GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 20 Jul 2018, 19:11

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

In addition to the boom in tax revenue, the federal government’s books

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 650 Q50 V27
GMAT ToolKit User
In addition to the boom in tax revenue, the federal government’s books  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Sep 2015, 10:56
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

85% (hard)

Question Stats:

49% (01:17) correct 51% (01:16) wrong based on 762 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

In addition to the boom in tax revenue, the federal government’s books are being helped by lower defense spending, a drop in outlays for benefits like Medicaid, and proceeds from the sales of General Motors and Chrysler, the automakers that were taken over by Washington in 2009.

(A) are being helped by lower defense spending, a drop in outlays for benefits like Medicaid, and proceeds from the sales of General Motors and Chrysler, the automakers

(B) have been helped by lower defense spending, a drop in outlays for benefits like Medicaid, and by proceeds from the sales of General Motors and Chrysler, automakers

(C) have been helped by lower defense spending, a drop in outlays for benefits like Medicaid, proceeds from the sales of General Motors and Chrysler, and by the automakers

(D) are being helped by lower defense spending, by a drop in outlays for benefits like Medicaid, and proceeds from the sales of General Motors and Chrysler, the automakers

(E) were helped by lower defense spending and a drop in outlays for benefits like Medicaid, also by proceeds from the sales of General Motors and Chrysler, the automakers

Please kindly click on "+1 Kudos", if you think my post is useful

1 KUDOS received
BSchool Forum Moderator
Concentration: International Business, Marketing
GMAT Date: 06-06-2014
GPA: 3.07
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: In addition to the boom in tax revenue, the federal government’s books  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Sep 2015, 11:25
In addition to the boom in tax revenue, the federal government’s books are being helped by lower defense spending, a drop in outlays for benefits like Medicaid, and proceeds from the sales of General Motors and Chrysler, the automakers that were taken over by Washington in 2009.

(A) are being helped by lower defense spending, a drop in outlays for benefits like Medicaid, and proceeds from the sales of General Motors and Chrysler, the automakers
(B) have been helped by lower defense spending, a drop in outlays for benefits like Medicaid, and by proceeds from the sales of General Motors and Chrysler, automakers
(C) have been helped by lower defense spending, a drop in outlays for benefits like Medicaid, proceeds from the sales of General Motors and Chrysler, and by the automakers
(D) are being helped by lower defense spending, by a drop in outlays for benefits like Medicaid, and proceeds from the sales of General Motors and Chrysler, the automakers
(E) were helped by lower defense spending and a drop in outlays for benefits like Medicaid, also by proceeds from the sales of General Motors and Chrysler, the automakers

After eliminating C, D,E base on their wrong appositive modifier. There are only A and B, B has present perfect tense, which is unnecessary because there is no sign of that tense in this sentence. The remaining correct answer is A

Rules for posting in verbal gmat forum, read it before posting anything in verbal forum
Giving me + 1 kudos if my post is valuable with you :)

The more you like my post, the more you share to other's need

CR: Focus of the Week: Must be True Question

Expert Post
4 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
P
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Re: In addition to the boom in tax revenue, the federal government’s books  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Sep 2015, 21:25
Just cast aside B, C and E for using in appropriate tense for a currently ongoing phenomenon. Between A and D, D misuses the prepositional parallelism by using the preposition for the first two items while missing the same for the third item. A maintains elegant parallelism by using the preposition for the first item and skipping it for the rest

you can know a lot about something and not really understand it."-- a quote
No one knows this better than a GMAT student does.
Narendran +9198845 44509

Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 20 Sep 2015, 23:04
daagh wrote:
Just cast aside B, C and E for using in appropriate tense for a currently ongoing phenomenon. Between A and D, D misuses the prepositional parallelism by using the preposition for the first two items while missing the same for the third item. A maintains elegant parallelism by using the preposition for the first item and skipping it for the rest

Damn it!!! I again chose D over A.

Would this have been a correct sentence correction?

(D) are being helped by lower defense spending, by a drop in outlays for benefits like Medicaid, and BY proceeds from the sales of General Motors and Chrysler, the automakers

Thanks,
Rohan
Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 21 Sep 2015, 21:11
rohan89 wrote:

(D) are being helped by lower defense spending, by a drop in outlays for benefits like Medicaid, and BY proceeds from the sales of General Motors and Chrysler, the automakers

The sentence is using "like". I am surprised because is it not the intent to mention "Medicaid" as an example? So, I believe the sentence should be using "such as".
Current Student
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
GMAT 1: 680 Q48 V34
GMAT 2: 700 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.6
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 04 Oct 2015, 11:34
daagh wrote:

I was wondering does B has any other problem apart the tense? If in B it was "are being"instead of "have been". Also, Though it is not -underlined isn't the use of like is wrong in each sentence rather it should be "such as.

Beat verbal, Beat GMAT...;)
Trying Hard to do that.....

Kudos if my post helped you

Retired Moderator
S

Show Tags

New post 05 Oct 2015, 04:39

GM and Chrysler are the automakers that were taken over by Washington.
and everything else is in present tense.
automakers are specific and therefore article is needed before them.

(A)correct choice

(B)present perfect tense is used instead of simple present tense,
by proceeds breaks the rule of parallelism
Article the is removed

(C) conjunction and is removed thereby hampering the sentence
present perfect tense error repeats here
and by the automakers incorrectly modifies GM and Chrysler

(D) by a drop in non essential modifier spoils the sentence here

(E) past tense were helped is used here instead of present tense
non essential modifier is forcibly made parallel to the main sentence
also by proceeds does not make any sense by meaning.

The only time you can lose is when you give up. Try hard and you will suceed.
Thanks = Kudos. Kudos are appreciated

http://gmatclub.com/forum/rules-for-posting-in-verbal-gmat-forum-134642.html
When you post a question Pls. Provide its source & TAG your questions
Avoid posting from unreliable sources.

My posts
http://gmatclub.com/forum/beauty-of-coordinate-geometry-213760.html#p1649924
http://gmatclub.com/forum/calling-all-march-april-gmat-takers-who-want-to-cross-213154.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/possessive-pronouns-200496.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/double-negatives-206717.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/the-greatest-integer-function-223595.html#p1721773
https://gmatclub.com/forum/improve-reading-habit-233410.html#p1802265

3 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
S

Show Tags

New post 06 Oct 2015, 16:10
sahil7389 wrote:
daagh wrote:

I was wondering does B has any other problem apart the tense? If in B it was "are being"instead of "have been". Also, Though it is not -underlined isn't the use of like is wrong in each sentence rather it should be "such as.

sahil7389
This is in response to you PM.

The federal government’s books are being helped by 4 factors
  • boom in tax revenue,
  • lower defense spending,
  • a drop in outlays for benefits like Medicaid, and
  • proceeds from the sales of General Motors and Chrysler

here note two things
  • Proceeds means Money obtained from an event or activity.
  • Outlay means an amount of money spent on something.

General Motors and Chrysler are the automakers that were taken over by Washington in 2009.

In the given sentence one of factor is added in subjunctive phrase added as an additional info modifying the subject government books.
the structure is similar to
In addition to D, books are helped by A, B and C.
All the factors A, B, C and D are parallel in given sentence and is correct.

Coming to option B
In addition to the boom in tax revenue,
the federal government’s books have been helped by
  • lower defense spending,
  • a drop in outlays for benefits like Medicaid, and
  • by proceeds from the sales of General Motors and Chrysler,

we can see that by proceeds is not parallel to other factors.
I hope this helps :)

The only time you can lose is when you give up. Try hard and you will suceed.
Thanks = Kudos. Kudos are appreciated

http://gmatclub.com/forum/rules-for-posting-in-verbal-gmat-forum-134642.html
When you post a question Pls. Provide its source & TAG your questions
Avoid posting from unreliable sources.

My posts
http://gmatclub.com/forum/beauty-of-coordinate-geometry-213760.html#p1649924
http://gmatclub.com/forum/calling-all-march-april-gmat-takers-who-want-to-cross-213154.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/possessive-pronouns-200496.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/double-negatives-206717.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/the-greatest-integer-function-223595.html#p1721773
https://gmatclub.com/forum/improve-reading-habit-233410.html#p1802265

Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 07 May 2016, 12:39
daagh wrote:

Hi daagh / chetan2u,

Can you please suggest whats wrong with present perfect tense in option B and C.

Why can't we use present perfect tense in this sentence.

Just cast aside B, C and E for using in appropriate tense for a currently ongoing phenomenon.

How did you get to know that its an ongoing phenomenon..?

Please assist.

Thanks and Regards,
Prakhar

Thanks and Regards,
Prakhar

Intern
Intern
B
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 15 Mar 2018, 20:26
daagh wrote:

Hi daagh , MagooshExpert GMATNinja

Can we on first strike strike out B and C and choose A D E as A D E has "Automaker's name",THE automakers--- 'the' highlighting the automakers being referred... like "the Taj' ?

I selected A only as the correct answer but wanted to know if I can keep this as one strategy to strike out B and C.

Thanks,

ucb2k7

[edited]

Originally posted by ucb2k7 on 13 Mar 2018, 22:58.
Last edited by ucb2k7 on 15 Mar 2018, 20:26, edited 1 time in total.
VP
VP
P
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V36
GRE 1: Q157 V157
GPA: 3.4
WE: Engineering (Manufacturing)
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 10 Jun 2018, 00:26
alphaseeker wrote:

Imo A
This question tests on two concepts 1) Tense
The federal government’s books are being helped by all the factors .It is an ongoing phenomenon so we have to use present continuous tense .

2)There is a list of factors which contribute to the government's books .

So we have to use correct list
By X , Y and Z or
By X, by Y , and by Z

Also there is an absolute modifier at the end of the original sentence that modifies modifies General Motors and Chrysler .

A correct

B List is wrong

C Makes absolute modifier part of the main clause and includes it in the list -clearly wrong .This choice suggests that there were other automobile companies other that the General Motors and Chrysler.

D List is wrong

E Past tense is not required also list is horrible in in E

Please give kudos if you found my answers useful

Originally posted by arvind910619 on 14 Mar 2018, 06:49.
Last edited by arvind910619 on 10 Jun 2018, 00:26, edited 1 time in total.
Expert Post
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
S

Show Tags

New post 15 Mar 2018, 17:30
ucb2k7 wrote:

Can we on first strike strike out B and D and choose A C E as A C E has "Automaker's name",THE automakers--- 'the' highlighting the automakers being referred... like "the Taj' ?

I selected A only as the correct answer but wanted to know if I can keep this as one strategy to strike out B and D.

Thanks,

ucb2k7

Hi ucb2k7!

I want to make sure I'm understanding your question correctly -- I see "the automakers" in all answer choices except for B. Could you clarify a little more what you mean here?

Thanks! :-)
-Carolyn

Magoosh Test Prep

Intern
Intern
B
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 15 Mar 2018, 20:23
MagooshExpert wrote:
ucb2k7 wrote:

Can we on first strike strike out B and D and choose A C E as A C E has "Automaker's name",THE automakers--- 'the' highlighting the automakers being referred... like "the Taj' ?

I selected A only as the correct answer but wanted to know if I can keep this as one strategy to strike out B and D.

Thanks,

ucb2k7

Hi ucb2k7!

I want to make sure I'm understanding your question correctly -- I see "the automakers" in all answer choices except for B. Could you clarify a little more what you mean here?

Thanks! :-)
-Carolyn

----------------------------------
Hi MagooshExpert,

I am sorry it is choice B and C to strike out. Answer choice B has 'automakers' . Answer choice C does the mistake of writing 'by the automakers' after the name of the automaker is mentioned. What I am asking here is can we strike out B on the basis of the missing 'the' before automakers as it should have 'the' before automakers as we are referring to a specific brand here...like 'the Taj'.

Thanks,

ucb2k7
Expert Post
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
S

Show Tags

New post 16 Mar 2018, 19:23
ucb2k7 wrote:
Hi MagooshExpert,

I am sorry it is choice B and C to strike out. Answer choice B has 'automakers' . Answer choice C does the mistake of writing 'by the automakers' after the name of the automaker is mentioned. What I am asking here is can we strike out B on the basis of the missing 'the' before automakers as it should have 'the' before automakers as we are referring to a specific brand here...like 'the Taj'.

Thanks,

ucb2k7

Hi ucb2k7!

Thanks for clarifying :-)

Here, you are correct that removing "the" slightly changes the meaning of the sentence. However, I'm not sure that in this case we can be 100% sure of the intended meaning of the sentence, and so it shouldn't be a basis alone to eliminate choice B. We don't know from the context whether there were more than just those two automakers that were taken over by Washington in 2009. If there were more than two, then we would correctly remove "the". But if those are the only two, then we do need "the" there. If we knew the answer to that question, we could definitively say which one is correct, but since we don't, it's not necessarily a good reason to eliminate B right away.

Hope that helps! :-)
-Carolyn

Magoosh Test Prep

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
Affiliations: NA
GMAT 1: 590 Q50 V21
GMAT 2: 600 Q48 V25
GMAT 3: 730 Q51 V37
GPA: 3.5

Show Tags

New post 18 Mar 2018, 22:50
alphaseeker wrote:

1st Split : Absolute phrase ' A drop in .....'

Since this phrase is modifying noun ' lower defense spending' it should be preceded by only comma . Therefore D and E can be eliminated.

2nd Split : parallelism between 2 verbs 'are being helped' and 'proceeds'

Therefore wrong parallelism shown in option B makes this option incorrect.

Last, between A and C , C is wrong because the last absolute modifier at the end is made parallel to 'lower defense spending', which doesn't make sense.

Hence, the winner is A despite of unusual phrase at the start.

Note: Don't discard a choice just because 'being' is used in that.

#If you like my post , please encourage me by giving Kudos :)

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 01 Apr 2018, 17:48
sukanyar wrote:
rohan89 wrote:

The sentence is using "like". I am surprised because is it not the intent to mention "Medicaid" as an example? So, I believe the sentence should be using "such as".

I am still wondering the same thing here.. even though there are no answers with “such as”, wouldn’t that be the correct form?

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 10 Jun 2018, 20:08
I have seen this question in Veritas practice test. The difficulty of this question in Veritas was 650-700, but here in GMAT club it is 85% difficult. And I have encountered this several times that GMAT club shows question to be more difficult than Veritas.So to gauge my progress which one should I consider correct ?
Please Help.
THanks in advance
Board of Directors
V
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 11 Jun 2018, 01:27
aksh5900 wrote:
I have seen this question in Veritas practice test. The difficulty of this question in Veritas was 650-700, but here in GMAT club it is 85% difficult. And I have encountered this several times that GMAT club shows question to be more difficult than Veritas.So to gauge my progress which one should I consider correct ?
Please Help.
THanks in advance

Hey aksh5900 ,

I am happy to help :-)

Difficulty level of a question on GMATClub is determined autmatically by the system based on a couple of paramaters such as the number of correct sessions vs number of incorrect sessions, time taken by users.

So, if you see the difficulty level as 85% hard, it means many test takers found this question difficult/got it wrong or too more time to solve it.

I hope that helps.

My GMAT Story: From V21 to V40
My MBA Journey: My 10 years long MBA Dream
My Secret Hacks: Best way to use GMATClub | Importance of an Error Log!
Verbal Resources: All SC Resources at one place | All CR Resources at one place
Blog: Subscribe to Question of the Day Blog

GMAT Club Inbuilt Error Log Functionality - View More.
New Visa Forum - Ask all your Visa Related Questions - here.

New! Best Reply Functionality on GMAT Club!

Find a bug in the new email templates and get rewarded with 2 weeks of GMATClub Tests for free

Re: In addition to the boom in tax revenue, the federal government’s books &nbs [#permalink] 11 Jun 2018, 01:27

In addition to the boom in tax revenue, the federal government’s books

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap