GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 23 Feb 2020, 18:24

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Kenan-Flagler vs McDonough

new topic post reply Update application status  

• 64% [9]
  • 35% [5]
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Current Student
Kenan-Flagler vs McDonough  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Apr 2019, 11:38
Hi.

I was lucky to be admitted to McDonough and I'm on a waitlist for Kenan-Flagler. In case I also receive an invitation from Kenan-Flagler, I and my wife are debating over these 2 schools.

I have worked in finance for about 8 years and I would like to get a job in IB after MBA. I'm an international student and I guess it might not be easy to get myself into IB. At least, I want to get a job in Finance post-MBA. I've checked an employment placement report from both schools and they are pretty much similar in terms of financial services.

I'm leaning toward McDonough. I feel like my wife will have more job opportunity in DC and my family will have more fun in the area. However, the cost of living is high and the school is ranked lower than Kenan-Flagler.

My wife feels that Kenan-Flagler is better for my job finding because it is ranked higher in 19(but I am not sure if it makes any difference when McDonough is ranked in 24). She does not prefer living in a big city area. I heard that UNC faculty is great and Chapel Hill is a safe place for a family to live. Also, the cost of living is very reasonable. However, I do not think that they’ll have a lot of job openings for my wife.

I would appreciate any comments or advice.

Thanks.
Current Student
S
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GRE 1: Q160 V160
Reviews Badge
Re: Kenan-Flagler vs McDonough  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Apr 2019, 12:31
Depends on what your wife's line of work is in, but the Raleigh-Durham area definitely has job opportunities and has a growing economy. DC is of course a much more populous city, but it's not like Research Triangle is in the middle of nowhere. It is a good place to raise a family. That aside, school wise, UNC is a tier ahead of Georgetown. Sure 5 spots isn't a huge difference, but the Kenan-Flagler program is more well-rounded than McDonough. You'll get the same finance roles from both schools. I would choose UNC hands down here.
Current Student
B
Schools: Stern '21 (A$)
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V38
GPA: 3.4

Show Tags

New post 01 Apr 2019, 12:43
If you want an IB, KF definitely wins. I went to KF for master of accounting, and from my conversations to MBAs there, IB Charlotte positions recruit fair amount from UNC. But, where do Georgetown people go for I-banking? If you fail out of I-banking, then... I don't see crazy difference but KF is slightly better. But, you have to get out of waitlist first. Any game plan to make that happen?
MBA Section Director
V
Affiliations: GMATClub
GPA: 4
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 02 Apr 2019, 02:05
If you want to know more information about McDonough, you can reach out to a Gnpth who is a current student at McDonough.

Also, check the following posts from him

https://gmatclub.com/forum/a-day-in-lif ... 92145.html
https://gmatclub.com/forum/mcdonough-cl ... l#p2251997

Show Tags

New post 02 Apr 2019, 11:22
I guess the majority of people think that UNC is a better choice.

Thank you very much for all your comments!
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Kenan-Flagler vs McDonough   [#permalink] 02 Apr 2019, 11:22

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderators: billionaire, teleste