Last visit was: 29 Apr 2024, 09:14 It is currently 29 Apr 2024, 09:14

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 60 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: General Management, International Business
Schools: NUS '20
WE:Engineering (Computer Software)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
Concentration: Marketing, International Business
Schools: ISB '18
WE:Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Re: ISB Profile Evaluation - Tools for B-School Profile Evaluation [#permalink]
I think u r gonna make it to ISB but I also think that u should also try for LBS as u have done your graduation from London. There are chances that u would get admission in King's college or LBS.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Expert Reply
sidroy09 wrote:
Hello Guys,

Please review my profile. I am planning to give my GMAT within next 6-8 months and targeting joining an MBA course by mid-2019.

Education:
12th- 79%
B.TECH. Computer Science- 74.5% from Punjab Technical University in May, 2011
M.S. IT Management - 3.76/4 from The University of Texas at Dallas, USA in May, 2016

Experience:
1) 2.5 years as Software Engineer in India
2) 2.5 years as Business Intelligence Professional in Dallas, USA including 1 yr as Intern.

Industry Experience:
1) Retail
2) American Healthcare

So until May 2017, I have almost 5 years of work experience in IT mostly as Software Engineer and Scrum Master.

My experience is mostly technical with not much leadership/business responsibilities. This will be one of the concerns for me while applying to various schools.
Also, I don't have much extracurriculars to show on my Resume apart from some involvement in sports clubs and certifications.
Therefore, I am not sure how I can improve on that in my profile.

I have planned to apply in IIMs in India which provides 1 yr MBA coursework, ISB, INSEAD Singapore and NUS Singapore.

Demographic Status: Indian (NRI)

I will appreciate if someone reviews my profile and provide suggestions.

Thanks in advance,
Sid

Hi Sid,

Your profile is technology based and that would place in the midst of an extremely competitive Indian IT male pool. But the international stint definitely adds value and differentiation. Since academically you have a strong profile, a GMAT score of 700-720+ should be good enough for your target B-schools.

We noticed that you haven't mentioned your goals. Since you have mentioned that your experience is mostly technical, it is very important to chalk out your short term and long term goals. These would form the basis of your application. Even if you lack leadership responsibilities at work, you may find that you do not lack leadership experiences! Therefore, to begin with, you must introspect on why you want to do an MBA, and this will help you find the right instances to quote in your application. Also, reach out to alumni of these B-schools, who have a similar profile and identify qualities and strengths in yours profile.

Also, you mentioned that you plan to give your GMAT over the next 6-8 months. We recommend you give it over the next few months, so that you can apply by R1, as this would give you a better chance at the B-schools. The later rounds get extremely competitive.

A good GMAT score and the right applications showcasing your strengths should be able to get you into your dream B-school.

Feel free to reach out in case of queries.
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: General Management, International Business
Schools: NUS '20
WE:Engineering (Computer Software)
Send PM
Apphelp wrote:
sidroy09 wrote:
Hello Guys,

Please review my profile. I am planning to give my GMAT within next 6-8 months and targeting joining an MBA course by mid-2019.

Education:
12th- 79%
M.S. IT Management - 3.76/4 from The University of Texas at Dallas, USA in May, 2016

Experience:
2) 2.5 years as Business Intelligence Professional in Dallas, USA including 1 yr as Intern.

Industry Experience:
1) Retail
2) American Healthcare

So until May 2017, I have almost 5 years of work experience in IT mostly as Software Engineer and Scrum Master.

My experience is mostly technical with not much leadership/business responsibilities. This will be one of the concerns for me while applying to various schools.
Also, I don't have much extracurriculars to show on my Resume apart from some involvement in sports clubs and certifications.

I have planned to apply in IIMs in India which provides 1 yr MBA coursework, ISB, INSEAD Singapore and NUS Singapore.

Thanks in advance,
Sid

Hi Sid,

Your profile is technology based and that would place in the midst of an extremely competitive Indian IT male pool. But the international stint definitely adds value and differentiation. Since academically you have a strong profile, a GMAT score of 700-720+ should be good enough for your target B-schools.

We noticed that you haven't mentioned your goals. Since you have mentioned that your experience is mostly technical, it is very important to chalk out your short term and long term goals. These would form the basis of your application. Even if you lack leadership responsibilities at work, you may find that you do not lack leadership experiences! Therefore, to begin with, you must introspect on why you want to do an MBA, and this will help you find the right instances to quote in your application. Also, reach out to alumni of these B-schools, who have a similar profile and identify qualities and strengths in yours profile.

Also, you mentioned that you plan to give your GMAT over the next 6-8 months. We recommend you give it over the next few months, so that you can apply by R1, as this would give you a better chance at the B-schools. The later rounds get extremely competitive.

A good GMAT score and the right applications showcasing your strengths should be able to get you into your dream B-school.

Feel free to reach out in case of queries.

Thank you for the response. As I mentioned earlier that I am planning to apply for 2019 admissions. So with regard to that when would be the right time for 2019 R1 applications?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Send PM
GyanOne wrote:
royalbtiger wrote:
Hi,
I am aiming to opt for ISB, HKUST,CUHK, NUS, NTU MBA 2018-2019 (12 months)
After several attempts at GMAT, with my heart bleeding as hell I could secure only 620 (Q - 49, V - 25, IR -6), which I know is way below avg of the mentioned colleges.

If you can please review and let me know if I stand a chance at all for the schools as mentioned above or should I give up all hopes (I do not wish to give GMAT further as my levels have saturated after many attempts)
Following is my profile -
Total Work Exp - 8yrs
Growth in profile -
1. Launched the 3G network for a leading telco in India in 2008
2. Launched a Malaysian retail brand in India in 2014 with 2 outlets in the South to start off with
3. Currently, handling the business growth for a product in education industry (for one of the leading firms) at a pan India level with 41 locations and having almost 80% travel in a month
4. Launched an e-commerce company attracting a seed funding 2 yrs back and aiming to expand to South East Asia - have got several vendors on board with blog space contributors from U.K, U.S, Australia Lebanon and many other parts of the globe
5. Got published in 1 book which is still selling in Amazon, Flipkart and few retail stores in India, U.S. and India., the 2nd book will be published in Aug(most likely) - it still under final review status with Rupa Publishers (have an author contract letter with another publisher if Rupa doesn't click)
6. Got published in several newspapers - TOI, Malayala Manorama, Hindu, Dinakaran, Dainik Bhaskar etc. for public speeches
7. Got felicitated by the Chief Justice, Madras High Court during the launch of a major CSR program in Tamil Nadu – Education empowerment for rural youth (Initiated the program to be launched, negotiated and closed the sanctioned fund from one of Maharatna PSUs of India)

Extra Curriculars - Participation in Athletics & Football (District Level), Playing Guitar, Mouth Organ & Flute
Ardent Traveler - Almost all corners of India, Egypt, Sri Lanka, Thailand, Malaysia, Singapore, Austria, Hungary, Czech, Slovakia, (Indonesia/Iceland - in plans)

Academic History:
Class X - 93%
Class XII - 90%
B.Tech (NIT Durgapur) - 3.4/4 (GPA): Board member of certain clubs
PGDM (IMT) - 3.9/4 : President of certain clubs

Hi royalbtiger,

- Your overall profile and achievements are extraordinary, and your exposure across industries (telecom, education, e-commerce) make them all the more noteworthy. Extra-curriculars are excellent as well, with a published book and another being published soon, and with your noteworthy CSR achievements.
- Your academics are pretty strong as well. A first MBA-equivalent (PGDM) from IMT may raise questions around the need for a second MBA, given the fact that you are doing well in your career currently.
- A GMAT score of 620, though, certainly drags your profile down and puts you almost out of contention at some of the schools. If you can fix this part, by even raising your score by say another 30-40 points, the effort may well be worth it. We understand, though, that this is not an attractive/feasible option for you at the moment, as you seem to have already done your best at the GMAT over multiple attempts.
- From the schools you list, CUHK, and HKUST (outside chance) seem pretty much the only possibilities. At 620, ISB may not be inclined too much.
- Unless you can retake the GMAT, the school list will need to undergo a change. At 8 years of experience, you will be among the older set in any MBA program, and we do not recommend delaying too much. We recommend looking at some options in Canada/Australia/HKU (Hong Kong). Not going into too much further detail here as this is a thread meant to discuss ISB applications. You can contact us directly if need be.

Hope this helps. Feel free to come back with more queries as needed.

Hi GyanOne,
Thanks for the evaluation. After much research I am majorly aiming for the following:
1. HKU
2. CUHK
3. NUS (will need to check)

I am not sure if Im unable to get through any of them.. anyways
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 53 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V38
GPA: 3.71
WE:Supply Chain Management (Consumer Products)
Send PM
GyanOne wrote:
gaurav_pai34 wrote:
Hello everyone,
Please help me evaluate my profile for ISB 2018-19 R1 applications.

Name: Gaurav Pai
Demographic: 25 years old, male, Indian (NRI)

Academic background:
10th standard Maharashtra board SSC: 87%
12th standard Maharashtra board HSC: 91%
Bachelor of Engineering Electrical – Sardar Patel College of Engineering i.e. University of Mumbai: 71%
Master of Science Electrical & Computer Engineering – Georgia Tech: GPA 3.8/4
GMAT: 710 (Q50 V35 IR8)

Professional background:
Industry: Electrical Power and Utilities
Work Experience: 2 years 2 months (as of April 2017)
Transmission Engineer, Entergy Services, Inc. Feb 2015 - Present
Entergy Services, a utility giant in the southern part of USA, is a Fortune 250 company. It is a major utility in the states of Arkansas, Louisiana, Mississippi and Texas.
I have been working as a Transmission Engineer at Entergy since the past two years.

Extra-curricular:
National level chess player
Head of the college drama team at various Inter-collegiate drama competitions
Organized certain events at college cultural and tech fests

Social Service:
Volunteered at a medical camp, blood donation drive (in school)
Volunteered for a clean-up drive organized by Rotary Club (in Bachelors)
Volunteered for a drive to help fill taxes for homeless people and other low income group people in US (at work) and Entergy’s flood victim rehabilitation drives (at work)

Schools I am interested in:
1. ISB is my first choice
2. Looking to apply in PGP courses of IIMs with GMAT score as an NRI
3. NUS and NTU

Future goal: Technology consultant in India

Please help me evaluate my profile. I appreciate any comments or tips as to how I can improve my profile further. Thanking everyone in advance!

Best Regards,
Gaurav Pai

Hi Gaurav

- Overall, your profile does pack a punch. The NRI status helps, and so does the Georgia Tech MS. At 2.2 years (with a Master's), the quantum and quality of work experience is good as well.
- The key questions to answer for you will be why you are seeking an MBA away from the area in which you pursued a Master's in just about 2-3 years after you graduated. Another key question might be why you wish to return to India at this point. Also, technology consulting is a great area to target, but at this point, the Indian market for tech consulting is not very large. Further, your background and work seems more aligned to power engineering than technology/systems (which is what a technology consulting role might require). Not saying these things cannot be overcome, but just highlighting areas to focus more on.
- You should be a decent fit for ISB if you can prepare a good application. For the IIMs, do check out the criteria they use to classify applicants as NRIs and make sure you fit the bill there. The PGP is the right program to aim at there - you would not have enough experience to qualify for the executive MBA options.

It seems Gaurav is a Indian citizen and went to states to get his MS. Do B schools in India (IIM A/B, ISB) prefer NRI (and hence biased) as much as they would a non indian citizen applicant? If so how big is that an advantage. I ask because I too have similar credentials. Please advice. Thank you for your time.

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Expert Reply
sidroy09 wrote:

Thank you for the response. As I mentioned earlier that I am planning to apply for 2019 admissions. So with regard to that when would be the right time for 2019 R1 applications?

Hi Sid,

ISB R1 applications open by mid-July and close by October 15th. For INSEAD, the deadline for next year's intake is 20th September. The NUS MBA application opens from 1st October to 31st January, however they have a rolling admission and candidates are advised to apply earlier.

To maximize the chance of getting through and to ensure that you have enough time to prepare for the applications, it is advisable to complete GMAT by July. This would also give you some buffer in case you feel the need to retake the GMAT.

Hope this answers your questions. Feel free to reach out to us in case of any queries.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Expert Reply
ag111 wrote:
It seems Gaurav is a Indian citizen and went to states to get his MS. Do B schools in India (IIM A/B, ISB) prefer NRI (and hence biased) as much as they would a non indian citizen applicant? If so how big is that an advantage. I ask because I too have similar credentials. Please advice. Thank you for your time.

Hi ag111,

There is definitely a merit in both an international education and an international experience. The advantage that you gain for both varies according to the time spent abroad, the credentials of the institute you studied at and the stature of the organization you worked with. It also varies if you hold an American passport, in which case the candidate is classified as an international applicant.

To answer your question 'how big is that an advantage', we would need a little more information on your educational background, years of experience (national vs international), and quality of experience. Also when you speak of IIMA/B, are you referring to the one year executive MBAs or their flagship 2 year course?
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Hi, request you to kindly review my profile:

I am targeting the Indian B-schools (IIM a/b/c, ISB)

Xth: 88%

XIIth: 60%

B.Tech (Non IT): 80 %

Total work experience: 7 years and 2 months

Company 1: Oracle: Consultant for a financial product

(Total 3 years and 10 months). Worked in international projects for 2 years.

Company 2: British Telecommunications: Consultant (Solution Designer/Architect) for a call routing platform. Some experience in big data.

Extra-curricular:

1. Selected for a national level work shop conducted at IIT Madras during second year of college

2. Toastmaster- CC and CL tracks completed

3. United nations volunteer: Teaching english/soft skills at a muslim orphanage

4. United nations volunteer: Technical author for an IT course at a not for profit educational portal

Awards:

1. Oracle: For outstanding contributions to the project as a fresher

2. British telecom: Improving efficiency of the call routing platform by over 20 percent

3. British Telecom: Solution design for a new product launch.

GMAT: 690

Kindly suggest if I need to re-take GMAT in order to bump up my score.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Expert Reply
shirshendu wrote:

Company 2: British Telecommunications: Consultant (Solution Designer/Architect) for a call routing platform. Some experience in big data.

Extra-curricular:

1. Selected for a national level work shop conducted at IIT Madras during second year of college

4. United nations volunteer: Technical author for an IT course at a not for profit educational portal

Awards:

2. British telecom: Improving efficiency of the call routing platform by over 20 percent

Hi Shirshendu,

We think that you have a well-evolved profile and we are sure when we dig deeper, we will be able to find experiences that showcase both domain expertise and leadership. Having said that, admissions at the higher end of the experience get extremely competitive and you should aim to get every extra bonus point that will make your candidature stronger.

With 690, there is always a chance that your profile is sitting on the fence. Since you definitely have some time before the R1 admissions open, we recommend you give GMAT another try. After all, you already have a score and have nothing to lose!

All the best, and do reach out to us in case of queries.
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1586 [0]
Given Kudos: 33
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V48
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
shirshendu wrote:

Extra-curricular:

Awards:

Hi Shirshendu

A score of 690 at your level of experience can help put you into contention. A higher score may help, though, so if you are in a position to retake, do go ahead, especially as you are from the tech pool.
- Beyond this, you mention 2 years in international projects. Do you mean working with a global team here or actual experience in terms of working abroad? If it is the latter, it can get you significant credit.
- Your experience in BT and with big data act as definite pluses. Leverage these well in your apps.
- In terms of ECA, the first point you mention there wont count for much but otherwise you should have enough on the ECA front
- At this point, focus on retaking the GMAT if possible and on taking up higher value activities at work.

CEO
CEO
Send PM
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
Quote:
ag111 wrote:
GyanOne wrote:
gaurav_pai34 wrote:
Hello everyone,
Please help me evaluate my profile for ISB 2018-19 R1 applications.

Name: Gaurav Pai
Demographic: 25 years old, male, Indian (NRI)

Academic background:
10th standard Maharashtra board SSC: 87%
12th standard Maharashtra board HSC: 91%
Bachelor of Engineering Electrical – Sardar Patel College of Engineering i.e. University of Mumbai: 71%
Master of Science Electrical & Computer Engineering – Georgia Tech: GPA 3.8/4
GMAT: 710 (Q50 V35 IR8)

Professional background:
Industry: Electrical Power and Utilities
Work Experience: 2 years 2 months (as of April 2017)
Transmission Engineer, Entergy Services, Inc. Feb 2015 - Present
Entergy Services, a utility giant in the southern part of USA, is a Fortune 250 company. It is a major utility in the states of Arkansas, Louisiana, Mississippi and Texas.
I have been working as a Transmission Engineer at Entergy since the past two years.

Extra-curricular:
National level chess player
Head of the college drama team at various Inter-collegiate drama competitions
Organized certain events at college cultural and tech fests

Social Service:
Volunteered at a medical camp, blood donation drive (in school)
Volunteered for a clean-up drive organized by Rotary Club (in Bachelors)
Volunteered for a drive to help fill taxes for homeless people and other low income group people in US (at work) and Entergy’s flood victim rehabilitation drives (at work)

Schools I am interested in:
1. ISB is my first choice
2. Looking to apply in PGP courses of IIMs with GMAT score as an NRI
3. NUS and NTU

Future goal: Technology consultant in India

Please help me evaluate my profile. I appreciate any comments or tips as to how I can improve my profile further. Thanking everyone in advance!

Best Regards,
Gaurav Pai

Hi Gaurav

- Overall, your profile does pack a punch. The NRI status helps, and so does the Georgia Tech MS. At 2.2 years (with a Master's), the quantum and quality of work experience is good as well.
- The key questions to answer for you will be why you are seeking an MBA away from the area in which you pursued a Master's in just about 2-3 years after you graduated. Another key question might be why you wish to return to India at this point. Also, technology consulting is a great area to target, but at this point, the Indian market for tech consulting is not very large. Further, your background and work seems more aligned to power engineering than technology/systems (which is what a technology consulting role might require). Not saying these things cannot be overcome, but just highlighting areas to focus more on.
- You should be a decent fit for ISB if you can prepare a good application. For the IIMs, do check out the criteria they use to classify applicants as NRIs and make sure you fit the bill there. The PGP is the right program to aim at there - you would not have enough experience to qualify for the executive MBA options.

Hi,

Yes, Indian B-schools do value experience abroad (education/work) and that can act as a significant advantage. However, you do need to focus on the other elements as well - test scores (GMAT or GRE), and on building strong apps. However, other elements being equal, schools will value applicants with international experience and Master's degrees from abroad a bit more.

CEO
CEO
Send PM
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
royalbtiger wrote:
GyanOne wrote:
royalbtiger wrote:
Hi,
I am aiming to opt for ISB, HKUST,CUHK, NUS, NTU MBA 2018-2019 (12 months)
After several attempts at GMAT, with my heart bleeding as hell I could secure only 620 (Q - 49, V - 25, IR -6), which I know is way below avg of the mentioned colleges.

If you can please review and let me know if I stand a chance at all for the schools as mentioned above or should I give up all hopes (I do not wish to give GMAT further as my levels have saturated after many attempts)
Following is my profile -
Total Work Exp - 8yrs
Growth in profile -
1. Launched the 3G network for a leading telco in India in 2008
2. Launched a Malaysian retail brand in India in 2014 with 2 outlets in the South to start off with
3. Currently, handling the business growth for a product in education industry (for one of the leading firms) at a pan India level with 41 locations and having almost 80% travel in a month
4. Launched an e-commerce company attracting a seed funding 2 yrs back and aiming to expand to South East Asia - have got several vendors on board with blog space contributors from U.K, U.S, Australia Lebanon and many other parts of the globe
5. Got published in 1 book which is still selling in Amazon, Flipkart and few retail stores in India, U.S. and India., the 2nd book will be published in Aug(most likely) - it still under final review status with Rupa Publishers (have an author contract letter with another publisher if Rupa doesn't click)
6. Got published in several newspapers - TOI, Malayala Manorama, Hindu, Dinakaran, Dainik Bhaskar etc. for public speeches
7. Got felicitated by the Chief Justice, Madras High Court during the launch of a major CSR program in Tamil Nadu – Education empowerment for rural youth (Initiated the program to be launched, negotiated and closed the sanctioned fund from one of Maharatna PSUs of India)

Extra Curriculars - Participation in Athletics & Football (District Level), Playing Guitar, Mouth Organ & Flute
Ardent Traveler - Almost all corners of India, Egypt, Sri Lanka, Thailand, Malaysia, Singapore, Austria, Hungary, Czech, Slovakia, (Indonesia/Iceland - in plans)

Academic History:
Class X - 93%
Class XII - 90%
B.Tech (NIT Durgapur) - 3.4/4 (GPA): Board member of certain clubs
PGDM (IMT) - 3.9/4 : President of certain clubs

Hi royalbtiger,

- Your overall profile and achievements are extraordinary, and your exposure across industries (telecom, education, e-commerce) make them all the more noteworthy. Extra-curriculars are excellent as well, with a published book and another being published soon, and with your noteworthy CSR achievements.
- Your academics are pretty strong as well. A first MBA-equivalent (PGDM) from IMT may raise questions around the need for a second MBA, given the fact that you are doing well in your career currently.
- A GMAT score of 620, though, certainly drags your profile down and puts you almost out of contention at some of the schools. If you can fix this part, by even raising your score by say another 30-40 points, the effort may well be worth it. We understand, though, that this is not an attractive/feasible option for you at the moment, as you seem to have already done your best at the GMAT over multiple attempts.
- From the schools you list, CUHK, and HKUST (outside chance) seem pretty much the only possibilities. At 620, ISB may not be inclined too much.
- Unless you can retake the GMAT, the school list will need to undergo a change. At 8 years of experience, you will be among the older set in any MBA program, and we do not recommend delaying too much. We recommend looking at some options in Canada/Australia/HKU (Hong Kong). Not going into too much further detail here as this is a thread meant to discuss ISB applications. You can contact us directly if need be.

Hi GyanOne,
Thanks for the evaluation. After much research I am majorly aiming for the following:
1. HKU
2. CUHK
3. NUS (will need to check)

I am not sure if Im unable to get through any of them.. anyways

Hi royalbtiger

NUS will not be a fit at your current score.....the others seem fine.
CEO
CEO
Send PM
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
sidroy09 wrote:
Hello Guys,

Education:
12th- 79%

Experience:

Industry Experience:
1) Retail
2) American Healthcare

Thanks in advance,
Sid

Hi SidRoy09

- You do have time at hand at the moment, so use this time well. Aim for a GMAT score of 720+, if not higher. That will be very important, especially for schools such as INSEAD. Will of course make you more competitive at ISB and NUS as well.
- Your international experience and work certainly gives you an edge in your profile. The work in tech/IT does mean that you are a in a somewhat overcrowded pool, but then you are well differentiated in that pool too. You need to focus on building strong apps with the right stories and perspectives, and given your profile you can do that. That, though, comes later. Focus on the GMAT for now.
- Academics and industry exposure are all good. Cannot really comment on the extra curriculars unless you provide details on the exact activities and clubs you have been part of and how.
- The school selection seems ok for now, but you should consider expanding it a bit. HEC in Europe and NTU in Singapore, for example, may be two good additions to your overall portfolio if they otherwise fit your preferences. Once you are done with your GMAT, you need to review your school list with deeper thought.

Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
GyanOne wrote:
shirshendu wrote:

Extra-curricular:

Awards:

Hi Shirshendu

A score of 690 at your level of experience can help put you into contention. A higher score may help, though, so if you are in a position to retake, do go ahead, especially as you are from the tech pool.
- Beyond this, you mention 2 years in international projects. Do you mean working with a global team here or actual experience in terms of working abroad? If it is the latter, it can get you significant credit.
- Your experience in BT and with big data act as definite pluses. Leverage these well in your apps.
- In terms of ECA, the first point you mention there wont count for much but otherwise you should have enough on the ECA front
- At this point, focus on retaking the GMAT if possible and on taking up higher value activities at work.

Hi,

Yes, I meant working abroad for 2 years on different consulting engagements. 2 in the UAE (1 central bank and 3 retail banks) and 1 in Jordan.

I am planning to re-take. Hope I manage to get my target score, else I'll apply with this score.

Thanks,
Shirshendu.
CEO
CEO
Send PM
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
Mad_data_scientist wrote:
Hi All,

Can someone please evaluate my profile and tell me what should my target GMAT score be?. I know that my GPA in college is a negative point and can hurt my chances of getting admission in the following colleges:
1) GSB Stanford
2) Insead
3) ISB
4) Kellogs
5) Wharton

My Profile:
10th:90%
12th:84%
Graduation: B.Tech (IIT Roorkee), 65% (Member of Certain Clubs, Headed the Annual Cultural Festival, Member of SPIC-MACAY)
4 years of work experience as a data scientist & a business consultant in a boutique consulting firm (Currently handling a team of >25)
Also working as a freelance data scientist.
Just started blogging with a couple of posts around data science.
I have a startup of my own (have a proprietary product in the marketing ad impact measurement space, patent pending). Our startup was selected in top 6 startups out of 250+ startups at an annual competition in IIM Bangalore.

Want to do an MBA in Marketing to help grow my own startup.
GMAT Score (in practice tests):690

I can get Letters of Recommendations from:
1) CEO of the company where I work
2) My clients
3) My co-founders/ professors at college

Thanks,
Aayush

Hi Aayush

Need a few points of clarification:
- Do you have any international experience (even if short-term)?
- You have a startup of your own and are also working separately in a full-time job. Correct? Given that your analytics product is recognized, why have you not made the move to your startup full-time?
- Please provide more details around your ECA. The part you have provided (college) does not differentiate you much, at least at the top schools you have mentioned.

In terms of GMAT score, you are looking at a 730 and above here as the options you are aiming for are ambitious. Your work in data science, the product you have created, and your leadership responsibilities do provide you an edge.

CEO
CEO
Send PM
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
shirshendu wrote:
GyanOne wrote:
shirshendu wrote:

Extra-curricular:

Awards:

Hi Shirshendu

Hi,

Yes, I meant working abroad for 2 years on different consulting engagements. 2 in the UAE (1 central bank and 3 retail banks) and 1 in Jordan.

I am planning to re-take. Hope I manage to get my target score, else I'll apply with this score.

Thanks,
Shirshendu.

That's actually great and adds significantly to your profile. All the best for the retake. Feel free to come back here with further questions.
CEO
CEO
Send PM
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
Sasindran wrote:
Hi all,

I'm a non native English speaker-Asian-Indian.

I've a score of 91.27% in class 10th being the school first, 95.16% in 12th. And 8.23 CGPA (Indian grading) in BE civil engineering. Worked with a renowned construction company-L&T from July'12 to Dec'16. Now working in a small firm.

I can write some good extra curricular activities like being the secretary for NSS club in college. Class leader during school etc. I can fluently speak in 4 Indian languages viz Tamil, Hindi, Telugu and punjabi apart from English.

I'm thinking of doing operations management.

Please tell me that what shall be my GMAT score to get into some top B schools.

Hi Sasindran
- We do see the potential for some great admits given the profile you have described. However, you will need to supplement with a good GMAT score.
- If you are aiming for ISB, a score of 680 and above will put you in contention. If aiming for broader options (including international ones), aim for 720 and above.
- Some of the ECA you describe are now dated, and some others (fluency across multiple Indian languages) will not carry much weight at least in international admissions. Think of supplementing with more firm contribution/leadership activities at work and in society if possible.

GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  29   30   31   32   33  ...  307