GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 25 May 2019, 22:56

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Johnson Vs Rice (80% Scholarship)

new topic post reply Update application status  

• 53% [8]
  • 46% [7]
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V30
GMAT 2: 730 Q49 V41
GPA: 4
WE: Operations (Energy and Utilities)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Johnson Vs Rice (80% Scholarship)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 May 2019, 21:33
I got acceptance from Johnson (with no Scholarship) & Rice (80% of Tuition per academic year). Post MBA industry is preferably Consulting but I would be open to exploring other options. Any advice is much appreciated!

Thanks
Admitted - Which School Forum Moderator
V
Concentration: Finance
Premium Member
Re: Johnson Vs Rice (80% Scholarship)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 May 2019, 05:44
Nicky14 wrote:
I got acceptance from Johnson (with no Scholarship) & Rice (80% of Tuition per academic year). Post MBA industry is preferably Consulting but I would be open to exploring other options. Any advice is much appreciated!

Thanks

Hello Nicky14

Congrats on admission to both schools :thumbup:

I do like Johnson as school and fact that it is Ivy league :cool:

And I do understand your dilemma, since you got 80% tuition from Rice ;)

Rice is a good school and Johnson and Rice are not that apart, if we consult US News, Johnson is 15. nationally vs. Rice being on 26. place :

https://www.usnews.com/best-graduate-sc ... a-rankings

However, since your goal is consulting, Johnson is unique because it offers a specialized consulting program, in-depth and immersive program that provides students with practical experience and contacts that will help them excel at top firms such as McKinsey, for instance:

https://www.businessbecause.com/news/be ... t-mckinsey

In top 25 MBA programs for getting a job at McKinsey, Bain and BCG, Cornell is again on list:

https://news.efinancialcareers.com/ch-e ... y-bain-bcg

Here are some figures for Cornell Consulting Class of 2017:

https://poetsandquants.com/2018/09/07/t ... ndustry/2/

Bottom line, Cornell is obviously at least in top 20 for hiring in Consulting and has consulting career path MBA program:

https://www.johnson.cornell.edu/Program ... ng-Program

You should go to Cornell ;) (you should not go with cheaper Rice option, that in longer run will reap much less benefits for you )

Good Luck :cool:
B
Schools: Stern '21 (A$)
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V38
GPA: 3.4

Show Tags

New post 16 May 2019, 07:38
I think it comes down to few points.

1. Your debt averse level
2. Your devotion to consulting (and back-up plan if it doesn't work out)
3. Your willingness to live in Texas/near Texas area

If you're 100% committed to consulting, Johnson is winner but if you're unsure and open to Texas industries and want to avoid debt, Rice is justifiable. Depends on your personal circumstances. 80% of tuition is fairly large amount.
Manager
Manager
B
Schools: Duke '21 (A)
GMAT 1: 730 Q46 V44
GPA: 3.7
WE: Sales (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)

Show Tags

New post 16 May 2019, 10:00
Would completely echo Ket310 and emphasize the Texas aspect. I view Rice as a real gem in terms of quality of students and strength of Rice brand for those "in the know." It is obviously hampered by size and scope, but it is a strong program.

My argument is if you want an outside shot at MBB consulting but fine with consulting generally and/or want to remain in the Northeast, go to Cornell.

If you are not 'MBB or bust' and would be fine with other areas of consulting, and are genuinely comfortable with a strong chance you'll end up in Texas, Rice makes sense.

The 'all things equal' argument is for Cornell, but the Rice argument given the above circumstances is a good one.

Congrats and good luck!
Founder
Founder
V
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 16 May 2019, 21:47
Congrats on your admits. I always recommend to international folks to take the scholarship opportunity as paying $150K in tuition and another $50K in living expenses is HARD to pull off. Some of course believe the opposite and that international students need the best shot they can get and thus a higher-ranked MBA program is better. Johnson is technically Ivv league due to the Cornell's (undergrad) standing.... Depends if you are on the aggressive or defensive side i guess. Also depends if you are planning to stay in the US or go back (not sure how many people know about Rice/Jones in India)... but Rice college is pretty famous as an undergrad institution in the US as well and has strong Oil & Gas network with Houston being strong in that (though it's been a few touch years for the Energy industry).

Having said that, consulting is going to be a competitive industry and likely a better opportunity at Johnson but only a number of consulting companies sponsor and hire internationals so that makes the competition even tighter. None of the international folks I have been in touch this year got Consulting internships for example. If you feel like consulting or bust type of thing, then sure, Johnson is the better program but if you are looking for an opportunity not to save $130K, and not to have a $2k/month student loan payment after you graduate, Jones is starting to look very attractive. At the same time, job opportunities will be more likely to come by via on campus recruiting at Johnson - you are paying for a better name, better classmates, better experience, prestige, and on-campus recruiting with a variety of clubs and treks and alum network that spans the globe. It all depends if you feel bullish or bearish about yourself ;-)

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here...
New! OG2020 Directory !
Want to know application stats & Profiles from last year? Check the Decision Tracker

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests
SVP
SVP
V
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 18 May 2019, 16:05
Nicky14 wrote:

Thanks

You have many advice above and I agree with them all. However, I would urge you to connect to current international students in Rice and talk with about your aspiration and how school could help you. You will get almost real picture of the situation.
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 21 May 2019, 06:39
I suggest Johnson.

There's a fairly large difference between a top 10, top 15 and top 25 program in terms of quality, career support and placement post-MBA. Johnson as a top 15 program with fairly good historic placement should help better than Rice, which is more of a regional program. Rice has a great Texas presence, but it's hard to say how good their international student placement is....where as Johnson is well versed in placing int'l students in consulting. If you had been a local Texas applicant, it would have been a tougher decision, but as an int'l Johnson will serve you better.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Johnson Vs Rice (80% Scholarship)   [#permalink] 21 May 2019, 06:39

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderators: billionaire, Wilch, teleste

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap