GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 20 Oct 2018, 06:34

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

In a class, 30 percent of the boys read The Telegraph every day. Boys

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 50004
In a class, 30 percent of the boys read The Telegraph every day. Boys  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Jun 2017, 04:15
1
4
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  55% (hard)

Question Stats:

60% (02:29) correct 40% (02:09) wrong based on 60 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

In a class, 30 percent of the boys read The Telegraph every day. Boys constitute 60 percent of the class and 40 percent of the whole class reads The Telegraph. What percentage of the class reads only gossip pages or only cartoons?

(1) Among the boys who read The Telegraph, 40 percent read only the cartoons and the rest read only the sports pages.
(2) Among the girls who read The Telegraph, 60 percent read only the gossip pages and the rest read only the fashion pages.

_________________

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.


What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

Director
Director
User avatar
P
Joined: 18 Aug 2016
Posts: 625
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 630 Q47 V29
GMAT 2: 740 Q51 V38
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: In a class, 30 percent of the boys read The Telegraph every day. Boys  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Jun 2017, 07:46
Bunuel wrote:
In a class, 30 percent of the boys read The Telegraph every day. Boys constitute 60 percent of the class and 40 percent of the whole class reads The Telegraph. What percentage of the class reads only gossip pages or only cartoons?

(1) Among the boys who read The Telegraph, 40 percent read only the cartoons and the rest read only the sports pages.
(2) Among the girls who read The Telegraph, 60 percent read only the gossip pages and the rest read only the fashion pages.



Boys = 60%
Girls = 40%
Telegraph +Boys = 30% of 60% = 18%
Telegraph = 40%
Telegraph +Girls = 22%


(1) Telegraph + Boys + Only Cartoon = 40% of 18% (Rest do not read only cartoon or only gossip)

(2) Telegraph +Girls + Only Gossip Pages = 60% of 22% ((Rest do not read only cartoon or only gossip)

Question is what % of reads only gossip pages or only cartoons (the question does not asks within telegraph reading population)

What if Boys + other source than telegraph for reading only gossip or only cartoon (means we do not have the information about boys who do not read telegraph)
What if Girls + other source than telegraph for reading only gossip or only cartoon (means we do not have the information about girls who do not read telegraph)

Hence E
_________________

We must try to achieve the best within us


Thanks
Luckisnoexcuse

Senior PS Moderator
User avatar
V
Joined: 26 Feb 2016
Posts: 3187
Location: India
GPA: 3.12
Premium Member CAT Tests
In a class, 30 percent of the boys read The Telegraph every day. Boys  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Jun 2017, 11:28
Assume the total number of students to be 300
From the question stem,
the number of boys are 180 and the number of girls are 120.
It has been given that 30% of the boys read The Telegraph(which is 30% of 180 = 54)
Since it is said that 40% of the whole class read The Telegraph, the number of girls reading the Telegraph are 66

We need to evaluate the percentage of the class which reads only Gossip/only Cartoons?

1. Among the boys who read The Telegraph, 40 percent read only the cartoons and the rest read only the sports pages.
Of the total number of boys 40% read only Cartoons and the rest(60%) read only Sports.
But, we do not have any information about the girls. Hence, insufficient.

2. Among the girls who read The Telegraph, 60 percent read only the gossip pages and the rest read only the fashion pages.
Of the total number of girls who read the Telegraph, 60% read only Gossip and the rest(40%) read only Fashion pages.
But, we do not have any information about the boys Hence, insufficient.

Combining both the statements,
we can evaluate the percentage of the class which reads only Gossip/only Cartoons
=> (40% of the boys reading Telegraph + 60% of the girls reading Telegraph) (Sufficient) (Option C)
_________________

You've got what it takes, but it will take everything you've got

Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 06 Nov 2016
Posts: 103
Location: India
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V36
GPA: 2.8
Reviews Badge
Re: In a class, 30 percent of the boys read The Telegraph every day. Boys  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Jun 2017, 21:10
Answer C:
X- total students
Question: 30% of 60% boys - reading telegraph: 18%of X
similarly, total girls reading telegraph: 22% of X

Statement 1: No info about girls given:
Only states: 40% of 18% of X (7.2% of X) reads cartoons
Insuff

Statement 2: No info about boys given:
States: 60% of 22% of X reads gossip
Insuff

Combining - you get an answer

7.2% + 13.2% of X
Non-Human User
User avatar
Joined: 09 Sep 2013
Posts: 8467
Premium Member
Re: In a class, 30 percent of the boys read The Telegraph every day. Boys  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Sep 2018, 09:59
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
_________________

GMAT Books | GMAT Club Tests | Best Prices on GMAT Courses | GMAT Mobile App | Math Resources | Verbal Resources

GMAT Club Bot
Re: In a class, 30 percent of the boys read The Telegraph every day. Boys &nbs [#permalink] 25 Sep 2018, 09:59
Display posts from previous: Sort by

In a class, 30 percent of the boys read The Telegraph every day. Boys

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.