Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 13:33 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 13:33

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel

Johnson Vs Rice (80% Scholarship)

You may select 1 option
Tags:
Find Similar Topics  Add a Tag
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
GPA: 4
WE:Operations (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 501 [1]
Given Kudos: 72
Concentration: Finance
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V38
GPA: 3.4
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Schools: Duke '21 (M$)
GMAT 1: 730 Q46 V44
GPA: 3.7
WE:Sales (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Send PM
Re: Johnson Vs Rice (80% Scholarship) [#permalink]
Would completely echo Ket310 and emphasize the Texas aspect. I view Rice as a real gem in terms of quality of students and strength of Rice brand for those "in the know." It is obviously hampered by size and scope, but it is a strong program.

My argument is if you want an outside shot at MBB consulting but fine with consulting generally and/or want to remain in the Northeast, go to Cornell.

If you are not 'MBB or bust' and would be fine with other areas of consulting, and are genuinely comfortable with a strong chance you'll end up in Texas, Rice makes sense.

The 'all things equal' argument is for Cornell, but the Rice argument given the above circumstances is a good one.

Congrats and good luck!
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72886 [0]
Given Kudos: 18867
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Expert Reply
Congrats on your admits. I always recommend to international folks to take the scholarship opportunity as paying $150K in tuition and another $50K in living expenses is HARD to pull off. Some of course believe the opposite and that international students need the best shot they can get and thus a higher-ranked MBA program is better. Johnson is technically Ivv league due to the Cornell's (undergrad) standing.... Depends if you are on the aggressive or defensive side i guess. Also depends if you are planning to stay in the US or go back (not sure how many people know about Rice/Jones in India)... but Rice college is pretty famous as an undergrad institution in the US as well and has strong Oil & Gas network with Houston being strong in that (though it's been a few touch years for the Energy industry).

Having said that, consulting is going to be a competitive industry and likely a better opportunity at Johnson but only a number of consulting companies sponsor and hire internationals so that makes the competition even tighter. None of the international folks I have been in touch this year got Consulting internships for example. If you feel like consulting or bust type of thing, then sure, Johnson is the better program but if you are looking for an opportunity not to save $130K, and not to have a $2k/month student loan payment after you graduate, Jones is starting to look very attractive. At the same time, job opportunities will be more likely to come by via on campus recruiting at Johnson - you are paying for a better name, better classmates, better experience, prestige, and on-campus recruiting with a variety of clubs and treks and alum network that spans the globe. It all depends if you feel bullish or bearish about yourself ;-)
RSM Erasmus Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1360 [0]
Given Kudos: 641
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
Schools: Erasmus (II)
Send PM
Nicky14 wrote:
I got acceptance from Johnson (with no Scholarship) & Rice (80% of Tuition per academic year). Post MBA industry is preferably Consulting but I would be open to exploring other options. Any advice is much appreciated!

Thanks

You have many advice above and I agree with them all. However, I would urge you to connect to current international students in Rice and talk with about your aspiration and how school could help you. You will get almost real picture of the situation.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 69 [1]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Kudos
I suggest Johnson.

There's a fairly large difference between a top 10, top 15 and top 25 program in terms of quality, career support and placement post-MBA. Johnson as a top 15 program with fairly good historic placement should help better than Rice, which is more of a regional program. Rice has a great Texas presence, but it's hard to say how good their international student placement is....where as Johnson is well versed in placing int'l students in consulting. If you had been a local Texas applicant, it would have been a tougher decision, but as an int'l Johnson will serve you better.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Admitted - Which School Forum Moderator
1131 posts