It is currently 12 Dec 2017, 23:37

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

In 1776 Adam Smith wrote that it is young people who have “the contemp

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Study Buddy Forum Moderator
G

Kudos [?]: 101 [0], given: 259

WE: Engineering (Other)
Premium Member CAT Tests
In 1776 Adam Smith wrote that it is young people who have “the contemp [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Sep 2017, 08:29
Hi arvind910619

I hope egmat / Shraddha would not mind replying on her behalf. ;)
Did you go through above link here

WR,
Arpit

Press kudos if you liked this post

Kudos [?]: 101 [0], given: 259

e-GMAT Discount CodesEMPOWERgmat Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount Codes
VP
VP
G

Kudos [?]: 89 [0], given: 564

Concentration: Operations, Marketing
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V36
GRE 1: 314 Q157 V157
GPA: 3.4
WE: Manufacturing and Production (Manufacturing)
CAT Tests
Re: In 1776 Adam Smith wrote that it is young people who have “the contemp [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Sep 2017, 05:46
adkikani wrote:
Hi arvind910619

I hope egmat / Shraddha would not mind replying on her behalf. ;)
Did you go through above link here

WR,
Arpit

Yes mate i read the mentioned post and now the concept is clear

We are more often frightened than hurt; and we suffer more from imagination than from reality

Kudos [?]: 89 [0], given: 564

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 14

Re: In 1776 Adam Smith wrote that it is young people who have “the contemp [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Sep 2017, 11:00
daagh wrote:
pikolo wrote

Quote:
Hello Sir,

I am confused between Option A and Option B, Can you explain the reasoning here?

A. In 1776 Adam Smith wrote that

it is young people who have “the contempt of risk and the presumptuous hope of success” needed(required) to found (establish) new businesses. This is a relative clause with the modifier phrase starting with 'who' modifying young people.

B. In 1776, Adam Smith wrote that

it is young people with “the contempt of risk and the presumptuous hope of success” needed to found new businesses. --- This prepositional modifier 'with' modifying young people lacks a verb to complete the meaning.

Therefore, A is correct.

Hello, so can we conclude that the prespositional modifier with always needs a verb ?

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 14

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 7

Show Tags

New post 25 Nov 2017, 17:02
egmat wrote:
goforgmat wrote:
sayantanc2k , chetan2u

Can you explain this one in detail. i cannot understand this .

In 1776 Adam Smith wrote that it is young people who have “the contempt of risk and the presumptuous hope of success” <Dont we need a verb here. it seems incomplete to read> needed to found new businesses.

Hello goforgmat,

I will be glad to help you out with this one. :-)

In 1776 Adam Smith wrote that it is young people who have “the contempt of risk and the presumptuous hope of success” needed to found new businesses.

Let's first understand the meaning of this sentence. The sentence intends to say that Adam Smith wrote something in 1776. What did he write?

He wrote that young people possess two qualities (if I may): “the contempt of risk and the presumptuous hope of success”. What is the significance of these two qualities.

These two qualities are required to found = establish new businesses.

Now let's come to the grammar part of it.

In the above-mentioned sentence, the subjects are highlighted in blue while the verbs are in green. All the subjects have appropriate verbs.

Please note that the word needed is a verb-ed modifier that further explains “the contempt of risk and the presumptuous hope of success”.

We do not need anymore verbs in the sentence as there are no subjects with missing verbs.

We may expand this sentence as In 1776 Adam Smith wrote that it is young people who have “the contempt of risk and the presumptuous hope of success” that are needed to found new businesses.

The added that clause is just the expanded version of the original sentence. We actually derive verb-ed modifiers in this way by removing the subject and the helping verb.

You can read our very famous article named ED FORMS - Verbs or Modifiers to learn how to distinguish between a verb-ed modifier and a simple past tense verb in the following link:
https://gmatclub.com/forum/ed-forms-verbs-or-modifiers-134691.html

Hope this helps. :-)
Thanks.
Shraddha

Hi egmat/Shraddha,

Thanks for your wonderful explanation!

Could you please tell us why options B, C, D & E are wrong? I couldn't eliminate them on strong reasons.

Thanks in advance!

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 7

Re: In 1776 Adam Smith wrote that it is young people who have “the contemp   [#permalink] 25 Nov 2017, 17:02

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 24 posts ] 

In 1776 Adam Smith wrote that it is young people who have “the contemp

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap