Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 22:16 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 22:16

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: 605-655 Levelx   Businessx   Short Passagex                     
Show Tags
Hide Tags
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63658 [1]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 67 [0]
Given Kudos: 626
Send PM
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63658 [0]

Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Goizueta '25
GMAT 1: 600 Q47 V27
Send PM
Re: In corporate purchasing, competitive scrutiny is typically limited to [#permalink]
How much time should one take to solve questions with similar passage length as this passage? I took 10 mins with all correct answers.
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32893 [0]
Given Kudos: 5776
GPA: 3.62
Send PM
Re: In corporate purchasing, competitive scrutiny is typically limited to [#permalink]
Expert Reply
pratiksha1998 wrote:
How much time should one take to solve questions with similar passage length as this passage? I took 10 mins with all correct answers.

There is no complicated procedure here, focus on your accuracy first and then set up your time concern. 2 minutes per question for RC is a simple formula. That's it.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 139
Send PM
Dear experts,

Could you pls elaborate the correct choice in Q1 and Q4?
I can eliminate the wrong choices but I don't actually understand the correct choices.

Q1
1. Which of the following best describes the relation of the second paragraph to the first?

(C) The second paragraph discusses the application of a strategy proposed in the first paragraph.

What are the application and the strategy here?

Q4
4. It can be inferred that the author of the passage would be most likely to make which of the following recommendations to a company purchasing health care benefits for its employees?

(C) Obtain bids from other providers of health care benefits in order to be in a position to negotiate a better deal with the current provider.

<Actually, I am not sure (A) and (C)> but I choose (C) because if I were the manager or person-in-charge, I would do (C)... I does make much sense.. but I have found no where in the passage. How can we infer (C)?
Target Test Prep Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 507 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51
Send PM
Expert Reply
Tanchat wrote:
Q1
1. Which of the following best describes the relation of the second paragraph to the first?

The strategy in the first paragraph is
“supplier partnerships” (arrangements in which the purchaser forgoes the right to pursue alternative suppliers)

In other words, the strategy is for buyers (companies buying wholesale) to form exclusive partnerships with suppliers. The comment in parentheses notes something that's true for all exclusive partnerships: They ELIMINATE potential competition between/among suppliers for the buyer's business.

Next sentence:
There are two independent variables—availability of alternatives and ease of changing suppliers—that companies should use to evaluate the feasibility of subjecting suppliers of indirect purchases to competitive scrutiny.

This pink thing is the same as the pink thing above. It's the OPPOSITE of "the strategy".

Let's color-code the second paragraph in the same two ways (for "the strategy" and its opposite):

In Type 1 situations, there are many alternatives and change is relatively easy. Open pursuit of alternatives—by frequent competitive bidding, if possible—will likely yield the best results. In Type 2 situations, where there are many alternatives but change is difficult—as for providers of employee health-care benefits—it is important to continuously test the market and use the results to secure concessions [[RON: this means leveraging competition among suppliers, which "the strategy" wouldn't let you do]] from existing suppliers. Alternatives provide a credible threat to suppliers, even if the ability to switch is constrained. In Type 3 situations, there are few alternatives, but the ability to switch without difficulty creates a threat that companies can use to negotiate concessions from existing suppliers. In Type 4 situations, where there are few alternatives and change is difficult, partnerships may be unavoidable

So the whole second paragraph is "The strategy makes sense HERE but its opposite makes sense THERE"—in other words, specific applications of the strategy and its opposite.
Target Test Prep Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 507 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51
Send PM
Expert Reply
Tanchat wrote:
Q4
4. It can be inferred that the author of the passage would be most likely to make which of the following recommendations to a company purchasing health care benefits for its employees?

It's clear which part of the text is relevant here, because the entire green search term is reproduced almost verbatim:
In Type 2 situations[...]—as for providers of employee health-care benefits—it is important to [i]continuously test the market and use the results to secure concessions from existing suppliers.[/i]

So, we want whichever answer choice says basically this.

Quote:
(C) Obtain bids from other providers of health care benefits in order to be in a position to negotiate a better deal with the current provider.

Obtain bids from other providers of health care benefits = "test the market"
in order to be in a position to negotiate a better deal with the current provider = "use the results to secure concessions from existing suppliers"

This is definitely the choice we want.

What did you like about choice A? Not only does choice A fail to match the block of text that's plainly the relevant part here (above), but, in fact, I don't see any text matching choice A anywhere.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 23
Send PM
Can someone provide an explanation for Q-3?
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32893 [0]
Given Kudos: 5776
GPA: 3.62
Send PM
Expert Reply
aksh123456123456 wrote:
Can someone provide an explanation for Q-3?

Explained in the best way here in the post in the link below

https://gmatclub.com/forum/in-corporate ... l#p2852968

Cheers
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 197 [0]
Given Kudos: 146
Send PM
GMATNinja wrote:
zoezhuyan wrote:
dear AndrewN,and other experts:DavidTutorexamPAL
GMATNinja, GMATNinjaTwo, VeritasKarishma, AnthonyRitz, CJAnish, MartyTargetTestPrep,
VeritasPrepBrian,fiftyoneverbal
GMATRockstar
HowdyPartner

(A) The second paragraph offers proof of an assertion made in the first paragraph.
(B) The second paragraph provides an explanation for the occurrence of a situation described in the first paragraph.
(C) The second paragraph discusses the application of a strategy proposed in the first paragraph.
(D) The second paragraph examines the scope of a problem presented in the first paragraph.
(E) The second paragraph discusses the contradictions inherent in a relationship described in the first paragraph.

I am struggling with B and C of this question : I picked up B because I thought P2 is the more details of the 4 types mentioned in P1, so I thought this is explanation of 4 types in P1. also, I cannot understand the application in C, for me , application is something that tells you how to use the 4 types in different circumstances.

I recognized i frequently missed this kind of questions. I must have some reasoning bug or I haven't master the skills of this kind questions, would you please point out the test points behind this kind questions?

thanks in advance

There are a couple different things that are important to remember with this question. The first is the particulars of the question. In this instance, the question is asking for the relation of the two paragraphs. This means we have to identify the purpose of each paragraph. And the next thing to remember is that we have to be diligent in our process of elimination. We need to find reasons to eliminate answers and not talk ourselves into answers.

With that in mind, let’s take a look at (B):

Quote:
(B) The second paragraph provides an explanation for the occurrence of a situation described in the first paragraph.

The problem is that the first paragraph does not describe a situation. It describes a corporate purchasing strategy, namely competitive scrutiny with “indirect” purchases. Moreover, the second paragraph doesn’t explain an occurrence. It talks about how competitive scrutiny can/cannot be applied in four different situations. For those reasons, we can eliminate (B).

And here’s (C):

Quote:

As we identified above, the strategy discussed in the first paragraph is competitive scrutiny with “indirect” purchases. The second paragraph then describes how the competitive scrutiny can/cannot be applied in four different situations. This is exactly what is detailed in (C). “To apply” means to put into practice. And the second paragraph discusses how competitive scrutiny with “indirect” purchases can be put into practice. So, (C) is the best answer choice.

One other note on these questions: as we did above, it can be helpful to break down each part of an answer choice. For example, with (B), what exactly is the explanation in the second paragraph? Or with (C), what is the strategy proposed in the first paragraph? Being precise with the answer choices can make it much easier to eliminate incorrect options.

I hope that helps!

Struggling b/w option B & C?
Why it cannot be B? it surely describes a situation in P1.
GMAT Club Verbal Expert

Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply

Question 1

samagra21 wrote:
GMATNinja wrote:
zoezhuyan wrote:
Which of the following best describes the relation of the second paragraph to the first?

(A) The second paragraph offers proof of an assertion made in the first paragraph.
(D) The second paragraph examines the scope of a problem presented in the first paragraph.
(E) The second paragraph discusses the contradictions inherent in a relationship described in the first paragraph.

I am struggling with B and C of this question : I picked up B because I thought P2 is the more details of the 4 types mentioned in P1, so I thought this is explanation of 4 types in P1. also, I cannot understand the application in C, for me , application is something that tells you how to use the 4 types in different circumstances.

I recognized i frequently missed this kind of questions. I must have some reasoning bug or I haven't master the skills of this kind questions, would you please point out the test points behind this kind questions?

thanks in advance

There are a couple of different things that are important to remember with this question. The first is the particulars of the question. In this instance, the question is asking for the relation of the two paragraphs. This means we have to identify the purpose of each paragraph. And the next thing to remember is that we have to be diligent in our process of elimination. We need to find reasons to eliminate answers and not talk ourselves into answers.

With that in mind, let’s take a look at (B):

Quote:
The second paragraph provides an explanation for the occurrence of a situation described in the first paragraph.

The problem is that the first paragraph does not describe a situation. It describes a corporate purchasing strategy, namely competitive scrutiny with “indirect” purchases. Moreover, the second paragraph doesn’t explain an occurrence. It talks about how competitive scrutiny can/cannot be applied in four different situations. For those reasons, we can eliminate (B).

And here’s (C):

Quote:
The second paragraph discusses the application of a strategy proposed in the first paragraph.

As we identified above, the strategy discussed in the first paragraph is competitive scrutiny with “indirect” purchases. The second paragraph then describes how the competitive scrutiny can/cannot be applied in four different situations. This is exactly what is detailed in (C). “To apply” means to put into practice. And the second paragraph discusses how competitive scrutiny with “indirect” purchases can be put into practice. So, (C) is the best answer choice.

One other note on these questions: as we did above, it can be helpful to break down each part of an answer choice. For example, with (B), what exactly is the explanation in the second paragraph? Or with (C), what is the strategy proposed in the first paragraph? Being precise with the answer choices can make it much easier to eliminate incorrect options.

I hope that helps!

Struggling b/w option B & C?
Why it cannot be B? it surely describes a situation in P1.

Question 1 asks us to "describe the relation of the second paragraph to the first." So, we're trying to understand why the author wrote each paragraph, and how they fit together.

Could you say that P1 describes a situation? I suppose you could, in a broad sense. But what the author REALLY cares about in that paragraph isn't just neutral description. He/she actually argues for a particular business strategy: "companies should use [two things] to evaluate the feasibility of subjecting suppliers of indirect purchases to competitive scrutiny." Then, in the second paragraph, the author describes how the above would play out when applied in different scenarios.

All of this aligns really nicely with (C): "The second paragraph discusses the application of a strategy proposed in the first paragraph."

(B), on the other hand, runs into issues when describing the role of both paragraphs. As mentioned above, the point of the first paragraph isn't to describe stuff, it's to propose a business strategy. Additionally, the second paragraph doesn't "provide an explanation" for the first paragraph. To "provide an explanation" for something would be to explain how that situation came about initially, or to provide a backstory for that situation.

Instead of filling in the backstory, the second paragraph describes what could happen if the proposed strategy was applied. So the second paragraph is looking AHEAD to what could happen, not behind to provide an explanation for something that already happened.

For these reasons, (B) is out and (C) is the correct answer to question 1.

I hope that helps!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 109
Send PM
Hello, for Q2, why is B correct though?
Sounds like the purchaser pays less but in exchange they only buy from the supplier..

GMATNinja wrote:
Harsh2111s wrote:
Q2 E
Q4 E.

Whats wrong with these options ?

Question 2

Question 2 asks, "Which of the following can be inferred about supplier partnerships, as they are described in the passage?"

According to the passage, supplier partnerships are "arrangements in which the purchaser forgoes the right to pursue alternative suppliers."

So if firm A enters into supplier partnership with firm B, then firm A commits to purchasing agreed-upon supplies from firm B — and firm A cannot pursue those same supplies from any other firm.

After defining this term, the author spends all of paragraph 2 describing four situations and explaining how firms should think about supplier partnerships within each situation:

1. Many alternatives and change is relatively easy -> Open pursuit of alternatives will likely yield the best results.
    2. Many alternatives but change is difficult -> Continuously test the market and use the results to secure concessions from existing suppliers.
    3. Few alternatives but change is easy -> Negotiate concessions from existing suppliers.
    4. Few alternatives and change is difficult -> Partnerships may be unavoidable.

Now, here's what Choice (E) says about supplier partnerships:

Quote:
(E) They are least appropriate when the purchasers' ability to change suppliers is limited.

This does NOT match how the author breaks down purchasers' options in paragraph 2.

The breakdown of situations suggests that supplier partnerships are least appropriate in situation 1, where firm A has the most flexibility to dictate the terms of supply (e.g. through frequent competitive bidding).

Change is also easy in situation 3. But does this means that supplier partnerships are just as inappropriate here as they are in situation 1?

Nothing in the passage implies that. In situation 1, firm A has practically no reason to enter into a supplier partnership. But in situation 3, firm A has few choices for suppliers. Even if the author's advice for situation 3 is to negotiate concessions from those suppliers, firm A has much less leverage in this situation. Consequently, it is logically more appropriate for firm A to consider a supplier partnership in situation 1 than in situation 3.

That's why we can eliminate choice (E).

Question 4

This one asks, "It can be inferred that the author of the passage would be most likely to make which of the following recommendations to a company purchasing health care benefits for its employees?"

According to the passage, providers of employee health-care benefits fall into situation 2.

So let's revisit the author's own words for that situation. Here's the breakdown of situations and advice again, from paragraph 2:

1. Many alternatives and change is relatively easy -> Open pursuit of alternatives will likely yield the best results.
    2. Many alternatives but change is difficult -> Continuously test the market and use the results to secure concessions from existing suppliers.
    3. Few alternatives but change is easy -> Negotiate concessions from existing suppliers.
    4. Few alternatives and change is difficult -> Partnerships may be unavoidable.

Now, choice (E) says that the author would likely recommend the following:

Quote:
(E) Acknowledge the difficulties involved in replacing the current provider of health care benefits and offer to form a partnership with the provider.

This absolutely does NOT line up with the passage. In situation 2, the author does NOT recommend forming a partnership. That action would contradict the author's recommendation to "continuously test the market and use the results to secure concession," and that's why we eliminate (E).

This error is especially clear when comparing (E) to choice (C), which is a spot-on match for how the author uses health-care benefit providers to illustrate situation 2:

Quote:

I hope this helps!

­
GMAT Club Verbal Expert

Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply

Question 2

unicornilove wrote:
Hello, for Q2, why is B correct though?
Sounds like the purchaser pays less but in exchange they only buy from the supplier..

­You're correct that in “supplier partnerships” the purchaser only buys from a particular supplier. But then we learn that these partnerships "can inappropriately shelter suppliers from rigorous competitive scrutiny that might afford the purchaser economic leverage."

If partnerships shelter the supplier from competition, what can we infer about the price? Well, the purchaser gives up their economic leverage, which means that they may pay a higher price.

That's why (B) is the correct answer to question 2.

I hope that helps!­
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2 
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
GRE Forum Moderator
13958 posts