Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 16:19 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 16:19

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [1]
Given Kudos: 12
Schools: Ivey '22 (A$)
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V32
GPA: 3.3
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [1]
Given Kudos: 187
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [2]
Given Kudos: 2
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V32
GPA: 4
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [0]
GMAT 1: 680 Q45 V39
GPA: 3.33
Send PM
Re: Ivey (Western) Full Time MBA (2021 Intake) Class of 2022 [#permalink]
Anyone got admitted who's international student? I got an offer and I'm debating. I really like Ivey but I'm afraid the 1-year permit wouldn't give me enough time to apply for Express Entry. Any input?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 185 [2]
Given Kudos: 76
WE:General Management (Consulting)
Send PM
Kudos
kanachi47 wrote:
Anyone got admitted who's international student? I got an offer and I'm debating. I really like Ivey but I'm afraid the 1-year permit wouldn't give me enough time to apply for Express Entry. Any input?

You should be ok. Express Entry requires at least one year of study and one year of work experience. In case your work visa will expire before you hit one year work experience, you can apply for something called "Bridge Permit" (or so) that will allow you to reach their requirement.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 44 [1]
Given Kudos: 20
Send PM
Kudos
Hey Ayush

Wishing you luck for your interview.

Ayush2187 wrote:
My first post :)

Hi All!

I have been following this topic (and others) since last 2 months when I started preparing for the Ivey application. And I am writing today when I am almost at the end of the process (interview scheduled for 26th June) because whatever may be the result, I feel this community has been the best source for me from the very first stage of application preparation to the last stage of interview. I am very thankful to everyone who has contributed to this topic which directly contributed to my success of reaching to this stage.

Brief about my background:

1) Background: Indian male in early 30s who moved to Canada in February 2018
2) Work Experience: 6 years of professional experience (4.5 years in financial services industry in India and 1.5 years in management consulting in Canada; lived and worked in London, ON for 8 months)
3) Education: CFA Charterholder, Masters in International Economics and Finance from Australia, and Bachelors in Engineering from India
4) Extra Curricular: Worked as a trekking guide in the upper Himalayas for 6 months to prepare myself for Canadian winters ;-); Hiking leader for Bruce Trail Club in Canada; coaching and mentoring of new immigrants in Canada

Again, thanks a lot for all your support. Please feel free to reach out to me if you have any questions and I will be more than happy to answer them.

Cheers,
Ayush

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 187
Send PM
Also, if I’m not wrong, to be eligible to apply for Express Entry under the FSW category, you need to have work experience, which you’d have anyway if you’re applying to school (so I’m guessing), post which you should anyway be able to apply for a Permanent Resident permit. Again, my assumption as from whatever I have researched so far, this is what I have gauged. If it helps, you can always speak to one of the international students who have graduated this year and ask them to share experience.

kanachi47 wrote:

Manager
Manager
Send PM
Kudos
Hi kanachi47

The one year program shld not be a hurdle. What is your current CRS score. Most students are able to meet the points with the education experience. Alternatively you can apply after one year Canadian work ex & while you apply if your visa is expiring you can apply for a bridge permit.

DealMakerOne wrote:
kanachi47 wrote:

You should be ok. Express Entry requires at least one year of study and one year of work experience. In case your work visa will expire before you hit one year work experience, you can apply for something called "Bridge Permit" (or so) that will allow you to reach their requirement.

Intern
Intern
Send PM
bschoolhunter wrote:
Hi kanachi47

The one year program shld not be a hurdle. What is your current CRS score. Most students are able to meet the points with the education experience. Alternatively you can apply after one year Canadian work ex & while you apply if your visa is expiring you can apply for a bridge permit.

DealMakerOne wrote:
kanachi47 wrote:

Hey bschoolhunter! My current CRS is 441 with 3.5 years of experience, after the program it's gonna be 501. Should be enough for FSW - in your experience, how long is FSW processing time?
For the bridge permit, one of the requirement is I need to submit a "complete application" already. The hours are counted from "the date you receive PSWP" to "the date application is submitted", so I can only submit a complete application once I have had all 1560 hours (30 hours/week for 52 weeks, no hour above 30 will be counted). THEN I can ask for the bridge open work permit. With a one-year PSWP, this is near impossible.

What program did you end up going to?
Thanks!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Send PM
Congratulations to the admitted candidates! Would anyone here be able to guide me with the video essays? Is there a list/link with the list of past questions that I can refer to? Apologies if I have missed it in some other topic/forum, couldn't find it here.

I am currently working on my application and any help would be deeply appreciated.

Thanks
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 44 [0]
Send PM
Hi kanachi47

If you are checking on the timeline for receiving a PR through the FSW route then that ranges from 6-8 mths(though this is basis my discussion with Alumns prior to COVID)

For BOWP not sure if you need to complete the full quota of hours before you apply. The IRCC website itself states that you can apply if 4 mths or less is left on your work visa (link below)

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-re ... ermit.html

Alternatively you could also get a work visa from your employer in case your PGWP is expiring and you are not able to apply for a PR.

So there are multiple routes to bridge this gap. Also I suggest that you write to your admission coordinator as generally Ivey does provide brief advice on visa related concerns.

kanachi47 wrote:
bschoolhunter wrote:
Hi kanachi47

DealMakerOne wrote:
kanachi47 wrote:

Hey bschoolhunter! My current CRS is 441 with 3.5 years of experience, after the program it's gonna be 501. Should be enough for FSW - in your experience, how long is FSW processing time?
For the bridge permit, one of the requirement is I need to submit a "complete application" already. The hours are counted from "the date you receive PSWP" to "the date application is submitted", so I can only submit a complete application once I have had all 1560 hours (30 hours/week for 52 weeks, no hour above 30 will be counted). THEN I can ask for the bridge open work permit. With a one-year PSWP, this is near impossible.

Thanks!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Kudos
Hello messiah20

I guess you mean the Kira interview questions.
So the questions are pretty generic and I believe they test your spontaneity and flow of ideas.
Once you sign up, you get to practice different questions unlimited times before you face the real one. That should give you ample practice!

messiah20 wrote:
Congratulations to the admitted candidates! Would anyone here be able to guide me with the video essays? Is there a list/link with the list of past questions that I can refer to? Apologies if I have missed it in some other topic/forum, couldn't find it here.

I am currently working on my application and any help would be deeply appreciated.

Thanks

Intern
Intern
Send PM
bschoolhunter wrote:
Hi kanachi47

If you are checking on the timeline for receiving a PR through the FSW route then that ranges from 6-8 mths(though this is basis my discussion with Alumns prior to COVID)

For BOWP not sure if you need to complete the full quota of hours before you apply. The IRCC website itself states that you can apply if 4 mths or less is left on your work visa (link below)

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-re ... ermit.html

Alternatively you could also get a work visa from your employer in case your PGWP is expiring and you are not able to apply for a PR.

So there are multiple routes to bridge this gap. Also I suggest that you write to your admission coordinator as generally Ivey does provide brief advice on visa related concerns.

kanachi47 wrote:
bschoolhunter wrote:
Hi kanachi47

DealMakerOne wrote:
kanachi47 wrote:

Thanks!

Hey bschoolhunter
So to apply for BOWP, you have to submit a COMPLETE application. Under the CEC stream, they only count the 1560 hours from the date you receive your open work permit to the date you submit the PR application, and any hours that you work AFTER you’ve submitted the application doesn’t count. This means that you have to earn all 1560 hours (30/week for 52 weeks, anything more than 30 doesn’t count so it’s meaningless if you work 50 hrs/week) before you submit the application to qualify under CEC. Only then can you apply for BOWP. That’s a really tight timeline with a 1-year PGWP as you can imagine.
BOWP remains a viable option for FSW stream, but if you apply for FSW the minute you graduate then there’s no reason for BOWP, unless your application has some hiccup that takes 1 whole year to resolve rather than 6-8 months.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Hello all..!!!

I would like to give my input here.

I came to know about a fact yesterday while I was talking my friend living in Canada that few of his friends who got masters degree (not MBA) from good university got 3 years work permit after 1 year’s master course. So, they weren’t worried a bit about bridge permit or any other work permits.

So, I would suggest that anyone who wants to opt for 1 year MBA should take second opinion to check whether they will be eligible for 3 years work permit.

Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [1]
Given Kudos: 26
Concentration: Finance, International Business
Schools: Ivey (A$$$)
GPA: 3.98
WE:Investment Banking (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Kudos
VIRAJ1910 wrote:
Hello all..!!!

I came to know about a fact yesterday while I was talking my friend living in Canada that few of his friends who got masters degree (not MBA) from good university got 3 years work permit after 1 year’s master course. So, they weren’t worried a bit about bridge permit or any other work permits.

So, I would suggest that anyone who wants to opt for 1 year MBA should take second opinion to check whether they will be eligible for 3 years work permit.

Hey, I am pretty sure that you won't get a 3 year Post Study Visa after a 1 year program.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
VIRAJ1910 wrote:
Hello all..!!!

I think you should double check with your friend Bc you can only get 3 year permit if the master program lasts more than 16 months. It says so pretty clearly on the IRCC’s guidelines.
There are programs like Simon Fraser’s MBA where the program is 12 months and then you can elect to do an internship for 4 months after the program ends, and they will still count it as a 16-month program. That’s a get-around for international students to get a 3 year work permit if they need to, which I think is pretty clever.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [0]
Send PM
Thanks for sharing, Ayush.

How did the interview go? All well I'm hoping. Glad the thread has been helpful along the way :)

Cheers.

Ayush2187 wrote:
My first post :)

Hi All!

I have been following this topic (and others) since last 2 months when I started preparing for the Ivey application. And I am writing today when I am almost at the end of the process (interview scheduled for 26th June) because whatever may be the result, I feel this community has been the best source for me from the very first stage of application preparation to the last stage of interview. I am very thankful to everyone who has contributed to this topic which directly contributed to my success of reaching to this stage.

Brief about my background:

1) Background: Indian male in early 30s who moved to Canada in February 2018
2) Work Experience: 6 years of professional experience (4.5 years in financial services industry in India and 1.5 years in management consulting in Canada; lived and worked in London, ON for 8 months)
3) Education: CFA Charterholder, Masters in International Economics and Finance from Australia, and Bachelors in Engineering from India
4) Extra Curricular: Worked as a trekking guide in the upper Himalayas for 6 months to prepare myself for Canadian winters ;-); Hiking leader for Bruce Trail Club in Canada; coaching and mentoring of new immigrants in Canada

Again, thanks a lot for all your support. Please feel free to reach out to me if you have any questions and I will be more than happy to answer them.

Cheers,
Ayush
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Hey Kanachi!

As part of the Ivey 2022 cohort, I can tell you that there are plenty of international students. And having had conversations with alums as well, this is not something you should be worrying about. The bridge permit, can definitely help you post the 1 year PGWP. Please let me know if you have any questions.

Cheers.

kanachi47 wrote:
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Hey VIraj!

A 1 year program at Ivey warrants a 1 year PGWP. Not 3 years. And by design, the course is built out in this fashion. Hope that clarifies things here.

Cheers.

VIRAJ1910 wrote:
Hello all..!!!

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Concentration: Strategy, Healthcare
Send PM
Hi People,

I am applying to Ivey in like 5 days, and I'm very worried because my recommenders are confused about how to write on the LOR?

Should they type inside the PDF? the form apparently says that they can also send a word document. How can the multiple choice selections be done on word document? I am very confused, please help out!

Please help ASAP!

Thanks!
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  24   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts