Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 12:11 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 12:11

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
VP
VP
Affiliations: MBAkarma
Own Kudos [?]: 213 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.75
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: ISB Profile Evaluation - Tools for B-School Profile Evaluation [#permalink]
Please evaluate my profile for ISB.

10th - 88 %
12th - 82%
BTech Marine Engineering from Tolani Maritime Institute (affiliated to BITS PILANI ) - 8.44

Work experience: 3 years with recent promotion by clearing the Government of India’s exam

Extra curricular :
1. All India Topper for TMISAT
2. Scholarship holder for all semesters
3. Rank of Captain of my college for various cultural activities and maintaining discipline
4. Organising Committee member for the all India level festival
5. Participated in INMUN, Delhi
6. Maersk Line Scholarship for good performance during intern onboard ship.

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 70 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Expert Reply
paridhiprasad wrote:
Hi,

I have completed my B.Tech(CSE) in 2014.

I worked for Hewlett-Packard Enterprise for 3yrs. I am on a career break of 6 months due to some health issues. I am planning to take my GMAT in 15 days.

B.Tech : 80%
12th : 81%
10th : 84%

School :
I have been the president of my school's social club. Wherein, I used to co-ordinate some programs in old-age homes and teach economically weaker students.

College :
- I was again into teaching economically weaker students in a school which was funded by my college.
- I am an active volunteer in Art of living.

Hobbies : Dancing, reading books,
I also take huge interest in reading books about behavioral neurology.

Can you please tell me what should be my target score in GMAT?
Also, will my career break be a problem for me?

Hi paridhiprasad,

While you have not included details of your professional achievements and job responsibilities, we would strongly recommend a score upwards of 710. While the GMAT is very crucial, the essays will be equally crucial. Thus, we recommend that you spend time building up your profile (align with professional clubs and take up voluntary leadership roles at the community level). A higher number of talking points in your profile will help you retain an edge.

Yes, the career break will be noticed and questioned. However, the extent to which it will affect your chances depends on how well you explain this gap :)

Hope this helps.

All the best!
VP
VP
Send PM
Hello Prashant13

1. Acads- look good but you have not mentioned your expected GMAT scores. A lot could be judged based on that.
2. Diversity- Certainly an edge due to your background, however will depend on what you write in your application/essays.
3. Work Ex- Not enough info to judge. What company? What Role? What are your key achievements? ISB will be interested to know your story.
4. Clarity of Goals- This is the most critical part of your application my friend. And this is missing. Why do you want to do an MBA? Why ISB? This will make or break it.
5. Extracurricular- It is an interesting list, but more curious to know what have you done/achieved in these?

ISB will look at all of the above five points holistically and not in isolation. If the combined might is strong, they will admit you. Since information is missing above, it is difficult to pass a judgement.
You could visit here for a Detailed Profile Assessment
All the best

Prashant13 wrote:

10th - 88 %
12th - 82%
BTech Marine Engineering from Tolani Maritime Institute (affiliated to BITS PILANI ) - 8.44

Work experience: 3 years with recent promotion by clearing the Government of India’s exam

Extra curricular :
1. All India Topper for TMISAT
2. Scholarship holder for all semesters
3. Rank of Captain of my college for various cultural activities and maintaining discipline
4. Organising Committee member for the all India level festival
5. Participated in INMUN, Delhi
6. Maersk Line Scholarship for good performance during intern onboard ship.

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hi Ishwar,

We understand your concern about the "roadblocks" you mentioned. While your academic profile looks robust from whatever little information you have shared till now, a high GMAT score is always helpful in strengthening your chances and overturning the lack of stellar academics. Hence, you should focus on scoring above the class average i.e. in the range of 710-730. A score in this range will surely boost the success chances of your application being shortlisted for the interview round.

Secondly, while a gap of 3 years is a mighty difficult task to justify, we would like to hear more about what led to the unexpected gap in your past. Kindly note that if explained in the most suitable way, the gap can actually add a "diversity" element to your profile. For e.g., one of the ISB students, who eventually went on to secure the highest domestic placement package at ISB, too had significant gaps in his profile. The student attributed those gaps to trying his/her hand at acting and theater, something that the student is still passionate about. In effect, the student presented the gap in a manner that piqued the interest of the Admissions Committee and they invited the student for an interview round to learn more. Subsequently, he cleared the interview round and turned out to be one of the most promising performers at ISB.

Point being, there are no hindrances or "roadblocks" in your application; they are there only in your mind. We at Blue Wing are a team of ISB graduates. We would love to work with you on your application. Do not treat this as a business pitch. Just get in touch with us through a Direct Message (DM). We will have two ISB alums conduct a profile evaluation for you, all charges waived off.

Regards,

Team Blue Wing
MBA Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 1036 [0]
Given Kudos: 63
Schools: ISB (A)
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi,

ISB assesses each applicant holistically. Significant weightage is placed on the following:

- Profile: This includes your educational background, the quality and tenure of your work experience, and your participation in extracurricular activities.

A preliminary evaluation of your academic profile points towards average academics. A strong GMAT score and spikes in other components of your application are required to boost your chances at ISB. Your extra-curricular activities too seem standard at best. A few initiatives that you undertake right now can be reflected in your application by the time you are required to apply. Your work experience is the highlight of your profile, and it should be showcased in the best possible manner.

- Application: This includes your essays and Letter of recommendation (LoR). Your essays will compose of answers to two crucial questions that ISB asks as a part of their application. Along with the essays, an LoR will be sought from your supervisors at work

Essays are a crucial aspect of an ISB application. You are expected to be succinct while justifying the need for an MBA at this stage of your life. As long as you are able to create a compelling story that justifies an MBA from ISB as a means of transition from your short term goals to medium term and long term goals, you should not face any challenges in this regard. You should also be confident of your unique contributions to the class, and highlight the same in your application. You have a wide ambit of experience of working in the start-up ecosystem. Such an experience, especially the takeaways you must have had going through bankruptcy and eventual shut down of your start-up are points that can be leveraged as a unique offering you bring with yourself. You should not face much challenge in regards to the content that should be included in your essays.

- Test Score: Your GMAT/GRE score will be representative of your reasoning and aptitude-related abilities. It can be used to compensate for the lack of stellar academics

Since you have not attempted the GMAT yet, we would suggest you to target a score above the class average. A high GMAT does not only compensate for the lack of stellar academics, it also reflects your ability to cope with the exhaustive curriculum of ISB’s flagship PGP. A score in the range of 710-730 should strengthen your chances for an interview call.

Hope this helps!

Best regards,

Team Strategy4GMAT
Ph: + 91 8008553552 / + 91 7087234600
E: info@strategy4gmat.com
https://www.strategy4gmat.com

Strategy4GMAT - an ISB alumni venture to help you get into your dream B-school
MBA Expert
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi,

ISB assesses each applicant holistically. Significant weightage is placed on the following:

- Profile: This includes your educational background, the quality and tenure of your work experience, and your participation in extracurricular activities.

A preliminary evaluation of your academic profile points towards stellar academics. This will definitely add significant weight to your application. It reflects your ability to cope with the tall demands of ISB’s curriculum. Your professional experience too reflects a healthy time spent in the IT industry. That is definitely a plus as IT and ITES hiring at ISB is significant. The Admissions Committee will certainly feel confident about recruiters expressing strong interest in your profile. However, extra-curricular participation seems to be lacking in your profile. A well-balanced profile will certainly boost your chances of securing an interview call.

- Application: This includes your essays and Letter of recommendation (LoR). Your essays will compose of answers to two crucial questions that ISB asks as a part of their application. Along with the essays, an LoR will be sought from your supervisors at work

Essays are a crucial aspect of an ISB application. You are expected to be succinct while justifying the need for an MBA at this stage of your life. As long as you are able to create a compelling story that justifies an MBA from ISB as a means of transition from your short term goals to medium term and long term goals, you should not face any challenges in this regard. You should also be confident of your unique contributions to the class, and highlight the same in your application. You have a seemingly impressive professional experience which if highlighted well can help you present your essays in the best possible manner.

- Test Score: Your GMAT/GRE score will be representative of your reasoning and aptitude-related abilities. It can be used to compensate for the lack of stellar academics

Since you have not attempted the GMAT yet, we would suggest you to target a score around the class average. A high GMAT corroborates your history of stellar academics; it also reflects your ability to cope with the exhaustive curriculum of ISB’s flagship PGP. A score in the range of 700-730 should strengthen your chances for an interview call, and eventual conversion of the interview round.

Hope this helps!
MBA Expert
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi,

As per the information shared, your academic profile appears to be robust and should not pose as a challenge. In regards to your professional experience, the special nature of the industry in which you have worked presents you an opportunity to highlight yourself as a professional who has worked in a niche and highly regulated industry. Moreover, the nature of your assignments, responsibilities and milestones achieved at work will certainly slot you right at the top of the “professionally diverse” category. The school and student community could benefit from your insights and perspectives regarding the Dept. of Atomic Energy. Highlight the same, and you stand a strong chance of securing an interview call. The extra-curricular activities component of your application would require a bit more polishing. It would help to include any competitions and performances that you have participated in as a result of pursuing your hobbies. Again, these are minor tweaks that can be taken care of easily.

Essays are a crucial aspect of an ISB application. You are expected to be succinct while justifying the need for an MBA at this stage of your life. As long as you are able to create a compelling story that justifies an MBA from ISB as a means of transition from your short term goals to medium term and long term goals, you should not face any challenges in this regard. You should also be confident of your unique contributions to the class, and highlight the same in your application. You have a seemingly impressive professional experience which if highlighted well can help you present your essays in the best possible manner.

Your GMAT score of 710 is right at the average GMAT score mark of ISB. In our opinion, it would serve you well to focus your efforts towards building strong essays and designing a convincing story about your journey so far. While you have a strong GMAT score, your advantage lays in the nature of your work experience and we would suggest you to not re-take the GMAT.

Hope this helps!
MBA Expert
Send PM
Expert Reply
nomoneynoMBA wrote:
Hello,
Please do evaluate my profile for ISB (2019/2020 intake).

- Xth - 9.8 GPA, XII - 473/500

- Graduated from one of India's top 10 engg colleges 0n 2017. (Unfortunately, had 3 backlogs, which I cleared in my 6th semester and have a CGPA of 7.01).

- Started up in college and won many awards including the Google Startup Weekend, our startup was also incubated in our college's own incubator. We received recognition from the Entrepreneurs Development Institute which comes under the State Government of Tamil Nadu.

- Headed my college's entrepreneurship cell and also founded and organised a massive entrepreneurship festival (3000+ footfall).

- Part of AIESEC.

- After college, jumped full time into my startup but later shut down due to marketing failure and loss of money. [Startup from Jan 2016 to August 2017, but only 4 months post graduation]

- Joined Uber Eats and worked for 3 months there.

- Now and tentatively till joining ISB - working as an Engineer in Oil and Gas Sector in gulf country.

Aiming for a GMAT of 700+, unfortunately in my first mock I got 560.

Considering my short work experience till March 31,2019 and my backlogs what are the chances of me becoming an ISB student?

Posted secretly from my office

Hi,

As per the information shared, your academic profile appears to be robust and should not pose as a challenge. The backlogs you mentioned about should be a bit of a hiccup but if explained reasonably (handling the start-up simultaneously etc.), the Admissions Committee will take cognizance of it. In regards to your professional experience, the time spent on your start-up, especially the failure of it, would have certainly been a great learning experience for you. Highlight the same in your applications. Moreover, being a part of the Oil & Gas Sector is a definite plus for your profile. It would have been better had you mentioned whether your job is on-shore or off-shore. Please note, these subtle differences make a big impact on your application. Your extra-curricular participation seems strong and is definitely one of your profile’s key strengths. Highlight the same in the best possible way to shape your application in the most balanced and well-rounded manner.

Essays are a crucial aspect of an ISB application. You are expected to be succinct while justifying the need for an MBA at this stage of your life. As long as you are able to create a compelling story that justifies an MBA from ISB as a means of transition from your short term goals to medium term and long term goals, you should not face any challenges in this regard. You should also be confident of your unique contributions to the class, and highlight the same in your application. You have a seemingly impressive professional experience which if highlighted well can help you present your essays in the best possible manner. Moreover, your extra-curricular activities and your international professional experience are sources of “diversity” factor that ISB enthusiastically looks for in its students. Leverage these two strengths through your essays and portray them as your unique offerings or contributions to the class.

In our opinion, you should aim for a higher score. The reason being a lackluster performance in your graduation. The purpose of evaluation one’s academic credentials and GMAT/GRE score is to gauge whether you have the ability to cope with the demanding curriculum of ISB’s flagship PGP. Since your graduation score leaves much to desire for, a strong performance in GMAT will certainly compensate for the same and boost your chances. Target a score above the class average (~710). A score in the range of 710-730 should be beneficial for you.

Hope this helps!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Hi, please evaluate my profile for ISB class 2019.

Gender- Female

My grades:

X - 82.4% (C.B.S.E)
XII - 71% (C.B.S.E)
B.Tech - 70%
M.Tech - 77%

By March 2019 , I will have 5 years of experience in Energy Efficiency and Sustainability Sector.

Average Extra Curriculars

Presently preparing for GMAT and planning to take GMAT by first week of September.

Target score 720+

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM

Gender- Female

My grades:

X - 82.4% (C.B.S.E)
XII - 71% (C.B.S.E)
B.Tech - 70%
M.Tech - 77%

By March 2019 , I will have 5 years of experience in Energy Efficiency and Sustainability Sector.

Presently preparing for GMAT and planning to take GMAT by first week of September.

Target score 720+

Thanks in advance.

CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 575 [0]
Given Kudos: 156
Send PM
Expert Reply
emarkgmat wrote:

Gender- Female

My grades:

X - 82.4% (C.B.S.E)
XII - 71% (C.B.S.E)
B.Tech - 70%
M.Tech - 77%

Target score 720+

Thanks in advance.

Please give more details about your yourself, specifically about your work experience- your roles, jobs changed, ca.reer growth, job achievements.
Average extra curriculars does not explain anything.

where did you go for engineering? what subject? what was your position in class?
VP
VP
Send PM
Hello emarkgmat

Unfortunately this info is way too limited to give any feedback. ISB will be interested to know your profile holistically. That means they will look at-
1. Academics (past scores+GMAT)
2. Work Ex (Achievements and Career Progress)
3. Clarity of Goals (Why MBA? Why ISB?)
4. Diversity (what unique perspective will you bring to the class?)

A combination of the above will help to judge your chances better.
All the best.

Varun Sharma
Free Profile Review
Website
Blog
Quora
LinkedIn

emarkgmat wrote:

Gender- Female

My grades:

X - 82.4% (C.B.S.E)
XII - 71% (C.B.S.E)
B.Tech - 70%
M.Tech - 77%

Target score 720+

Thanks in advance.

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [0]
Given Kudos: 48
GMAT 1: 670 Q47 V35
GPA: 3.4
Send PM
emarkgmat wrote:

Gender- Female

My grades:

X - 82.4% (C.B.S.E)
XII - 71% (C.B.S.E)
B.Tech - 70%
M.Tech - 77%

Target score 720+

Thanks in advance.

If you can get that GMAT score and do a decent job with your essays, I see no reason why you won't get a call. Even though MBA admissions can sometimes be extremely random and they're a function of many factors, I do think you should get a call at least with those statistics.

Happy to help if you have more questions.

Best,
S
Senior PS Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 5206 [0]
Given Kudos: 47
GPA: 3.12
Send PM
emarkgmat wrote:

Gender- Female

My grades:

X - 82.4% (C.B.S.E)
XII - 71% (C.B.S.E)
B.Tech - 70%
M.Tech - 77%

Target score 720+

Thanks in advance.

Hey emarkgmat

Please post your profile evaluation requests on the specific threads created for this

PFB the thread for ISB Profile Evaluation
https://gmatclub.com/forum/profile-eval ... 10934.html

Hope this helps you!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Send PM
Hello guys..i completed my graduation in 2015 from panjab university with 56% and completed my ACCA(UK) this january with an internship in SME for 3 years..i have also done CMA (USA) course and just left with the strategic level case study of CIMA (UK)....now working full time in a manufacturing concern as finance and accounts associate..if i get a gmat score of 700+ what are my chances of getting in the early entry option

Posted from my mobile device
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 575 [0]
Given Kudos: 156
Send PM
Expert Reply
ssaini903 wrote:
Hello guys..i completed my graduation in 2015 from panjab university with 56% and completed my ACCA(UK) this january with an internship in SME for 3 years..i have also done CMA (USA) course and just left with the strategic level case study of CIMA (UK)....now working full time in a manufacturing concern as finance and accounts associate..if i get a gmat score of 700+ what are my chances of getting in the early entry option

Posted from my mobile device

What are your work-related achievements and impact? Certifications are an enabler in doing a job better. While they add some value to your profile, the adcom would like to understand how you have applied your learning through the certifications in doing your job better than others around you.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
WE:Business Development (Entertainment and Sports)
Send PM
Hi,

Grades:

X: 92% (State Board, 49th Rank)
XII: 78.6% (State Board)
B.Tech: 61.6% (NIT)

Work Exp. 4 years. Business Development in a Film Production Start-up. Responsibilities included Client negotiation, Client handling, Team management, end-to-end management of various video production activities, Delivering finished product to the client within tight deadlines etc.

Target GMAT score: 720+
Extra Curricular: Above average.

Please tell me whether my profile is good enough for ISB. I am particularly worried about my Grad score.
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  79   80   81   82   83  ...  307