Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 14:32 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 14:32

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 45 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
WE:Operations (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 45 [0]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: INSEAD Profile Evaluation - Tools for B-School Profile Evaluation [#permalink]
RUCHIPCONSULTING wrote:
deeppan wrote:
RUCHIPCONSULTING wrote:
deeppan wrote:
Good day all, Requesting you to please evaluate my Profile & advise on GMAT score I should target as yet to give.

Background: 35YO Indian Male
College: DCE (India) First Division
Industry: Oil & Gas Subsea Construction
Work Exp. : 10 years Total; Recruited in Singapore thereafter Indonesia, China, India (2 Promotions in 3 Years)
Change Company & move to Dubai, Saudi, Qatar & relocated to the UK within the Company (3 Promotions in 6 Years)
Department worked in: Subsea Field Operations, Marine Operations, Project Management, Fabrication & Project Marine Estimation (Bid)
GMAT: Yet to give

Hello deeppan,
It will be very difficult to comment on your profile as you haven’t given details around your experience. It will also be good to know about your extra-curricular.
Your experience for INSEAD is definitely on the higher side. You have much of international experience, which is a positive for INSEAD; however, one question is why do you need an MBA after 10 years of WE. This is something you will have to convince AdCom about. You haven’t talked much about your goals post MBA, and I think this will be the key to your chances for INSEAD.
Again, if I had more details around your UG score, it would have been easier to comment on what you should target for GMAT. But only considering your experience, you should be fine with anything above 700. However, try to aim as high as you can.

Dear Ruchi,

Thanks a lot for your quick & kind response.
UG score: 61.12%
Reason for MBA: I wish to go for FT MBA because I understand that Post MBA I can be part of the Oil & Gas consultation group or operator side, Looking at the current market trend of Oil & Gas industry.
Additional Info as below:
• Succeeded as Placement Co-ordinator in 100% job placement for Civil Engineering batch 2010 students in the final year of College.
• Volunteer - Winter training camp 2009, Dehradun, Uttarakhand
• Participated & Won 1st Prize in Bridge Making competition during the technical festival in college among 200 participants from many Engineering Colleges in 2010.
• Participated & Won 1st Prize in Concrete cube making & strength testing competition during the technical festival in college among 120 participants from many Engineering Colleges in 2009.
• Participated & Won 3rd Prize in Construction at site Competition during the technical festival in college among 300 participants from many Engineering Colleges in 2009.
• Participated & Won the 2nd Prize in Bridge Making Competition during the technical festival in college among 230 participants from many Engineering Colleges in 2008.
• Organized Annual Cultural Festival Engifest-09 as Organizer-Publicity.
• Organized Annual Technical Festival of College Innova-09 as Chief Organizer.
• Organized Annual Technical Festival of College Innova-08 as Event Organizer & Raised INR50,000 for the fest from Aditya Birla Group.
• Organized Annual Technical Festival of College Innova-07 as Volunteer-Hospitality.
• Volunteered to Organise College events for SPIC MACAY (Society for the Promotion of Indian Classical Music and Culture Amongst Youth) from 2007-2009.
• Selected as Cricket Team Captain from my Hostel in Inter-Hostel Cricket Competition, 2006.
• Won scholarship at 5th Grade after passing Selection Test Conducted by Central Board of Secondary Education for Free Education, Boarding, and activities from 6th Grade to 12th Grade.
• Received commitment to Quality award from Project Director for successful project completion with 100% quality.
• Received commitment to Quality award from Project Director for successful project completion with 100% quality.
• Awarded for Identifying changes required in the process of management of change documentation procedure for human & process efficiency by adopting new technology.
• Accomplished Certificate of Spot recognition twice from Vice President to finish the project with safety quality & productivity.

Regards,
Deepak Pandey

Hello Deepak,
Your UG GPA is low, but it is also far back in time. Have you thought of or taken any courses to or certificate programs to offset your low GPA? You should also aim at getting a higher GMAT score to compensate for your low GPA and assuring the AdCom of your academic rigor.
Almost all your EC are from the time of your college and are hence outdated. The remaining are your achievements at work. You need to talk about EC that is recent or any passion that you continued. AdCom want a rounded personality and love to see the social impact you have created beyond your personal development. Most times, applicants do not realize the extent of their extra-curricular initiatives, thinking most of it as mundane.
The quality of your WE would matter highly, if you were able to demonstrate any leadership, contribute to the growth of the company, etc. Much of the probability of success will come from the strategic positioning of your application, e.g., your accomplishments, your need for an MBA and how you will contribute to the academic community while you are a student.
Hope this helps.

Hi Ruchi,
Thanks a lot for your advice, which is really helpful in moving forward.
The first step would be to get a sound GMAT score & plan further strategy accordingly.
PS: I recently applied for EMBA in LBS, Cambridge & Oxford. I Gave EA as a requirement & selected in all 3. However, I defer the admission just to take a chance on FT. I know that EMBA admission is much easier compare to FT.
Once done with the GMAT, I hope to get in touch for further strategic planning.
Lastly, if you may advise, depending on my age & consideration of getting a GMAT of 710-730, what other colleges I may eye upon.
With Due regards,
Deepak Pandey
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 45 [1]
Send PM
Re: INSEAD Profile Evaluation - Tools for B-School Profile Evaluation [#permalink]
Kudos
deeppan wrote:
RUCHIPCONSULTING wrote:
deeppan wrote:
RUCHIPCONSULTING wrote:
deeppan wrote:
Good day all, Requesting you to please evaluate my Profile & advise on GMAT score I should target as yet to give.

Work Exp. : 10 years Total; Recruited in Singapore thereafter Indonesia, China, India (2 Promotions in 3 Years)
Change Company & move to Dubai, Saudi, Qatar & relocated to the UK within the Company (3 Promotions in 6 Years)
Department worked in: Subsea Field Operations, Marine Operations, Project Management, Fabrication & Project Marine Estimation (Bid)

Hello deeppan,
It will be very difficult to comment on your profile as you haven’t given details around your experience. It will also be good to know about your extra-curricular.
Your experience for INSEAD is definitely on the higher side. You have much of international experience, which is a positive for INSEAD; however, one question is why do you need an MBA after 10 years of WE. This is something you will have to convince AdCom about. You haven’t talked much about your goals post MBA, and I think this will be the key to your chances for INSEAD.
Again, if I had more details around your UG score, it would have been easier to comment on what you should target for GMAT. But only considering your experience, you should be fine with anything above 700. However, try to aim as high as you can.

Dear Ruchi,

Reason for MBA: I wish to go for FT MBA because I understand that Post MBA I can be part of the Oil & Gas consultation group or operator side, Looking at the current market trend of Oil & Gas industry.
• Succeeded as Placement Co-ordinator in 100% job placement for Civil Engineering batch 2010 students in the final year of College.
• Participated & Won 1st Prize in Bridge Making competition during the technical festival in college among 200 participants from many Engineering Colleges in 2010.
• Participated & Won 1st Prize in Concrete cube making & strength testing competition during the technical festival in college among 120 participants from many Engineering Colleges in 2009.
• Participated & Won 3rd Prize in Construction at site Competition during the technical festival in college among 300 participants from many Engineering Colleges in 2009.
• Participated & Won the 2nd Prize in Bridge Making Competition during the technical festival in college among 230 participants from many Engineering Colleges in 2008.
• Organized Annual Technical Festival of College Innova-08 as Event Organizer & Raised INR50,000 for the fest from Aditya Birla Group.
• Organized Annual Technical Festival of College Innova-07 as Volunteer-Hospitality.
• Volunteered to Organise College events for SPIC MACAY (Society for the Promotion of Indian Classical Music and Culture Amongst Youth) from 2007-2009.
• Selected as Cricket Team Captain from my Hostel in Inter-Hostel Cricket Competition, 2006.
• Won scholarship at 5th Grade after passing Selection Test Conducted by Central Board of Secondary Education for Free Education, Boarding, and activities from 6th Grade to 12th Grade.
• Awarded for Identifying changes required in the process of management of change documentation procedure for human & process efficiency by adopting new technology.
• Accomplished Certificate of Spot recognition twice from Vice President to finish the project with safety quality & productivity.

Regards,
Deepak Pandey

Hello Deepak,
Your UG GPA is low, but it is also far back in time. Have you thought of or taken any courses to or certificate programs to offset your low GPA? You should also aim at getting a higher GMAT score to compensate for your low GPA and assuring the AdCom of your academic rigor.
Almost all your EC are from the time of your college and are hence outdated. The remaining are your achievements at work. You need to talk about EC that is recent or any passion that you continued. AdCom want a rounded personality and love to see the social impact you have created beyond your personal development. Most times, applicants do not realize the extent of their extra-curricular initiatives, thinking most of it as mundane.
The quality of your WE would matter highly, if you were able to demonstrate any leadership, contribute to the growth of the company, etc. Much of the probability of success will come from the strategic positioning of your application, e.g., your accomplishments, your need for an MBA and how you will contribute to the academic community while you are a student.
Hope this helps.

Hi Ruchi,
The first step would be to get a sound GMAT score & plan further strategy accordingly.
PS: I recently applied for EMBA in LBS, Cambridge & Oxford. I Gave EA as a requirement & selected in all 3. However, I defer the admission just to take a chance on FT. I know that EMBA admission is much easier compare to FT.
Lastly, if you may advise, depending on my age & consideration of getting a GMAT of 710-730, what other colleges I may eye upon.
With Due regards,
Deepak Pandey

Hello Deepak,
If you are interested in an MBA from the US, you could look at McCombs School of Business, UNC Kenan Flagler, Duke Fuqua, Rice University. In the UK, you could look at Imperial College.
Hope this helps.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
GPA: 3.6
Send PM
deeppan wrote:
RUCHIPCONSULTING wrote:
deeppan wrote:
RUCHIPCONSULTING wrote:
deeppan wrote:

Hello deeppan,

Dear Ruchi,

Regards,
Deepak Pandey

Hello Deepak,
Hope this helps.

Hi Ruchi,
With Due regards,
Deepak Pandey

Hi Deepak,
I recently just applied to INSEAD FT MBA R2. I do have similar experience like you in oil and gas but on operator side with international experience over 5 countries and 8 years of overall experience. And I’m also 35 YO. However, i was rejected for the FT program and was instead recommended to transfer my application to the EMBA because of my experience and age. I would guess that for you it would be the most likely result as you have more experience that me. I don’t want to discourage you but preparing for the GMAT is a huge commitment (I prepared for it with no use now) and I’m not sure if it will help you in this case as most of the programs will almost always ask you to consider the EMBA program instead. So it maybe better to better utilise your time and resources to apply to better EMBA programs.
It’s just my 2 cents based on my experience on the application. I’m transferring my application to EMBA now.

All the best for your applications.

BR

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: MBA and Beyond
Own Kudos [?]: 57 [0]
Given Kudos: 80
Shantanu: Sharma
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
WE:Other (Internet and New Media)
Send PM
Hi stiGMATise,

Great work on the profile there and I would say INSEAD is a great pick when it comes to Consulting as a post-MBA goal. As per the recent employment statistics, INSEAD placed 35% of the candidates in the consulting sector across the globe. You can learn more about it here: https://intheknow.insead.edu/employment ... im=country

With your profile, a GMAT score of 720 is great for INSEAD.
INSEAD evaluates the candidates on the basis of :
1. Academics: consider the competitiveness of the institution you attended and your academic performance.
2. Ability to contribute to INSEAD’s vision
3. Leadership Skills: exceptional maturity and outstanding leadership through their professional and personal experiences
4. International Motivation: international outlook and the ability to work effectively in multiple cultures

I see a great mix of 1, 3 and 4 in you and your motive for doing a second MBA is very clear to me. I can see international exposure in your work but you will need to emphatically bring out 'leadership' in your application. I believe you could use your startup experience to your advantage for that. I did the same when I was writing my application- Entrepreneurship and Intrapreneurship made the major chunk of my application. Also I would advise you to:
1. Clearly identify the gaps in your profile that INSEAD will help you fill
2. Think beyond academics and work to bring out your personality in your essays
because what’s going to matter most in your application is how you connect the experiential dots and build a great story to stand out from other applicants in the pool.

If you'd like, I am happy to hop on a call sometime this weekend to discuss your chances in further detail. Feel free to book my calendar as per your convenience.

Cheers!
Shantanu Sharma,
Founder and Admissions Consultant, MBA and Beyond
Schedule a free session
Email: shantanu@mbaandbeyond.com
What s app: +65-97158525
Call: +49-15212121641
Linkedin

stiGMATise wrote:
Hi All

Please Evaluate my Profile for Application to INSEAD.

Background
1. Age 28
2. GMAT: 720 V39, Q49

3. Education: Bachelor's in Engineering in Telecommunication (Top 30 colleges India). MBA in Marketing & Operations (Top 10 Colleges India)

Work Experience: 4 years
Pre MBA
Job 1: US based IT Company. Role: Software Developer, Location India
Post MBA
Job 2: US based Operations Company, Role: Assistant Manager: Program and Strategy, Location: India
Job 3: India Based Unicorn Startup, Role: Assistant Manager: Strategy and Operations (Sales & Pricing), Location: India

I have exposure of working with clients from over 20 countries.
I have been a part of a 4 month exchange program in France. Traveled to 10+ countries solo.

Reason for 2nd MBA: It was this international experience that changed my perspective and why I wish to pursue a career in an International Setting. Learning from new cultures and people excites me.
Post MBA role aspiration: Strategy and Consulting Role in Process Transformation

Looking forward to hearing from you

Thanks
Sid
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 29 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Hello,
I'm just back from my GMAT test center and need help with evaluation of my profile. Here are the details:

1. GMAT Score : 710 - Q49, V38, I8 (wondering whether to retake, open for suggestions)
2. Work Experience : ~4 years (currently working as Product Manager at Mahindra Comviva, previously worked in Marketing at Mahindra Comviva, and Research division at Gartner)
3. Industry : Fintech, IT
4. Academics : X - 9.8/10 CGPA; XII - 96.6%; Graduation - 8.4/10 GPA; Co-authored two academic journals; Awarded Merit Certificate in Indian National Mathematics Olympiad (INMO)
5. Background : Chemical Engineering from IIT Delhi (2016 graduate)
6. Extra Curricular : Currently building a community of movie lovers (4000+ current audience base); Soon to publish a fictional novel; Organized, won, and participated in multiple national and state-level quiz competitions; Learning Spanish in my free-time.

If there are other suggestions, would love to hear them too.
Sia Admissions Representative
Affiliations: NYU, Yale
Own Kudos [?]: 145 [0]
Given Kudos: 67
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi coward4gmat

Thank you for sharing your profile. An important element of a profile evaluation is it's relation to the goals. What are your goals?

As to the GMAT, I encourage you to retake it to add 10+ points to the total score. Your extracurricular seem interesting and can be differentiating factors should they be communicated effectively. With INSEAD, there's an entire section that focused on your work experiences, and I would want to learn more about those. It is unclear to me what your work contributions have been and how they relate (or don't) to your goals.

Happy to discuss your profile further. When ready, please reach out.

Good luck!

coward4gmat wrote:
Hello,
I'm just back from my GMAT test center and need help with evaluation of my profile. Here are the details:

1. GMAT Score : 710 - Q49, V38, I8 (wondering whether to retake, open for suggestions)
2. Work Experience : ~4 years (currently working as Product Manager at Mahindra Comviva, previously worked in Marketing at Mahindra Comviva, and Research division at Gartner)
3. Industry : Fintech, IT
4. Academics : X - 9.8/10 CGPA; XII - 96.6%; Graduation - 8.4/10 GPA; Co-authored two academic journals; Awarded Merit Certificate in Indian National Mathematics Olympiad (INMO)
5. Background : Chemical Engineering from IIT Delhi (2016 graduate)
6. Extra Curricular : Currently building a community of movie lovers (4000+ current audience base); Soon to publish a fictional novel; Organized, won, and participated in multiple national and state-level quiz competitions; Learning Spanish in my free-time.

If there are other suggestions, would love to hear them too.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.12
Send PM
Kudos
I am a Singaporean Chinese, graduated from a local university (which ranks well on international lists) in Business, majoring in Finance in end-2017. Worked for 2 years at an investment banking/equity capital markets boutique doing small deals and corporate finance advisory. Moved to commercial deal team in a large state-owned enterprise shortly after receiving a promotion, focusing on sustainable energy solutions.

My main issues are a low undergraduate GPA and lack of extracurriculars.

MBA Info
Why I want an MBA:
My schooling and work experience are all geographically limited. The longest stint I had outside my country of birth is 3 months in Europe on Erasmus. I am looking to develop 1. an international network; 2. move into strategy consulting to earn my chops; and 3. hopefully continue developing in the sustainable energy space in the future after.

Why I want one now:
Organic career growth prospects are limited on my current trajectory and I find it difficult to have international mobility given my background.
There's 1 year 10 months of mandatory military service in Singapore (at 19), which explains the age/work experience I have today (3.5 years post-Bachelor's at point of matriculation for the September 2021 intake). From a practical standpoint, it's when I have the least opportunity cost to pursue a full-time MBA while also meeting the minimum work requirements to make a competitive application.

Background
Work experience:
2 years 2 months in a no-name equity capital markets boutique. Promoted at the end of the second year.
Started working at a state-owned enterprise from end-February (annual revenue US$3 bn), on a deal desk that has an international focus (especially China) in sustainable energy solutions and investments.
Will reach a cumulative >3.5 years of experience in time for matriculation for September 2021.

Extra curriculars and other experience:
Minimal. School athlete in running before age 19.

Undergrad school/major:
Singapore university with decent international rankings (NTU/NUS), Bachelor in Business (major in Finance).

Other education/coursework:
Passed CFA Level 1. Took a bunch of online courses in Python and SQL.

Race/nationality: Singaporean Chinese.
Sex: Male.

Stats
GMAT Score: [Online] 720 (Q49, V38, IR7)
Undergrad GPA: 3.90/5.00 (3.12/4.0; 2:2)
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Hi zedeffwu,

I think I evaluated your profile for another school this morning and I'd like to reiterate that you have got a nice profile.
INSEAD is a great school when it comes to Consulting as a post-MBA goal.
Consulting Sector constituted 35% new hires and 16% returnees in 2019.

INSEAD evaluates your potential based of the following criteria:
1. Ability to contribute
2. Leadership skills
3. International motivation
4. Academics

I clearly see a good mix of 1, 3 and 4 in your profile there. However, I’d like to clarify your concern about “not having worked outside of your country” and what does INSEAD really mean by 'International Experience'. “International Experience” doesn’t really mean that you need to stay/work outside your home country in order to showcase that in your application. Rather the school wants to see if you can cope with a multicultural setting. And, having lived in Singapore for the past few years, I can very confidently say that defending a 'multicultural environment' shouldn't be a problem for you.
I recently worked with 2 applicants from India who had no experience working outside the country they were born in, yet they made it to INSEAD.

With a GMAT score of 720, I see a good chance for you to make it to INSEAD. What’s going to matter most in your application is how you connect the experiential dots and build a great story to stand out from other applicants in the pool.
Make sure you list the gaps in your profile that you feel INSEAD will help you fill and highlight the same in a logical flow in your application.

If you'd like, I am happy to hop on a call sometime this week to discuss your chances for both INSEAD (along with any other school you are eyeing). Feel free to book my calendar as per your convenience.

Cheers!
Shantanu Sharma,
Schedule a free session

zedeffwu wrote:
I am a Singaporean Chinese, graduated from a local university (which ranks well on international lists) in Business, majoring in Finance in end-2017. Worked for 2 years at an investment banking/equity capital markets boutique doing small deals and corporate finance advisory. Moved to commercial deal team in a large state-owned enterprise shortly after receiving a promotion, focusing on sustainable energy solutions.

My main issues are a low undergraduate GPA and lack of extracurriculars.

MBA Info
Why I want an MBA:
My schooling and work experience are all geographically limited. The longest stint I had outside my country of birth is 3 months in Europe on Erasmus. I am looking to develop 1. an international network; 2. move into strategy consulting to earn my chops; and 3. hopefully continue developing in the sustainable energy space in the future after.

Why I want one now:
Organic career growth prospects are limited on my current trajectory and I find it difficult to have international mobility given my background.
There's 1 year 10 months of mandatory military service in Singapore (at 19), which explains the age/work experience I have today (3.5 years post-Bachelor's at point of matriculation for the September 2021 intake). From a practical standpoint, it's when I have the least opportunity cost to pursue a full-time MBA while also meeting the minimum work requirements to make a competitive application.

Background
Work experience:
2 years 2 months in a no-name equity capital markets boutique. Promoted at the end of the second year.
Started working at a state-owned enterprise from end-February (annual revenue US$3 bn), on a deal desk that has an international focus (especially China) in sustainable energy solutions and investments.
Will reach a cumulative >3.5 years of experience in time for matriculation for September 2021.

Extra curriculars and other experience:
Minimal. School athlete in running before age 19.

Undergrad school/major:
Singapore university with decent international rankings (NTU/NUS), Bachelor in Business (major in Finance).

Other education/coursework:
Passed CFA Level 1. Took a bunch of online courses in Python and SQL.

Race/nationality: Singaporean Chinese.
Sex: Male.

Stats
GMAT Score: [Online] 720 (Q49, V38, IR7)
Undergrad GPA: 3.90/5.00 (3.12/4.0; 2:2)
Yale Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 91
Send PM
Hi, Request a profile evaluation for INSEAD

Indian male, 28, GMAT 740, Computer Engineer - Top 25 Univ. (72/100 - 4.00 as per GMAC)
Experience: 6.5 yrs work-ex across Social Impact Consulting (3 years - org. has many Oxford alum and interns who come here), Non - profit research and software development
Currently: leading and mentoring a 5 member team in one of India's largest Social Impact Consulting firm - Engagement Manager: managing a 30million P&L, 20million sales GTM strategy. 2 promotions in 2.5 years - advice CXOs of large corporations, NGOs and multilateral orgs. on social sector strategy and advisory using research and data (think the application of machine learning on primary datasets)

In the current role:
1. Enabled Google to understand the Impact of its AI-powered mobile app to improve reading fluency of 1million kids across India - designed implementation strategy to scale impact from 9+ countries to 189 countries impacting 20million+ kids:
2. Helping Microsoft design its long term CSR strategy in India: impacting >1million youth
3. Impacting >10million people across India through strategic advisory support to CXOs of some of the largest social Impact programs of the world

Previously:
Grassroot Research at one of the world’s premier education non-profit
1. Enabled education policy level changes across 2 Indian states impacting >10million school going kid - Researched across 23 Indian states: remote rural locations: liaison with Central and state govt. enabling policy level changes
2. Managed world’s largest citizen-led student assessment in two Indian states: managing > 3000 volunteers

Strategic Advisory to a small non-profit
1. Designed, implemented and scaled a Design Thinking program to impact 10,000+ school students across 179 Indian schools - the program now scaling to over 600 schools across an Indian state - still using the strategy and models I developed for expansion
2. Enabling the migration of a unique teacher development program to a tech platform - acting as a product manager for the same

Software Developer for a year

Extracurricular
1. Developed a participatory policy-making software platform - selected as a semi-finalist at ASEM (ASEAN + Europe: 52 country-wide) stage
2. Two national finalist positions ( Top 20 in >100,000 participants)
3. Invited delegate- two global forums (among 250/5000 participants from 175 nationalities)
4. Youngest Invited speaker to India's largest Social Innovation Forum - presented a unique approach to social impact program implementation - whitepaper written on it by me will be out soon
5. Guest Faculty to 2 Top Indian MBA colleges - lecture Public sector leaders on strategic Social Impact
6. Mentor to 7 IIM students and CEO of a small NGO running innovative schools impacting 40,000+ students
7. Developed an emotion-based media player as a college major project - liquidated the same to a tech startup
8. Sports: played professional football for a club in Delhi and also state football

Career motivation: traveled across the country for grassroots research and understood that the problem I want to solve is that of education and skilling. Background in computer science and the emergence of data science provided the sweet spot to work at the intersection of technology being adaptive to a user's education and skilling needs.

Short term goals: Want to enter the product management space as an AI product manager (already have developed and envisaged multiple tech products as mentioned above) to understand how tech products as envisaged - developed - marketed to impact at a global stage.

Long term: want to develop my own product that would work at an intersection of tech - education and skilling to create an impact in India and Africa.

Recos: one from my current manager (Principal consultant whom I report to) and 2nd from the CEO who is himself an INSEAD alum.

Please comment on my chances at INSEAD and a possibility of $$. Also, please suggest ways in which the odds for the same could be improved?

Many Thanks!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Hi neo92,

Yours is an 'excellent profile' for INSEAD and trust me I haven't used that combination of words in a long time.
Your professional experience is one of the best I have come across recently with a perfect GMAT score.

I absolutely love your post-MBA goal. And I believe INSEAD as a school is accurately aligned with it.
You get an opportunity to immerse yourself in Impact Investment Deep Dive during the program , where the MBA students get to evaluate social businesses all around the globe, in partnership with PE firms and Cartier. It is a great platform for you to learn and network with social entrepreneurs and Investors working in the same direction.
You will also have the ability to connect and learn from amazing faculty working in the same direction like Prof. Hans. https://knowledge.insead.edu/users/hanswahl

INSEAD evaluates your potential based of the following criteria:
1. Ability to contribute
2. Leadership skills
3. International motivation
4. Academics

And I can clearly see that your profile has abundance of all 4 to showcase in your application. Your 'Grassroot Research' previously and your current experience ('AI-powered app to improve reading fluency), when linked make a perfect connection with you post-MBA goal. Just make sure you are able to clearly define how INSEAD's MBA program is going to help you achieve this goal which you can't do otherwise. And I believe you have a pretty good chance at grabbing some good shoclarship as well, by emphasizing the impact your endeavors have brought in this world.

What’s going to matter most in your application is how you connect the experiential dots and build a great story to stand out from other applicants in the pool. With a perfect profile like yours, it's going to be all about a great story that showcases all the values that INSEAD seeks to find in any candidate holistically.
I think I have also evaluated your profile for SAID this morning. However, If you still have more questions, I am happy to hop on a call sometime this week to discuss your chances in further detail for both SAID and INSEAD (along with any other school you are eyeing). Feel free to book my calendar as per your convenience.

Cheers!
Shantanu Sharma,
Schedule a free session
Linkedin

neo92 wrote:
Hi, Request a profile evaluation for INSEAD

Indian male, 28, GMAT 740, Computer Engineer - Top 25 Univ. (72/100 - 4.00 as per GMAC)
Experience: 6.5 yrs work-ex across Social Impact Consulting (3 years - org. has many Oxford alum and interns who come here), Non - profit research and software development
Currently: leading and mentoring a 5 member team in one of India's largest Social Impact Consulting firm - Engagement Manager: managing a 30million P&L, 20million sales GTM strategy. 2 promotions in 2.5 years - advice CXOs of large corporations, NGOs and multilateral orgs. on social sector strategy and advisory using research and data (think the application of machine learning on primary datasets)

In the current role:
1. Enabled Google to understand the Impact of its AI-powered mobile app to improve reading fluency of 1million kids across India - designed implementation strategy to scale impact from 9+ countries to 189 countries impacting 20million+ kids:
2. Helping Microsoft design its long term CSR strategy in India: impacting >1million youth
3. Impacting >10million people across India through strategic advisory support to CXOs of some of the largest social Impact programs of the world

Previously:
Grassroot Research at one of the world’s premier education non-profit
1. Enabled education policy level changes across 2 Indian states impacting >10million school going kid - Researched across 23 Indian states: remote rural locations: liaison with Central and state govt. enabling policy level changes
2. Managed world’s largest citizen-led student assessment in two Indian states: managing > 3000 volunteers

Strategic Advisory to a small non-profit
1. Designed, implemented and scaled a Design Thinking program to impact 10,000+ school students across 179 Indian schools - the program now scaling to over 600 schools across an Indian state - still using the strategy and models I developed for expansion
2. Enabling the migration of a unique teacher development program to a tech platform - acting as a product manager for the same

Software Developer for a year

Extracurricular
1. Developed a participatory policy-making software platform - selected as a semi-finalist at ASEM (ASEAN + Europe: 52 country-wide) stage
2. Two national finalist positions ( Top 20 in >100,000 participants)
3. Invited delegate- two global forums (among 250/5000 participants from 175 nationalities)
4. Youngest Invited speaker to India's largest Social Innovation Forum - presented a unique approach to social impact program implementation - whitepaper written on it by me will be out soon
5. Guest Faculty to 2 Top Indian MBA colleges - lecture Public sector leaders on strategic Social Impact
6. Mentor to 7 IIM students and CEO of a small NGO running innovative schools impacting 40,000+ students
7. Developed an emotion-based media player as a college major project - liquidated the same to a tech startup
8. Sports: played professional football for a club in Delhi and also state football

Career motivation: traveled across the country for grassroots research and understood that the problem I want to solve is that of education and skilling. Background in computer science and the emergence of data science provided the sweet spot to work at the intersection of technology being adaptive to a user's education and skilling needs.

Short term goals: Want to enter the product management space as an AI product manager (already have developed and envisaged multiple tech products as mentioned above) to understand how tech products as envisaged - developed - marketed to impact at a global stage.

Long term: want to develop my own product that would work at an intersection of tech - education and skilling to create an impact in India and Africa.

Recos: one from my current manager (Principal consultant whom I report to) and 2nd from the CEO who is himself an INSEAD alum.

Please comment on my chances at INSEAD and a possibility of $$. Also, please suggest ways in which the odds for the same could be improved?

Many Thanks!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Can somebody help me with my profile evaluation?

Profile Brief :
Educational background -
PGDM (GIM 2013-15) - 4.96/8
B.E. (Mech.) (GEC- 2009-13) - First Class with Distinction (73%)
12th Standard (Science ) - 79.16%
10th Standard - 80.26%
Total Experience : 62 months
Domain: Digital Transformation , Business Process Re-engineering and Project Management
Business lines : Financial Markets, Digital Marketing, Procurement and Commercial Insurance
Certification: Six Sigma Black belt

Organizations and Positions:
eClerx services - Process Manager (2015-18)
Ab In Bev - Principal Analyst (2018-19)
WNS Global Services ( 2019 - Current )

International Exposure :
Led the project management and implementation of Global projects for the Procurement headquarters with team members from Brazil, Switzerland, Canada, US and India

Countries travelled :
1. Brazil (Sao Paulo)

Extracurriculars :
1. School : Acting (Certificates of best actor awards at state level competition) and other awards at school level

2. College : Member of MESA council - (No Certification )
Successfully completed the government funded project of automated food cooking machine as a part of engineering course work

3. GIM :
I) Part of the Student PR team (Mentioned along with the photographs in the Institute year book.
a. Supported the college admissions by establishing the online candidates chat groups
b. Key member in establishing the merchandise store on campus for the sale of official college goodies including online sales on campus mall.co
II) Part of the CSR team driving awareness of environmental preservation in goa
a. Developed educational videos to be circulated in schools across the state
b. Developed reading material and presentations that could be used in schools

2015 - 2020 - Extracurriculars
1. Organized Hackathon event at AB inBev - Country level event (Certificate available ) and hosted multiple events within the organization
2. Cycling - Long Distance Mountain terrain cycling - (No certificates , however multiple endomondo logs /photos available )
3. Himalayan Treks - Alpine trekking at Moon Peak in lower himalayas, 5 days Green trail trek promoting environmental cleanliness in himalayas on the Kuari Pass (Lord Curzon's Trail) , 5 Days trek to Kedarkantha Mountain peak in winters, Aline Biking in the Leh - Ladhak region ( Certificate available )
4. Part of eClerx Cares and WNS Cares foundation while working in the organization focussed on child education.

Post MBA desired profile:
Strategy /Consulting
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 575 [0]
Given Kudos: 156
Send PM
Expert Reply
Akshay12021992 wrote:

Profile Brief :
Educational background -
10th Standard - 80.26%
Domain: Digital Transformation , Business Process Re-engineering and Project Management
Business lines : Financial Markets, Digital Marketing, Procurement and Commercial Insurance

International Exposure :
Led the project management and implementation of Global projects for the Procurement headquarters with team members from Brazil, Switzerland, Canada, US and India

Countries travelled :
1. Brazil (Sao Paulo)

Extracurriculars :
1. School : Acting (Certificates of best actor awards at state level competition) and other awards at school level

Successfully completed the government funded project of automated food cooking machine as a part of engineering course work

3. GIM :
I) Part of the Student PR team (Mentioned along with the photographs in the Institute year book.
a. Supported the college admissions by establishing the online candidates chat groups
b. Key member in establishing the merchandise store on campus for the sale of official college goodies including online sales on campus mall.co

1. Organized Hackathon event at AB inBev - Country level event (Certificate available ) and hosted multiple events within the organization
2. Cycling - Long Distance Mountain terrain cycling - (No certificates , however multiple endomondo logs /photos available )
3. Himalayan Treks - Alpine trekking at Moon Peak in lower himalayas, 5 days Green trail trek promoting environmental cleanliness in himalayas on the Kuari Pass (Lord Curzon's Trail) , 5 Days trek to Kedarkantha Mountain peak in winters, Aline Biking in the Leh - Ladhak region ( Certificate available )
4. Part of eClerx Cares and WNS Cares foundation while working in the organization focussed on child education.

Strategy /Consulting

Hi Akshay,

Good profile. Your career growth has been pretty good overall and I see that as being helpful at any b-school where you apply. The adcom is likely to ask you why you need a second MBA and you must address that through the optional essay. I'd also stress upon why INSEAD is a target program - what is it about INSEAD that will be instrumental for your career growth?

I like your ECAs, particularly the endurance sports. Now the missing piece in the puzzle is the GMAT score- aim for a 700+
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi Ruchi,
With Due regards,
Deepak Pandey[/quote]

Hi Deepak,
I recently just applied to INSEAD FT MBA R2. I do have similar experience like you in oil and gas but on operator side with international experience over 5 countries and 8 years of overall experience. And I’m also 35 YO. However, i was rejected for the FT program and was instead recommended to transfer my application to the EMBA because of my experience and age. I would guess that for you it would be the most likely result as you have more experience that me. I don’t want to discourage you but preparing for the GMAT is a huge commitment (I prepared for it with no use now) and I’m not sure if it will help you in this case as most of the programs will almost always ask you to consider the EMBA program instead. So it maybe better to better utilise your time and resources to apply to better EMBA programs.
It’s just my 2 cents based on my experience on the application. I’m transferring my application to EMBA now.

All the best for your applications.

BR

Posted from my mobile device[/quote]
Thanks, BR, I am considering that, However still studying for GMAT to brush up on my skills which may be required in case I go for EMBA as well.
Regards,
Deepak
Intern
Intern
Send PM
MBADecoder wrote:
Akshay12021992 wrote:

Profile Brief :
Educational background -
10th Standard - 80.26%

International Exposure :

Countries travelled :
1. Brazil (Sao Paulo)

Extracurriculars :

3. GIM :

Strategy /Consulting

Hi Akshay,

Good profile. Your career growth has been pretty good overall and I see that as being helpful at any b-school where you apply. The adcom is likely to ask you why you need a second MBA and you must address that through the optional essay. I'd also stress upon why INSEAD is a target program - what is it about INSEAD that will be instrumental for your career growth?

I like your ECAs, particularly the endurance sports. Now the missing piece in the puzzle is the GMAT score- aim for a 700+

Hi Namita,

Thank you for the evaluation. Yes waiting for the test centers to open in my city now.

Thank you
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
Hi GMAT Club!
I would really appreciate if you could help me understand if I stand a chance of entering LBS MBA

28 years old Indian
Xth: 93%, XIIth: 83%
B.Tech. from National Institute of Technology Allahabad (NIT Allahabad), GPA: 7.2/10 (2010-2014) - Top 10 Engineering college in India
MBA from Indian Institute of Foreign Trade (GPA: 2.8/4.33) (2016-2018) - Top 10 MBA college in India
CFA Level 3 cleared

Target schools: LBS, Oxford, Cambridge, INSEAD, HEC

Work Experience
Analyst, HSBC Investment Banking, India (2018-Present)
Worked with Managing Directors, Directors based in UK in transaction origination and transaction execution. Performed market and sector research for clients and highlighted key activities and trends. Analyzed business models, developed detailed business plan and 3-statement financial models. Hands-on experience with Leveraged Buyout (LBO), Discounted Cash Flow (DCF) and merger model. Prepared pitch books, IMs, RFPs, financial models and did intrinsic and relative valuation.

Closed £8bn of transactions for various global clients. Received recognition multiple times by senior leadership

Worked in London for 3 months to support transactions at advanced stage, coordinated with clients and other banks to close transactions

Samsung Research Institute, India (2014-2016)
Interacted regularly with world’s leading telecom operators to identify key business requirements and coordinated with Product Engineering team to implement them in the solution stack. Provided uninterrupted Service Management to see that all the services are always functional. Closely worked with third party network vendors to ensure seamless delivery of our solution stack

Achievements - Business travel to Taipei to oversee commercialization of Samsung Galaxy S6 for Taiwanese operators

MBA Info
Why I want an MBA:
My schooling and work experience are all geographically limited (except 3 months in London with HSBC and 1 month in Taipei with Samsung). The longest stint I had outside my country of birth is 3 months in London for HSBC. I am looking to develop 1. an international network; 2. move into PE,VC /corporate M&A;

Why I want one now:
Organic career growth prospects are limited on my current trajectory and I find it difficult to have international mobility

Awards
Top rated analyst (in the batch of 26 from best B-Schools of the country) at HSBC
National finalist in HSBC's case competition
Authored ‘Why Putin should move on’ for the February issue of IIM Rohtak’s finance magazine ‘FI’
Avid quizzer and chess player

Extra-curricular
Avid traveler, having visited 8 countries since 2016.
Passionate about EDM and attended 15+ concerts all across the globe

Application
I will apply during September or October (R1 or R2)
Career goals: Corporate strategy (Tech-focused), Corporate M&A, PE/VC
MBA and Beyond Consulting
Status:MBA Admissions Consulting from INSEAD, Wharton and Columbia graduates
Affiliations: INSEAD and Harvard
Own Kudos [?]: 350 [1]
Given Kudos: 22
Send PM