It is currently 20 Oct 2017, 22:37

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

ISB Essay + Interview experience ( Admission Offered )

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

2 KUDOS received
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 9 [2], given: 0

Concentration: Technology, Social Entrepreneurship
Schools: ISB '17 (A)
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V35
WE: Web Development (Computer Software)
ISB Essay + Interview experience ( Admission Offered ) [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Dec 2015, 12:20
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Hello,
I feel this is really late and many posts have already been written on this topic, however I would like to give my two cents. Recently I got an admission offer from ISB ( Hyderabad campus ) :-D and I would like to share my experience of writing the essays and appearing in the interview.
Before starting I would like to give a brief overview of my profile. I am a male IT engineer currently employed as a Senior Software Engineer in Samsung Research, Noida. I got a GMAT score of 710 ( quant:50, verbal:35, awa:4.5, ir:7) which I gave earlier this year. Since I wanted to have a post MBA career in India, on the recommendation of many of my friends, relatives and colleagues and based on my own research, I decided to apply in ISB. I hired a consultant specifically for ISB who helped me in my essays. After a lot of deliberations, we decided to go for a personal story in the first essay, a professional one in the second and the third essay was the common goals essay. Arriving at the final draft was very tedious and it took me about one and a half months ( three iterations of write and review ) to complete the draft. My recommendation for the essays would be that you should be clear about the post MBA career goals. Also, its very important to mix things a little i.e. use both personal and professional instances while answering the questions. This will help the AdCom get a more holistic view of your profile and it will also help them fit you somewhere in the classroom. Finally, write from your heart and be as real as possible.
Moving on, after around a month of submission deadline for the first round, I got a mail from the ISB AdCom for a face to face interview which was to be held at Sheraton, Delhi. I was received for the interview by an alumni who was very warm and welcoming. Inside the interview room there were two more alums who were equally courteous and tried to make me comfortable by asking me about my hobbies and other stuff. Soon, things became a little more serious when they started talking questions about my profile and essays. I will list down the questions that I can remember from the interview.
1.) What has been your most difficult accomplishment ? What was the outcome ?
2.) Describe an instance where you have shown leadership quality.
3.) Describe an instance where you have taken an initiative.
4.) Talk about your current roles and responsibilities.
5.) What is your plan for the future ?
Throughout the interview they kept asking cross questions, had in-depth questions about my domain and the projects that I did and finally wrapped up the interview with the customary "Do you have any questions ?" question. Overall, the interview session was very calm and it never went into stress mode. Maybe I was lucky or they were too tired to heat up the session. :-D
My advice for the ISB interview would be that you should be very thorough with your essays and practice beforehand a variety of questions for the interview. The more prepared you are the more confident you will be during the interview and the more genuine your answers will appear. Finally, be cool headed during the interview and don't worry about the result. Believe in hard work because it usually pays off.
So, this was my experience with the ISB essay and interview. If you have any other question please do reply or you can PM me.
Best of luck to second round applicants. Hope to see you in class. :-D

Kudos [?]: 9 [2], given: 0

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 74

GMAT 1: 700 Q48 V37
GPA: 3.26
Reviews Badge
Re: ISB Essay + Interview experience ( Admission Offered ) [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Dec 2015, 15:11
rahul8singh wrote:
Hello,
I feel this is really late and many posts have already been written on this topic, however I would like to give my two cents. Recently I got an admission offer from ISB ( Hyderabad campus ) :-D and I would like to share my experience of writing the essays and appearing in the interview.
Before starting I would like to give a brief overview of my profile. I am a male IT engineer currently employed as a Senior Software Engineer in Samsung Research, Noida. I got a GMAT score of 710 ( quant:50, verbal:35, awa:4.5, ir:7) which I gave earlier this year. Since I wanted to have a post MBA career in India, on the recommendation of many of my friends, relatives and colleagues and based on my own research, I decided to apply in ISB. I hired a consultant specifically for ISB who helped me in my essays. After a lot of deliberations, we decided to go for a personal story in the first essay, a professional one in the second and the third essay was the common goals essay. Arriving at the final draft was very tedious and it took me about one and a half months ( three iterations of write and review ) to complete the draft. My recommendation for the essays would be that you should be clear about the post MBA career goals. Also, its very important to mix things a little i.e. use both personal and professional instances while answering the questions. This will help the AdCom get a more holistic view of your profile and it will also help them fit you somewhere in the classroom. Finally, write from your heart and be as real as possible.
Moving on, after around a month of submission deadline for the first round, I got a mail from the ISB AdCom for a face to face interview which was to be held at Sheraton, Delhi. I was received for the interview by an alumni who was very warm and welcoming. Inside the interview room there were two more alums who were equally courteous and tried to make me comfortable by asking me about my hobbies and other stuff. Soon, things became a little more serious when they started talking questions about my profile and essays. I will list down the questions that I can remember from the interview.
Throughout the interview they kept asking cross questions, had in-depth questions about my domain and the projects that I did and finally wrapped up the interview with the customary "Do you have any questions ?" question. Overall, the interview session was very calm and it never went into stress mode. Maybe I was lucky or they were too tired to heat up the session. :-D
My advice for the ISB interview would be that you should be very thorough with your essays and practice beforehand a variety of questions for the interview. The more prepared you are the more confident you will be during the interview and the more genuine your answers will appear. Finally, be cool headed during the interview and don't worry about the result. Believe in hard work because it usually pays off.
So, this was my experience with the ISB essay and interview. If you have any other question please do reply or you can PM me.

Hey Rahul,

Thanks for posting this. Would you mind elaborating your profile a bit?

Thanks,

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 74

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 39

Show Tags

New post 22 Dec 2015, 21:25
I'm dead against taking professional consultants' help for essays and interviews. It's a money making racket! Do your own research. The journey to a b-school is as important as the experience at a b-school itself.

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 39

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 24 Dec 2015, 01:26
rachitshah wrote:
rahul8singh wrote:
Hello,

Hey Rahul,

Thanks for posting this. Would you mind elaborating your profile a bit?

Thanks,

Hey Rachit,

Thanks.
My full profile :
10th - ICSE - 92% (2006)
12th - CBSE - 88.6% (2008)
B.Tech - NIT Rourkela ( CSE) - 8.14 (2012)
I joined Samsung Research, Delhi in 2012 and have been working here since. I am currently a Senior Software Engineer working in the Web Application domain.
I also co-founded a Non profit enterprise called Meds4all which works with NGOs in the health sector.
So, this is my complete profile. :-D
In case you need any other information please PM me.

Regards,
Rahul Singh

Current Student

Show Tags

New post 24 Dec 2015, 04:28
rishiroadster wrote:
I'm dead against taking professional consultants' help for essays and interviews. It's a money making racket! Do your own research. The journey to a b-school is as important as the experience at a b-school itself.

Hey Rishi,

Yeah you are right, one can make a really good candidature by doing one's own research and I think it will also make one much more informed. However, I feel its a personal choice to hire a consultant or not. I chose one because I didn't have much time after my day job. Furthermore, my own experience with a consultant was that, most of the work for writing essays was done by me and the consultant gave directions and advise which helped me refine my essays. Having said that, I will reiterate that if one has ample time, things can be done on one's own.

Thanks
Rahul Singh

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 51

Concentration: Finance, Marketing
GMAT 1: 700 Q48 V37
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 24 Feb 2016, 11:32
Congrats Rahul, so happy to see your story. All the best :)

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 51

Re: ISB Essay + Interview experience ( Admission Offered )   [#permalink] 24 Feb 2016, 11:32

ISB Essay + Interview experience ( Admission Offered )

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap