GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 16 Dec 2018, 07:17

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in December
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • Free GMAT Prep Hour

December 16, 2018

December 16, 2018

03:00 PM EST

04:00 PM EST

Strategies and techniques for approaching featured GMAT topics
  • FREE Quant Workshop by e-GMAT!

December 16, 2018

December 16, 2018

07:00 AM PST

09:00 AM PST

Get personalized insights on how to achieve your Target Quant Score.

In the Netherlands, a recent study conducted by scientists reveals

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

General GMAT Forum Moderator
V
WE: General Management (Non-Profit and Government)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge CAT Tests
In the Netherlands, a recent study conducted by scientists reveals  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Nov 2018, 04:33
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

95% (hard)

Question Stats:

40% (01:16) correct 60% (01:26) wrong based on 235 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

In the Netherlands, a recent study conducted by scientists reveals that cloned cows produce greater volumes of milk than do naturally born cow. There is a strong reaction to this study by the milk products industry. Many businesses are now looking to use cloned cows instead of natural cows. Doing so will be greatly beneficial to milk products businesses because of the additional volume of milk generated.

Each of the following, if true, would weaken the argument EXCEPT:

A- The cost of maintaining a cloned cow is three times the cost of maintaining a naturally born cow.

B- The quality of milk by cloned cows is not suitable to create cheese, the most commonly sold milk product in the Netherlands.

C- The offspring through cloned cows are much weaker and will go on to have much lower biological capabilities than the natural cows.

D- The government in the Netherlands may not approve mass-scale cloning.

E- The study was done over a few weeks and the long-term milk production capabilities of cloned cows remain uncertain.

Source: Experts' Global.

If you liked my post, kindly give me a Kudos. Thanks.

Manager
Manager
B
GMAT 1: 700 Q51 V32
CAT Tests
Re: In the Netherlands, a recent study conducted by scientists reveals  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Nov 2018, 05:28
[quote="rohan2345"]In the Netherlands, a recent study conducted by scientists reveals that cloned cows produce greater volumes of milk than do naturally born cow. There is a strong reaction to this study by the milk products industry. Many businesses are now looking to use cloned cows instead of natural cows. Doing so will be greatly beneficial to milk products businesses because of the additional volume of milk generated.

A- The cost of maintaining a cloned cow is three times the cost of maintaining a naturally born cow.

B- The quality of milk by cloned cows is not suitable to create cheese, the most commonly sold milk product in the Netherlands.

C- The offspring through cloned cows are much weaker and will go on to have much lower biological capabilities than the natural cows.

E- The study was done over a few weeks and the long-term milk production capabilities of cloned cows remain uncertain.

OA : C
A-clearly weakens
B- weakens
C is tricky here but correct answer,
D-weakens the argument
can anyone explain why E is incorrect here

It seems Kudos button not working correctly with all my posts...

Please check if it is working with this post......

is it?....

Anyways...Thanks for trying :cool:

Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 640 Q44 V34
WE: Accounting (Consulting)
Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: In the Netherlands, a recent study conducted by scientists reveals  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Nov 2018, 06:46
sandesh009 wrote:
rohan2345 wrote:
In the Netherlands, a recent study conducted by scientists reveals that cloned cows produce greater volumes of milk than do naturally born cow. There is a strong reaction to this study by the milk products industry. Many businesses are now looking to use cloned cows instead of natural cows. Doing so will be greatly beneficial to milk products businesses because of the additional volume of milk generated.

OA : C
A-clearly weakens
B- weakens
C is tricky here but correct answer,
D-weakens the argument
can anyone explain why E is incorrect here

Hi,
If you read option E, you can see that the study period was relatively short and it might be too soon to comment on the long term milk production capabilities of these cloned cows. They are producing greater volumes at the moment, but we can't be sure that it will be the case in the longer run. Therefore, the plan might not be sustainable and hence, this statement weakens the argument.

Hope that helps.
Manager
Manager
S
Affiliations: Senior Manager, CA by profession, CFA(USA) Level 2
Concentration: Finance, Finance
GMAT 1: 560 Q44 V21
GPA: 3.82
WE: Other (Commercial Banking)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 15 Nov 2018, 23:20
ridhi9jain

Hi ridhi
I am not able to understand how is answer choice C not a weakener?
Can you please explain ?
If offsprings through cloned cows are weaker and will have lower biological capabilities, there is a possibility that those offsprings may not be able to produce more volume of milk than regular cow....Isnt it?
So in a way isnt Option C a weakener answer choice?

Never Settle for something less than what you deserve...........

I've failed over and over and over again in my life and that is why I succeed--Michael Jordan
Kudos drives a person to better himself every single time. So Pls give it generously
Wont give up till i hit a 700+

Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 640 Q44 V34
WE: Accounting (Consulting)
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 16 Nov 2018, 02:16
vasuca10 wrote:
ridhi9jain

Hi ridhi
I am not able to understand how is answer choice C not a weakener?
Can you please explain ?
If offsprings through cloned cows are weaker and will have lower biological capabilities, there is a possibility that those offsprings may not be able to produce more volume of milk than regular cow....Isnt it?
So in a way isnt Option C a weakener answer choice?

Hi,
As per my understanding of the argument, we are focusing on cloning the cows. Don't you think if we can clone the cows, the capability of the offspring becomes less relevant? I mean, we can get the greater volume of milk from the cloned cows, why worry about the offspring?
That's the logic I used to arrive at this.
Does that help?

Experts, please correct me if I am wrong.
Manager
Manager
S
Affiliations: Senior Manager, CA by profession, CFA(USA) Level 2
Concentration: Finance, Finance
GMAT 1: 560 Q44 V21
GPA: 3.82
WE: Other (Commercial Banking)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 16 Nov 2018, 02:37
ridhi9jain Yes it helped indeed....Thanks :)

Never Settle for something less than what you deserve...........

I've failed over and over and over again in my life and that is why I succeed--Michael Jordan
Kudos drives a person to better himself every single time. So Pls give it generously
Wont give up till i hit a 700+

Intern
Intern
B
GPA: 3.86
WE: Human Resources (Human Resources)

Show Tags

New post 16 Nov 2018, 02:51
A- The cost of maintaining a cloned cow is three times the cost of maintaining a naturally born cow.....if cost of maintaining a cloned cow s high, then the financial benefit mentioned in the argument will take a hit and thus it weakens the argument.

B- The quality of milk by cloned cows is not suitable to create cheese, the most commonly sold milk product in the Netherlands......again it weakens the argument....if quality s not good, people will not prefer milk by cloned cows.

C- The offspring through cloned cows are much weaker and will go on to have much lower biological capabilities than the natural cows. ...This statement mentioned here says about the biological aspect of offsprings of cloned cows and therefore slightly out of scope....we are not here to find strengthen question. Just find an option that doesnt weaken the argument or is neutral

D- The government in the Netherlands may not approve mass-scale cloning.... Weakens the argument.

E- The study was done over a few weeks and the long-term milk production capabilities of cloned cows remain uncertain......If the milk production capability of the cloned cows remain uncertain for a long period of time, the financial benefit mentioned in the argument may not frutify and thus this statement weakens the argument

+1 for C
Manager
Manager
S

Show Tags

New post 16 Nov 2018, 19:14
rohan2345 wrote:

Source: Experts' Global.

Question Stem says,

1. Netherlands had a recent study where it was found that cloned cows produced GREATER VOLUMES of MILK than do naturally born cow.
(My thought process starts on this line with - only greater volume mentioned, quality not mentioned here. Thought can be used )

2. Reaction by the Milk Industry was positive and strong. Many businesses are NOW LOOKING to use cloned cows instead of natural cows.
(My thought process starts on the bold part. "Now Looking" means that they are weighing their options on this for going forward. Must be a very big step. Obviously have to look at budget and feasibility of Plan. Again this thought can be used.)

3. Conclusion as per author (Last Line of Stem) - If they go ahead with their PLANS OF A SWITCH from natural cows to cloned cows, they will BENEFIT BECAUSE of the GREATER VOLUME GENERATED.

Next Moving to options and finding option that is NOT A WEAKENER

rohan2345 wrote:
A- The cost of maintaining a cloned cow is three times the cost of maintaining a naturally born cow..

Whoa !!.
Three times the cost ???.
Definitely a weakener because if a company starts production and their maintenance costs all of a sudden become higher than their profits. That is a big NO.
Hence definitely a weakener.

rohan2345 wrote:

Hey If you don't have quality in your product (that too that sells the most) how are you gonna market and sell it.

rohan2345 wrote:

Hmm... What is the scope of biological capabilities here ? Do we really have to consider this much into the future ?
Cannot assume so much here. Will keep this option for consideration as it
Does not look like a definite weakener

rohan2345 wrote:

If government does not approve. How to move forward on our plan. If no plan execution, No profits.

rohan2345 wrote:

This option makes the study look like a small fraction of what companies are expecting as research before switching completely, production using natural cows to cloned cows. If companies not satisfied with research. They will not move forward with the plan as the plan, to start with, will most probably be cost intensive.

Hence from the above options, only C seems not weaken the conclusion.

Regards
AD
---------------------------------
A Kudos is one more question and its answer understood by somebody !!!

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

Show Tags

New post 16 Nov 2018, 19:23
Great question...imo C.

E weakens the argument because it says that in a study that was conducted a week ago, it was found that the milk production of a cloned cow remains uncertain. So if there is uncertainty in the volume of milk production, then the argument that businesses want to use cloned cow for increased volumes stands uncertain.
Thus, the argument is considerably weakened.

Sent from my Lenovo K53a48 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 25 Nov 2018, 15:18
How does D weaken the argument exactly? The stated argument is "Doing so will be greatly beneficial to milk products businesses because of the additional volume of milk generated. ". So, how does the government approval affect it, since it does not attack the causal relationship, which in this case should be cloning cows --> great benefits, if I am not mistaken?
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 29 Nov 2018, 00:58
D doesn't weaken at all. stimulus states that businesses if they do so would be benefited. D states that business MIGHT not be able to do so. But had they been able to do so, they would have been beneficial.

C - can be arguably said to weaken the stimulus. Though, benefits need to be only tracked for milk products, if the offspring also contributed to dairy products production, then this can be a weakener.

Don't think that this is a very good question.
Manager
Manager
B
GMAT 1: 570 Q49 V19
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 29 Nov 2018, 05:09
Option D is definitely not weakener.
Infact option D is beyond the scope of the argument.
Just because the government will not allow mass scale cloning does not imply that the businesses cannot sell the milk from cloned cows. May be the cloned cows are imported.
So D infact has no impact as it is out of scope and in my opinion must be the answer.
Option C seems like a weakener as it suggests that the offsprings of cloned cows are weaker and they might possibly produce less milk. But again does weaker cows mean less milk ? We really don't know. And it talks about biological capabilities, and we really don't know how that relates to the milk business.
If I had to pick 1, I would have gone ahead and picked D as the answer

Sent from my SM-N960F using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
GMAT Club Bot
Re: In the Netherlands, a recent study conducted by scientists reveals &nbs [#permalink] 29 Nov 2018, 05:09

In the Netherlands, a recent study conducted by scientists reveals

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap