Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 12:34 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 12:34

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4317 [170]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Affiliations: ManhattanGMAT
Own Kudos [?]: 7018 [41]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Journalism
 Q47  V47 GMAT 2: 770  Q49  V48
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 270 [25]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 2333 [2]
Given Kudos: 135
Concentration: Economics, Finance
Schools: IIMA (A)
GMAT Focus 1:
735 Q90 V85 DI85
GMAT Focus 2:
735 Q90 V85 DI85
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V47
GRE 1: Q170 V168
Send PM
Re: In its most recent approach, the comet Crommelin passed the Earth at [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Here's the official explanation provided by the GMAC for this question:

This sentence describes the comet Crommelin and Halley's comet each passing Earth at about the same distance and in about the same position as each other. Idiomatically, in this context the adverbial comparative construction starting with at about the same … should be completed with as, not with that. This construction must be clearly used to compare how the comets pass, rather than to compare a comet itself with a distance or position.

Option A: Idiomatically, the adverbial construction starting with at about the same … should be completed with as, not with that. The construction the same … that results in a comparison whose implicit terms are two adverbial constructions (at the distance and in the position the comet Crommelin will pass) and two noun phrases (the distance and the position Halley's comet will pass). This comparison's terms are not grammatically parallel.

Option B: Idiomatically, the adverbial construction starting with at about the same … should be completed with as, not with that. The verb form is to be passing is unnecessarily convoluted, and might be read as suggesting that somebody has mandated that the comet should pass.

Option C: This seems to compare the distance at which and the position in which the comet Crommelin passed with Halley's comet itself, rather than with the distance at which and the position in which Halley's comet will pass.

Option D: Correct. In context, as will Halley's comet is an appropriate abbreviation for as the distance at which and the position in which Halley's comet will pass, correctly completing the comparison with the distance at which and the position in which the comet Crommelin passed.

Option E: The word do is unnecessary and inappropriate in this context. It confusingly suggests that Halley's comet will "do" about the same distance at which and about the same position in which the comet Crommelin passed.

The correct answer is D.

Please note that I'm not the author of this explanation. I'm just posting it here since I believe it can help the community.
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 109 [4]
Given Kudos: 17
Send PM
Re: In its most recent approach, the comet Crommelin passed the Earth at [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
In its most recent approach, the comet Crommelin passed the Earth at about the same distance and in about the same position, some 25 degrees above the horizon, that Halley’s comet will pass the next time it appears.

(A) that Halley’s comet will pass - that modifies horizon, so incorrect.
(B) that Halley’s comet is to be passing- changes the meaning - sounds like it's about to pass it.
(C) as Halley’s comet- "as" required a subject and a verb
(D) as will Halley’s comet
(E) as Halley’s comet will do-is less concise than D
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 3224 [5]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
We need 'as' for comparing clauses. That leaves C, D and E

we are comparing the below two:

the comet Crommelin passed
as Halley’s comet will [pass] or [passed].......

We are talking about future......Halley's comet will pass

As given, E will read....."comet Crommelin passed.......as Halley’s comet will do [pass]" - 'do' is present tense and needs 'pass' in present tense. When we use 'do' or 'did' it should be parallel with the earlier clause. Also, "will [do] [pass]" is unnecessary.

In option E....the following would have been correct.......the comet Crommelin passed......as Halley’s comet did [passed] - 'did' is past tense and would have been parallel to "comet Crommelin passed".

In option D.....as will Halley’s comet [pass] is correct because it is not using 'do'

In its most recent approach, the comet Crommelin passed the Earth at about the same distance and in about the same position, some 25 degrees above the horizon, that Halley’s comet will pass the next time it appears.

(A) that Halley’s comet will pass
(B) that Halley’s comet is to be passing
(C) as Halley’s comet - incomplete. 'as Halley's comet' what???
(D) as will Halley’s comet [pass] - CORRECT
(E) as Halley’s comet will do - see above
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 83 [5]
Given Kudos: 17
Concentration: Technology, General Management
Schools: McCombs '14
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
IMO D.
E seems wrong because of WILL DO - which shows a working verb performed by commet.
But the sentence compares the comet just passes but not perform. (state of being but not action).
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 356 [5]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Idiom : Same - As

(C) as Halley’s comet - Compares passing of Crommelin with the comet Halleys
(D) as will Halley’s comet - correct
(E) as Halley’s comet will do - Error of ellipses! "do" implies "passed" as mentioned in original sentence but should imply "pass" as in "will pass"
Answer - D
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 746 [4]
Given Kudos: 27
Schools: IIM A '15 (A)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Source of the text in PINK: MGMAT discussion board.

The problem with answer choice E is that, by including the helping verb will, the primary verb pass is already inplied. Thus, answer choice E actually "reads" the comet Crommelin passed the Earth at about the same distance and in about the same position as Halley's comet will do pass the next time it appears. Thus, the verb do is both unnecessary and is not parallel to the verb pass

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now, Here is MY take on OPTION (A) :

Let's try to understand what the word "that" refer to ?

In its most recent approach, the comet Crommelin passed the Earth at about the same distance and in about the same position, some 25 degrees above the horizon,that Halley’s comet will pass the next time it appears.

Let's remove the modifier that is enclosed within the commas. Remember that when you throw out the modifier, the commas go out the window too.
Voila, the word "that" DOESN'T refer to horizon, instead "that" refers to position.

In its most recent approach, the comet Crommelin passed the Earth at about the same distance and in about the same position that Halley’s comet will pass the next time it appears.

The problem that i have this version of the sentence is that , the word "that" now refers exclusively to position and loses reference to the fact that the "distances" are also being compared. The intent of the original sentence is to compare the similarity in aspects of DISTANCE and POSITON, while the newer version of the sentence only conveys the similarity in the position.

The following excerpt colored in green has been taken from e-gmat blogs.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grammatically COMMA + THAT is not correct usage. By definition ‘that clause’ presents required information or essential information and hence cannot be separated from the entity that it modifies by using a comma.
However this does not mean that you can never see a comma prior to that. When you do see comma before that, you will see a comma pair. In such cases non-essential information or additional information will be sandwiched between this comma pair. The sentence structure will look something like this:
Noun,noun-modifier,that clause
In the above structure, comma does not separate ‘that clause’ from its ‘noun’. The complete comma pair is used to separate out the ‘noun modifier’. Lets review this with some examples:
Oprah Winfrey hosts a talk show that has won multiple awards. – Correct
Oprah Winfrey hosts a talk show, that has won multiple awards. – Incorrect
Oprah Winfrey hosts a talk show,considered the highest-rated program of its kind in history, that has won multiple awards. Correct

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Originally posted by hafizkarim on 10 Sep 2012, 05:21.
Last edited by hafizkarim on 11 Sep 2012, 08:41, edited 2 times in total.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1215 [0]
Given Kudos: 86
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
Send PM
manyu2409 wrote:
gmatter0913 wrote:
Can somebody help me understand what is wrong with option A?

Any insights on "that vs. as" are welcome.

Hi gmatter0913,

Let’s first learn about the differences in the usage of ‘that’ and ‘as’.

Usage of ‘that’: ‘that’ is generally used to connect two clauses. It works in two ways to connect the clauses:

1. Subject: While connecting two clauses ‘that’ can act as the subject of the second clause.

He killed the snake that lived in the woods.

Clause 1: He killed the snake
Clause 2: that lived in the woods. (‘that’ is the subject)

2. Connector: ‘that’ can act as a connector only.

He killed the snake that we saw the other night.

Clause 1: He killed the snake
Clause 2: we saw the other night. (‘that’ is the connector)

Usage of ‘as’: ‘as’ is used in two formats.

1. As + clause: When ‘as’ is followed by a clause it can play any of the three following roles.

i.) Comparison
ii.) Simultaneous Action
iii.) Reason

2. As + noun: When ‘as’ is followed by a noun, it means that one of the two entities functions as the other.

Spartacus used to take care of his army as he was the commander of the army. (Reason)

Spartacus cared about the children of his army persons, as a father does. (Comparison)

As the commander of the army, Spartacus used to take care of his army very well. (Function: Spartacus functions as the commander of the army)

As he was working for a software company, he also tutored GMAT students. (Simultaneous Action)

EXPLANATION

Now, let’s first understand the structure and meaning of the given sentence:

• In its most recent approach, the comet Crommelin passed the Earth
o at about the same distance and in about the same position, some 25 degrees above the horizon,
• that Halley’s comet will pass the next time
o it appears.

MEANING

• The sentence states that in a recent event, the comet Crommelin passed the Earth.
• The comet passed at about the same distance and in about the same position, some 25 degrees above the horizon. This part of the sentence indicates that the distance and position of this comet are similar to something.
• The distance and the position are similar to when Halley’s comet will pass the next time it appears.

Basically the distance and the position of the Crommelin comet are compared to the distance and the position of the Halley’s comet. Now, as explained above, these entities cannot be compared using ‘that’. Hence, we need to use ‘as’.

Hope this helps! :)
Manyu

Firstly, thank you so much for explaining this very patiently.

I thought that "that" is being used as a subject in the comet sentence. Why can't 'that' be a subject?

What is the difference between the below two sentences?

1. Sheldon is going to buy the same bike that Penny has bought.
2. Sheldon is going to buy the same bike as Penny bought.

When we use "As" followed by a clause, the focus immediately shifts to the action in that clause. The sentence is either comparing the action or making a causation or talking about the duration during the action.

In this particular sentence, I was not convinced that 'As' is doing any of the three mentioned above.

Moreover, you also mentioned that it is comparing the distance and location of the Comets.

Can we write this sentence using that as a 'subject'?
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28572 [0]
Given Kudos: 130
Expert Reply
gmatter0913 wrote:

I thought that "that" is being used as a subject in the comet sentence. Why can't 'that' be a subject?

When we use "As" followed by a clause, the focus immediately shifts to the action in that clause. The sentence is either comparing the action or making a causation or talking about the duration during the action.

In this particular sentence, I was not convinced that 'As' is doing any of the three mentioned above.

Moreover, you also mentioned that it is comparing the distance and location of the Comets.

gmatter0913 wrote:
Hi Mike,

I am a little confused about a question and I need your help. My understanding is that when we are using "As followed by a clause", then we are either making a comparison or a causation or talking about a duration. I feel the sentence is not doing any of it.

Could you help me understand it better, please?

Thanks
Sai

Dear Sai,
I am happy to respond. :-)

First of all, you may find this article about "that" helpful:
https://magoosh.com/gmat/2013/gmat-sente ... s-of-that/

Here is the OA version of the sentence above:
In its most recent approach, the comet Crommelin passed the Earth at about the same distance and in about the same position, some 25 degrees above the horizon, as will Halley’s comet the next time it appears.

Believe it or not, that IS a comparison. We often think of comparisons in terms of differences (more than, less than, bigger than, smaller than, etc.), but statements about how two things are the same are also comparisons. For example,
Fred is as tall as I am.
Susan makes as much money as I do.
SAT math is about as difficult as GRE math.

Notice that "than" is used for difference-comparisons and "as" is used for same-comparisons.

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 29 [0]
Given Kudos: 76
Send PM
Its explained well in the MGMAT forum :
https://www.manhattangmat.com/forums/sc1000-t950.html

The explanation given is as follows :
Quote:
identify the same as idiom and eliminate A and B. Next, answer choice C changes the original intent of the sentence, since Crommelin did not pass the Earth where Haley's comet is currently located; instead, Crommelin passed the Earth in about the same position as Haley's comet will pass the Earth. The problem with answer choice E is that, by including the helping verb will, the primary verb pass is already implied. Thus, answer choice E actually "reads" the comet Crommelin passed the Earth at about the same distance and in about the same position as Haley's comet will do pass the next time it appears. Thus, the verb do is both unnecessary and is not parallel to the verb pass.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 675 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Send PM
mikemcgarry wrote:
gmatter0913 wrote:

gmatter0913 wrote:
Hi Mike,

I am a little confused about a question and I need your help. My understanding is that when we are using "As followed by a clause", then we are either making a comparison or a causation or talking about a duration. I feel the sentence is not doing any of it.

Could you help me understand it better, please?

Thanks
Sai

Dear Sai,
I am happy to respond. :-)

First of all, you may find this article about "that" helpful:
https://magoosh.com/gmat/2013/gmat-sente ... s-of-that/

Here is the OA version of the sentence above:
In its most recent approach, the comet Crommelin passed the Earth at about the same distance and in about the same position, some 25 degrees above the horizon, as will Halley’s comet the next time it appears.

Believe it or not, that IS a comparison. We often think of comparisons in terms of differences (more than, less than, bigger than, smaller than, etc.), but statements about how two things are the same are also comparisons. For example,
Fred is as tall as I am.
Susan makes as much money as I do.
SAT math is about as difficult as GRE math.

Notice that "than" is used for difference-comparisons and "as" is used for same-comparisons.

HI mike,

Could you please provide your comments for option E?

as Halley’s comet will do.

what is the issue with this option.

Regards
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28572 [4]
Given Kudos: 130
Kudos
Expert Reply
PathFinder007 wrote:
HI mike,

Regards

Dear PathFinder007,
I'm happy to respond. :-) Here's what I'll say. Some of the GMAT SC practice questions floating around on GC are very good. Magoosh and MGMAT have very good questions, and I have been impressed with many Veritas questions as well. Many others, though, are atrocious. Think about it. Not every car company that says, "We have the very best car on the market" actually has the best car---the claims of advertising often overstep the truth. Well, when a GMAT Prep Company says, "We have high quality SC practice questions," that's also an advertising claim, and you shouldn't just naively take them at their word. Many SC questions I have seen on this site are truly horrible questions. Caveat emptor!

Let's look at this questions. Here's the text again:
(C) as Halley’s comet
(E) as Halley’s comet will do

Choices (A) & (B) & (C) are abysmally wrong. Choices (D) & (E) are both perfectly correct. There is nothing at all wrong with (E). This question has two correct answers, and three other choices that really wouldn't tempt many test takers. This is an abominably bad question. I would give this question a grade of an F.

My friend, you are perfectly correct ---(E) works just as well as (D). The problem is not in your understanding. The problem lies in the question itself. Doing low quality SC practice questions will only confuse you---it will not build the skills you need to be successful on the GMAT. Here's a high quality practice question:
https://gmat.magoosh.com/questions/3582

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 88 [0]
Given Kudos: 233
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, General Management
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V34
GMAT 2: 720 Q49 V39
GPA: 2.8
Send PM
Whats wrong with E?I fail to understand.
More insights please
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [2]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
goforgmat wrote:
Whats wrong with E?I fail to understand.
More insights please

Option E has nothing wrong grammatically. Option D is just more economical than option E in expressing the idea - you would recollect that we are supposed to choose the best option from the given choices.
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: NA
Own Kudos [?]: 114 [0]
Given Kudos: 59
GMAT 1: 590 Q50 V21
GMAT 2: 600 Q48 V25
GMAT 3: 730 Q51 V37
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
mymba99 wrote:

(C) as Halley’s comet

plz expln rule/concept if possible. :-D Thanks

We need to show comparison , therefore as ...clause required here.

(A) that Halley’s comet will pass Incorrect no comparison marker present.
(B) that Halley’s comet is to be passing Incorrect no comparison marker present.
(C) as Halley’s comet no tense in as clause.. therefore incorrect
(D) as will Halley’s comet change in tense is explicitly mentioned
(E) as Halley’s comet will do Exact verb form missing after helping verb 'do' should be present elsewhere in the sentence. 'will do [color=#00aeef]pass' , pass is not mentioned anywhere . Incorrect [/color]
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 44 [0]
Given Kudos: 1120
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
Schools: Fuqua '24 (A)
GPA: 3.2
WE:Consulting (Health Care)
Send PM
TommyWallach wrote:
Hey All,

I got asked to take this one on by PM, so here I am!

This is a comparison question, so you have to make sure you're comparing the right two thing.

PROBLEM: This would lead us to think that Halley's comet will pass the distance and position that Crommelin did. That isn't right. It should be PASSING at the distance and position that Crommelin did.

PROBLEM: Same as above, "is to be passing" is not a correct construction. Just gibberish, really.

(C) as Halley’s comet
PROBLEM: You can't use "as" without a clause, and there's no verb after the comma in this choice.

ANSWER: Now we have a verb, so "as" is correct. It's also now clear that we're comparing CLAUSES (the ACT of passing).

PROBLEM: "do" is trying to stand in for the verb "to pass" (because that's the action we're comparing: passing), which doesn't make any sense. You can't say "will do pass," but you can say "will pass" (which is why D is correct).

Hope that makes sense!

-t

Just adding my 2 cents here:

The idiom is same as NOT same that. "...the same distance...as Halley's..."

So A and B is out.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
Send PM
A – ‘will pass’ means that it will go the same distance NOT that it will be passing at the same distance. Meaning change, OUT.
B – Same.
C – ‘as’ needs a clause.
D – this is correct, it is properly comparing clauses
E – ‘do’ here doesn’t make sense. It is supposed to be a substitute for ‘to pass’, but then the sentence becomes ‘will do pass’.

D is the right answer
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 51
Send PM
In its most recent approach, the comet Crommelin passed the Earth at [#permalink]
mikemcgarry wrote:
PathFinder007 wrote:
HI mike,

Regards

Dear PathFinder007,
I'm happy to respond. :-) Here's what I'll say. Some of the GMAT SC practice questions floating around on GC are very good. Magoosh and MGMAT have very good questions, and I have been impressed with many Veritas questions as well. Many others, though, are atrocious. Think about it. Not every car company that says, "We have the very best car on the market" actually has the best car---the claims of advertising often overstep the truth. Well, when a GMAT Prep Company says, "We have high quality SC practice questions," that's also an advertising claim, and you shouldn't just naively take them at their word. Many SC questions I have seen on this site are truly horrible questions. Caveat emptor!

Let's look at this questions. Here's the text again:
(C) as Halley’s comet

Choices (A) & (B) & (C) are abysmally wrong. Choices (D) & (E) are both perfectly correct. There is nothing at all wrong with (E). This question has two correct answers, and three other choices that really wouldn't tempt many test takers. This is an abominably bad question. I would give this question a grade of an F.

My friend, you are perfectly correct ---(E) works just as well as (D). The problem is not in your understanding. The problem lies in the question itself. Doing low quality SC practice questions will only confuse you---it will not build the skills you need to be successful on the GMAT. Here's a high quality practice question:
https://gmat.magoosh.com/questions/3582

Hi mikemcgarry, I am a Magoosh student. This question actually comes from GMATPrep Question Bank #2.

I thought that answer choice D was wrong because of wrong ellipsis.

Without ellipsis we would have:

D) as will [passed] Halley's comet. We can see that "passed" is in past tense, and we would need "pass", so that ellipsis would be wrong.

Regarding to answer choice E, I thought that "do" was replacing the verb "pass". Or is it that "do" is actually working as a helping verb and therefore we are omitting the "pass", so the answer choice would read as follows:
E) as Halley's comet will do pass.

Where am I going wrong?

Best regards,
GMAT Club Bot
In its most recent approach, the comet Crommelin passed the Earth at [#permalink]
 1   2   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts