It is currently 25 Feb 2018, 01:47

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

In the seventeenth-century Florentine textile industry, women were emp

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Study Buddy Forum Moderator
P
WE: Engineering (Other)
Premium Member CAT Tests
In the seventeenth-century Florentine textile industry, women were emp [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Jan 2018, 01:55
GMATNinjaTwo GMATNinja

Can you please explain Q2.

As per me, according to the human capital theory the high concentration of women in low skilled jobs was because they had to bear children and because they had to stay at home, they could only take occupations which could be carried from home.

I was not able to perform POE well here on lines of thinking about alternate cause.

It's the journey that brings us happiness not the destination.

Intern
Intern
B
Re: In the seventeenth-century Florentine textile industry, women were emp [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Jan 2018, 07:31
Got all 3 correct in just under 4.5 minutes.
Manager
Manager
B
Schools: EDHEC (A)
GMAT 1: 600 Q42 V32
GPA: 3.2
WE: General Management (Human Resources)
Premium Member
Re: In the seventeenth-century Florentine textile industry, women were emp [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Jan 2018, 09:11
4:45 mins and all 3 correct. Is this a good time for a passage of this kind?
Expert Post
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
G
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: 340 Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 24 Jan 2018, 19:20
adkikani wrote:
GMATNinjaTwo GMATNinja

Can you please explain Q2.

As per me, according to the human capital theory the high concentration of women in low skilled jobs was because they had to bear children and because they had to stay at home, they could only take occupations which could be carried from home.

I was not able to perform POE well here on lines of thinking about alternate cause.

In order to use POE, first make sure you are clear about the explanation provided by the human capital theory (HCT). This explanation has two parts:

• "Women's role as child bearers, however, results in interruptions in their participation in the job market (as compared with men's) and thus reduces their opportunities to acquire training for highly skilled work." - Women are the ones who actually had to bear the children (i.e. to be pregnant and give birth), and this would obviously present some obstacles to working and acquiring training.
  • "Because of their primary responsibility in child rearing, women took occupations that could be carried out in the home." - Women tended to take jobs that could be done at home so that they could be home to raise (i.e. rear) the children.

So we need an answer choice that WEAKENS either part. Choices B-E have no impact on these two aspects of the HCT explanation.

As you mentioned, according to HCT, the women tended to take jobs that could be carried out at home. Why? Because their responsibility in child rearing (a domestic task) required them to be at home. But what if there were jobs that allowed women to tend to their domestic responsibilities (i.e. child rearing) outside of their working hours? For example, a job with flexible hours might allow a woman to take care of her domestic responsibilities for a couple hours, then work for a couple hours, then go home to tend to her domestic responsibilities, and then go back to work for a few more hours. In that case, the domestic responsibilities would not be an obstacle.

Choice (A) says that women were STILL unlikely to take jobs even if the jobs had such flexibility. If the jobs were flexible enough to allow the women to take care of their domestic responsibilities, then why didn't the women take those jobs? There must be some other explanation, so the explanation provided by HCT is insufficient.

I hope that helps!

GMAT Club Verbal Expert | GMAT/GRE tutor @ www.gmatninja.com (Now hiring!) | GMAT blog | Food blog | Notoriously bad at PMs

Beginners' guides to GMAT verbal
Reading Comprehension | Critical Reasoning | Sentence Correction

YouTube LIVE verbal webinars
Series 1: Fundamentals of SC & CR | Series 2: Developing a Winning GMAT Mindset -- starts February 14!

SC & CR Questions of the Day (QOTDs), featuring expert explanations
All QOTDs | Subscribe via email | RSS

Need an expert reply?
Hit the request verbal experts' reply button -- and please be specific about your question. Feel free to tag @GMATNinja and @GMATNinjaTwo in your post.

Sentence Correction articles & resources
How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

Reading Comprehension, Critical Reasoning, and other articles & resources
All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99... in any section order

Re: In the seventeenth-century Florentine textile industry, women were emp   [#permalink] 24 Jan 2018, 19:20

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 24 posts ] 

In the seventeenth-century Florentine textile industry, women were emp

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap