Last visit was: 29 Apr 2024, 02:41 It is currently 29 Apr 2024, 02:41

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1586 [0]
Given Kudos: 33
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V48
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V35
GPA: 3.65
WE:Sales (Internet and New Media)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 45 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
GPA: 2.61
Send PM
CEO
CEO
Send PM
Re: ISB Profile Evaluation - Tools for B-School Profile Evaluation [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
soumitsaha wrote:
Hello GyanOne,

I would like to have my profile evaluated. I will be applying this year to start Bschool in July 2018 onwards. I am targetting only the top 3-4 US Bschools however, your assessment will evaluate the reality. I am open to other suggestions as well that may seem relevant.

I have a personal desire to go to Stanford and get Silicon Valley & Bay Area exposure.

Education -

1. BITS Pilani Mechanical Engg , graduated in 2012 with 9.13/10 CGPA and top 5 of Class. Extra Curriculars Include - Leadership Positions in Two Clubs, Founding in one with high yoy growth to show (2010-11). Merit Scholarship in College awarded for excellence in academics (2009), Tedx Speaker, High quality extracurricular internships spanning - Journalism, photography work with magazines and brands) .
2. Awarded full Scholarship to study at The Young India Fellowship's second Batch from 2012-13 [ 1 year course on Leadership and Liberal Arts ] - Alumns from this program have now reached Stanford, HBS, Wharton, Kellog, Tuck , ISB. Graduated with a 3.14/4 CGPA. Interned with a startup - Chai Point, worked on Film making on a national Non profit backed by the Gandhi family, mess secretary, and of course - Studied from the Best global professors (from Harvard, Upenn, IIMS, ex-Govt stalwardts) in diverse subjects like literature, history, politics, leadership, business, economics, group psychology.

Work Experience:

1. Company X (India's 4th largest Pharmaceutical company by mkt cap), Supply Chain Transformation , India Business - in Mumbai - Reporting directly to Industry Veteran and head of Supply Chain. This profile was meant for an MBA + 3 Years of Work ex, but landed with me so got grinded a lot personally and professionally. Reformed the supply chain end to end (procurement, distribution, waehousing, and marketing) for a 4000 Crore business working with outside consultants and all company stakeholders right from factory worker to Founder of Cipla (including CEOs, HODs, Directors, middle management - everyone!!.) Note: This wasnt like the many shadowy kind of roles reporting to senior leadership, I was given a lot of power and lot of responsibilities to track progress and show outcome for all consulting initiatives. I visited factories and warehouses countrywide to implement the Project. All brainstorming and software development was led by a core team of 5 - My boss, me and 3 consultants. This went on for 1.5 years after which I moved on to New Product Project Management Office - Where I spent 6 months overhauling the processes behind the launch of a new drug by the company. This involved over 15 departments, over 200 stakeholders across these and 200 detailed steps - everything from Drug launch govt applications, to R&D to procurement. My boss was a senior ex-Mckinsey recruit into the firm. I got groomed under here. Grooming has been solid and harcore under first the Industry Veteran (63 years old) and then under the new boss.

2. Left the corporate life in 2015 April to start my small canteen inside Ashoka University (now the parent body of the Young India Fellowship). I started from scratch with my own savings and in 2 years, I have triples daily revenues and monthly profits. We have also now become a full size takeaway outlet from an earlier garden cafe format. The menu offered has grown 6 times. I am everything from Head Chef to Head Janitor. I have managed over 20 blue collared rural haryana staff (very tough demographic to hire and get work done form) in this time and employee retention has been the biggest challenge. All in all - solid grinding for past two years sitting in semi rural Haryana for me across functions.

3. In Jan 2017, I launched Letsdinodotcom, an Airbnb for Food startup aiming to explode the concept of Social Dining and experiences in India. We've held over 30 events in 3 Months and continue to work on product market fit as of today. I co founded it with my BITS junior (ex-microsoft). Selected as Entrepreneur - in -residence at Ashoka University. We are based out of Delhi.

Why MBA - I've realized the skill and knowledge gaps along with the environment gap that I need to thrive and move ahead in life. I want to be studying and living amidst the best in the world for my own upliftment. The network and the brand stamp matters a lot to capitalize on in my future entrepreneurial initiatives. A lot of strategy,marketing, finance and operations knowledge on top of all this from the best schools in the world will be an added bonus. I am not too keen on a US high paying or consulting type job. I am an entrepreneur at heart for now. I also love to study and huge apprecitae good faculty. It's that time in my life when I feel I want to study again a bit.

Other Info
1. GMAT - I am prepping, its on 27 July
2. No International Work Experience
3. Need help on recommenders for my restaurant and startup stint yet. For Pre-restaurant can get recos form both bosses, college professors, internship bosses, mentors etc.
4. Current Age - 26

Hi Soumit

Thanks for posting.

- First of all, can see a pretty good profile there. Congratulations on all the hard work that must have gone into getting to this point.
- Now, you are aiming for the best schools in the world, so the next steps must be well executed too. A GMAT score of 740 and above is definitely what you need (of course the higher the better). Given that you have ~2.5 months, that should certainly be possible.
- The lack of international experience is a slight downer, but here's the good news. You can certainly make up for it with excellent applications that highlight clear career goals, and show your passion for an MBA (will cover this bit a little later in this response), but this is going to take a lot of hard work and deep thought. Looking back at top applicants (former clients) who succeeded at the global top 5/10 schools without international experience, or highly visible corporate experience, it is the quality of their stories and their impact that stood out. Period.
- Your work in X in building up the supply chain seems excellent. Team leadership roles in such roles is always a bit hazy and difficult to establish, but the process design and implementation part really counts. The credentials of your boss etc and that this was an MBA role is of little value (though it helps in the evaluation, so great that you included it)
- The startups seem great, but as of now they are in an initial phase. Not sure about the extent of operations/profits (the former is more important), but a key question to be answered may be that given you are an entrepreneur at heart and in practice, why not devote full time attention to these initiatives?
- The Why MBA part seems good in spirit but it will need a lot more detail. Entrepreneurship can be a double edged sword when applying for B-school.
- Finally, the school selection part will need further thought. This space/forum is restricted to ISB so not getting too much into the depth of that. You can contact us directly (see the signature below) if needed.

Hope this helps. Feel free to come back with more queries as needed.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 60 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Pillarsofcreation wrote:
Hi all,

Thank you so much for taking out the time to evaluate my profile. I am applying to schools in R1 this cycle. My credentials are:

Nationality : Indian

Academics :
Xth - 83%
XIIth - 87%
Graduation : Chemical engineer from IIT Delhi (Consistently ranked among the top 2 engineering universities in India)
CGPA - 6.5/10

GMAT - 700 - bad experience (Not sure if I should take the GMAT again)

Work experience :

Total 62 months (in chronological order)

* 1 year 8 months as a Proprietary trader at one of the largest prop trading firms in India. Not very famous outside India though.
* 2 years 2 months as cofounder of an educational startup that grew to 60,000 monthly users. Did not not raise venture funding. The startup has been closed.
* 1 year 4 months as a Product Manager at one of India's fastest growing ecommerce startup - Series C funded (more than $50 million in bank)
* Managing director of family investment firm for the past 6 months. This is part-time so don't really know how much it counts.

Extra Curriculars :

* Director of a family run Non Profit organisation that is working towards the prevention and eradication of Encephalitis. It's a small organisation currently and work has been limited to 3 districts in India.
* Captain of hostel soccer team.

International Exposure:

3 months as an International Research scholar at the University of California, Santa Barbara.
1 month in China (Shenzhen) setting up a Warehouse for the startup I currently work for (the first Indian startup to accomplish this)

Activities & Interest:

* Traveling : Have traveled to more than 10 countries. Into exploring cultures and understanding the values and traditions of people living in different parts of our beautiful planet.
* Soccer.
* Meditation

Post MBA goal - Venture capital Investment professional at a VC where I can learn valuable skills I am currently lacking, and which along with the lessons from my previous startup and my role as a product manager enable me to create an organisation in future which significantly improves the lives of people involved.

5-7 year goal : Disrupting education/ finance by building a technology organisation that creates value for people around the world. My previous startup was into the education sector and I've also worked in the financial services industry as a prop trader. My recent stint as a Product manager has provided me relevant experience of crating path-breaking products which complement my former skills well.

My target schools are - Berkeley, UCLA, Columbia and INSEAD

My main considerations are - Location (Silicon Valley) and placement in VC firms. I'm a re-applicant to Berkeley, UCLA and Columbia

I would love to know your view on my profile, preferably the weaker points and things that can be done to mitigate the weakness in my profile.

Again, thank you for doing this.

Hi pillarsofcreation,

You have an interesting profile. An IIT background and an entrepreneurship stint definitely adds value to your profile. Working with a start-up further accentuates your exposure to the start-up world.

Firstly, on academics, we think that both your GPA and GMAT are on the lower side. You mentioned a bad experience with the GMAT. How were you doing on the practice tests? Have you thought about taking the GMAT again? Since you have some time before applications begin, why not give GMAT another shot?

We're curious about the choice of B-schools. What made you shortlist these three? You also mentioned that you're a re-applicant, did you write to the ad-com asking for feedback. For re-applicants, it also becomes important to showcase qualities or achievements that did not exist the last time they applied. In other words, how have you improved your profile since your last application?

Have you considered applying to other B-schools? We recommend having a look at our tool which can guide you to other B-schools and help you achieve your short-term goals of placement in VC firms.

Feel free to reach out in case of any queries.
CEO
CEO
Send PM
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
Pillarsofcreation wrote:
Hi all,

Thank you so much for taking out the time to evaluate my profile. I am applying to schools in R1 this cycle. My credentials are:

Nationality : Indian

Academics :
Xth - 83%
XIIth - 87%
Graduation : Chemical engineer from IIT Delhi (Consistently ranked among the top 2 engineering universities in India)
CGPA - 6.5/10

GMAT - 700 - bad experience (Not sure if I should take the GMAT again)

Work experience :

Total 62 months (in chronological order)

* 1 year 8 months as a Proprietary trader at one of the largest prop trading firms in India. Not very famous outside India though.
* 2 years 2 months as cofounder of an educational startup that grew to 60,000 monthly users. Did not not raise venture funding. The startup has been closed.
* 1 year 4 months as a Product Manager at one of India's fastest growing ecommerce startup - Series C funded (more than $50 million in bank)
* Managing director of family investment firm for the past 6 months. This is part-time so don't really know how much it counts.

Extra Curriculars :

* Director of a family run Non Profit organisation that is working towards the prevention and eradication of Encephalitis. It's a small organisation currently and work has been limited to 3 districts in India.
* Captain of hostel soccer team.

International Exposure:

3 months as an International Research scholar at the University of California, Santa Barbara.
1 month in China (Shenzhen) setting up a Warehouse for the startup I currently work for (the first Indian startup to accomplish this)

Activities & Interest:

* Traveling : Have traveled to more than 10 countries. Into exploring cultures and understanding the values and traditions of people living in different parts of our beautiful planet.
* Soccer.
* Meditation

Post MBA goal - Venture capital Investment professional at a VC where I can learn valuable skills I am currently lacking, and which along with the lessons from my previous startup and my role as a product manager enable me to create an organisation in future which significantly improves the lives of people involved.

5-7 year goal : Disrupting education/ finance by building a technology organisation that creates value for people around the world. My previous startup was into the education sector and I've also worked in the financial services industry as a prop trader. My recent stint as a Product manager has provided me relevant experience of crating path-breaking products which complement my former skills well.

My target schools are - Berkeley, UCLA, Columbia and INSEAD

My main considerations are - Location (Silicon Valley) and placement in VC firms. I'm a re-applicant to Berkeley, UCLA and Columbia

I would love to know your view on my profile, preferably the weaker points and things that can be done to mitigate the weakness in my profile.

Again, thank you for doing this.

Hi

- Your GMAT at 700 may not be enough for the options you are aiming for. Try to go north of 720, also given that your undergrad GPA is a bit low. As a reapplicant as well, you will need to show a significant delta at these schools and a higher GMAT is a must.
- The international experience helps and the startup experience is valuable as well. Your current work profile in your family investment firm requires more information though - what do you do and what is the kind of portfolio you manage?
- ECA and international experience are decent.
- The work history is a bit inconsistent with the goals you are aiming at. Your startup work and passion for tech and education can be seen, but the expertise in terms of seeking a career in VC/PE is a little wanting.
- This is just a basic overview. Can provide more details as we receive information from you.
- Also, as this is a thread primarily for ISB, you should be competitive at ISB with your current stats, provided you can get the goals part clarified more.

Also, this is a thread primarily for discussion on ISB admissions. In case you are looking for international schools, please post on this link:
https://gmatclub.com/forum/ask-admissio ... tants-124/
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 136
Send PM
Dear Guys,

Thanks and Good to see such extending support for evaluating profiles of prospective applicants. I will brief my profile and i have some questions to ask.

My Profile.
10th : 92%
12th : 95.8%
Under Grad : 9.56/10 (CGPA) (Engg. in E&I from Govt Aided College affiliated to Anna University) (Gold Medalist)
Work : Working as Deputy Manager with 8.5 Yrs exp. in Oil & Gas Consultant company (PSU). Am working as Design Engineer with Construction exp. I have short term International Exp. (3 Months).
MBA in Project Management from Sikkim Manipal University (Distance Education- 2013-2015): 74.5%

Extra Curricular Activities:
National Cadet Corps at College Level, attended camp and completed ‘B’ certificate, participated in adventurous and social activities. (at College)
Won MEDAL in Men’s walk in university zonal meets.
General Treasurer for student Association and organized various contests for Department & National technical symposium (at college).
Participated and won Prizes in various Poetry writing contests, National Youth Contest and participated in Youth Red Cross Student Study Camp.(at School and college)
Participated and won prizes in cultural event, and some competitions (at work)

Now Am looking for career change as i have been in Core area of my Engineering for long time (8+ yrs).

Am targeting for EPGP from IIM's or PGP from ISB. (Only Indian B Schools).

Questions

1. What are alternatives/ areas available for my profile post -MBA, as am from Project Management background.
2. I have not done much in Extra curricular activities post Under Grad. (When i see many of the profiles in this forum, i have done nothing).

Am planning to take GMAT in due course.

Thanks
JTR
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
Hey There,

Hit me up with a profile evaluation and let me know if I can make it into MIMs in three French universities HEC Paris, ESSEC and ESCP Europe

Nationality: Indian

10th : 81%
12th :80%

Graduation : B.Com -6.03/10 from Loyola College (Currently​ ranked #2 for B.Com in India)

2 month internship in Nielsen as a Market Survey Analyst.

4 month stint as Business Development Intern at Groupon

7months - (Currently working) at BNP Paribas as an Associate (financial reporting )

I have 2 months of Volunteering experience in a Eccumenical Community in France

Whilst in College I was the commerce forum's President I had extensive involvement in organizing business and industry symposiums, meets and workshops.

On the college debate team for 4 years.

120 hours of documented community work teaching English to children in lesser developed areas of the city

Member of ENACTUS.

BNP Paribas Corporate Social Responsiblity team member.

Languages :
French : B1 (doing B2)
German : A1

I can get LOR's from:

1) AVP of my company
2) My Line Manager

I see most of your evaluations are for experienced MBA aspirants involved. I however have my eyes set on ESSEC'S Masters in Management. I would be very grateful if you could do an evaluation of my profile.

1) What should my GMAT score be ?

2) I realize my grades and scores are average but can I hope I would still have better chances if I worked on my SOP & LORs ?

3) Would taking the GRE instead of the GMAT be advisable ?

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
CEO
CEO
Send PM
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
nikhilroger15 wrote:
Hey There,

Hit me up with a profile evaluation and let me know if I can make it into MIMs in three French universities HEC Paris, ESSEC and ESCP Europe

Graduation : B.Com -6.03/10 from Loyola College (Currently​ ranked #2 for B.Com in India)

7months - (Currently working) at BNP Paribas as an Associate (financial reporting )

Whilst in College I was the commerce forum's President I had extensive involvement in organizing business and industry symposiums, meets and workshops.

120 hours of documented community work teaching English to children in lesser developed areas of the city

Member of ENACTUS.

Languages :

I can get LOR's from:

1) AVP of my company
2) My Line Manager

I see most of your evaluations are for experienced MBA aspirants involved. I however have my eyes set on ESSEC'S Masters in Management. I would be very grateful if you could do an evaluation of my profile.

2) I realize my grades and scores are average but can I hope I would still have better chances if I worked on my SOP & LORs ?

Hi

This is not the right thread for MiM evaluations. Still, offering you some advice and a quick response to your questions to help:
1. For ESCP, even a 630 will do. For ESSEC, you need a 680. For HEC, a 700+ will be needed. Of course you should aim for the highest, but giving you the indicative ranges as well for information.
2. Your X/XII marks are decent. College marks are somewhat low, but that will not be a huge factor if you can get a good GMAT score.
3. Not really. If you are aiming only for these schools, prefer the GMAT over the GRE.

Hope this helps. Feel free to come back with more queries as needed (contact us directly, do not post in this thread as it is only for ISB applicants).
CEO
CEO
Send PM
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
JTR wrote:
Dear Guys,

Thanks and Good to see such extending support for evaluating profiles of prospective applicants. I will brief my profile and i have some questions to ask.

My Profile.
Under Grad : 9.56/10 (CGPA) (Engg. in E&I from Govt Aided College affiliated to Anna University) (Gold Medalist)
Work : Working as Deputy Manager with 8.5 Yrs exp. in Oil & Gas Consultant company (PSU). Am working as Design Engineer with Construction exp. I have short term International Exp. (3 Months).
MBA in Project Management from Sikkim Manipal University (Distance Education- 2013-2015): 74.5%

National Cadet Corps at College Level, attended camp and completed ‘B’ certificate, participated in adventurous and social activities. (at College)
General Treasurer for student Association and organized various contests for Department & National technical symposium (at college).
Participated and won Prizes in various Poetry writing contests, National Youth Contest and participated in Youth Red Cross Student Study Camp.(at School and college)

Now Am looking for career change as i have been in Core area of my Engineering for long time (8+ yrs).

Questions

1. What are alternatives/ areas available for my profile post -MBA, as am from Project Management background.
2. I have not done much in Extra curricular activities post Under Grad. (When i see many of the profiles in this forum, i have done nothing).

Thanks
JTR

Hi

- While your profile is good, you do have more than the median experience. Do not delay applying beyond this year.
- Relevant areas available to you are general management roles, corp strat roles (in your own industry), operations leadership, and consulting
- Lack of ECA post college should not be a huge factor in your case, given your overall ECA, and academic and professional achievements. Not something to worry about.
- At this point, focus on getting a 680+ (and 700+ if possible) on the GMAT.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Expert Reply
JTR wrote:
Dear Guys,

My Profile.

Questions

Thanks
JTR

Hi JTR,

With 8+ years of work-experience, you would be evaluated slightly differently as compared to the younger peers. The focus of your application should be more towards showcasing examples of leadership experiences and creating business impact. Given your background as a seasoned project manager, we don't foresee any difficulties in finding the right examples in your profile.

We also think extracurriculars are a confusing subject to candidates. Applicants often assume that only CSR activities are considered as good extracurriculars. It is not so. What the B-schools are often looking for is well-rounded personalities, who don't lose focus of life while pursuing their careers. Therefore, ask yourself, is there something you're passionate about? Is there something that your pursue beyond work, as a hobby or a passion? And that is your extracurricular story!

You're absolutely right work-ex for the EPGPs and slightly on the higher side for ISB. Post-MBA, you can look for mid-to-senior level business and general management roles within your own Oil and Gas Domain and Senior Consulting jobs in the same domain. There is also an option to switch domains post-MBA, even though it does become a little difficult with higher work-experience. You can also try your shot at senior project, program and business manager jobs at other domains (though the switch is difficult, it is definitely not impossible).

As far as GMAT scores go, try and aim for a 700+, so that your profile becomes more competitive. Higher is always better.

All the best and do get back in case of queries.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Expert Reply
nikhilroger15 wrote:
Hey There,

Member of ENACTUS.

Languages :

I can get LOR's from:

1) AVP of my company
2) My Line Manager

Hi nikhilroger15,

We think that you have a good profile and with the right application you definitely have a shot.

GMAT score and academics are just one of the admission criteria for MIM admissions. The scores for these schools range between 650-750. A score of 680 will be good and of course, a higher GMAT score is always better, as it would also offset your lower GPA.

We think you're headed in the right direction and you will definitely have a better chance if you worked on your SOPs and LORs. Displaying your skills, learnings and goals in the SOPs would be absolutely crucial to the application. This can make or break your case.

If you're comfortable with the GMAT format, then we recommend that you go ahead with the GMAT, especially for your target B-schools, rather than worrying about the GRE.

Since this thread is meant for ISB applicants, feel free to reach out in case you have more queries.
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 6
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.62
Send PM
Hi GyanOne

I intend to apply in Round 1. Kindly help to evaluate my profile;

GMAT - 730 (Q49 V42)

Experience
- Originally from West Africa but currently in the first year of a 2.5 year job rotation in a US office of a Big4 accounting firm.
- Prior to that, I worked in the same Big4 firm in West African for 6 years, rising to the position of Manager. My role is primarily tax consulting and technology. I spearheaded a number of projects working with State Governments to improve processes. These projects led to >15% revenue increases in the first year.
- Led a team of 12 that designed a mobile app at work. Also redesigned a computation model that had been in use in my local firm for about 10 years prior, and the new model saved over 6,000 man-hours in its first year of deployment.
- In addition, I redesigned curricula and facilitated training sessions for my firm's new hires for about 2 years, with each new hire class being about 70-80 in size. My current role in the US firm is data and analytics and I have been deployed to some firm-wide projects.

Education
I have a first degree in a science major from a no-name State University in West Africa. GPA of 4.4 on scale of 5 (top 5 in class of 800+). I also served as Treasurer for my departmental association and was employed part-time by the department to tutor junior classes.

Additional
I am a Certified Accountant (ACCA) and Lean Six Sigma Green Belt. I was president of a youth body that successfully executed a campaign against human trafficking in a State in my home country. I also volunteer as a facilitator for two non-profit educational organizations (one back home and one in the US) and I serve as mentor to two college seniors as part of another non-profit.

I am targeting H/S/W Booth and Haas
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 367
Send PM
Profile:
Lawyer(practicing) 2 years experience in telecom related matter.
socred 690 in gmat.
x-79
xii-76
5 years law- 60%

started my own NGO registered. PLA (people for legal assistance)
started my own social business. both are operational.

any valuable feed back will be appreciated.
CEO
CEO
Send PM
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
saarthak29 wrote:
Profile:
socred 690 in gmat.
x-79
xii-76
5 years law- 60%

Hi Sarthak

- A law background and practice does give you some differentiation. 690 is not the highest of GMAT scores, though it may work. In case it is possible for you to increase this score by another 20 odd points, please do so, especially as your academic scores are not very high.
- ECA are quite good and give you an edge as most people only work in NGOs but you have taken stronger steps by founding your NGO and another social business.
- As a lawyer, you will need to show a need for an MBA and how it would fit in with your future career. This may not be as straightforward as it would be for someone with a business background/career, but it can certainly be done.

CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 575 [0]
Given Kudos: 156
Send PM
Expert Reply
saarthak29 wrote:
Profile:
socred 690 in gmat.
x-79
xii-76
5 years law- 60%

Hi Saarthak,

You definitely add a much sought, diversity element in the b-school candidate mix! An operational NGO as well as a social business add more interest to that mix. I also think its a natural advantage to be able to use your core skills (law knowledge) in volunteering activities. I hope you are able to show impact in both these engagements.

On the work front- which is the most significant component in the MBA application, I'd need more details- what are your achievements here? Other important questions are, why do you want to do an MBA and what are your post MBA goals?

Also, as an early career and non-traditional applicant, what new perspectives will you bring to the class?

A 690 GMAT can be bumped up to 720+ - do consider a retake.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Expert Reply
saarthak29 wrote:
Profile:
socred 690 in gmat.
x-79
xii-76
5 years law- 60%

Hi Saarthak,

We think you have an intriguing profile. B-schools such as ISB value diversity and we think that with your background as a practicing lawyer as well as managing a NGO, you will be able to add a much-need diverse perspective to the class.
With a thumbs-up on the diversity and EC front, we think that if you are able to showcase a mix of leadership, teamwork and professional maturity in your application, you definitely have a great shot! A more important question to answer would be what are your career goals and where do you see yourself headed after MBA. We recommend you spend some time reaching out ISB alumni who are from a law background and understand how an MBA has helped their career trajectory.
We also think that a 690 GMAT is quite competitive for your profile, and while a 700+ always helps, in case you feel that you've given it best shot, we recommend you use the time available with you to make a strong case on Why MBA.

Feel free to reach out in case of more queries.
CEO
CEO
Send PM
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
Jwhizzy wrote:
Hi GyanOne

I intend to apply in Round 1. Kindly help to evaluate my profile;

GMAT - 730 (Q49 V42)

Experience
- Originally from West Africa but currently in the first year of a 2.5 year job rotation in a US office of a Big4 accounting firm.
- Prior to that, I worked in the same Big4 firm in West African for 6 years, rising to the position of Manager. My role is primarily tax consulting and technology. I spearheaded a number of projects working with State Governments to improve processes. These projects led to >15% revenue increases in the first year.
- Led a team of 12 that designed a mobile app at work. Also redesigned a computation model that had been in use in my local firm for about 10 years prior, and the new model saved over 6,000 man-hours in its first year of deployment.
- In addition, I redesigned curricula and facilitated training sessions for my firm's new hires for about 2 years, with each new hire class being about 70-80 in size. My current role in the US firm is data and analytics and I have been deployed to some firm-wide projects.

Education
I have a first degree in a science major from a no-name State University in West Africa. GPA of 4.4 on scale of 5 (top 5 in class of 800+). I also served as Treasurer for my departmental association and was employed part-time by the department to tutor junior classes.

Additional
I am a Certified Accountant (ACCA) and Lean Six Sigma Green Belt. I was president of a youth body that successfully executed a campaign against human trafficking in a State in my home country. I also volunteer as a facilitator for two non-profit educational organizations (one back home and one in the US) and I serve as mentor to two college seniors as part of another non-profit.

I am targeting H/S/W Booth and Haas

Hi JWhizzy

Thanks for posting. Here is our assessment:

- Some great accomplishments there. You have clearly done work that has gone well beyond your core competence (Acctg/Finance) and contributed to areas such as tech (mobile app) development and analytics, which gives you an edge.
- Your work in Africa and now in the US provides you differentiation and international experience. The fact that you are in a rotation means that you are recognized as a high potential employee for the future as well.
- The no-name state university does not take away too much from you, as your GPA is decent, and you are an ACCA as well. The non-profit work will add the ECA perspective.
- We dont' see too much here in terms of personal interests and passions. At some point, those will also carry weight, especially for H/S/W.
- If you are planning for a post-MBA move to consulting, would like to see you add Kellogg and maybe Columbia as well to that list. H/S/W/Booth all seem within your grasp, if not necessarily your reach right now, if you can build strong apps. Your current work and role in analytics seem to be pointing towards a post-MBA career in consulting.
- It would be interesting to see how you are planning to build up your profile hereon. Do you continue in the US/move back to Africa later? That will be an important element of the apps.

Again, as this is a forum for ISB applicants, feel free to contact directly on a different thread.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 507 [0]
Given Kudos: 68
Concentration: Nonprofit, Social Entrepreneurship
WE:Education (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Hello everyone,
Please help me evaluate my profile for Fall 2018 R1 applications.

Demographic: 27 years old, male, Indian

Academic background:
BTech: 6.4/10
GRE: 319
GMAT 1st attempt: 650
Planning to retake and get a score of 720 in next 3 months.

Work Experience: 5 years (as of April 2017)
Chief moderator at ChessCube India ( 7 months)
Business Analyst at Cognizant Technology Solutions (38 months, 2 promotions)
Assistant Manager-CSR at Coal India Limited (16 months,1 promotion)

Extra-curricular:
National level chess player and online chess coach at chess.com
Lots of CSR initiatives both at my workplace and outside.
Involved in lots of Chess seminars where I sold my chess books and video tutorials.

Future goal: IT consulting

Please suggest me some B schools in US and Canada where I have decent chances of an admit.
I appreciate any comments or tips as to how I can improve my profile further. Thanking everyone in advance!

Best Regards,
Vivek
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V41
Send PM
xxxxxxxxxx

Originally posted by notabanker on 11 May 2017, 05:09.
Last edited by notabanker on 11 May 2017, 05:19, edited 1 time in total.
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  30   31   32   33   34  ...  307