GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 22 Feb 2020, 23:57

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Johnson vs. Foster ($)

new topic post reply Update application status  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Intern
Intern
Johnson vs. Foster ($)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Jan 2020, 13:25
Hi everyone,

I was recently admitted to several MBA programs, and I think it is going to come down to Johnson or Foster. I have a very non-traditional background, and I'm looking to transition into asset management working specifically with endowments/foundations.

Johnson clearly has a better finance program with more students going into roles in IB and asset management, which might make it more competitive for someone with truly no experience in the field. That said, Foster also seems to have a solid finance department that might be under-utilized since the majority of graduates go into tech.

I'm from the West, and I would like to be in the PNW in the long-term (no Wall Street aspirations). Foster gave me in-state tuition and a small merit scholarship, bringing the cost/year down to ~$30k, but I'm finding myself drawn to the brand and prestige of Johnson despite the higher cost.

Help!
Founder
Founder
V
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Re: Johnson vs. Foster ($)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Jan 2020, 07:37
Hi and congrats on your first post on GMAT Club.

There is probably just a tad of difference in Johnson vs. Foster. Johnson places many on the East Coast where you do have a variety of IB/Finance positions. Seattle has a few too but mostly satellite offices of larger firms that do private client services. The reason Foster places into Tech is that it is mostly what's there in Seattle.... Have you found the firms you would be interested in working that are in Seattle?

P.S. I feel that Cornell has prestige rather than Johnson but that's perhaps my old school view. Johnson has been getting more into tech (the large area of growth for many MBA recruiting options). Let's see if Norgay can comment on Finance in Foster.

Show Tags

New post 05 Jan 2020, 17:50
bb most of the firms in Seattle are more boutique like Russell Investments, but I know JPM/Goldman/RBC have offices there too, though to your point, they may be more focused on client services.

You really don't think that Johnson has a demonstrable advantage over Foster in terms of rankings (15 vs. 21 in US News) and brand and finance-related opportunities?
Founder
Founder
V
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 05 Jan 2020, 20:30
Top 15 vs Top 21 is not that much difference for what you are looking at. I think you would definitely experience a difference in New York and if you wanted to recruit there.

I think Foster is not going to be super helpful with recruiting and you will have to recruit off campus and network on your own. Johnson will be more helpful for an internship (something to contend with) but your internship will strongly depend on what you will bring to the table for the employer and how much you will be networking since you will be competing with a bunch of folks for the NY finance internships.

PS. I think Johnson has more benefits to offer than Foster - larger class size, more resources, Ivy League undergrad, more on campus opportunities, better caliber of professors and students. Better prestige and alum loyalty. It is definitely something to contend with. How to value it, is a diff story :-)

Posted from my mobile device

Show Tags

New post 06 Jan 2020, 14:38
Johnson student here. I didn't recruit for finance but I think Johnson is a safer choice because most of the big banks in the East Coast recruits on campus, network effect for IB/Corp Fin is pretty impt.

Posted from my mobile device
Current Student
S
Schools: Foster '21 (M)

Show Tags

New post 06 Jan 2020, 17:52
Hey, I would prefer Johnson given its proximity to companies on the Eastside that hire for the roles you're interested in. PNW has only a couple of companies, of which I cannot think of any that does Asset Management, that industry is just not here. When it comes to Foster though, we have had hirings from companies such as Jp Morgan/Credit Suisse/Laird Nortan/Goldman Sachs/Russell Investments, but they mostly hire for private wealth or IB. I think going to Cornell would be a better option for you - you will have more resources to help you get an internship and most importantly a better network of people in your desired roles and companies. We definitely have a solid finance department, that might help you academically, but I cannot say if that would be important during the job search.
GMAT Club Bot
Johnson vs. Foster ($)   [#permalink] 06 Jan 2020, 17:52

Johnson vs. Foster ($)

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderators: billionaire, teleste