It is currently 17 Dec 2017, 17:30

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Kelley MBA Admission and Related Blogs

new topic post reply Update application status  
Expert Post
MBA Section Director
P
Affiliations: GMAT Club

Kudos [?]: 3864 [0], given: 2465

City: Pune
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
GPA: 3.4
WE: Business Development (Manufacturing)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Kelley MBA Admission and Related Blogs [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Jul 2017, 22:32

Kudos [?]: 3864 [0], given: 2465

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

Kelley MBAs Demonstrate Collaboration is Key [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Aug 2017, 11:01
This post was
BOOKMARKED
FROM Kelley MBA Blog: Kelley MBAs Demonstrate Collaboration is Key
This past June more than 1,300 Consortium for Graduate Study in Management students, alumni, and corporate partners gathered in Atlanta for the 51st Annual Orientation Program & Career Forum. Kelley, 1 of 3 founding members of the Consortium, was a proud participant at the event, which offered students key career building advice from top schools and corporations. The Consortium is the largest diversity network for MBA students at 19 schools across the country. It also provides merit-based scholarships for students from underrepresented groups, as well as others who demonstrate a commitment to the Consortium’s mission of enhancing diversity in business education and leadership.

At this year’s Consortium awards dinner during the event, the Kelley School of Business Classes of 2017 and 2018 were given special recognition for their collaboration and coaching efforts that stood above and beyond. The Together Everyone Achieves More, T.E.A.M., Award celebrates the accomplishments of these Kelley MBA students and illustrates their commitment to the Kelley value of succeeding together rather than going it alone. Special credit can be directed to our 2017 MBA graduates, Erica Smith and Kelly Fryer. Our MBAs’ win has prefaced a lot of excitement and forward momentum for the incoming Kelley Consortium Class of 2019, which is our largest class to date with 31 new Consortium MBAs.
Normal 0 false false false EN-US X-NONE X-NONE
To learn more about Kelley’s history as a founding member of the Consortium, visit: https://kelleyconsortium50.indiana.edu/.
ForumBlogs - GMAT Club’s latest feature blends timely Blog entries with forum discussions. Now GMAT Club Forums incorporate all relevant information from Student, Admissions blogs, Twitter, and other sources in one place. You no longer have to check and follow dozens of blogs, just subscribe to the relevant topics and forums on GMAT club or follow the posters and you will get email notifications when something new is posted. Add your blog to the list! and be featured to over 300,000 unique monthly visitors

Manager
Manager

Honor Outstanding Kelley MBA with Kelley Coin [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Nov 2017, 08:01
FROM Kelley MBA Blog: Honor Outstanding Kelley MBA with Kelley Coin
The Kelley Coin honors Kelley MBA students, alumni, faculty, and staff who embody Kelley's values.

Dustin Brown, MBA'18
Challenge coins, or coins to honor acts of duty, have been used for centuries, all the way back to ancient Rome as a formal means of recognition. The first examples of these coins in the United States date back to World War I, as a bronze medallion that had had the flying squadron’s insignia stamped on the front. In modern times, these coins are still used by many government branches and the use has extended in to the public sector with firms like Ernst & Young adopting them to recognize exemplary employees.

Following the lead of the Kelley Undergraduate Program, the Kelley Full-Time MBA Program will soon have their own version of the coin. The Kelley Coin will be given to students, alumni, faculty, and staff who exemplify the Kelley values of excellence, professionalism, collaboration, leadership, and integrity.

Once an individual has been nominated for a coin, the nomination will be passed by the Kelley Coin Graduate Committee for review. The committee consists of a member of the MBAA slate, a CRC (Conduct Review Committee) member, the MBA Program Chair, the Executive Director of the MBA Program, the Director of Student Services, the Associate Director of MBA Outreach, and a member of the Graduate Career Services Team. If a nomination passes through the committee, the individual will be presented with a coin.

Any Kelley MBA student, alumni, faculty, or staff member can nominate another Kelley at any time. The committee will meet quarterly to review submissions and ultimately award the coin after submissions are discussed and evaluated. The Kelley Coin will officially be introduced on December 13 at the final TTAC (Third Thursday After Class) social event of the year.

To learn more about the Kelley Coin, please email mbaa@indiana.edu for details or watch the Undergraduate Program video.
ForumBlogs - GMAT Club’s latest feature blends timely Blog entries with forum discussions. Now GMAT Club Forums incorporate all relevant information from Student, Admissions blogs, Twitter, and other sources in one place. You no longer have to check and follow dozens of blogs, just subscribe to the relevant topics and forums on GMAT club or follow the posters and you will get email notifications when something new is posted. Add your blog to the list! and be featured to over 300,000 unique monthly visitors

Manager
Manager

Program Update for Kelley MBA Alumni [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Nov 2017, 08:01
FROM Kelley MBA Blog: Program Update for Kelley MBA Alumni
Kyle Cattani
MBA Program Chair
It has been my pleasure to have been teaching in the Kelley Full-Time MBA Program since 2005, with many of those years in the core teaching Operations Management. From Benihana, to Timbuk2, to The Goal, I’ve enjoyed sharing my passion for OM with smart, engaging students. For the last few years—ever since the retirement of the legendary Wayne Winston—I have been teaching spreadsheet modeling. I’m no Wayne Winston, but I’ve learned a few Excel tricks.

As many of you know, I was appointed Program Chair of the program in July 2016, taking over the reins from Jonlee Andrews. I am honored and thrilled to be in this position. Jonlee left a great legacy and I have been doing what I can to build on her efforts.

It has been a busy year! Last year, Professor Scott Smart and I chaired a faculty task force to review the MBA Program and we are working to implement the task force recommendations which fall into four broad categories:
  • Develop a Pipeline of Strong Students
  • Refresh Course Offerings
  • Enhance/Reinforce Kelley’s Strength as a Collaborative/Supportive Environment for Career Switchers
  • Engage MBA Alumni
Sarah Nagelvoort, MBA'15
MBA Alumni Director
I am pleased to report that in response to the last category, we hired a full-time MBA Alumni Director, Sarah Nagelvoort, MBA'15. Sarah focuses solely on full-time MBA alumni relationships and acts as a liaison between the MBA Office, the Alumni Office, and Graduate Career Services. She strives to increase alumni awareness of benefits as well as keeping our alumni informed about current MBA initiatives. MBA alumni can expect to hear from Sarah often as she keeps you informed on our progress—this is the first of what we plan as a quarterly alumni email.

I appreciate all that you do for the MBA Program. It is great to see you on campus interviewing and participating in alumni events. Please stop in and say hello when you are here!

Kyle Cattani
MBA Program Chair, Kelley School of Business
Associate Professor and E-II Faculty Fellow
Operations & Decision Technologies

Manager
Manager

How MBA Alumni Can Get Involved in Academies [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Dec 2017, 10:01
FROM Kelley MBA Blog: How MBA Alumni Can Get Involved in Academies

The innovative Academies are an integral part of the Kelley MBA experience. Academies have continued to evolve over the years to meet student and industry needs. Alumni play a critical role in the success of Academies. They speak at Academy Days, host students at their companies, and sponsor student projects.

Are you a Kelley MBA alum who wants to get involved with Academies? Please fill out this short form and we'll work with you to find the right opportunity.

Click on each first-year Academy to read its newsletter and discover more mays to connect.

Manager
Manager

Become the Person You Were Meant to Be [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Dec 2017, 10:01
FROM Kelley MBA Blog: Become the Person You Were Meant to Be
by Eric Johnson, Executive Director Kelley Graduate Career Services
George Eliot* has been credited with saying, "It's never too late to become the person you were always meant to be."

This is good news for people like me, who aspire one day to be Matthew McConaughey.

I reflect on this quote every morning, without fail. It’s part of my daily practice of morning meditation and mental preparation. I feel inspired afterward because it keeps my value of continuous improvement alive and it reminds me that today presents a new opportunity to evolve towards the best possible version of myself.

I have also found that Eliot’s quote helps me give hope to others. In my job as a career and leadership coach, I assist young leaders in their pursuit of their best selves, particularly as it relates to navigating personal transition. Remembering that our past does not forever define who we are is an extremely important step in that process.

As I coach myself and young leaders on this journey towards our best selves we work through three big questions. The first is, “who are you today?” Being honest with ourselves about who we are today heightens our self-awareness and allows for a deep understanding of what we don’t want change, where we hope to evolve, and why. In exploring who we are today, we focus on five main areas:
  • Personality: While there are a number of personality assessments available the one we use at the Kelley School of Business is the Keirsey Temperament Sorter. Personality does not define us, but it does help us understand our natural default settings with regards to how we like to give and receive information and how we prefer to relate to others.
  • Skills: Knowing our strengths and weaknesses, and how these make us both unique and relevant, helps us begin to recognize the situations in which we provide the most impact to others. Gallup has a good tool for this, Strengthsfinder, though often we’ll just spend an hour using contextual examples to develop a personal SWOT. 
  • Interests: If we’re not interested in what we’re doing then we’ll lack the motivation to do it well. Questions like, “What do other people find interesting about you?” and “What’s one of the first things you bring up about yourselves when meeting people for the first time?” are useful conversation starters as we dig into this area.
  • Values: There may be no more important part of the discussion than when we talk about values. Values are our guardrails – I believe they provide us with our greatest motivation and the greatest amount of personal insight. I also notice that when we are at our happiest our values are being honored, and when we are angry, sad, or frustrated our values are being compromised. My favorite tool to start this conversation is the Via Character Strengths free assessment. 
  • Demeanor: Who you are is, at least in small part, shaped by how you present yourself. I love the questions, “How would your closest friends describe your general outlook on life?” and “What 3-5 words do you want people to say about you when you leave a room?”
Synthesizing these five areas into a personal inventory sheet provides an enormous amount of insight. We can see who we are, where we’re happy, what we hope to change, and why. This sets us up for our second big question, “Who do I want to be?” I share Reid Hoffman and Ben Casnocha’s view that we were not born with a single purpose for our life, but that our purpose constantly evolves over time. The key is to have a great short-term (i.e. 1-3 years, not 10) personal vision that makes you happy and helps you see where you can provide unique value to your community (as you define it). This vision should also inspire you to take action.

Again, there are any number of resources to develop a personal vision and I often use The Personal Compass from The Grove. Whatever the tool we choose, the output should provide a clear, concise, and motivating statement about who we want to become – our personal vision statement. It should highlight the things we hope to accomplish, the relationships we wish to build/maintain, the environment we hope to exist within, and the ways in which we will experience joy. I have mine hanging in my office, and I ask my coachees to keep theirs visible as well, such that we don’t lose focus on who we’re trying to be.

Finally, the third big question is, “How are you going to get there?” With a clear and concise vision – and a heightened sense of self – we can begin to make choices about what we will do (and what we will not do) to consciously and deliberately improve ourselves. The key is deliberate – focused effort and attention on the experiences which will provide us with the greatest momentum towards our personal vision. (Check out one of my favorite blogger’s take on deliberate practice.) This is not easy, but what I’ve learned is two things: we must focus on a single issue at a time and we have to practice daily.

Focusing on a single issue at a time might be the most important step towards attaining our best selves. Data shows that between 80 and 90% of New Year’s resolutions fail and the primary reason is because people try to change too many things at once. I like James Clear’s advice to focus on one area for improvement and stick with it until it becomes a habit. I have been implementing this strategy personally over the last year and have been more consistent about working out, reading, improving my skills through training, and being positive all by focusing on one aspect of my personal vision at a time.

Finally, I believe the only way to “become the person we were meant to be” is to move forward one day at a time, deriving as much out of the present as possible. I mentioned that I meditate each morning – I take time to notice how I feel and what I think, and to make a commitment to the one thing I want to focus on that day. I will stay conscious of that one thing throughout the day and journal about what I notice. Each night I’ll take 10 minutes to reflect on how I did and to make notes for tomorrow. This practice worked for Benjamin Franklin – he tracked his progress across 13 virtues by focusing on one each day and journaling about his progress, too.

Which brings me back to Eliot’s quote – I close out my morning mental session by reminding myself that it really is never too late to become the person we were always meant to be. I personally find that an inspiring thing to remember as I start each new day.

*The irony of the fact that George was not George at all is not lost on me. George Eliot was a pen name used by author Mary Ann Evans to ensure that her works were taken seriously. I will also acknowledge that there is some debate about Eliot’s exact phrasing about the quote, but the essence is the same across the board. 

Become the Person You Were Meant to Be   [#permalink] 14 Dec 2017, 10:01

Kelley MBA Admission and Related Blogs

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderator: abhimahna

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap