It is currently 21 Nov 2017, 21:27

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

In a state of pure commercial competition, there would be a large numb

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

Kudos [?]: 62 [0], given: 50

Schools: Duke '20, Tepper '20
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V33
GMAT 2: 700 Q50 V33
GPA: 4
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: In a state of pure commercial competition, there would be a large numb [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 May 2017, 22:43
each is better modifier than all for the firms. one another is awkward b/w D and E. successfully is shifted changing meaning. so answer is D

Sent from my ONE A2003 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

Kudos [?]: 62 [0], given: 50

BSchool Forum Moderator
G

Kudos [?]: 214 [0], given: 199

GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V37
GPA: 3.65
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: In a state of pure commercial competition, there would be a large numb [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Jul 2017, 04:32
In a state of pure commercial competition, there would be a large number of producing firms, all unfettered by governmental regulations, all seeking to meet consumer needs and wants more successfully than each other.

A) all seeking to meet consumer needs and wants more successfully than each other.
B) all seeking more successfully to meet consumer needs and wants than the others.
C) each seeking to meet consumer needs and wants more successfully than one another
D) each seeking to meet consumer needs and wants more successfully than the others.
E) each seeking successfully to meet consumer needs and wants than another

Compilation of Blogs by Mike Mcgarry - Magoosh

Kudos [?]: 214 [0], given: 199

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 258

Schools: LBS '18

Show Tags

New post 21 Sep 2017, 09:57
mikemcgarry wrote:
hfbamafan wrote:
In a state of pure commercial competition, there would be a large number of producing firms, all unfettered by governmental regulations, all seeking to meet consumer needs and wants more successfully than each other.

A) all seeking to meet consumer needs and wants more successfully than each other.
B) all seeking more successfully to meet consumer needs and wants than the others.
C) each seeking to meet consumer needs and wants more successfully than one another.
D) each seeking to meet consumer needs and wants more successfully than the others.
E) each seeking successfully to meet consumer needs and wants than another

imhimanshu wrote:
Dear Mike,
Would you please put your thoughts across on this GMAT Prep question --- I am looking on the usage of each other vs one another. Though some experts have put their comments on it, I found the explanation somehow unconvincing. Moreover, the correct choice seems to compare singular(each) vs plural (the others). Please help.
Thanks, Himanshu

Dear Himanshu,
I'm happy to help. :-) I really like this question --- a good logical puzzle. BTW, added the OA at the top of the thread.

First of all, the phrase "all unfettered by governmental regulations" describes what the companies all have in common, what makes the similar. The part in the underlined section is about what divides them, what pits them one against another. That's why the underlined section must begin with "each", so (A) & (B) are out.

Choice (E) lacks the comparative, so the "than" makes no sense. That's incorrect.

Between (C) & (D) we have this brilliant and subtle split --- "one another" vs. "the others". The phrase "one another" implies a relationship that is the same between any two elements of a set. If we say ---
The students in the class like one another.
--- this means: if we were to pick any random pair from the class, we would expect those two students to like each other. The same relationship is true between any two pairs we could select from the group. The phrase "one another" works best for relationships, whether like or dislike, that can be uniform throughout a group. There is something inherently illogical about using "one another" with any comparative. Furthermore, "one another" implies a whole-group situation, so it naturally goes with "all" --- "All the X do Q to one another." For this reason, there's also something inherently illogical about using "each" with "one another". The word "each" talks about a member individually --- as an individual, I can strive to be the best, or to defeat everyone else, or something such as that, but I can't, on my own, create any kind of "one another" relationship --- that take the whole group, not merely one individual in isolation. For these reasons, (C) can't possible be correct, so this leaves (D), the OA.

You're perfectly right --- (D) sets an individual, each individual firm, against all the others, singular vs. plural. Suppose there are, say, 20 firms in a particular sector. Each one thinks, "We want to be more successful than the other 19 in this sector!" There's nothing grammatically or logical wrong about a singular vs. plural comparison --- it happens all the time in academics, in sports,and in politics.

Does all this make sense?

mikemcgarry
option e has more missing ,while in the gmat question pack 1
VSC001641 CODE
option e clearly states that
each seeking more successfully to meet consumer needs and wants than another.
Most of the explanations are directed stating that option e misses the comparative , but clearly there is a more in the question option .

Expert Post
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
G

Kudos [?]: 8768 [0], given: 105

Show Tags

New post 21 Sep 2017, 12:28
Ravindra.here wrote:
mikemcgarry
VSC001641 CODE
Most of the explanations are directed stating that option e misses the comparative , but clearly there is a more in the question option .

Dear Ravindra.here,

My friend, please post a screen shot of the question as an image in this thread.

Thanks,
Mike :-)

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire. — William Butler Yeats (1865 – 1939)

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 10 [1], given: 258

Show Tags

New post 21 Sep 2017, 13:45
This post received
KUDOS
mikemcgarry wrote:
Ravindra.here wrote:
mikemcgarry
VSC001641 CODE

Dear Ravindra.here,

My friend, please post a screen shot of the question as an image in this thread.

Thanks,

mikemcgarry mike here it is. Please check
Attachments

File comment: More is there in answer option e
IMG_20170922_021201.jpg
IMG_20170922_021201.jpg [ 7.52 MiB | Viewed 195 times ]

Kudos [?]: 10 [1], given: 258

Expert Post
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
G

Show Tags

New post 21 Sep 2017, 21:17
Ravindra.here wrote:
mike here it is. Please check

Dear Ravindra.here,

Thank you, my friend. I changed (E) in the prompt at the top of this thread.

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire. — William Butler Yeats (1865 – 1939)

Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 21 Sep 2017, 22:52
mikemcgarry wrote:
Ravindra.here wrote:
mike here it is. Please check

Dear Ravindra.here,

Thank you, my friend. I changed (E) in the prompt at the top of this thread.

mikemcgarry mike can you please explain why e is wrong. I chose e, it has a comparative more than. I didnt get the explanation from gmat

Expert Post
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
G

Show Tags

New post 22 Sep 2017, 09:30
Ravindra.here wrote:
mikemcgarry mike can you please explain why e is wrong. I chose e, it has a comparative more than. I didnt get the explanation from gmat

Dear Ravindra.here,

I'm happy to respond. :-)

Here's (E), the corrected version:
. . . each seeking more successfully to meet consumer needs and wants than another

Now, here's the funny thing about modifiers. For adjectives and adjectival modifiers (i.e. noun modifiers), the Modifier Touch Rule is a powerful rule---it has a few exceptions, but with this rule in effect, placement of noun modifiers is highly restricted. In contrast, adverbs and adverbial modifiers (i.e. verb modifiers) are relatively free in their placement. The only limit to this freedom is when the placement of the verbal modifier might lead to ambiguity about which verb is being modified. BTW, also remember that verb modifiers can modify a full verb or any form derived from a verb, including infinitives, participles, and gerunds.

That's the precisely the problem with (E). The adverb "more successfully" is intended to modify "meet," but it's closer to "seeking," so it sounds as if that's the verb it's trying to modify. Choice (E) sounds as if it is saying that each firm is doing a better job of seeking to meet consumer needs, rather then seeking to do a better job of meeting consumer needs. This is illogical and different from the meaning in the prompt.

Does all this make sense?

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Re: In a state of pure commercial competition, there would be a large numb   [#permalink] 22 Sep 2017, 09:30

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 28 posts ] 

In a state of pure commercial competition, there would be a large numb

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap