Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 17:12 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 17:12

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: 555-605 Levelx   Grammatical/Rhetorical Constructionx   Parallelismx                        
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Given Kudos: 154
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 263
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 131
Send PM
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6857 [2]
Given Kudos: 500
Re: In preparation for the prediction of a major earthquake that will hit [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
TorGmatGod wrote:
We know that the below is not grammatically correct from dangling modifier.
Preparing for a major earthquake that is predicted to hit the state, a satellite-based computer network is being built by the California Office of Emergency Services to identify

If I change it by adding preposition, can these modifiers jump to modify the latter part?
(1) In preparing for a major earthquake that is predicted to hit the state, a satellite-based computer network is being built by the California Office of Emergency Services to identify
(2) To prepare for a major earthquake that is predicted to hit the state, a satellite-based computer network is being built by the California Office of Emergency Services to identify

Hello, TorGmatGod. I would say that neither proposal fixes the issue. The reader is still anticipating an answer after the comma to who or what was preparing for an earthquake, and a computer network does not logically fit to that end when an actor or participant later appears—the Office of Emergency Services should be mentioned after the comma for clarity. By way of comparison, how might you anticipate either sample sentence continuing below?

1) In preparing a home-cooked meal, _______

2) To prepare a home-cooked meal, _______

It would certainly be jarring within the confines of this exam to encounter something about, say, food, an oven, or a mixing bowl in the blank, rather than the person doing the preparation. (In real life, I could see an understood you serving as the actor, as in, To prepare... [you] set the oven to 350 degrees F.) Remember, the goal in SC is not to figure out what could be correct, but to play it safe and pursue the least debatable answer. More difficult questions are especially adept at getting test-takers to question whether an unfamiliar construct may be better than something that is perfectly functional.

- Andrew
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 346
Send PM
Re: In preparation for the prediction of a major earthquake that will hit [#permalink]
Hi Experts,

Are the opening prepositional phrases in all the options modifying the noun (subject) immediately after the comma or the main clause?

In option D, is the modifier "hitting the state" based in the same time frame as the verb in the main clause?

Thanks
Kitty
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 7775 [0]
Given Kudos: 55
GMAT 2: 780  Q50  V50
Send PM
Expert Reply
KittyDoodles

No, these modifiers are all adverbial, so they modify the whole clause or action that follows. For instance, if I say "To prepare for her job interview, Sari practiced with her friends," that initial modifier is not referring to Sari. She herself isn't something used/intended to prepare. Rather, the modifier explains what she did in order to prepare. So the subject and modifier have to make sense together, but the modifier doesn't apply directly to the subject.

As for "hitting," keep in mind that -ing words aren't actually verbs, so they don't typically have their own tense. I can say "I am hitting," "I was hitting," "I will be hitting," "I will have been hitting," etc. In D, however, "hitting" isn't even part of a verb phrase--it's modifying "earthquake," so that "hitting" will happen whenever the earthquake occurs. It's only predicted, so it may not happen at all, and it doesn't make sense to place it at the same time as the preparation.
Target Test Prep Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 507 [2]
Given Kudos: 1
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
KittyDoodles wrote:
Are the opening prepositional phrases in all the options modifying the noun (subject) immediately after the comma or the main clause?

Actually, both.

The initial modifiers describe the whole action of the following clause.

In addition, whenever an initial modifier has a form that's derived from a verb, the immediately following subject should be the agent (same basic idea as 'subject', but i'm using 'agent' for action-words that aren't actually verbs) of that action. E.g., an initial modifier built around "to prepare" or "preparing" needs to be followed by whoever is preparing for something.
In this case, that's "the California Office of Emergency Services", the entity that is taking steps to prepare for future disasters. (The computer network itself is not taking preparatory actions, so A and D can be eliminated on that basis.)
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 207 [0]
Given Kudos: 189
Send PM
In preparation for the prediction of a major earthquake that will hit [#permalink]
Hi GMATGuruNY - my question is on (A) and (D)

(A) and (D) certainly have multiple issues but I only wanted to focus on issue of Initial modifier

Can I eliminate (A) and (D) because of the presence of a satellite-based computer network after the modifier in the red ?

Per my understanding, we cannot

Quote:
(A) In preparation for the prediction of a major earthquake that will hit the state, a satellite-based computer network is being built by the California Office of Emergency Services for identifying

(D) To prepare for the prediction of a major earthquake hitting the state, a satellite-based computer network is being built by the California Office of Emergency Services to identify

Reason -

If the opening modifier is a VERB'ING modifier - then, yes the subject should follow right after

examples
Quote:
(1) Teaching his class, John used PowerPoint
(2) Driving at 150 miles/hr, Samantha was nervous

But not necessarily, if the opening modifier is a preposition

example -
Quote:
(3) To get a 700 on the GMAT , John bought OG books
(4) To get a 700 on the GMAT , OG books were bought by John

Both (#3) and (#4) are accurate per my understanding.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 3136 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Schools:Dartmouth College
Send PM
Expert Reply
jabhatta2 wrote:
Hi GMATGuruNY - my question is on (A) and (D)

(A) and (D) certainly have multiple issues but I only wanted to focus on issue of Initial modifier

Can I eliminate (A) and (D) because of the presence of a satellite-based computer network after the modifier in the red ?

Per my understanding, we cannot

Quote:
(A) In preparation for the prediction of a major earthquake that will hit the state, a satellite-based computer network is being built by the California Office of Emergency Services for identifying

(D) To prepare for the prediction of a major earthquake hitting the state, a satellite-based computer network is being built by the California Office of Emergency Services to identify

In preparation for a major earthquake, a satellite-based computer network is being built by the California Office of Emergency Services.
In preparation for a major earthquake, the California Office of Emergency Services is building a satellite-based computer network.

Here, in preparation is an adverb modifying the verb in the following clause.
As a result, a reader will assume that the SUBJECT of the following verb is acting IN PREPARATION for the earthquake.
Since it is THE CALIFORNIA OFFICE that is acting IN PREPARATION, the green sentence is clearly superior to the red sentence.
For this reason, I would be highly skeptical of option A in the SC at hand.

A similar line of reasoning can be applied to D.

To prepare for a major earthquake, a satellite-based computer network is being built by the California Office of Emergency Services.
To prepare for a major earthquake, the California Office of Emergency Services is building a satellite-based computer network.

Here, to prepare is an adverb modifying the verb in the following clause.
As a result, a reader will assume that the SUBJECT of the following verb is trying TO PREPARE for the earthquake.
Since it is THE CALIFORNIA OFFICE that is trying TO PREPARE, the green sentence is clearly superior to the red sentence.
For this reason, I would be highly skeptical of option D in the SC at hand.

Quote:
(3) To get a 700 on the GMAT , John bought OG books
(4) To get a 700 on the GMAT , OG books were bought by John

Both (#3) and (#4) are accurate per my understanding.

In (4), to serves not as a preposition but as part of a VERB FORM: to prepare.
As discussed in my explanation above:
When a sentence begins with an infinitive, the agent of the infinitive should generally be the subject of the following clause.
Thus, (3) is clearly superior to (4).
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [0]
Given Kudos: 115
Send PM
I was between B and C and I did not know which was correct between "to identify" and " that will identify" but I you pay attention to the first part of B and C, b says "in preparing for the prediction" and C says "in preparing for a major earthquake. Preparing for the prediction, makes no sense, so I choose C
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
GMAT 1: 230 Q13 V8
Send PM
i choose c as option and my option was 2nd choice was e
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 40
Send PM
In preparation for the prediction of a major earthquake that will hit [#permalink]
In preparing for a major earthquake that is predicted to hit the state, the California Office of Emergency Services is building a satellite-based computer network to identify?

I got the right answer. but still, some thoughts wondering in my mind :think: :think:
First doubt:
The California Office is preparing for a major earthquake that is predicted to hit the state
This is not weird, Office is preparing something...( office is doing the action of preparation...)
second doubt:
If we remove the In from the Options. Does it still makes sense? or change the meaning of the sentence?
Why do we need IN actually? I have seen some OG questions related IN+v-ing Modifier. but still doesn't make sense.

DEAR VERBAL Experts, can you shed some light on my doubts?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 84 [0]
Given Kudos: 147
Send PM
DmitryFarber wrote:
KittyDoodles

No, these modifiers are all adverbial, so they modify the whole clause or action that follows. For instance, if I say "To prepare for her job interview, Sari practiced with her friends," that initial modifier is not referring to Sari. She herself isn't something used/intended to prepare. Rather, the modifier explains what she did in order to prepare. So the subject and modifier have to make sense together, but the modifier doesn't apply directly to the subject.

As for "hitting," keep in mind that -ing words aren't actually verbs, so they don't typically have their own tense. I can say "I am hitting," "I was hitting," "I will be hitting," "I will have been hitting," etc. In D, however, "hitting" isn't even part of a verb phrase--it's modifying "earthquake," so that "hitting" will happen whenever the earthquake occurs. It's only predicted, so it may not happen at all, and it doesn't make sense to place it at the same time as the preparation.

dear DmitryFarber,

"hitting" is modifying earthquake, and implies same timeframe as earthquake , if earthquake will happen in the future, then "hitting" will too. so I think "hitting" is ok. would you please clarify where my problem ?

GMATNinjaTwo, VeritasKarishma, MartyTargetTestPrep, AndrewN,VeritasPrepBrian,
KarishmaB
avigutman, MartyTargetTestPrep ,

thinks in advance.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2 
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts