GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 12 Nov 2018, 14:51

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in November
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • Mindful MBA

November 13, 2018

November 13, 2018

12:00 PM AST

01:00 PM AST

Join us Nov. 13, 12 PM ET for the Mindfulness Series, Fall 2018 - Energize. The final session of a three-part series.
  • 4 Steps to a 5 Star Recommendation

November 14, 2018

November 14, 2018

10:00 AM MST

11:00 AM MST

Nov. 14, 9 AM PST. Donna Bauman, Senior MBA Admissions Counselor and Lisa Cummings, MBA Admissions Counselor at Stratus have read tens of THOUSANDS of MBA recommendations during their time on top MBA admissions committees.

ISB 2019 Intake Class of 2020: Calling all applicants

new topic post reply Update application status  
Manager
Manager
B
GPA: 4
WE: Brand Management (Retail)
Reviews Badge
Re: ISB 2019 Intake Class of 2020: Calling all applicants  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Nov 2018, 00:25
So I was doing some rough calculation to see a trend regarding increase in fees. Below is as per my research.

Co'16 - 27 Lac
Co'17 - 29 Lac
Co' 18 - 36 Lac (major jump because of GST)
Co' 19 - 40 Lac (Admission Fee - 3 Lac + Tuition & other cost - 35 Lac + Other expenses - 2 Lac)

For Co'20 if we go by what UM1 mentioned then the total expenditure will come out to be 43 Lac. Though there has been a constant increase in the fee, unfortunately the placement figure has either remained constant or has dipped. The placement figure doesn't justify the increase in fee.

But as GmatDaddy pointed, ISB is just capitalizing on the demand as situation elsewhere is even worse for Indian candidates :x :(

Wish I wasn't so poor :grin: :lol:
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 630 Q40 V36
GMAT 2: 570 Q32 V37
GMAT 3: 680 Q46 V38
GMAT 4: 710 Q47 V40
GRE 1: Q156 V158
GPA: 3.5
WE: Marketing (Retail Banking)

Show Tags

New post 04 Nov 2018, 01:14
For those of you who are done with your interviews:

Is it still showing your status as 'Shortlisted' on the dashboard once you log in?

Is it meant to show something else, now that the interview is complete?
Intern
Intern
Schools: ISB '20 (I)

Show Tags

New post 04 Nov 2018, 02:04
GmatDaddy wrote:
UM1 wrote:
GmatDaddy wrote:
Of course the interviews are going on.
Its just a matter of reach, a very large chunk of the applicants are not active here. Out of those are, more than half never participate in the discussions.
For example have a look at the Decision Tracker Stats, people do not update it.

Well, there were quite a few updates about mum, delhi, Bangalore interviews. So it's not entirely what you are saying. But that said, interviews are happening as Nikhil just mentioned

In my honest opinion, I think its just a mere coincidence that we do not have many people who were interviewed at Hyd/Mohali participating here.
The actual no of applicants would be greater than 2000, if we consider the ratio of 8:5:1.
However, Decision Tracker says only 184 people applied to R1 :lol:

Ofcourse that is not true. It just happened that almost all the active Junta here was interviewed in Delhi, Mumbai and Bangalore

Interesting numbers.

Just that there are tons of silent readers who do not post. I was one of them. Having done with interview and waiting for results, I got active just yesterday in terms of posting.

Great to see some interesting conversations and get a deeper insight. The 8:5:1 stat is really interesting.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 04 Nov 2018, 02:06
Spiderguy252 wrote:

Is it still showing your status as 'Shortlisted' on the dashboard once you log in?

It's the same. My guess is that the status will now change only after the final result.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 04 Nov 2018, 02:11
GoodGuy wrote:
So I was doing some rough calculation to see a trend regarding increase in fees. Below is as per my research.

Co'16 - 27 Lac
Co'17 - 29 Lac
Co' 19 - 40 Lac (Admission Fee - 3 Lac + Tuition & other cost - 35 Lac + Other expenses - 2 Lac)

Perturbed to see such a strong rise. The average salaries have definitely not risen by as much. Anyway, will worry about this part when I have admits. Right now, fingers crossed.

Interesting analysis. Thanks.
Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 04 Nov 2018, 02:20
Earthandsky17 wrote:
Spiderguy252 wrote:

It's the same. My guess is that the status will now change only after the final result.

That's the interview selection status right?

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 04 Nov 2018, 02:22
UM1 wrote:
Earthandsky17 wrote:
Spiderguy252 wrote:

That's the interview selection status right?

Right.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 04 Nov 2018, 02:33
GmatDaddy wrote:
Quote:
Do you guys think ISB will be a feasible option if they further increase the already obnoxiously high tuition fees? I am not looking it for short term; even for long term it doesn't seem to be a rational option. Will be great if people on this forum can share their views about this. Thanks!

My 2 cents.

I totally second that, but the thing is India is a young country and given the current scenario[Visa Issues in US & UK and the job market in the rest of the world], I still think ISB is a safe bet.

Issue with Indian applicants is their Pre-MBA salaries. While, the ROI is on the lesser side, the salary increase post-mba is still a good to go factor for many Indian applicants. And with close-knit social system, many(myself included) would like to work in or close to India & competition through CAT is not going to come down anytime soon.

So the only point of concern for ISB will be the fee amount at which the ISB applicants will start equating the fee amount with the risk in US and Europe and start moving out.

That's bang on.

Further, the salaries in the first few years after MBA generally increase at a fast pace for performers. The network you build stays with you for rest of your career in India. Plus, the network is huge as ISB is worth 5-7 international schools in class size.

The ROI works better in international schools but uncertainty of having a job despite having spent a lot more is a serious concerns that makes ISB an attractive option despite the high investment from a PPP perspective.
Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: General Management, Finance
Schools: ISB
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V35
GPA: 3.31
WE: General Management (Energy and Utilities)
ISB 2019 Intake Class of 2020: Calling all applicants  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Nov 2018, 07:00
Out of 900 seats, many will be filled through ylp and deferred admission. Isb intake through ylp is significant. So a total of 1000 interviews in the last stage Of cycle 1 is quite a number and we should not doubt current reputation of isb

ISB, NUS, NTU Moderator
G
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 04 Nov 2018, 10:40
Earthandsky17 Welcome to the discussion thread.
It would be great if you could share your interview experience with us
Or perhaps awesome if you post it on Interview Debrief page !

~R.
If my post was of any help to you, You can thank me in the form of Kudos!!

Manager
Manager
B
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V40
WE: Marketing (Consumer Products)

Show Tags

New post 04 Nov 2018, 21:07
GoodGuy wrote:

Co'16 - 27 Lac
Co'17 - 29 Lac

For Co'20 if we go by what UM1 mentioned then the total expenditure will come out to be 43 Lac. Though there has been a constant increase in the fee, unfortunately the placement figure has either remained constant or has dipped. The placement figure doesn't justify the increase in fee.

But as GmatDaddy pointed, ISB is just capitalizing on the demand as situation elsewhere is even worse for Indian candidates :x :(

So you mean to say that the salary currently on the portal is last year's and not this year's? If that is the case, there is a lot to worry about. Fee rise by 3 lacs and then added GST is just too much. Will have to start talking with the alumni again and with different questions if net fees comes out to 40+.

I remember speaking to one of the alumni, and he said had the fees been around 30-32L he would have really convinced me to go to ISB but was not sure at 35+ Lacs. I wonder what he will have to say if its 40+.
ISB, NUS, NTU Moderator
G
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 04 Nov 2018, 21:30
Hi procman
40 lacs mentioned is the total expense for studying at ISB.
Fee for the Co2019 batch is 35 lacs.
5 lacs is the expected amount for other associated expnses!

procman wrote:
GoodGuy wrote:

Co'16 - 27 Lac
Co'17 - 29 Lac

So you mean to say that the salary currently on the portal is last year's and not this year's? If that is the case, there is a lot to worry about. Fee rise by 3 lacs and then added GST is just too much. Will have to start talking with the alumni again and with different questions if net fees comes out to 40+.

I remember speaking to one of the alumni, and he said had the fees been around 30-32L he would have really convinced me to go to ISB but was not sure at 35+ Lacs. I wonder what he will have to say if its 40+.

~R.
If my post was of any help to you, You can thank me in the form of Kudos!!

Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V36
GPA: 3.5

Show Tags

New post 04 Nov 2018, 21:36
The total cost of going to ISB will be Rs 40+ Lakhs for CO 2020. And it is true that the average placement figures are stuck at Rs 18-21 Lakhs for many long years now. The batch size is also increasing and placing such huge numbers every year will need heavy reliance on companies who recruit in bulk (ITes at ISB).

However, I think that one should look at more than just the immediate ROE. The brand will give you a good leap to begin with and then it boils down on how you rise up in your career. This is true for most of the B-Schools. With a lot of Visa issues in the west and the inflexibility the foreign currency education loans, ISB will be a net-gainer and they will use it to the maximum by increasing the fees.

In the short run, your monthly EMI (Rs 40 Lakhs, 9.25%, 10 years) will workout to ~ Rs 50,000. The average take home after ISB will be Rs 1.3L to Rs 1.5L per month. A lot of people coming to ISB must be making Rs 80,000 per month (in-hand). So it is more than just salary for them. ( I wonder if there are any resources on the internet which show the satisfaction levels of ISB alumni 3-5 years after graduating).

The reason I chose to apply only to ISB is geography and cost. If I do not make it to ISB then I would have to sit down and decide if I really want to go to B-Schools abroad for an MBA and also, I will have to push up my GMAT score from 690 to 750 if I want to stand a chance at INSEAD and LBS. Do you guys also have any backup options?

PS: Happy Dhanteras.
:)
Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 04 Nov 2018, 21:55
hardyhyd wrote:
The total cost of going to ISB will be Rs 40+ Lakhs for CO 2020. And it is true that the average placement figures are stuck at Rs 18-21 Lakhs for many long years now. The batch size is also increasing and placing such huge numbers every year will need heavy reliance on companies who recruit in bulk (ITes at ISB).

However, I think that one should look at more than just the immediate ROE. The brand will give you a good leap to begin with and then it boils down on how you rise up in your career. This is true for most of the B-Schools. With a lot of Visa issues in the west and the inflexibility the foreign currency education loans, ISB will be a net-gainer and they will use it to the maximum by increasing the fees.

In the short run, your monthly EMI (Rs 40 Lakhs, 9.25%, 10 years) will workout to ~ Rs 50,000. The average take home after ISB will be Rs 1.3L to Rs 1.5L per month. A lot of people coming to ISB must be making Rs 80,000 per month (in-hand). So it is more than just salary for them. ( I wonder if there are any resources on the internet which show the satisfaction levels of ISB alumni 3-5 years after graduating).

The reason I chose to apply only to ISB is geography and cost. If I do not make it to ISB then I would have to sit down and decide if I really want to go to B-Schools abroad for an MBA and also, I will have to push up my GMAT score from 690 to 750 if I want to stand a chance at INSEAD and LBS. Do you guys also have any backup options?

I understand your point but with ever increasing class size, I have my reservations regarding the brand value. I have mostly spoken to '16, '17 alumni where they have realised the ROI because of comparatively lower fees and seemed content. I doubt if the recent alumni feels the same way since ROI has definitely taken a huge hit. One thing that much older('10 and older) alumni is not happy about is the increasing class size. They feel brand value is diluting.

Having said that one thing that really pays off is the network. Most of the alumni have gotten their dream job 1-2 yrs after graduation purely because of the network. So, it is really upto an individual and his/her current state of career to measure the pros and cons.
Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 04 Nov 2018, 22:51
hardyhyd wrote:

Canadian schools

Intern
Intern
Schools: IESE '21, ISB '20 (S)
GRE 1: Q163 V165
GPA: 2.54

Show Tags

New post 04 Nov 2018, 23:13
Is it a good idea to assume all interview invites for round 1 (with scores already submitted) have been rolled out?

Anyone from UAE?
Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 05 Nov 2018, 02:33
So, the updated page of admission dates says only November 2018 with no specific date for final offer decision. However, the application portal said 15 November from the start. So, I am assuming that there is some change in the result date for sure. Anybody with internal contacts at ISB through current students or adcom can may be shed some light on the tentative date of results.

Below is the page I am talking about.

https://www.isb.edu/pgp/admissions/admission-calendar
Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 05 Nov 2018, 02:35
procman wrote:
So, the updated page of admission dates says only November 2018 with no specific date for final offer decision. However, the application portal said 15 November from the start. So, I am assuming that there is some change in the result date for sure. Anybody with internal contacts at ISB through current students or adcom can may be shed some light on the tentative date of results.

A friend of mine went for an info session yday in Gurgaon. People from ISB confirmed that the R1 result is on 15th November

Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 05 Nov 2018, 02:38
UM1 wrote:
procman wrote:

A friend of mine went for an info session yday in Gurgaon. People from ISB confirmed that the R1 result is on 15th November

Great! I was hoping it does not get delayed anymore.
Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 05 Nov 2018, 02:39
procman wrote:
UM1 wrote:
procman wrote:

Great! I was hoping it does not get delayed anymore.

Ya me too
GMAT Club Bot
Re: ISB 2019 Intake Class of 2020: Calling all applicants &nbs [#permalink] 05 Nov 2018, 02:39

Go to page   Previous    1  ...  23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31   32   33   34    Next  [ 676 posts ] 

ISB 2019 Intake Class of 2020: Calling all applicants

new topic post reply Update application status  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap