GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 15 Oct 2019, 04:29

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Kudos Points on GMATClub Forum

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
SVP
SVP
User avatar
Status: Nothing comes easy: neither do I want.
Joined: 12 Oct 2009
Posts: 2496
Location: Malaysia
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
Schools: ISB '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V31
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35
Reviews Badge
Re: Kudos Points on GMATClub Forum  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Apr 2010, 16:01
2
Even with 200 posts , there should be some limit of kudos, what if a person just say welcome to forum and thanks for this in every post....Some contribution is must atleast 10 kudos
_________________
Fight for your dreams :For all those who fear from Verbal- lets give it a fight

Money Saved is the Money Earned :)

Jo Bole So Nihaal , Sat Shri Akaal

:thanks Support GMAT Club by putting a GMAT Club badge on your blog/Facebook :thanks

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Gmat test review :
http://gmatclub.com/forum/670-to-710-a-long-journey-without-destination-still-happy-141642.html
Founder
Founder
User avatar
V
Joined: 04 Dec 2002
Posts: 18199
Location: United States (WA)
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Kudos Points on GMATClub Forum  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Apr 2010, 16:03
gurpreetsingh wrote:
Even with 200 posts , there should be some limit of kudos, what if a person just say welcome to forum and thanks for this in every post....Some contribution is must atleast 10 kudos



I like the idea. However, I am not sure if we need to fix what I don't think is broken.

90 days is a decent deterrent.
We catch most of the junk posters as many mods review forums and catch the slick guys. not to say we don't have any junk (a conversation of its own) but usually we are able to whack it. (there is an easy admin button to delete one's all posts ;) )

However, I do think we should overhaul the kudos system
_________________
Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here...

Discover Your Admit Options with Decision Tracker Filters!
Current Student
avatar
Joined: 05 Jan 2010
Posts: 374
Re: Kudos Points on GMATClub Forum  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Apr 2010, 16:59
1
bb, overhaul in what way? Much along the lines of your questioning why you should fix something that isn't broken... why overhaul something that isnt utilized? Is the goal to get people to give more kudos? Is it to create a more accurate picture of which users are adding value to the forum, perhaps by scrapping the +1 system altogether? Some measure of search engine click-thrus (I think a good number of us found this site through a tangentially-related Google search) plus something else (admittedly probably not implementable)? Some sort of mod-superior or mod-exclusive kudos system (has its own issues)?

Posted from my mobile device
Founder
Founder
User avatar
V
Joined: 04 Dec 2002
Posts: 18199
Location: United States (WA)
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Kudos Points on GMATClub Forum  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Apr 2010, 17:08
2
coakleym wrote:
bb, overhaul in what way? Much along the lines of your questioning why you should fix something that isn't broken... why overhaul something that isnt utilized? Is the goal to get people to give more kudos? Is it to create a more accurate picture of which users are adding value to the forum, perhaps by scrapping the +1 system altogether? Some measure of search engine click-thrus (I think a good number of us found this site through a tangentially-related Google search) plus something else (admittedly probably not implementable)? Some sort of mod-superior or mod-exclusive kudos system (has its own issues)?

Posted from my mobile device



Thank you for raising the questions.
I think the Kudos system has a lot of potential but has been on a back burner for a long time. We are not having too many issues with junk posts for the sake of tests access (that does not need fixing) but at the same time, we are not using it as a driver of this community - i have seen others that have much more centered their forums around Kudos/points/etc.

Main reasons to tinker:
1. I think it can be more than it is today :0
2. I'd like an easy project to complete in a few weeks in contrast to my day job where it takes months and years to get through things
3. We do need to reward/punish people better
4. Give control to people to identify good content

A lot of it is speculation but we won't know until we try.
This is not highest on my priority list but up there. If you think there is a better use of my/admins time, feel free to PM me. I will be more than happy to put your idea into fruition or even better, put you at the help of its design (if you want to of course).
_________________
Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here...

Discover Your Admit Options with Decision Tracker Filters!
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 14 Apr 2010
Posts: 69
Re: Kudos Points on GMATClub Forum  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Apr 2010, 17:10
bb wrote:
strikethree wrote:
Why just 90 days after membership?

50 is hard enough, plus we're given a time limit?

Just like the GMAT... :roll:


The way it works is:
1. 200 posts and at least 90 days
2. 100 posts and 25 kudos (no time limit)
3. 50 Kudos (no time limit)

If you get 50 kudos in the next week (not sure how you would do it, you will get access).
However, if it is based only on posts, then there is a 90-day waiting period.


Oh... Did you recently edit the rules?

My apologizes, I could have sworn I read "50 kudos within 90 days".

Am I seeing things?
Founder
Founder
User avatar
V
Joined: 04 Dec 2002
Posts: 18199
Location: United States (WA)
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Kudos Points on GMATClub Forum  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Apr 2010, 17:14
strikethree wrote:
bb wrote:
strikethree wrote:
Why just 90 days after membership?

50 is hard enough, plus we're given a time limit?

Just like the GMAT... :roll:


The way it works is:
1. 200 posts and at least 90 days
2. 100 posts and 25 kudos (no time limit)
3. 50 Kudos (no time limit)

If you get 50 kudos in the next week (not sure how you would do it, you will get access).
However, if it is based only on posts, then there is a 90-day waiting period.


Oh... Did you recently edit the rules?

My apologizes, I could have sworn I read "50 kudos within 90 days".

Am I seeing things?



Don't think so, the rules are here: http://gmatclub.com/blog/free-gmat-test ... b-members/

Sometimes there is an assumption that 90 days applies to all of the options, but it does not.
We used NOT to have the 90-day requirement before but that lead to too much junk posts and one-liners (which we still have quite a few of those in the question forums but that's tolerable there).
_________________
Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here...

Discover Your Admit Options with Decision Tracker Filters!
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 21 Apr 2010
Posts: 1
Location: Stillwater, OK
Schools: OSU
Re: Kudos Points on GMATClub Forum  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 May 2010, 12:22
Dear BB,
I am just curious about your GMAT score. How long did it take you to study GMAT to score 750? Did you get 750 for the first test? I haven't seen anybody who has higher score than yours. To get 750 on the GMAT test is like mission impossible for me. :-D
Thank you for your answer.
Founder
Founder
User avatar
V
Joined: 04 Dec 2002
Posts: 18199
Location: United States (WA)
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Kudos Points on GMATClub Forum  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 May 2010, 16:12
cityhunter wrote:
Dear BB,
I am just curious about your GMAT score. How long did it take you to study GMAT to score 750? Did you get 750 for the first test? I haven't seen anybody who has higher score than yours. To get 750 on the GMAT test is like mission impossible for me. :-D
Thank you for your answer.


There are plenty of people with a higher score :)
99-ile-clubbers-add-your-name-to-the-list-77041.html

Here is my suggestion and study plan:
gmat-study-plan-for-gmat-novices-start-your-gmat-journey-80727.html
_________________
Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here...

Discover Your Admit Options with Decision Tracker Filters!
Founder
Founder
User avatar
V
Joined: 04 Dec 2002
Posts: 18199
Location: United States (WA)
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Kudos Points on GMATClub Forum  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Jul 2010, 10:06
1
You may have noticed - we have made a [strike]slight[/strike] huge improvement into the Kudos system - now every time you get a Kudo (or Kudos), you will get an email notification with the link to the post and also the person who awarded you Kudos. Thus allowing you to know

1) Which of your posts are truly fantastic (and which are just plain fantastic)
2) If you have any secret admirers and such


P.S. We are working on the unsubscribe feature next 8-)
_________________
Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here...

Discover Your Admit Options with Decision Tracker Filters!
SVP
SVP
User avatar
Status: Nothing comes easy: neither do I want.
Joined: 12 Oct 2009
Posts: 2496
Location: Malaysia
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
Schools: ISB '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V31
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35
Reviews Badge
Re: Kudos Points on GMATClub Forum  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Jul 2010, 17:21
wow great feature....:)
_________________
Fight for your dreams :For all those who fear from Verbal- lets give it a fight

Money Saved is the Money Earned :)

Jo Bole So Nihaal , Sat Shri Akaal

:thanks Support GMAT Club by putting a GMAT Club badge on your blog/Facebook :thanks

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Gmat test review :
http://gmatclub.com/forum/670-to-710-a-long-journey-without-destination-still-happy-141642.html
SVP
SVP
User avatar
Status: Three Down.
Joined: 09 Jun 2010
Posts: 1827
Concentration: General Management, Nonprofit
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Kudos Points on GMATClub Forum  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Jul 2010, 17:48
bb wrote:
You may have noticed - we have made a [strike]slight[/strike] huge improvement into the Kudos system - now every time you get a Kudo (or Kudos), you will get an email notification with the link to the post and also the person who awarded you Kudos. Thus allowing you to know

1) Which of your posts are truly fantastic (and which are just plain fantastic)
2) If you have any secret admirers and such


P.S. We are working on the unsubscribe feature next 8-)


And there I was wondering why I was suddenly getting kudos email. ;)

Nice job, though, guys.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 23 Jun 2010
Posts: 23
Re: Kudos Points on GMATClub Forum  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Aug 2010, 14:46
Yea I had a similar question on whether I could undo a Kudos. Guess not.
_________________
-DK
---------------------------------------------------------
If you like what you read then give a Kudos! :-)
Diagnostic Test: 620
The past is a guidepost, not a hitching post.
---------------------------------------------------------
Founder
Founder
User avatar
V
Joined: 04 Dec 2002
Posts: 18199
Location: United States (WA)
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Kudos Points on GMATClub Forum  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Aug 2010, 21:28
deeptikachalia wrote:
Yea I had a similar question on whether I could undo a Kudos. Guess not.


Sorry, no :)
_________________
Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here...

Discover Your Admit Options with Decision Tracker Filters!
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 15 Aug 2010
Posts: 8
Re: Kudos Points on GMATClub Forum  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Aug 2010, 04:27
1
Just curious!

Ever seen someone misusing the Kudos to gain test access??
Say for example, a group of friends all started giving kudos to each other just to reach the target of 50. :)

Or say, one fake email id, giving kudos to whatever post some user makes.

Cheers!

**********************
Kudos me if you like this post :)
CIO
CIO
avatar
Joined: 02 Oct 2007
Posts: 1188
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Kudos Points on GMATClub Forum  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Aug 2010, 04:31
Of course there were attempts to inflate the Kudos. These attempts don't succeed because we monitor the Kudos misuse constantly. We usually ban users who misuse Kudos after one warning.
harshjoshi91 wrote:
Just curious!

Ever seen someone misusing the Kudos to gain test access??
Say for example, a group of friends all started giving kudos to each other just to reach the target of 50. :)

Or say, one fake email id, giving kudos to whatever post some user makes.

Cheers!

**********************
Kudos me if you like this post :)

_________________
Welcome to GMAT Club! :)
Facebook TwitterGoogle+LinkedIn
Want to solve GMAT questions on the go? GMAT Club iPhone app will help.
Please read this before posting in GMAT Club Tests forum
Result correlation between real GMAT and GMAT Club Tests
Are GMAT Club Test sets ordered in any way?

Take 15 free tests with questions from GMAT Club, Knewton, Manhattan GMAT, and Veritas.

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 03 Apr 2010
Posts: 15
Re: Kudos Points on GMATClub Forum  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Aug 2010, 14:26
hi,
is this a thing that you've developed yourself or it is available as a phpbb mod ?
CIO
CIO
avatar
Joined: 02 Oct 2007
Posts: 1188
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Kudos Points on GMATClub Forum  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Aug 2010, 14:32
That is our own development.
lordspace wrote:
hi,
is this a thing that you've developed yourself or it is available as a phpbb mod ?

_________________
Welcome to GMAT Club! :)
Facebook TwitterGoogle+LinkedIn
Want to solve GMAT questions on the go? GMAT Club iPhone app will help.
Please read this before posting in GMAT Club Tests forum
Result correlation between real GMAT and GMAT Club Tests
Are GMAT Club Test sets ordered in any way?

Take 15 free tests with questions from GMAT Club, Knewton, Manhattan GMAT, and Veritas.

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings
SVP
SVP
User avatar
Status: Nothing comes easy: neither do I want.
Joined: 12 Oct 2009
Posts: 2496
Location: Malaysia
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
Schools: ISB '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V31
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35
Reviews Badge
Re: Kudos Points on GMATClub Forum  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Sep 2010, 18:50
:-D I tought there is a bug because I saw the Kudos button next to my own profile, but when I clicked it, it was giving me warning.

I think This has been updated now recently?
_________________
Fight for your dreams :For all those who fear from Verbal- lets give it a fight

Money Saved is the Money Earned :)

Jo Bole So Nihaal , Sat Shri Akaal

:thanks Support GMAT Club by putting a GMAT Club badge on your blog/Facebook :thanks

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Gmat test review :
http://gmatclub.com/forum/670-to-710-a-long-journey-without-destination-still-happy-141642.html
Founder
Founder
User avatar
V
Joined: 04 Dec 2002
Posts: 18199
Location: United States (WA)
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Kudos Points on GMATClub Forum  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Sep 2010, 19:11
gurpreetsingh wrote:
:-D I tought there is a bug because I saw the Kudos button next to my own profile, but when I clicked it, it was giving me warning.

I think This has been updated now recently?



Sure - that's exactly why you clicked it :lol: Just teasing.
I had 4 different people check in with me over the weekend about not having a Kudos button next to their profile, so Voila...
_________________
Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here...

Discover Your Admit Options with Decision Tracker Filters!
SVP
SVP
User avatar
Status: Three Down.
Joined: 09 Jun 2010
Posts: 1827
Concentration: General Management, Nonprofit
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Kudos Points on GMATClub Forum  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Sep 2010, 18:09
bb wrote:
Sure - that's exactly why you clicked it :lol: Just teasing.


LOL.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Kudos Points on GMATClub Forum   [#permalink] 07 Sep 2010, 18:09

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10    Next  [ 200 posts ] 

Display posts from previous: Sort by

Kudos Points on GMATClub Forum

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: abhimahna






cron

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne