Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 22:26 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 22:26

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 459 [34]
Given Kudos: 33
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GPA: 3.4
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 55 [12]
Given Kudos: 45
GMAT 1: 510 Q46 V17
WE:Web Development (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 459 [0]
Given Kudos: 33
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GPA: 3.4
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [1]
Given Kudos: 26
Send PM
Re: In the past five years, there has been a marked decline in the [#permalink]
Kudos
abansal1805 wrote:
Why is D not the answer in this case?

Because it does not say that decline in cookies is because of sugar. It just mentions that sugar is key-component.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Own Kudos [?]: 1970 [2]
Given Kudos: 200
Concentration: Finance, Technology
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
GPA: 4
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
[quote="abansal1805"]In the past five years, there has been a marked decline in the consumption of soft drinks sweetened with sugar. During the same time, there has been increasing publicity about the adverse health effects of weight gain caused by the consumption of sugar-laden drinks. Clearly, the public's awareness of the harmful health effects of weight gained by consuming sugar-laden drinks caused the decline in the consumption of such drinks.

Which of the following statement, if true, most strengthens the argument above?

A. Many consumers have switched to drinking diet soft drinks which are not sweetened with sugar. - This can be inferred from the passage. Can't be strengthener
B. The average person's consumption of soft drinks sweetened with sugar has decreased by 8.2 ounces per day. - This can be inferred from the passage. Can't be strengthener
C. Consuming large quantities of sugar-laden drinks has also been linked to mood swings throughout the day. - mood? out of scope
D. The consumption of packaged cookies which feature sugar as a key ingredient has decreased during the time period in question. - tricky, but we aren't interested in the cookies
E. The price of sugar-laden soft drinks has remained stable for the past five years - Correct. This removes any alternate cause
RSM Erasmus Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1360 [0]
Given Kudos: 641
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
Schools: Erasmus (II)
Send PM
In the past five years, there has been a marked decline in the [#permalink]
abansal1805 wrote:
In the past five years, there has been a marked decline in the consumption of soft drinks sweetened with sugar. During the same time, there has been increasing publicity about the adverse health effects of weight gain caused by the consumption of sugar-laden drinks. Clearly, the public's awareness of the harmful health effects of weight gained by consuming sugar-laden drinks caused the decline in the consumption of such drinks.

A. Many consumers have switched to drinking diet soft drinks which are not sweetened with sugar.
    B. The average person's consumption of soft drinks sweetened with sugar has decreased by 8.2 ounces per day.
    C. Consuming large quantities of sugar-laden drinks has also been linked to mood swings throughout the day.
    D. The consumption of packaged cookies which feature sugar as a key ingredient has decreased during the time period in question.
    E. The price of sugar-laden soft drinks has remained stable for the past five years.

Dear GMATGuruNY

While OA rules out another cause, can't choices A & D be considered another examples for the effectiveness of publicity that, in turn, drove people away from such drinks? I mean choices A & D work as 'strengtheners' by showing another examples (when A happens then B happens)

Thanks in advance
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 3134 [3]
Given Kudos: 9
Schools:Dartmouth College
Send PM
In the past five years, there has been a marked decline in the [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Mo2men wrote:
abansal1805 wrote:
In the past five years, there has been a marked decline in the consumption of soft drinks sweetened with sugar. During the same time, there has been increasing publicity about the adverse health effects of weight gain caused by the consumption of sugar-laden drinks. Clearly, the public's awareness of the harmful health effects of weight gained by consuming sugar-laden drinks caused the decline in the consumption of such drinks.

A. Many consumers have switched to drinking diet soft drinks which are not sweetened with sugar.
    B. The average person's consumption of soft drinks sweetened with sugar has decreased by 8.2 ounces per day.
    C. Consuming large quantities of sugar-laden drinks has also been linked to mood swings throughout the day.
    D. The consumption of packaged cookies which feature sugar as a key ingredient has decreased during the time period in question.
    E. The price of sugar-laden soft drinks has remained stable for the past five years.

Dear GMATGuruNY

While OA rules out another cause, can't choices A & D be considered another examples for the effectiveness of publicity that, in turn, drove people away from such drinks? I mean choices A & D work as 'strengtheners' by showing another examples (when A happens then B happens)

Thanks in advance

A: Many consumers have switched to drinking diet soft drinks which are not sweetened with sugar.
This information seems to strengthen the PREMISE that there has been a MARKED DECLINE IN THE CONSUMPTION OF SOFT DRINKS SWEETENED WITH SUGAR.
Any option that attempts to strengthen a premise is WRONG.
A premise is a fact: it cannot be strengthened or weakened.
Eliminate A.

The correct answer must strengthen the CONCLUSION.
Here, the conclusion is that the decline in sugar-drink consumption was due to publicity about the adverse health effects.
To strengthen this conclusion, the correct answer must link the publicity to the decline.
Since A does not indicate WHY people have switched to sugar-free drinks, it has no effect on the conclusion.

D: The consumption of packaged cookies which feature sugar as a key ingredient has decreased during the time period in question.
The argument is very limited in scope.
It is only about the consumption of sugar-laden DRINKS, as in the two main premises:
There has been increasing publicity about the adverse health effects of weight gain caused by the consumption of sugar-laden DRINKS.
There has been a marked decline in the consumption of soft DRINKS sweetened with sugar.

Information about cookies is irrelevant.
Eliminate D.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
GMAT 1: 530 Q33 V28
GMAT 2: 500 Q31 V28
Send PM
When I first read the answer choices, I leaned towards knocking E out due to stable prices weakening the conclusion in that if change in demand occurs, prices will change too. Accordingly I saw E to be Weaken rather than Strengthen.

My question: are the multiple possibilities to be inferred a signal of a badly written question or is it a testable element which is placed on purpose to confuse. I???m personally leaning towards the first possibility mainly because I???m expecting the GMAT not to require understanding of supply n demand forces.

Thanks,
Abed
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 5134 [1]
Given Kudos: 1431
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Moe86 wrote:
When I first read the answer choices, I leaned towards knocking E out due to stable prices weakening the conclusion in that if change in demand occurs, prices will change too. Accordingly I saw E to be Weaken rather than Strengthen.

My question: are the multiple possibilities to be inferred a signal of a badly written question or is it a testable element which is placed on purpose to confuse. I???m personally leaning towards the first possibility mainly because I???m expecting the GMAT not to require understanding of supply n demand forces.

Thanks,
Abed

Hi Abed.

I tend to agree with your assessment that the fact that the price of sugar-laden drinks has not decreased could indicate that demand has not decreased. However, the truth is that the passage does make clear that the consumption of such drinks has decreased. So, if we combine the information from the passage, that consumption has decreased, with the information from the answer choice, that the price has remained stable, we have support for the conclusion that demand did decrease.

Of course, choice (E) is a way to eliminate the possibility that the decrease in consumption of sugar-laden drinks is due to price increases. Thus, by directly stating what is unstated in the passage, that consumption of sugar-laden drinks did not decrease because of a price increase, E adds support to the conclusion.

Regarding whether the GMAT assumes that test-takers understand the basics of the supply and demand, it does. So a test-taker may have to understand relationships between changes in supply or demand and changes in price or quantity in order to correctly answer certain Critical Reasoning questions. That said, the analysis of such forces needed for answering Critical Reasoning questions is generally rather straightforward, and probably the implications of choice (E) that you picked up on involve thinking about market forces slightly more sophisticated than the thinking about such forces that the GMAT would expect test-takers to bring to bear when answering Critical Reasoning questions.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 991 [0]
Given Kudos: 421
GMAT 1: 600 Q46 V27
Send PM
abansal1805 wrote:

Keeping all the highlighted points in my mind We can approach the options.

A. Many consumers have switched to drinking diet soft drinks which are not sweetened with sugar. - It does help strengthen the awareness part but it doesn't strengthen why sales of sugar drinks declined.
B. The average person's consumption of soft drinks sweetened with sugar has decreased by 8.2 ounces per day. - Irrelevant
C. Consuming large quantities of sugar-laden drinks has also been linked to mood swings throughout the day. - Irrelevant
D. The consumption of packaged cookies which feature sugar as a key ingredient has decreased during the time period in question. I almost picked this one. But You know we are not talking about cookies. I get that. But again it strengthens the awareness part and not the declining sales part.
E. The price of sugar-laden soft drinks has remained stable for the past five years. - If price has remained constant, then the only other reason (highlighted by the argument) will be awareness. And we are now talking about both Sales and sugar drinks. So best out of the lot.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 931 [0]
Given Kudos: 632
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
GPA: 3.6
WE:Operations (Consumer Products)
Send PM
jennpt @MartyMurray generis

IMO, choice A strengthens te conclusion

we are given a causal relation: health awareness --> decrease in sugary drinks
now what if people stopped drinking it for some other reason? maybe becasue of some non mentioned entity in those drinks?

when we say they still go for the diet drinks arent we discarding the possibility that the decrrease in consumption is not beacsaue of some other issue with those drinks...

please explain
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1813 [0]
Given Kudos: 763
WE:Sales (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM

A. Many consumers have switched to drinking diet soft drinks which are not sweetened with sugar. - INCORRECT. Eliminated because of the word 'many' which may go either ways.
    B. The average person's consumption of soft drinks sweetened with sugar has decreased by 8.2 ounces per day. - INCORRECT. May be a result but it not enough of a reason to choose it as an answer.
    C. Consuming large quantities of sugar-laden drinks has also been linked to mood swings throughout the day. - INCORRECT. Irrelevant.

This is some question.
I picked D for it gives another reason why awareness is responsible for decline in consumption of another sugary food. E, i just eliminated for it doesn't look like to be the answer. Now, I understand why its D is wrong. It gives a parallel reasoning for another sugary food but not soft drinks. It could have been an answer for analogy type of questions but not here.
Also, didn't choose rather not paid attention because it looks like it may go in either direction upon taking opposite of what is mentioned presently. One, that what if it may have increased and second what if it may have decreased. Anyway, I got too carried away by D and missed E for it being covered under too naive a veil.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
IMO E is a very far-fetched assumption to support it as strengthening the argument. It is merely suggesting that price was not a constraint for people to reduce consumption.

On the contrary, A - Many consumers have switched to drinking diet soft drinks which are not sweetened with sugar - clearly brings out those who were having sweetened drinks have switched. Switched to non sweetened, and they switched due to negative publicity.

It ideally supports the conclusion - Clearly, the public's awareness of the harmful health effects of weight gained by consuming sugar-laden drinks caused the decline in the consumption of such drinks.

Given between A & E, I would prefer A.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts