It is currently 20 Oct 2017, 07:56

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Industry analysts said that the recent rise in fuel prices may be an e

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Top Contributor
3 KUDOS received
Director
Director
B

Kudos [?]: 2682 [3], given: 220

Concentration: Finance, Leadership
GPA: 2.81
WE: Business Development (Real Estate)
Industry analysts said that the recent rise in fuel prices may be an e [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Jun 2017, 11:41
This post received
KUDOS
Top Contributor
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

65% (hard)

Question Stats:

52% (01:12) correct 48% (01:12) wrong based on 772 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

The Official Guide for GMAT Verbal Review 2018
Practice Question
Sentence Correction
Question no. 274

Industry analysts said that the recent rise in fuel prices may be an early signal of the possibility of gasoline and heating oil prices staying higher than usually through the end of the year.

(A) of the possibility of gasoline and heating oil prices staying higher than usually through
(B) of the possibility that gasoline and heating oil prices could stay higher than usual throughout
(C) of prices of gasoline and heating oil possibly staying higher than usually through
(D) that prices of gasoline and heating oil could stay higher than they usually are throughout
(E) that prices of gasoline and heating oil will stay higher than usual through
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Md. Abdur Rakib

Please Press +1 Kudos,If it helps
Sentence Correction-Collection of Ron Purewal's "elliptical construction/analogies" for SC Challenges

Kudos [?]: 2682 [3], given: 220

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 84

Concentration: Strategy, Operations
GMAT 1: 580 Q49 V21
GPA: 3.75
Reviews Badge
Re: Industry analysts said that the recent rise in fuel prices may be an e [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Jun 2017, 05:15
AbdurRakib wrote:
Practice Question
Sentence Correction
Question no. 274

Industry analysts said that the recent rise in fuel prices may be an early signal of the possibility of gasoline and heating oil prices staying higher than usually through the end of the year.

A. of the possibility of gasoline and heating oil prices staying higher than usually through
B. of the possibility that gasoline and heating oil prices could stay higher than usual throughout
C. of prices of gasoline and heating oil possibly staying higher than usually through
D. that prices of gasoline and heating oil could stay higher than they usually are throughout
E. that prices of gasoline and heating oil will stay higher than usual through

Option A &B : Incorrect because of the usage of possibility as may be is already used in the non-underlined part. Redundant.
Option C: Usage of usually is incorrect. the prices are higher than usual is the correct usage.
Option D: Same as C. usage of they is ambiguous.
Option E: Correct

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 84

Top Contributor
6 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
P
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying

Kudos [?]: 7908 [6], given: 364

WE: Education (Education)
Re: Industry analysts said that the recent rise in fuel prices may be an e [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Jun 2017, 06:10
This post received
KUDOS
Top Contributor
This post was
BOOKMARKED

A. of the possibility of gasoline and heating oil prices staying higher than usually through---- 1. redundancy of may and possibility as already pointed out. 2. usually has no verb to modify, a dangling adverb

B. of the possibility that gasoline and heating oil prices could stay higher than usual throughout--- 1. redundancy 2. throughout and through are meaning - wise different.

C. of prices of gasoline and heating oil possibly staying higher than usually through ----- 1. redundancy 2. dangling adverb

D. that prices of gasoline and heating oil could stay higher than they usually are throughout----- throughout and through are meaning - wise different.

E. that prices of gasoline and heating oil will stay higher than usual through -- correct choice

General: All reported speeches are presented in a relative clause introduced by 'that'. Hence D and E are stylistically better than A. B and C.

“Better than a thousand days of diligent study is one day with a great teacher” – a Japanese proverb.

Kudos [?]: 7908 [6], given: 364

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 52 [0], given: 7

Concentration: Finance, Accounting
WE: Programming (Energy and Utilities)

Show Tags

New post 15 Jun 2017, 06:21
daagh.

I rejected E because of the phrase: "through the end of the year".

Well what is the difference between throughout the end of the year and through end of the year, why the latter is correct here?

If you like the post, please award me Kudos!! It motivates me

Kudos [?]: 52 [0], given: 7

Top Contributor
4 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
P
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying

Kudos [?]: 7908 [4], given: 364

WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 15 Jun 2017, 10:05
This post received
KUDOS
Top Contributor
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Through the end of the year means from now until the end of the year, period by period or event by event. As we are in June now, through the end means the rest of June, the entire of July, August, September, and so on until the last day of December. On the contrary, throughout the end of the year doesn't convey any sensible meaning except to refer to the last of the year. The end of the year marks a particular short point of time. There no meaning in saying throughout that the short period.
Through means from one point to another. Throughout means entirely

“Better than a thousand days of diligent study is one day with a great teacher” – a Japanese proverb.

Kudos [?]: 7908 [4], given: 364

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 4 [1], given: 24

GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V30

Show Tags

New post 17 Jun 2017, 22:25
This post received
KUDOS

A. of the possibility of gasoline and heating oil prices staying higher than usually through
B. of the possibility that gasoline and heating oil prices could stay higher than usual throughout
C. of prices of gasoline and heating oil possibly staying higher than usually through
D. that prices of gasoline and heating oil could stay higher than they usually are throughout
E. that prices of gasoline and heating oil will stay higher than usual through correct

Kudos [?]: 4 [1], given: 24

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 02 Jul 2017, 12:47
Hi, Can you explain the difference between option D and E

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

1 KUDOS received
BSchool Forum Moderator
D

Kudos [?]: 797 [1], given: 64

Concentration: Healthcare, Technology
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V35
GPA: 3.65
WE: Information Technology (Health Care)
Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 03 Jul 2017, 04:19
This post received
KUDOS
DebasishDhar wrote:
Hi, Can you explain the difference between option D and E

Hi DebasishDhar ,

There are various differences between D and E.

1. Through the end of the year vs throughout the end of the year. Look here for more details:

https://gmatclub.com/forum/industry-ana ... l#p1870370

2. When I am using may, I should not use possibility/could kind of words. Could again signifies possibility and using could with may can lead to redundancy error. Hence, D is incorrect.

I hope that makes sense. :)

How I improved from V21 to V40! ?

Kudos [?]: 797 [1], given: 64

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
Affiliations: NA

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 57

GMAT 1: 590 Q50 V21
GMAT 2: 600 Q48 V25
GMAT 3: 650 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.5

Show Tags

New post 25 Jul 2017, 04:26
AbdurRakib wrote:
Practice Question
Sentence Correction
Question no. 274

E. that prices of gasoline and heating oil will stay higher than usual through

Hi,
I have a doubt in option E . I think 'Will' should be 'would' as per the temporal relationship with respect to the statement delivered by Industry analysts. Experts please suggest.

#If you like my post , please encourage me by giving Kudos :)

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 57

BSchool Forum Moderator
D

Kudos [?]: 797 [0], given: 64

Concentration: Healthcare, Technology
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V35
GPA: 3.65
WE: Information Technology (Health Care)
Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 25 Jul 2017, 10:43
anje29 wrote:
Hi,
I have a doubt in option E . I think 'Will' should be 'would' as per the temporal relationship with respect to the statement delivered by Industry analysts. Experts please suggest.

Hi anje29 ,

Please read my explanation for rejecting option D here (point no. 2)

The same holds true for what you are saying.

Let me know in case of any concern.

How I improved from V21 to V40! ?

Kudos [?]: 797 [0], given: 64

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Manhattan Prep Instructor
B

Kudos [?]: 1176 [1], given: 29

Show Tags

New post 31 Jul 2017, 01:29
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
anje29, you'd be right if we were dealing with a simple past tense sentence: "Industry analysts said that prices would stay high for another two years."

However, this sentence is a bit more complicated. Two words in the fixed portion of the sentence--"recent" and "may"--make it clear that the analysts' statement is not restricted to the past. They made a statement about what is still going to happen. This makes "would" less appropriate. Compare "My friend said that she had pneumonia" (pure past) with "My friend said that she has pneumonia" (she still has pneumonia). We can see the same thing with will/would, even though predictions naturally extend into the future either way. "I said that I would help you, and I will." (In the past, I made a statement about what would happen, and now it is still going to happen.) "Scientists predicted last year that the world population will peak at around 9 billion." (The prediction occurred in the past, but the predicted result is still something we're waiting for.)

If it seems that there isn't a precise rule here, that's because there isn't! It's more a matter of what we are trying to emphasize. Is the point to show that a past prediction or projection is old or invalid? Have we perhaps replaced it with a new one? Are we focused more on what was said than on whether it will really happen in the future? Then "would" makes sense. Are we still anticipating the predicted outcome? Are we more focused on the prediction itself than on when it was made? Then we should use "will."

Dmitry Farber | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | New York

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile |
Manhattan GMAT Reviews

Kudos [?]: 1176 [1], given: 29

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 243

GMAT Date: 11-01-2012

Show Tags

New post 16 Aug 2017, 04:46
daagh wrote:

A. of the possibility of gasoline and heating oil prices staying higher than usually through---- 1. redundancy of may and possibility as already pointed out. 2. usually has no verb to modify, a dangling adverb

B. of the possibility that gasoline and heating oil prices could stay higher than usual throughout--- 1. redundancy 2. throughout and through are meaning - wise different.

C. of prices of gasoline and heating oil possibly staying higher than usually through ----- 1. redundancy 2. dangling adverb

D. that prices of gasoline and heating oil could stay higher than they usually are throughout----- throughout and through are meaning - wise different.

E. that prices of gasoline and heating oil will stay higher than usual through -- correct choice

General: All reported speeches are presented in a relative clause introduced by 'that'. Hence D and E are stylistically better than A. B and C.

daagh isnt could preferred for future in past context??

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 243

Re: Industry analysts said that the recent rise in fuel prices may be an e   [#permalink] 16 Aug 2017, 04:46

Industry analysts said that the recent rise in fuel prices may be an e

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap