Last visit was: 03 May 2024, 22:57 It is currently 03 May 2024, 22:57

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 348 [45]
Given Kudos: 57
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V41
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: CrackVerbal
Own Kudos [?]: 7641 [10]
Given Kudos: 215
Send PM
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63759 [8]
Given Kudos: 1775
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 621029 [0]
Given Kudos: 81742
Send PM
Re: If there are any inspired musical performances in the concert, the aud [#permalink]
Expert Reply
apoorv601 wrote:
If there are any inspired musical performances in the concert, the audience will be treated to a good show. But there will not be a good show unless there are sophisticated listeners in the audience, and to be a sophisticated listener one must understand one's musical roots.

If all the statements above are true, which one of the following must also be true?

A) If there are no sophisticated listeners in the audience, then there will be no inspired musical performances in the concert.

B) No people who understand their musical roots will be in the audience if the audience will not be treated to a good show.

C) If there will be people in the audience who understand their musical roots, then at least one musical performance in the concert will be inspired.

D) The audience will be treated to a good show unless there are people in the audience who do not understand their musical roots.

E) If there are sophisticated listeners in the audience, then there will be inspired musical performances in the concert.

OFFICIAL EXPLANATION

The correct answer choice is (A).

The stimulus is a fact set containing three conditional statements. The statements can be linked together to create one long chain: IMP = inspired musical performances, GS = audience treated to a good show, SL = sophisticated listeners in the audience, UMR = understand one’s musical roots. 1. First sentence: IMP—>GS. 2. Second sentence, first part: GS —> SL. 3. Second sentence, second part: SL —> MR. 4. Chain of all statements: IMP—>GS—>SL—>UMR. With a long conditional chain and a Must Be True question, the correct answer will likely be a contrapositive of the entire chain or of a portion of the chain. Wrong answers will likely be Mistaken Reversals or Negations of the entire chain or of a portion of the chain. Keep this in mind and attack the problem!

Answer choice (A): This correct answer is a contrapositive of the chain created by the first two statements above. The diagram for this answer choice is: ~SL—>~IMP.

Answer choice (B): This answer choice is a Mistaken Negation of the chain created by the second and third statements above. The diagram for this answer choice is: ~GS—>~UMR. Make sure you do not miss the “if” in the middle of the answer choice.

Answer choice (C): This answer choice is a Mistaken Reversal of the chain of all statements. The diagram for this answer choice is: UMR—>IMP.

Answer choice (D): This answer choice is a Mistaken Negation of the chain created by the second and third statements above. This answer choice is identical to answer choice (B), and the diagram for this answer choice is: ~GS—>~UMR.

Answer choice (E): This answer choice is a Mistaken Reversal of the chain created by the first two statements above. The diagram for this answer choice is: SL—>IMP
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 126 [0]
Given Kudos: 48
Concentration: Operations, Finance
GMAT Date: 05-10-2015
GPA: 3.51
WE:Programming (Computer Software)
Send PM
Re: If there are any inspired musical performances in the concert, the aud [#permalink]
Inspired Musical Performance (IMP) => Good Show (GS)
NO sophisticated Listner (SL)=> NO GS
Understand Musical Root (UMR)=> SL

A) - CORRECT
From statement 2, NO SL => NO GS and negating statement 1 NO GS => NO IMP.

Rest all other option is failing to have proper chain.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 395 [1]
Given Kudos: 204
Concentration: Operations, International Business
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V33
GMAT 2: 700 Q50 V33
GMAT 3: 730 Q51 V38
GPA: 4
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Kudos
IMO A ; IMP -> GS; GS -> Slistn ; Slistn -> UnderM.Roots. Here only A says -> No Slistn => No GS which is contrapositive of 2nd statement.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 3380 [1]
Given Kudos: 877
Concentration: Marketing, International Business
Schools: HBS '19
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V44
GPA: 4
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Kudos
There are three conditional relationships from the stimulus.

1. IMP --> GS
2. GS --> SL
3. SL --> UMR

You can use the transitive property and combine these statements to yield many different possible inferences

1 + 2 = IMP --> SL
2 + 3 = GS --> UMR
1 + 2 + 3 = IMP --> UMR

or you could have the contrapositive of any of these statements.

(A) ~SL --> ~IMP is the correct answer and is the contrapositive of the inference from the first two statements.
(B) ~GS --> ~UMR is the negation of the inference of the second and third statements.
(C) UMR --> IMP is the reversal of the inference of all three statements.
(D) ~GS --> ~UMR is the negation of the inference of the second and third statement.
(E) SL --> IMP is the reversal of the first statement.

For statements involving "unless"

_______ , unless ________.

What comes after unless is the necessary condition. Everything else gets negated and thrown into the sufficient condition.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 67 [0]
Given Kudos: 143
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GPA: 3.75
WE:Consulting (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
But there will not be a good show unless there are sophisticated listeners in the audience

A) If there are no sophisticated listeners in the audience, then there will be no inspired musical performances in the concert

IMO A
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 85 [0]
Given Kudos: 932
Send PM
I think A - D is very close but I am not convinced:I took 4 minutes on this, I don't think that's wise either.

If there are any inspired musical performances in the concert, the audience will be treated to a good show. But there will not be a good show unless there are sophisticated listeners in the audience, and to be a sophisticated listener one must understand one's musical roots.

If all the statements above are true, which one of the following must also be true?

A) If there are no sophisticated listeners in the audience, then there will be no inspired musical performances in the concert. - Possible - if the listeners do not feel its a 'good' show; there will be no inspired performances. Also the argument hinges on the concert quality and not listeners.

B) No people who understand their musical roots will be in the audience if the audience will not be treated to a good show.
No, we cannot comment on the thoughts of the sophisticated listener

D) The audience will be treated to a good show unless there are people in the audience who do not understand their musical roots.
- This is not what the argument says - it says 1) inspired performance = good show 2) good show = sophisticated listeners who have musical roots. But, that doesn't mean people who don't have musical sense make the performance less 'good' --> this is what D is saying: audience can have a good show only if people who have musical roots attend it. NO - it says good inspirational performance = good show and THEN the listeners. Also, I took a personal example - if I take my tone deaf friend (sorry :( ) with me to a complex sounding classical concert; she may not like it, but the performance could be inspired and there maybe other less tone deaf audience who attended a 'good show'

I felt there is a really subtle difference in the interpretation of D and A; and A is closer

Expert opinions?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Kudos
GMATNinja please explain this question
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 441 [0]
Given Kudos: 43
Send PM
If there are any inspired musical performances in the concert, the aud [#permalink]
anairamitch1804

Could you please tell me the fault in my line of thought with option A.
If there are no sophisticated listeners in the audience, then there will be no inspired musical performances in the concert.

This could also mean that having sophisticated listeners becomes a pre-condition to having a good show and subsequently an inspired performance. But it is possible that the audience can have zero sophisticated listeners, yet have a good show. The relationship b/w inspired performance and good show seems sneaky to me.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6925 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts