Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 16:44 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 16:44

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619713 [4]
Given Kudos: 81613
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4101 [0]
Given Kudos: 242
Concentration: Sustainability, Marketing
GMAT Focus 1:
545 Q79 V79 DI73
GPA: 4
WE:Marketing (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 3972 [0]
Given Kudos: 160
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V34
WE:Engineering (Transportation)
Send PM
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619713 [1]
Send PM
Re: In the figure above, points A, B, C, D, E and F lie on a line. If poin [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Bunuel wrote:

In the figure above, points A, B, C, D, E and F lie on a line. If point A lies on the square, point B lies on the circle, point C bisects AF, point D is the center of the circle, point E bisects DF, and point F lies on the circle and on the square, what is the difference in area between the square and the circle?

(1) AB = 6 and BC = 4

(2) AB = 6 and EF = 3.5

Attachment:
image529.png

Official Explanation

We have quite an abundance of points and line segments here. If we were short on time in the Quantitative section and saw this question, we would glance at this, punch in a (D), and move on. One thing to keep in mind while practicing is that it's a perfectly fine habit to work on mastering every question, considering variations, meditating on confusing points, and so on, but guessing at proper times tends to be the practice of people who score 700+ and even 760+ on the GMAT. Anyway, in this question, we want the area of the circle and the area of the square, so that we can find the difference. The radius of the circle and the side of a length of the square will get us to that point. The circle is centered on D, so BD or DF would give us the radius and hence the area of the circle, for one thing. On to the statements, separately first.

Statement (1) allows us to conclude that AC = 10, and since point C bisects AF, we know that AF = 20 and the area of the square is 400. That leaves the question of whether we can determine the radius of the circle. Indeed, if AF = 20 and AB = 6, then the diameter of the circle is BF = 14. We are able to determine the area of the circle and will be able to answer the question definitively. Sufficient.

Statement (2) is somewhat like the information of Statement (1) backwards. EF is half a radius, so it allows us to determine the radius of the circle. And that means we have BF, which along with the measure of AB given, lets us know the measure of a side of the square. So Statement (2) is also sufficient.

The correct answer is (D).
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619713 [0]
Send PM
Re: In the figure above, points A, B, C, D, E and F lie on a line. If poin [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Bunuel wrote:

In the figure above, points A, B, C, D, E and F lie on a line. If point A lies on the square, point B lies on the circle, point C bisects AF, point D is the center of the circle, point E bisects DF, and point F lies on the circle and on the square, what is the difference in area between the square and the circle?

(1) AB = 6 and BC = 4

(2) AB = 6 and EF = 3.5

Attachment:
image529.png

Video Explanation

Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 822 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Math Expert
92977 posts