Last visit was: 29 Apr 2024, 06:22 It is currently 29 Apr 2024, 06:22

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1586 [0]
Given Kudos: 33
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V48
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 507 [0]
Given Kudos: 68
Concentration: Nonprofit, Social Entrepreneurship
WE:Education (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
CEO
CEO
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: ISB Profile Evaluation - Tools for B-School Profile Evaluation [#permalink]
Hi,

I am a professional with 7.5 Yrs of Work Exp in Engineering Industry.
X - 76.14%
XII - 61.69%
B.Tech. - NIT Surat - 6.69 GPA (2.7/4)
GMAT - 640

Please assist which colleges I can apply to. I'll prefer studying in India or Singapore.
MBA Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 1036 [0]
Given Kudos: 63
Schools: ISB (A)
Send PM
Expert Reply
Woody2Hoot wrote:
Hi,

X - 76.14%
XII - 61.69%
GMAT - 640

Please assist which colleges I can apply to. I'll prefer studying in India or Singapore.

Your lower than average GMAT score can be compensated by the higher than avg work-ex. Most importantly, bring out the impact / achievements in your work which will be a deal maker in your case. Some extra curriculars during school / college will also add to your story. Hence, communicate a compelling story to the admissions committee. The colleges you should look at are: India - ISB, One year programs at top IIMs (A, B, C, L, I etc.), and Great Lakes. You may look at NUS and Nanyang in Singapore but they would prefer a higher GMAT score.

Regards,
Abhishek
ISB alumnus & Co-Founder, Strategy4GMAT.
Ph: +91 7087234600 | E: abhishek.chawla@strategy4gmat.com
www.strategy4gmat.com
CEO
CEO
Send PM
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
Woody2Hoot wrote:
Hi,

X - 76.14%
XII - 61.69%
GMAT - 640

Hi Woody2Hoot

Please provide more information on your ECA/leadership instances to enable an evaluation.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 60 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Woody2Hoot wrote:
Hi,

X - 76.14%
XII - 61.69%
GMAT - 640

Hi Woody2Hoot,

With 7.5 years in the industry, we are sure we would be able to find a lot of leadership experiences that will help you put up a great application story. The NIT brand definitely adds credibility, but we feel we need to know more to really give you a fair evaluation. With a score of 640, things do get a little difficult, though not impossible, and a stellar application can still give you chances.

The question of which colleges you should apply to is answered best by mapping the school's ability to provide you a clear path to your careers. Why don't you have a look at our Free B school shortlisting: https://www.apphelp.co.in/Bschool-selection.htm and we can help you shortlist schools according to your profile. You can also decide if you need to retake your GMAT, once you have a clearer ideas of your target B-schools.

Do reach out in case of more queries.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 29 [0]
Given Kudos: 164
Concentration: General Management, Economics
WE:Corporate Finance (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
Hello ,
Please help me evaluate my profile for Fall 2018 applications.

Demographic: 29 years old, male, Indian

Academic background:
B.Commerce: 54.4% (Calcutta University)
Class 12-75% (ISC)
Class 10-74% (ICSE)
First GMAT 660. Aiming to break 700 plus.( I know i can as i had calls from few reputed Management institutes from India which i did not join.)
Work Experience: 5 +years (as of May 2017)

Working with SBI
Worked in Credit for 2 years ,then in Domestic Treasury as a Equity Dealer for 2 years and now looking after Forex Treasury.

Extra-curricular:
Swimming,Ultra Long Distance Cycling and Play Synthesizer and Grand Acoustic Piano. Does'nt have huge certificates but few here and there can be found.

Future goal: To get into Management side of a Bank Treasury / Work in private equity

Please suggest me some B schools in US ,Europe and Target Score which i should aim .

Thanks in advance
CEO
CEO
Send PM
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
guhabhishek wrote:
Hello ,

Academic background:
Class 12-75% (ISC)
Class 10-74% (ICSE)
First GMAT 660. Aiming to break 700 plus.( I know i can as i had calls from few reputed Management institutes from India which i did not join.)

Working with SBI
Worked in Credit for 2 years ,then in Domestic Treasury as a Equity Dealer for 2 years and now looking after Forex Treasury.

Extra-curricular:
Swimming,Ultra Long Distance Cycling and Play Synthesizer and Grand Acoustic Piano. Does'nt have huge certificates but few here and there can be found.

Future goal: To get into Management side of a Bank Treasury / Work in private equity

Please suggest me some B schools in US ,Europe and Target Score which i should aim .

Thanks in advance

Hi Abhishek

- Your work experience is quite rich. SBI is of course a very well-known employer. That should put you in an excellent position in terms of diversity, background, and experience for ISB. Not many people out there who get Treasury roles without an MBA/CA so kudos for doing that.
- That said, your undergrad academic performance was low, and your GMAT at 660 does not help. That is something you seem to be fixing already, though. If you can scale the 700 mark, you should be in good stead there. This is for ISB. If aiming for top US/Europe options, you are looking at a minimum of 720, and of course the higher the better beyond that.
- Your ECA are more personal than team-driven; you are not outstanding on this aspect but what you have should be good enough to get by.
- Getting into PE won't be easy given your work experience so far (not directly aligned, though in the right direction), and ISB as well as European schools aren't really doing well in terms of PE placements right now. The US is your best bet if these are your goals.
- The lack of experience in markets outside India will also be a factor as you apply to top international schools.

As this is a forum for ISB, not getting into specific European/US school options. You can contact us directly for a broader discussion on that. You can also post on the following forum, which is meant for discussions on international schools: https://gmatclub.com/forum/ask-admissio ... tants-124/

Hope this helps. Feel free to come back with more queries as needed.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Expert Reply
guhabhishek wrote:
Hello ,

Academic background:
Class 12-75% (ISC)
Class 10-74% (ICSE)

Working with SBI

Extra-curricular:

Thanks in advance

Hi Abhishek,

We think you've got an intriguing profile, with the right number of work experience and a brand like SBI. Experience in finance is definitely coveted at B-schools and you've definitely aced that.
You're absolutely spot on with the GMAT, you definitely need to retake it. In order to make it to any of the top B-schools, you should aim for a 720-730.
A background like yours while competitive, would also need to focus on the following aspects:
1. Make sure you highlight leadership and teamwork related strengths, which explicitly show non-finance and qualitative strengths. Candidates with a finance background, often make this critical mistake.
2. Showcase a well-rounded personality, with strong extracurriculars. With a background like yours, it becomes extremely important to display what you do beyond work.
3. Get more clarity on long-term goals. Getting into PE from a B-school is definitely difficult, though not impossible. We recommend you talk to alumni who are in roles that are coveted by you and understand what helped them reach there.

We'd like to know your profile a little better in order to help you short-list schools for your application. Why don't you try our B-school selector here?

Feel free to reach out in case of more queries.
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
------------

Originally posted by bd07 on 13 May 2017, 21:48.
Last edited by bd07 on 15 May 2017, 21:46, edited 1 time in total.
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1586 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
bd07 wrote:
Hi guys,

This may seem too early on, but I plan to apply by 2020... so it would be nice if I got some feedback in order to work on a few things before my application process.
Anyways, here's my profile...

- Female, Asian
- Born and raised in the Philippines (but I have dual citizenship with the US)
- Currently 21, but will be 24 years old when I apply
- 3.2 GPA (from a top 1-2 university in the PH) - around this range when I graduate as well (started out weak freshman year, but with a significant upward trend)
- Major in Management Economics, Minor in Finance
- Have international study-abroad experiences (one in Berlin where I studied the German Language and Culture), and I'll be completing another one this summer in London (LSE) where I'll be studying on the Global Economy and Financial Markets
- Internship this summer is with the Central Bank of the Philippines (where I'll be working in the Centre of Monetary and Financial Policy)
- Extra-curriculars: Founded a Filipino grilled food business and will be opening it in my university for 1 year this August - (Senior Year), Worked 1 year as a teacher in financial literacy in a poverty-stricken community every Saturday (sophomore year in college), Worked as an ambassador of a cosmetics company in the PH wherein I gave personality talks to teenage girls in a fishing community (freshman year); also part of other college organizations
- Will be taking the GMAT after college (will aim for a 720+)
- After college, I plan to work more on teaching financial literacy on the weekends to communities in the Philippines
- Looking also into a full-time job in the Philippine Stock Exchange, Citi, Department of Finance, Asian Development Bank, or anything in that field. (Will have 2 years full-time experience when I apply)
- Other fun details - Love travelling, mountain climbing, and is also a sports enthusiast

So, this is what I have so far, and knowing how competitive B-school applications can get, I'm looking to improving some aspects of my profile in the next 3 years.
Interested in HBS, Columbia, Fuqua, LSB, Yale, Wharton, Kellogg, Tuck, Sloan, Mendoza, and McDonough
Any feedback or comments will be very much appreciated.

Thanks for your time.

Hi

Quick question - are you planning to target only the full-time MBA programs through the regular route for the schools you mention, or are you looking at early career options as well (e.g. HBS 2+2+, Yale Silver Scholars)?
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Hi all,

Last year I completed a course in business studies from dcu. For the past year I have been working and was wondering my chances of being accepted into these schools these are not in order of preference lse, lbs, ucl, imperial, Warwick, bocconi, Stockholm and Copenhagen. I am open to suggestions of colleges I may have missed or should consider applying to the main purpose of my thread is to find out my chances of being accepted into any of these colleges or please tell me the ones you don't think I will not get into. Thank you in advance

My profile is as follows 2.1 in degree
680 GMAT
3 internships 1 at a top tier bank
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1586 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
Zak456 wrote:
Hi all,

Last year I completed a course in business studies from dcu. For the past year I have been working and was wondering my chances of being accepted into these schools these are not in order of preference lse, lbs, ucl, imperial, Warwick, bocconi, Stockholm and Copenhagen. I am open to suggestions of colleges I may have missed or should consider applying to the main purpose of my thread is to find out my chances of being accepted into any of these colleges or please tell me the ones you don't think I will not get into. Thank you in advance

680 GMAT

Hi

Please provide more details on your work experience, key achievements, and ECA. Also, what program are you looking at? You mention LSE in your school list, but it does not offer an MBA. At your experience level, you seem to be a better fit with MSc/MiM programs.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I did a one month internship at jp Morgan and aother not banking but one of the largest media companies in the world. I am currently doing research in what I will master in but I am leaning towards finance also have worked 3 months summer in Deloitte
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I want to work as high up in a hedge fund as possible sorry for not including this at the start
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Any other info I should add I think that is it
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
--

Originally posted by bd07 on 14 May 2017, 16:15.
Last edited by bd07 on 15 May 2017, 21:59, edited 1 time in total.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Expert Reply
Zak456 wrote:
Hi all,

680 GMAT

Hi Zak456,

From what we gather, you seem to have a good professional profile. With internships at JP Morgan and Deloitte, you should be able to showcase a rich learning curve. You haven't mentioned your total work experience, but our guess is you are targeting the MiM course or MBA schools which accept candidates at the lower end of work experience.
The current GMAT score and GPA are on the lower side for an MBA from top B-schools, but with a good application you should be able to get through the MiM courses. We need a little more information on your Extracurriculars to help you come up with a detailed profile evaluation.
On the goals front, we think that getting into a hedge fund is difficult and you would need to explain clearly the trajectory that has made you covet this goal. For further help, we recommend you try our free B-school selector here which will help you decide your target B-schools better.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 48 [0]
Given Kudos: 39
Send PM
Hi,

Please find my short version of CV below.

Academic qualification:
- 10th CBSE : 86%
- 12th: 93%
- B.E. (ECE): 82.5 (Class 2nd)
- M.S (Work integrated stuff) 3.6 CGPA

Experience: 14 years of experience in embedded software development from enigneer to project lead to Manager in a private limited company

Language proficiency: English, Tamil, Hindhi (basic) and Japanese (Basic)

I am 36 years old, thinking to enhance my leader ship and entrepreneurial skills by doing MBA but I am skeptical whether pursuing MBA at this age is worth it.
To be honest I dont have much experience in voluntary work as well.

At this point my idea is to do GMAT and get good score (more than 700) and decide everything later.. Is this a right approach ?
I am always deliberiating whether to spend 3 months time in GMAT preparation and then do absolutely nothing after that ..... I have a kid and given my work schedule, 3 months of time for GMAT is very precious which i dont want to waste it. If the prospects for me to do MBA is good then I would like to do it.
Is there a scope for getting scholarship for me after getting good GMAT score? By the way I recently moved to UK, will this be of any help in getting scholarship?

Thanks, hope to hear from you people.
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  31   32   33   34   35  ...  307