It is currently 24 Feb 2018, 12:04

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Jennifer: Video rental outlets in Centerville together handled 10,000

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

5 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Jennifer: Video rental outlets in Centerville together handled 10,000 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Apr 2012, 22:48
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

65% (hard)

Question Stats:

58% (00:58) correct 42% (01:06) wrong based on 1440 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Jennifer: Video rental outlets in Centerville together handled 10,000 fewer video rentals in 1994 than in 1993. The decline in rentals was probably due almost entirely to the February 1994 opening of Videorama, the first and only video rental outlet in the area that, in addition to renting videos, also sold them cheaply.

Brad: There must be another explanation: as you yourself said, the decline was on the order of 10,000 rentals. Yet Videorama sold only 4,000 videos in 1994.

Which of the following, if true, would most seriously weaken the force of the objection that Brad presents to Jennifer's explanation?

(A) In 1994 Videorama rented out more videos than it sold.
(B) In 1994 two new outlets that rent but that do not sell videos opened in Centerville.
(C) Most of the video rental outlets in Centerville rent videos at a discount on certain nights of the week.
(D) People often buy videos of movies that they have previously seen in a theater.
(E) People who own videos frequently loan them to their friends.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

The Best Way to Keep me ON is to give Me KUDOS !!!
If you Like My posts please Consider giving Kudos

Shikhar

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Re: Jennifer: Video rental outlets in Centerville together handled 10,000 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Apr 2012, 22:49
This post received
KUDOS
I am confused between A and E....

Can somebody explain ??

The Best Way to Keep me ON is to give Me KUDOS !!!
If you Like My posts please Consider giving Kudos

Shikhar

Intern
Intern
Re: Jennifer: Video rental outlets in Centerville together handled 10,000 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Apr 2012, 17:08
shikhar wrote:
I am confused between A and E....

Can somebody explain ??

Should be E.
A is wrong because VideoRama is a part of Centerville too.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Marketing, Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GPA: 2.9
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 18 Apr 2012, 20:22
This post was
BOOKMARKED
I choose A.

Brad's argument starts with an inherent belief that the reason presented by Jennifer is not enough. He backs it with data about the number of videos sold by Videorama. 'A' most seriously weakens Brad's argument as it shows that the impact felt by the other Video Rental outlets is more so due to the number of videos rented out by VIdeorama as opposed to the number of videos sold.

KUDOS-ing does'nt cost you anything, but might just make someone's day!!!

"Musings of a Muddled Muggle Mind"
http://felinesmile.blogspot.in/
...comments Welcome :)

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 680 Q44 V39

Show Tags

New post 18 Apr 2012, 23:36
I agree with charlemagne. The conclusion by Brad states sales but the argument is about rentals. This leaves only A as the option
Expert Post
12 KUDOS received
Magoosh GMAT Instructor

Show Tags

New post 19 Apr 2012, 07:57
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Hopefully, I can clear up any doubt between (A) and (E) :).

We need to weaken Brad's objection, which states that Videorama only sold 4,000 videos. Therefore, that number is not enough to account for the 10,000 fewer videos that the video rental outlets rented out in 1994 vs. 1993.

(A) is tempting because it is easy to think that Brad is only focusing on the number of videos Videorama sold not on the number it rented. Even then, had Videorama rented 5,000 videos that doesn't quite add up to 10,000. (A) therefore is not the 'best answer.'

(E) Brad's objection focuses on the number of videos bought at Videorama. His argument is that number alone cannot account for the 10,000. However (E) directly counters Brad's argument by offering an explanation for how 4,000 can account for the 10,000: friends frequently lend videos they own to other friends. For instance, if one video is loaned 5 times that is 5 fewer people who will rent that video from the other Centerville video stores. THE ANSWER

Hope that helps :).

Christopher Lele
Magoosh Test Prep

Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 20 Apr 2012, 23:51
naveenhv wrote:
I agree with charlemagne. The conclusion by Brad states sales but the argument is about rentals. This leaves only A as the option

Thanks for the vote of confidence dude...wonder if Chris' argument is definitive though?

Expert Post
4 KUDOS received
Magoosh GMAT Instructor

Show Tags

New post 21 Apr 2012, 06:56
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Let me do a better job of showing why (A) is not the answer. In doing so, I'll address Charlemagne original explanation.

Sold videos and rented videos are not discrete in terms of who watches the videos. Think of it this way, if I go over to my friend's house and watch a movie, it doesn't matter whether he bought the video or rented the video. I most likely will not rent the movie myself (I've already seen it).

Therefore the argument is not "due to the number of videos rented out by Videorama as opposed to the number of videos sold", but rather to why fewer people are renting videos from Videorama in the first place. 'Sold videos' can thus have a major impact on whether someone rents from Videorama. If I know my buddy Jake bought a cheap copy of Avatar from Videorama, then I am less likely to run down there and rent Avatar. As (E) says, friends are likely to loan videos. I ask Jake he loans me his copy: one fewer person to rent Avatar for Videorama.

Hope that was clearer :).

Christopher Lele
Magoosh Test Prep

Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 22 Apr 2012, 18:56
ChrisLele wrote:
Let me do a better job of showing why (A) is not the answer. In doing so, I'll address Charlemagne original explanation.

Sold videos and rented videos are not discrete in terms of who watches the videos. Think of it this way, if I go over to my friend's house and watch a movie, it doesn't matter whether he bought the video or rented the video. I most likely will not rent the movie myself (I've already seen it).

Therefore the argument is not "due to the number of videos rented out by Videorama as opposed to the number of videos sold", but rather to why fewer people are renting videos from Videorama in the first place. 'Sold videos' can thus have a major impact on whether someone rents from Videorama. If I know my buddy Jake bought a cheap copy of Avatar from Videorama, then I am less likely to run down there and rent Avatar. As (E) says, friends are likely to loan videos. I ask Jake he loans me his copy: one fewer person to rent Avatar for Videorama.

Hope that was clearer :).

Hmm...I do understand why E is a good answer....and I also get the whole lending out the bought/rented DVDs stuff..

But could you please explain how option E is a 'better' answer than option 'A'?

Thanks much!

GMAT Forum Moderator
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 22 Apr 2012, 19:12
Has to be (E)

If people who own videos lend it to friends , then it's unlikely that "these" friends would go and rent the video when they can get it for free.

Image Posted from GMAT ToolKit
3 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
WE: Consulting (Internet and New Media)

Show Tags

New post 24 Apr 2012, 03:29
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Jennifer: Video rental outlets in Centerville together handled 10,000 fewer video rentals in 1994 than in 1993.
The decline in rentals was probably due almost entirely to the February 1994 opening of Videorama, the first
and only video rental outlet in the area that, in addition to renting videos, also sold them cheaply.
Brad: There must be another explanation: as you yourself said, the decline was on the order of 10,000
rentals. Yet Videorama sold only 4,000 videos in 1994.
Which of the following, if true, would most seriously weaken the force of the objection that Brad
presents to Jennifer's explanation?
A. In 1994 Videorama rented out more videos than it sold.
B. In 1994 two new outlets that rent but that do not sell videos opened in Centerville.
C. Most of the video rental outlets in Centerville rent videos at a discount on certain nights of the week.
D. People often buy videos of movies that they have previously seen in a theater.
E. People who own videos frequently loan them to their friends.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, International Business
GMAT 1: 590 Q28 V38
GPA: 2.54
WE: Accounting (Hospitality and Tourism)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 24 Apr 2012, 08:05
This post received
KUDOS
tech3 wrote:
Jennifer: Video rental outlets in Centerville together handled 10,000 fewer video rentals in 1994 than in 1993.
The decline in rentals was probably due almost entirely to the February 1994 opening of Videorama, the first
and only video rental outlet in the area that, in addition to renting videos, also sold them cheaply.
Brad: There must be another explanation: as you yourself said, the decline was on the order of 10,000
Which of the following, if true, would most seriously weaken the force of the objection that Brad
B. In 1994 two new outlets that rent but that do not sell videos opened in Centerville.
C. Most of the video rental outlets in Centerville rent videos at a discount on certain nights of the week.
D. People often buy videos of movies that they have previously seen in a theater.

Please explain this one. I believe the answer is A.

Nm, not going to spend time explaining to someone wo can't search, or browse down half a page.

4/28 GMATPrep 42Q 36V 640

Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
WE: Consulting (Internet and New Media)

Show Tags

New post 24 Apr 2012, 10:01
My bad, i did not think that the question would be there.

Thanks for the heads'up anyway.
6 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Schools: LBS '14 (S)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 24 Apr 2012, 11:54
This post received
KUDOS
tech3 wrote:

Please explain this one. I believe the answer is A.

Tech3,

"A" states that Videorama rented out more videos than it sold. Jennifer specifically mentions 'video rental outlets in Centreville', and Videorama is also a video rental outlet, therefore Videorama's rental number also contributes to the total number of rentals in Centreville. Even if Videorama rented out more videos than it sold, it does not necessarily explain why the total number declined.

On the other hand, if people purchase videos and lends out to friends after they had viewed it, then the rental figure will certainly decline.

Hope this helps.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GPA: 3.7
WE: Account Management (Consumer Products)

Show Tags

New post 28 Apr 2012, 21:43
This post received
KUDOS
A. In 1994 Videorama rented out more videos than it sold. (there is still an uncertainty here of whether Videorama handled 10k videos. if they rented out 4,001 videos then the totaled handled would still be less than 10k videos.

This give a good reason of what the cause of the situation is. Many people are giving rental less business.

Side note: how do we know for sure that it is the entire cause of the difference of 6k.

DETERMINED TO BREAK 700!!!

Manager
Manager
Concentration: International Business, Strategy
GMAT Date: 07-30-2012
GPA: 2.66

Show Tags

New post 14 Jul 2012, 15:34
Jennifer: Video rental outlets in Centerville together handled 10,000 fewer video rentals in 1994 than in 1993. The decline in rentals was probably due almost entirely to the February 1994 opening of Videorama, the first and only video rental outlet in the area that, in addition to renting videos, also sold them cheaply.

Brad: There must be another explanation: as you yourself said, the decline was on the order of 10,000 rentals. Yet Videorama sold only 4,000 videos in 1994.

Which of the following, if true, would most seriously weaken the force of the objection that Brad presents to Jennifer's explanation?

(B) In 1994 two new outlets that rent but that do not sell videos opened in Centerville.
(C) Most of the video rental outlets in Centerville rent videos at a discount on certain nights of the week.
(D) People often buy videos of movies that they have previously seen in a theater.

Quote:
I marked the answer as A which differs from OA
SOme thing tells me that OA is not the right deduction as it is outside the scope of the argument
Some help desired!

Please press Kudos if you found this post helpful

Director
Director
GPA: 3.82
WE: Account Management (Retail Banking)

Show Tags

New post 14 Jul 2012, 15:44
Straight (E),
No.of videos sold is only 4000 but the decline was on the order of 1000 rentals means that the rentals are more than the purchase.
From where the other orders could have come from which is lost now?
lending from a friend !
(E) wins

" Make more efforts "
Press Kudos if you liked my post

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 15 Jul 2012, 03:51
This post received
KUDOS
maybeam wrote:

Quote:
SOme thing tells me that OA is not the right deduction as it is outside the scope of the argument
Some help desired!

"maybeam": in weakening question, you must deal with alternatives or disprove the structural premise-premise-conclusion relationship. you connect out side pertinent event to attack the argument that would be fine and logical, because your action is to hurt the argument.

the rewritable formate may be like this one

Jennifer:Video rental outlets industry in Centerville rented 10,000 fewer videos in 1994 than in 1993 for opening of Videorama( in 94'), the newly video rental outlet in the area that rent and sold videos cheaply.

Brad: the decrease in rental videos for overall industry is not for the opening the newly video rental outlet but for other reasons because it sold only 4,000 videos in 1994.

you must prove that videos sales decreases only for the the newly video rental outlet not for the other reasons or explanations..........right?

(A) In 1994 Videorama rented out more videos than it sold.---------the most tempting choice is this.say for total market sales for videos rental is fixed for the time. more videos rent means--may be 4001 or something that doesnot cover 10000 videos rental. mathmatics can be applied here X>-1 . IS X>0? WHAT IS your response? is there any clear cut answer here,NO, because both can be, same thing goes here.BCZ atleast one point is here to support BRAD's claim-----4000+4001=8001 that does not capture the figure discussed in the stimulus. ther might have some other explanation. so we can not take it as a weakening point.

(B) In 1994 two new outlets that rent but that do not sell videos opened in Centerville. ok good. two new outlets--although in stimulus it was said about opening one new outlet------rented more videos than sold. does it quantify any figure discussed in the stimulus? so how can we weak the argument?

(C) Most of the video rental outlets in Centerville rent videos at a discount on certain nights of the week. see the explanation in B- there is not quantifiable data for weakening the brad's claim.

(D) People often buy videos of movies that they have previously seen in a theater. so what? does it tell anything for reducing rental or sales of videos by newly outlet or by any other causes?

(E) People who own videos frequently loan them to their friends. this slightly shows a cause to reduce the overall industry videos sales for the time being. if 4000 videos are sold by the newly rented outlet, there must have possibility to spread out this copy to the fixed market ,as it is guessed, potential users this events ultimately reduced the overall rental service for industry.

though it is not cet percent justifiable. but you should not apply common myths in gmat. whatever discussed in gamt is right whether it happens in real world or not. the fact is find the best one from the five alternatives. i am ryte ? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
BSchool Forum Moderator
Concentration: International Business, Marketing
GMAT Date: 06-06-2014
GPA: 3.07
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 16 Jul 2012, 09:48
maybeam wrote:

Which of the following, if true, would most seriously weaken the force of the objectiron that Brad presents to Jennifer's explanation?

Quote:
Some help desired!

First, you must analyze the question stem: Which of following would most seriously weaken the force of the objection that Brad presents to Jennifer's explanation?

What is the objection of Brad? The decline was on the order of 10,000 rentals. Yet Videorama sold only 4,000 videos in 1994.

We must interpret this objection:

Brad want to object that the Videorama is not the direct cause of the decline in 10,000 rental. However, choice (E) the paradox here, the sale of 4,000 videos will indirectly affect the revenue of rentals when the video purchasers lend videos to their friends.

Rules for posting in verbal gmat forum, read it before posting anything in verbal forum
Giving me + 1 kudos if my post is valuable with you :)

The more you like my post, the more you share to other's need

CR: Focus of the Week: Must be True Question

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT Date: 08-30-2012
GPA: 2.64
WE: Research (Retail Banking)

Show Tags

New post 09 Aug 2012, 00:12
This post was
BOOKMARKED

after choice eliminations, I was left with choice A and B. Can someone please explain why answer choice E. is the correct answer? Thank you very much.
Re: Jennifer: Video rental outlets in Centerville together handled 10,000   [#permalink] 09 Aug 2012, 00:12

Go to page    1   2   3    Next  [ 55 posts ] 

Jennifer: Video rental outlets in Centerville together handled 10,000

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap