Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 08:42 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 08:42

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32908 [2]
Given Kudos: 5778
GPA: 3.62
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 37 [1]
Given Kudos: 678
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GPA: 3.3
WE:Corporate Finance (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 66
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V40
GRE 1: Q167 V155
Send PM
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32908 [1]
Send PM
Re: In the art of the Middle Ages, we never encounter the personality of t [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
AA01 wrote:
Got questions 3 and 5 incorrect. I marked E for question 3. How is option A correct?

Official Explanation

3. Which of the following best describes the attitude of the author toward art of the Middle Ages?

Difficulty Level: 700

Explanation

The tone of the passage is clearly one of appreciation—in the sense that the author both understands the art and admires it. This is further supported by the contrast between art of the Middle Ages and religious art of the Renaissance at the end of the passage.

(B) overstates the case. The author is only discussing the one period, with only casual reference to the period following it. We cannot conclude from this discussion of art of the Middle Ages that the author considers this art the greatest of all art.

(C) cannot be deduced from the passage, for the reference to music will not support such a judgment.

(D) is inconsistent with the author’s opening and closing remarks.

Finally, (E), too, must be incorrect given the generally approving treatment of the passage.

The correct answer is (A).

Hope it helps
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Send PM
In the art of the Middle Ages, we never encounter the personality of t [#permalink]
SajjadAhmad
I am not convinced with the answer explanation of Question 5 . I gave the answer as C , i could not find 'shoes' mentioned in the passage, may be I am not getting this correct,kindly help me.
Also kindly mention the Question Level
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32908 [0]
Send PM
Re: In the art of the Middle Ages, we never encounter the personality of t [#permalink]
Expert Reply
PallabiKundu wrote:
SajjadAhmad
I am not convinced with the answer explanation of Question 5 . I gave the answer as C , i could not find 'shoes' mentioned in the passage, may be I am not getting this correct,kindly help me.
Also kindly mention the Question Level

Hello PallabiKundu

I have read the passage and question, There is NO answer available among the available choices. C and D both cannot be found in the passage. This is definitely a flawed question. don't waste time on this one rather enjoy and learn from the other six. Thank you for pointing it out. OA and OE both are given as D.

Good Luck
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 891
Concentration: Strategy, Leadership
Schools: Rotman '24
GMAT 1: 550 Q37 V34
GMAT 2: 360 Q21 V19
GMAT 3: 400 Q27 V19
GPA: 4
WE:Brand Management (Consumer Products)
Send PM
explanations for question 2
School Moderator - INSEAD Masters
Own Kudos [?]: 265 [0]
Given Kudos: 193
GPA: 4
WE:Analyst (Accounting)
Send PM
nityakaul02 wrote:

Hey nityakaul02 the second paragraph specifically starts with - A second characteristic of this iconography is obedience to a sacred mathematics => we can infer from the statement , most of the pictures contained numbers.
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32908 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
nityakaul02 wrote:

Official Explanation

2. It can be inferred that a painting done in the Middle Ages is most likely to contain

Difficulty Level: 600

Explanation

This is an inference question. In essence, the question is asking which of the five features listed was most likely to be found in a painting. (E) can be eliminated since that is inconsistent with the idea of the artist who recedes into the background of the sacred rules.

As for (A), the author’s only example of numbers was their use in music. This does not lead us to conclude that numbers might not be important in painting as well, but we cannot conclude on the other hand that every painting was likely to use the numbers three or four.

(C) and (D) are mentioned as characteristics of certain subjects, but the author does not imply that the subjects were treated in every painting.

(B), however, has the specific support of paragraph 3. There the author states that “every painting is an allegory.” So, though the specific content of paintings of the period would vary from work to work, the technique of a literal image and a hidden meaning pervaded the work of the period.

The correct answer is (B).
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 683 [2]
Given Kudos: 1316
Send PM
Kudos
nityakaul02 wrote:

Hi nityakaul02,

2. It can be inferred that a painting done in the Middle Ages is most likely to contain

(A) elements representing the numbers three and four
(B) a moral lesson hidden behind the literal figures
(C) highly stylized buildings and trees
(D) figures with halos and bare feet
(E) a signature of the artist and the date of execution

Explanation: can be directly inferred from the lines: "A third characteristic of this art is to be a symbolic language, showing us one thing and inviting us to see another. In this respect, the artist was called upon to imitate God, who had hidden a profound meaning behind the literal and wished nature itself to be a moral lesson to man. Thus, every painting is an allegory". Options A,C,D, though are mentioned in the passage, but we cannot infer with certainty if a painting would most likely contain the above options except B and option E is not discussed in the passage.

Hope This Helps.
Thanks.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 166
Concentration: Finance, International Business
GPA: 3.26
WE:Analyst (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
i got only one wrong great RC
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
GRE Forum Moderator
13959 posts