Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 10:03 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 10:03

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [18]
Given Kudos: 3
GMAT 1: 670 Q47 V35
GPA: 3.34
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [1]
Given Kudos: 286
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 37
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 197 [0]
Given Kudos: 146
Send PM
Re: Last year, as part of their Plans for Economic Reform, the state offic [#permalink]
E - At any given time, the newly introduced employment generation schemes create more new jobs overall than do previously introduced employment generation schemes.

Is "At any given time" leading to the falsification of option E?

What if it were :
Any year, the newly introduced employment generation schemes create more new jobs overall than do previous year's introduced employment generation schemes.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [4]
Given Kudos: 30
Send PM
Re: Last year, as part of their Plans for Economic Reform, the state offic [#permalink]
Kudos
Last year

1. X new schemes were launched
2 Y new jobs were created

In order to create Y++ jobs this year X++ new schemes should be launched

Assumption - Y can increase only if X increases. Increase in jobs per scheme cannot lead to Y++ jobs
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [0]
Given Kudos: 277
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V35 (Online)
WE:Engineering (Manufacturing)
Send PM
How to choose between C & E?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [1]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Kudos
Hey, could you please explain why D is wrong? I think it passes negation test.

My rationale is that it is a necessary assumption, because if public and private sector add a greater number of jobs this year than previous year, perhaps it will not be necessary to add more schemes to increase number of new jobs created?

On the other hand, if public and private sector won't add a greater number jobs it is necessary to create more jobs by creating more schemes.

Having said that, I understand why C is correct. Just want to understand what is wrong with D and where did I go wrong?

Cheers!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [1]
Given Kudos: 39
Send PM
Last year, as part of their Plans for Economic Reform, the state offic [#permalink]
Kudos
Hi rahul

Author of a critical reasoning argument draws his/her conclusion using premise(s) and assumption. In finding assumption questions we are looking for a piece of information which is necessary for the conclusion to hold true. Here the conclusion is 'the officials must introduce a record number of such schemes in order to break last year’s record for new jobs created.' This conclusion is based on the premise that last year a record number of employment generation schemes were introduced which generated a record number of new jobs in the Rostorian economy.So, what else do we need for the conclusion to be valid. What if this year, fewer employment generation schemes generate more jobs per scheme than did new schemes last year. If that were to be true the officials need not introduce a record number of schemes to break last year’s record for new jobs created. Option C says this is not the case. So, Option C is the right answer.

Originally posted by gurugmat on 06 Feb 2023, 05:19.
Last edited by gurugmat on 15 Aug 2023, 21:16, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 18
Send PM
i cannot able to understand why the answer is C but according to me the correct answer is E because the information says that we need to break the record last year so, if we introduce some schemes in this year so, we get more jobs so, E should be the correct option.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 81
Send PM
liyajoshi wrote:
i cannot able to understand why the answer is C but according to me the correct answer is E because the information says that we need to break the record last year so, if we introduce some schemes in this year so, we get more jobs so, E should be the correct option.

E does not talk about the number of schemes that should be introduced, the comparison in E is only between the new and the old schemes. But our conclusion will hold for more NUMBER of new schemes to be introduced.. hence E does not help it and C does.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 49
Concentration: Operations, Sustainability
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V37
Send PM
Piotrek wrote:
Hey, could you please explain why D is wrong? I think it passes negation test.

My rationale is that it is a necessary assumption, because if public and private sector add a greater number of jobs this year than previous year, perhaps it will not be necessary to add more schemes to increase number of new jobs created?

On the other hand, if public and private sector won't add a greater number jobs it is necessary to create more jobs by creating more schemes.

Having said that, I understand why C is correct. Just want to understand what is wrong with D and where did I go wrong?

Cheers!

Look at it from this view, an assumption which is defending against any weakener. Option C does just that. Option on the other hand, D is talking about the sectors not the scheme and conclusion is concerned about effect of schemes in the private and public sectors
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 286 [0]
Given Kudos: 161
GMAT 1: 640 Q44 V34
GPA: 3.68
Send PM
samagra21 wrote:
E - At any given time, the newly introduced employment generation schemes create more new jobs overall than do previously introduced employment generation schemes.

Is "At any given time" leading to the falsification of option E?

What if it were :
Any year, the newly introduced employment generation schemes create more new jobs overall than do previous year's introduced employment generation schemes.

Option E acts as a weakener. If this were true, then there would be no requirement for more schemes this year since the same number of schemes would end up creating a greater number of jobs.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 39
Send PM
RahulHGGmat wrote:
Hi Expert,

Request your expertise on this argument and explain to me why option E cannot be the answer choice.

IMO C cannot be the answer as there are exceptions to this case.

Suppose last year 100 schemes were introduced and each scheme results in 20 jobs which generated 2000 total jobs. This year 40 new schemes were introduced and each scheme brings about 45 new jobs which result in 1800 new jobs. Hence this cannot be an answer choice in my opinion.

Looking for a prompt response ahead.

Conclusion says 'the officials must introduce a record number of such schemes in order to break last year’s record for new jobs created.' In other words, Author says 'more schemes equals to more jobs.' Author is assuming that only by adding new schemes will we be able to generate more jobs. Option C says that exactly by stating that fewer schemes this year won't generate more jobs per scheme than was the case last year. Hope this helps.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts