It is currently 20 Apr 2018, 07:20

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

In Eskimo culture,equipment is designed for use by almost all members

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, Leadership
GPA: 3.08
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)
In Eskimo culture,equipment is designed for use by almost all members [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Nov 2014, 04:18
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

15% (low)

Question Stats:

78% (00:52) correct 23% (00:54) wrong based on 120 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

In Eskimo culture,equipment is designed for use by almost all members of their tribe;for instance,children and adults are able to maneuver kayaks because of their light weight and ingenious construction.

(A) children and adults are able to maneuver kayaks because of their
(B) it is possible for children and adults to maneuver kayaks as a result of their
(C) they are able to have children and adults maneuver kayaks since they are
(D) they are able to have kayak maneuvering by children and adults because of the kayak's
(E) children and adults are able to maneuver kayaks because of these craft's
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Schools: CBS '17
GPA: 4
WE: General Management (Consumer Products)
Re: In Eskimo culture,equipment is designed for use by almost all members [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Nov 2014, 01:03
In option E, is "these craft's" correct? these is plural and craft's is singular. I think wording should have been these crafts' in option E.
Experts please confirm.
I chose A.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Technology, Marketing
GMAT Date: 08-27-2012
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Manufacturing)
Re: In Eskimo culture,equipment is designed for use by almost all members [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Nov 2014, 01:23
In Eskimo culture,equipment is designed for use by almost all members of their tribe;for instance,children and adults are able to maneuver kayaks because of their light weight and ingenious construction.

(A) children and adults are able to maneuver kayaks because of their - their wrongly refers to children and adults. they are able to maneuver not because of their self light weight but because of light weight of equipment. Eliminate A
(B) it is possible for children and adults to maneuver kayaks as a result of their - it is possible --distort the intended meaning of original sentence.
(C) they are able to have children and adults maneuver kayaks since they are -- they are able to have --No meaning/distort the intended meaning of original sentence. ambiguous referent for They, Eliminate option
(D) they are able to have kayak maneuvering by children and adults because of the kayak's -- they are able to have --No meaning/distort the intended meaning of original sentence. ambiguous referent for They, Eliminate option
(E) children and adults are able to maneuver kayaks because of these craft's -these crafts correctly refers to equipment-Correct

kudos me if you like my post.

Attitude determine everything.
all the best and God bless you.

Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 01 Jan 2015, 12:42
In A, their is modifying kayak's , right??
Intern
Intern
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 01 Jan 2015, 19:39
This is a clear case of pronoun ambiquity.
All options except E does not resolves "their" or "they""pronouns.
Plus option B tries to distort the original meaning.

Hence option E.
imnk wrote:

(B) it is possible for children and adults to maneuver kayaks as a result of their
(D) they are able to have kayak maneuvering by children and adults because of the kayak's
Manager
Manager
B
Concentration: Leadership, Technology
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 04 Jan 2015, 02:22
imnk wrote:

A - 'their' can not refer to kayaks.
B - same as (A)
C - 'they' does not have an antecedent
D - 'they' does not have an antecedent; Also, 'kayak maneuvering by children and adults' sounds awkward and indirect - 'able to maneuver' is much more concise
E - Correct. 'craft's' clearly refers to kayaks.

Cheers!
-----------------------------
Please give kudos if you think it is worth it !

Director
Director
Concentration: Technology, Other
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
In Eskimo culture,equipment is designed for use by almost all members [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Jan 2015, 04:16
Though I got it correct, I have a question here.
Why do we think that A and B have pronoun ambiguity. If we look at the non underlined part it mentions "construction". Now their replaced with "Children and adult" doesn't make sense. Hence their == kayaks.
The reason why I chose E was "these craft's", but I am not sure if that should be the only reason. Request others to share their inputs.

--------------------------------------------------------
Regards :)

Manager
Manager
B
Concentration: Leadership, Technology
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 04 Jan 2015, 12:45
JarvisR wrote:
Though I got it correct, I have a question here.
Why do we think that A and B have pronoun ambiguity. If we look at the non underlined part it mentions "construction". Now their replaced with "Children and adult" doesn't make sense. Hence their == kayaks.
The reason why I chose E was "these craft's", but I am not sure if that should be the only reason. Request others to share their inputs.

'their' is usually used to refer to animate/ living objects only. I have not seen their used to refer to some non living objects
Hence the pronoun 'their' does not have a proper antecedent.

Cheers!
-----------------------------
Please give kudos if you think it is worth it !

Director
Director
P
Concentration: International Business, Operations
GMAT 1: 480 Q38 V22
GPA: 3.01
WE: Engineering (Consulting)
Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 01 Apr 2018, 00:33
imnk wrote:

(A) children and adults are able to maneuver kayaks because of their Pronoun ambiguity

(B) it is possible for children and adults to maneuver kayaks as a result of their Pronoun ambiguity

(C) they are able to have children and adults maneuver kayaks since they are Pronoun ambiguity

(D) they are able to have kayak maneuvering by children and adults because of the kayak's Pronoun ambiguity

Correct

"Success is not as glamorous as people tell you. It's a lot of hours spent in the darkness."

In Eskimo culture,equipment is designed for use by almost all members   [#permalink] 01 Apr 2018, 00:33

In Eskimo culture,equipment is designed for use by almost all members

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap