GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 16 Dec 2018, 00:14

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in December
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • Prepare a Concrete Application Plan!

December 16, 2018

December 16, 2018

10:00 PM PST

11:00 PM PST

30-minutes personal consultation for application planning.
  • MBA Admissions Consulting: Five-Day Special for Hourly Services

December 17, 2018

December 17, 2018

09:00 PM PST

10:00 PM PST

There’s still time to enhance your resume, essays, and applications! Avanti Prep is offering Hourly Services for a flat rate of $175 per hour (no minimum) – a significantly below-market offer for one of the most well-regarded services available.

Important advice needed!

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
Important advice needed!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Nov 2018, 11:36
Hello ladies and gentlemen. I would need some advice on what to do next regarding my career. I am anxious to hear from you and would like to thank you in advance for your help.

I graduated in 2017 from a top (British) university (think Oxford/Cambridge/Imperial) with a first class honours degree (I am not quite sure how British grades compare to American ones, but I suppose it is equivalent to a GPA of about 3.7 or 3.8 out of 4) having read a "hard" science (think mathematics/physics/a combination of the two). I was accepted to study for a PhD at another top (British) university (think Oxford/Cambridge/Imperial yet again) in my last year, but decided to postpone my studies shortly thereafter for one academic year. The reason was very unfortunate: my dear brother was diagnosed with a very serious disease. Consequently, I wanted to spend a year with him in our home country (a small European nation- think Baltics/former Czechoslovakia/Balkans) as it was clear that he wasn't going to stay with us for very long. My brother passed away in August 2017. I spent the remainder of my gap year trying my hand at various jobs (including journalism in my home country, working at a major intergovernmental organisation abroad (think UN/EU), working as a personal assistant for a local MP) before deciding that academia wasn't my cup of tea and accepting a job offer at the largest asset management company in my country (working on alternatives) in July 2018.

The thing is, I don't really like my job (or rather my company) and would like to change and move abroad soon. The company I am working at is well known in my country and in some neighbouring ones, but probably unknown beyond that. I do believe that I have quite a lot of responsibilities though (more than my peers at similar jobs in England) and some more free time. I believe I can climb the ranks quickly and get promotions ahead of time. Furthermore, I made a number of significant contacts during my gap year, and I am confident I will be able to work on some interesting side projects in the next couple of years.

I wonder whether to:
1. apply for analyst level jobs in England (or similar) next year,
2. apply for a Master's degree in Finance (or similar) at LSE/LBS/Oxford/Cambridge/UCL and apply for jobs in England the year after (late 2020) or
3. work in my home country, get good letters and apply for a top MBA in late 2021.

I would really like to work in England (or America) as soon as possible, but even at the earliest I will be some 2-3-4 years older than my colleagues, which I don't fancy. On the other hand, I am unsure how my application for an MBA will be assessed by the admission committee since my company is unknown in the United States and Europe at large.

I would add that very few people from my country attend (and apply) to top MBAs, though the CEO of my company went to an M7 school. I haven't taken the GMAT yet, though I am cautiously optimistic.

I would like to know what you think about my situation, and what wisdom you have to share!
Intern
Intern
B
Re: Important advice needed!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Nov 2018, 19:59
According to me,
The third option is better for you..After MBA you will get wide career option..think on it and take a move
All the best

Online Electrical Training Courses

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 26 Nov 2018, 05:30
paragmahajan wrote:
According to me,
The third option is better for you..After MBA you will get wide career option..think on it and take a move
All the best

Thank you very much. Will think about it some more :)
Manager
Manager
S
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.1
WE: Analyst (Investment Banking)
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 26 Nov 2018, 05:51
Hey,

I'm not qualified to give you advice on the questions you've asked, however, if the age gap between you and your MBA peers is a big factor for you then you could consider getting promoted to leadership positions and applying for an Executive MBA. Something to think about.

Side note: You have stellar stats and are part of an underrepresented minority. With a couple of quick promotions, you could be a strong contender for an M7 Full Time MBA, should you opt for it. I'm sure that the age won't weigh against you and that the AdComs would understand your circumstances. Also, and I don't mean to be insensitive here, you can reflect on your year back home and use it to show how it's helped you grow. Such stories tend to be powerful and, if there's solid reasoning behind them, appreciated.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 26 Nov 2018, 06:22
shaarang wrote:
Hey,

I'm not qualified to give you advice on the questions you've asked, however, if the age gap between you and your MBA peers is a big factor for you then you could consider getting promoted to leadership positions and applying for an Executive MBA. Something to think about.

Side note: You have stellar stats and are part of an underrepresented minority. With a couple of quick promotions, you could be a strong contender for an M7 Full Time MBA, should you opt for it. I'm sure that the age won't weigh against you and that the AdComs would understand your circumstances. Also, and I don't mean to be insensitive here, you can reflect on your year back home and use it to show how it's helped you grow. Such stories tend to be powerful and, if there's solid reasoning behind them, appreciated.

Hi and thank you very much for your answer!

I don't think I will be older than my peers when doing an MBA (I think I will be 27 or 28 at my planned enrolment). What I meant is that I would be about 2 or 3 years older contrasted to my peers if I applied for entry level jobs next year (abroad).

My main worry about my MBA application would be the fact that my company is unknown to American adcoms, though I could leverage my internships in famous organisations and leadership roles to a certain degree (I suppose).
Manager
Manager
S
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.1
WE: Analyst (Investment Banking)
CAT Tests
Important advice needed!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Nov 2018, 06:49
SE1315 wrote:
shaarang wrote:
Hey,

Hi and thank you very much for your answer!

I don't think I will be older than my peers when doing an MBA (I think I will be 27 or 28 at my planned enrolment). What I meant is that I would be about 2 or 3 years older contrasted to my peers if I applied for entry level jobs next year (abroad).

My main worry about my MBA application would be the fact that my company is unknown to American adcoms, though I could leverage my internships in famous organisations and leadership roles to a certain degree (I suppose).

Ah, sorry, my mistake. Sure, name value can be a positive factor, but a smaller scale allows you to have a larger impact. If you can demonstrate a strong impact and a quick rise through the ranks, it could put you in a strong position. MBA applications have multiple variables and you can use certain variables to offset others. [Eg. I used my strong GMAT to offset my average GPA, and strong work experience to offset the demographic challenges - this helped me apply to T-15 schools] You'll need to consult a professional regarding the details, but all I'm saying is that you shouldn't rule out an MBA solely based on one factor, especially when you have so many strong positives in your application.
GMAT Club Bot
Important advice needed! &nbs [#permalink] 26 Nov 2018, 06:49

Important advice needed!

new topic post reply Update application status  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap