It is currently 17 Aug 2017, 02:31

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Just Took The GMAT, What Are My Chances Of Getting Into McCombs?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 3

Schools: McCombs '20
GMAT 1: 680 Q43 V41
GPA: 3.42
Reviews Badge
Just Took The GMAT, What Are My Chances Of Getting Into McCombs? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 May 2016, 13:25
So I'm not looking for hard probabilities and I promise I won't hold anyone to what they say, I'm just looking for a broad "Yea it's possible" to "No you are stupid for even considering it".

3.4 GPA from the University of Arizona in Accounting
4 Years of employment experience with management experience
GMAT 680 with 41V 43Q 7IR
Not a minority by any means
Will probably write a good essay and have middle of the pack letters of rec

I wouldn't apply until next year, but I'm only going to attend if it's a top 20 school.

What are you thoughts? Is it worth applying or am I stupid for thinking I could get in?

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Concentration: General Management, Social Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.3
WE: Corporate Finance (Energy and Utilities)
Re: Just Took The GMAT, What Are My Chances Of Getting Into McCombs? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 May 2016, 14:08
laytonjacobcox wrote:
So I'm not looking for hard probabilities and I promise I won't hold anyone to what they say, I'm just looking for a broad "Yea it's possible" to "No you are stupid for even considering it".

3.4 GPA from the University of Arizona in Accounting
4 Years of employment experience with management experience
GMAT 680 with 41V 43Q 7IR
Not a minority by any means
Will probably write a good essay and have middle of the pack letters of rec

I wouldn't apply until next year, but I'm only going to attend if it's a top 20 school.

What are you thoughts? Is it worth applying or am I stupid for thinking I could get in?

Without knowing the details, I'd say there's always a chance, but I'd retake the GMAT for a higher score, if I were you.

Current Student

Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 700 Q48 V38
Re: Just Took The GMAT, What Are My Chances Of Getting Into McCombs? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 May 2016, 15:24
Looks like you have a great Verbal score. Yet, I would take the GMAT again to bring your Quant score up. If you have spent 4 years in accounting, you can handle the math - you probably just need to learn some of the tricks. Having over a 700 will increase your chances by a ton. Look into test prep books and websites.

You also need to write more than a good essay, you need to write a REALLY AMAZING one! Once you score over 700, start writing and re-writing and re-writing. Campus visits and informational interviews with current student, alumni, and admission staff are also a very good idea.

ballpark chances right now: maybe less than 25% ~ but don't think of applying to B-School in term of chances, you need to do a lot of research to determine which schools would be best for you, and give them your best. I'm sure you can get in with a 680, but over 700 will show schools you are interested, and then blow them away with an amazing essay.

Hopes this helps & good luck!

Current Student
B

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 87

GMAT 1: 690 Q45 V39
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 03 May 2016, 05:39
You have an average chance of getting in with a well executed application. The thing that I learned through the process was that higher GMAT = scholarship money. I was naive about this going into my apps. Was scoring 720 on mocks and ended up with a low score on test day. With no time to retake before application deadlines, I had to apply with a 690. I got into most of the programs I applied to, but I know that if I scored a 720 or better, I may have gotten better scholarship offers.

I would advise you to retake before applying. A higher score can only help. I am retaking the exam next month for recruiting purposes.

Intern
Intern

Schools: McCombs '20
GMAT 1: 680 Q43 V41
GPA: 3.42
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 03 May 2016, 08:42
PugLyfe wrote:
You have an average chance of getting in with a well executed application. The thing that I learned through the process was that higher GMAT = scholarship money. I was naive about this going into my apps. Was scoring 720 on mocks and ended up with a low score on test day. With no time to retake before application deadlines, I had to apply with a 690. I got into most of the programs I applied to, but I know that if I scored a 720 or better, I may have gotten better scholarship offers.

I would advise you to retake before applying. A higher score can only help. I am retaking the exam next month for recruiting purposes.

I would be an in-state student for McCombs which would dramatically lower my overall costs. I would pull the trigger with or without scholarships.

I'm in no rush. I'm only 25 and could apply next year and see if I get in or not. If I don't, I retake the gmat, break 700, and then reapply at age 27. Do you think this is a good idea?

Current Student
B

GMAT 1: 690 Q45 V39
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 03 May 2016, 09:55
laytonjacobcox wrote:
PugLyfe wrote:

I would be an in-state student for McCombs which would dramatically lower my overall costs. I would pull the trigger with or without scholarships.

I'm in no rush. I'm only 25 and could apply next year and see if I get in or not. If I don't, I retake the gmat, break 700, and then reapply at age 27. Do you think this is a good idea?

In state tuition certainly helps. My advice is to shoot for 720+ and try to improve your quant. With a solid quant score and the same v score, you will be in great shape. I would do this now before the application cycle this coming fall. No reason to wait another year. I had about 2-3 weeks between completing the GMAT and submitting my applications and it was not optimal :lol: Obviously without knowing more about your work exp (industry) and EC's etc, its hard to know what your true odds are. However, the one thing we are all in control of is our GMAT score. Higher score = better odds no matter how you slice it.

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 19

Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V38

Show Tags

New post 04 May 2016, 07:14
Being an in-state student I would say you have a very good chance assuming rest of your profile is good and you have something unique to present in your essays. Obviously a better score improves your chances and since you have time you may want to retake the GMAT. A 680 can get you in, but a 700+ will get you scholarships. This is true for all top 20 schools.

--------

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 19

Re: Just Took The GMAT, What Are My Chances Of Getting Into McCombs?   [#permalink] 04 May 2016, 07:14