Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 09:40 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 09:40

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 38838 [461]
Given Kudos: 220
Concentration: Finance, Leadership
GPA: 2.81
WE:Business Development (Real Estate)
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42104 [190]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63671 [73]
Given Kudos: 1774
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42104 [58]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Re: Industry analysts said that the recent rise in fuel prices may be an [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
Industry analysts said that the recent rise in fuel prices may be an early signal of the possibility of gasoline and heating oil prices staying higher than usually through the end of the year.

A. of the possibility of gasoline and heating oil prices staying higher than usually through---- 1. redundancy of may and possibility as already pointed out. 2. usually has no verb to modify, a dangling adverb

B. of the possibility that gasoline and heating oil prices could stay higher than usual throughout--- 1. redundancy 2. throughout and through are meaning - wise different.

C. of prices of gasoline and heating oil possibly staying higher than usually through ----- 1. redundancy 2. dangling adverb

D. that prices of gasoline and heating oil could stay higher than they usually are throughout----- throughout and through are meaning - wise different.

E. that prices of gasoline and heating oil will stay higher than usual through -- correct choice

General: All reported speeches are presented in a relative clause introduced by 'that'. Hence D and E are stylistically better than A. B and C.
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 7775 [41]
Given Kudos: 55
GMAT 2: 780  Q50  V50
Send PM
Re: Industry analysts said that the recent rise in fuel prices may be an [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
anje29, you'd be right if we were dealing with a simple past tense sentence: "Industry analysts said that prices would stay high for another two years."

However, this sentence is a bit more complicated. Two words in the fixed portion of the sentence--"recent" and "may"--make it clear that the analysts' statement is not restricted to the past. They made a statement about what is still going to happen. This makes "would" less appropriate. Compare "My friend said that she had pneumonia" (pure past) with "My friend said that she has pneumonia" (she still has pneumonia). We can see the same thing with will/would, even though predictions naturally extend into the future either way. "I said that I would help you, and I will." (In the past, I made a statement about what would happen, and now it is still going to happen.) "Scientists predicted last year that the world population will peak at around 9 billion." (The prediction occurred in the past, but the predicted result is still something we're waiting for.)

If it seems that there isn't a precise rule here, that's because there isn't! It's more a matter of what we are trying to emphasize. Is the point to show that a past prediction or projection is old or invalid? Have we perhaps replaced it with a new one? Are we focused more on what was said than on whether it will really happen in the future? Then "would" makes sense. Are we still anticipating the predicted outcome? Are we more focused on the prediction itself than on when it was made? Then we should use "will."
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 83 [25]
Given Kudos: 113
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
GMAT 1: 580 Q49 V21
GPA: 3.75
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
AbdurRakib wrote:
The Official Guide for GMAT Verbal Review 2018
Practice Question
Sentence Correction
Question no. 274

Industry analysts said that the recent rise in fuel prices may be an early signal of the possibility of gasoline and heating oil prices staying higher than usually through the end of the year.

A. of the possibility of gasoline and heating oil prices staying higher than usually through
B. of the possibility that gasoline and heating oil prices could stay higher than usual throughout
C. of prices of gasoline and heating oil possibly staying higher than usually through
D. that prices of gasoline and heating oil could stay higher than they usually are throughout
E. that prices of gasoline and heating oil will stay higher than usual through

Option A &B : Incorrect because of the usage of possibility as may be is already used in the non-underlined part. Redundant.
Option C: Usage of usually is incorrect. the prices are higher than usual is the correct usage.
Option D: Same as C. usage of they is ambiguous.
Option E: Correct
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 5426 [21]
Given Kudos: 346
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
DebasishDhar wrote:
Hi, Can you explain the difference between option D and E

Hi DebasishDhar ,

There are various differences between D and E.

1. Through the end of the year vs throughout the end of the year. Look here for more details:

https://gmatclub.com/forum/industry-ana ... l#p1870370

2. When I am using may, I should not use possibility/could kind of words. Could again signifies possibility and using could with may can lead to redundancy error. Hence, D is incorrect.

I hope that makes sense. :)
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 359 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Concentration: Finance, Accounting
WE:Programming (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
daagh.

I rejected E because of the phrase: "through the end of the year".

Well what is the difference between throughout the end of the year and through end of the year, why the latter is correct here?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Kudos
Hi, Can you explain the difference between option D and E
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 243
GMAT Date: 11-01-2012
Send PM
daagh wrote:

A. of the possibility of gasoline and heating oil prices staying higher than usually through---- 1. redundancy of may and possibility as already pointed out. 2. usually has no verb to modify, a dangling adverb

B. of the possibility that gasoline and heating oil prices could stay higher than usual throughout--- 1. redundancy 2. throughout and through are meaning - wise different.

C. of prices of gasoline and heating oil possibly staying higher than usually through ----- 1. redundancy 2. dangling adverb

D. that prices of gasoline and heating oil could stay higher than they usually are throughout----- throughout and through are meaning - wise different.

E. that prices of gasoline and heating oil will stay higher than usual through -- correct choice

General: All reported speeches are presented in a relative clause introduced by 'that'. Hence D and E are stylistically better than A. B and C.

daagh isnt could preferred for future in past context??
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30801 [5]
Given Kudos: 637
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
deependra1234 wrote:
daagh isnt could preferred for future in past context??

Hello deependra1234,

Although your query is not addressed to me, I would like to clarify your doubt. :-)

This official sentence intends to say that the analysts said that possibly the oil prices will remain higher than usual through the end of the year.

The event of the prices staying higher pertains to future period. The possibility is there that this action will take place. Hence, use of will is absolutely correct in the context of this sentence.

Use of the verb could stay again presents possibility. This is not the intended meaning of the sentence.

Hope this helps. :-)
Thanks.
Shraddha
IIM School Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1240 [0]
Given Kudos: 1207
WE:Engineering (Other)
Send PM
GMATNinja VeritasPrepKarishma egmat

I have query regarding (D):
Is there no comparison error here after I replace they with prices?
I understand that COULD is redundant with MAY BE in non-underlined portion,
but how do I infer WILL in intended meaning of this sentence. I certainly do
see a possibility more than a certainty as suggested by WILL.
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 7775 [1]
Given Kudos: 55
GMAT 2: 780  Q50  V50
Send PM