It is currently 21 Nov 2017, 01:24

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Lawyer to MBA

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Lawyer to MBA [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Jun 2015, 18:34
Hi all -

How do MBA programs view lawyers from "biglaw" and top law schools with 2-4 years work experience? Would like to go into consulting and want to know if it is worth it to start the MBA application process. Legal work is on the corporate side of a niche area (E.g. energy, healthcare, biotech). Particularly interested in top 20 schools.

Thanks in advance.

MBA Admissions Consultant
B

Kudos [?]: 462 [0], given: 3

Re: Lawyer to MBA [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Jun 2015, 20:46
Hi there,

Thanks for your question! In short, MBA AdComs are very open to considering lawyers who have a couple years of experience. The fact that you went to a top law school will show that you're an intelligent individual with analytical skills, but just like any other applicant, you'll have to demonstrate career progression, leadership skills, and true impact in the role(s) that you held. Your priority in your essays will be to articulate why you want to change careers and what changed between the day you wanted to become a lawyer and today. To do this, it will be critical for you to specify what your short and long term goals are post MBA. In order to discuss specific schools, I'll need to know a bit more about your stats (GMAT and undergraduate GPA and law school rank). How many years of total work experience do you have? What does your involvement/extracurriculars look like? If you want to chat more in depth about these topics, feel free to sign up for a free consultation below!

Critical Square | MBA Admissions Services

Web | Blog | Free Resources | Facebook | Twitter

Was this post helpful to you? Give a Kudos and let us know!

Kudos [?]: 462 [0], given: 3

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 44

Schools: Kellogg '17, ISB '17
GMAT Date: 05-20-2015
GPA: 3.06
WE: Business Development (Commercial Banking)

Show Tags

New post 07 Jun 2015, 20:47
What is your GMAT score?

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 44

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 08 Jun 2015, 20:22
1991sehwag wrote:
What is your GMAT score?

I have not taken GMAT. I want to make sure my work experience/background is good enough to get into top schools before taking the time to study as much as necessary. UG GPA is 4.0

BSchool Thread Master

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 5

Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, Healthcare
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V38
GMAT 2: 700 Q44 V40
GMAT 3: 710 Q44 V42
GPA: 3.3

Show Tags

New post 11 Jun 2015, 06:38
TheWaker wrote:
1991sehwag wrote:
What is your GMAT score?

I have not taken GMAT. I want to make sure my work experience/background is good enough to get into top schools before taking the time to study as much as necessary. UG GPA is 4.0

FWIW, I think LSAT and GMAT scores are highly correlated. If you got 99% percentile on the LSAT then you could probably do as well on the GMAT (99th percentile = 760+, 98% percentile = 750, 90th percentile = 700... top MBA programs have GMAT averages around 715-730).

You can definitely get into some top 20 programs with a 4.0 and high (700+) GMAT. You have to be able to tell your story, though... and why you want an MBA. If you know that's what you want then go with it. MBA programs like diversity, and some students even do dual MBA/JD programs.

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 5

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 10 Dec 2015, 00:18
Does anyone have any insight as to how the answer changes for lawyers who have been in biglaw at a top firm for longer, for example, 7 or 8 years? Personally, I'm still deciding whether an Executive MBA may offer more value for me, but if regular MBA Ad Comms are not going to be interested in 33 year old senior lawyers, then my decision is made for me. :)

Expert Post
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
G

Kudos [?]: 246 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 21 Dec 2015, 17:08
Generally most MBA programs are fairly receptive to big law / top law applicants. The same type of highly motivated and bright people frequent both pathways so MBA programs tend to value the aptitude these law type can offer. As far as for older law candidates, it's really about your development goals. There are certain opportunities the 2Y can offer that the EMBA does not and vice versa so focus on your needs first and which program best addresses those needs

Veritas Prep | Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant

Find the expert who’s right for you. Meet our team!
Veritas Prep Reviews

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 1

Schools: Kellogg '18 (M)
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V42
GPA: 3.14
WE: Law (Law)

Show Tags

New post 05 Jan 2016, 10:27
This post was
BOOKMARKED
For what it's worth, I am at a top specialty firm (read: not general practice) but it is not "BigLaw" and I did not attend a T14 law school (went to T20), and I was just accepted to Kellogg.

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 1

Expert Post

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 1

Show Tags

New post 17 Jan 2016, 17:13
Certainly no reason why admission committees will reject lawyers out right. Of course, like any other applicant you'll need to have a good reason why you are leaving your career and going to school. It would be great if you could tie your law experience to what you want to study and do after school.

Mike

Veritas Prep Reviews

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 1

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 2

Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
GRE 1: 323 Q157 V166
GRE 2: 327 Q160 V167
GRE 3: 329 Q163 V166
GPA: 3.72
WE: Law (Law)

Show Tags

New post 08 Apr 2016, 12:22
This post was
BOOKMARKED
dajgmat wrote:
Does anyone have any insight as to how the answer changes for lawyers who have been in biglaw at a top firm for longer, for example, 7 or 8 years? Personally, I'm still deciding whether an Executive MBA may offer more value for me, but if regular MBA Ad Comms are not going to be interested in 33 year old senior lawyers, then my decision is made for me. :)

Obviously everyone is different, but I can give you some anecdotal evidence from my experience.

Profile: I am a West-coast based lawyer in Biglaw with 7-8 years corporate experience (mostly M&A). I am 34 years old (will be 35 at time of matriculation). Top 5 undergrad with a 3.72 GPA; T14 law school with low GPA (3.0) but significant leadership on a secondary journal. Took GRE with a "GMAT equivalent" score of 710.

Applications: I applied to part-time (not EMBA) programs at Haas, Anderson and Marshall. I applied to full-time programs at HBS, GSB, and Wharton.

Results: I got the love from all the PT programs, plus Wharton.

Happy to provide more details/insights if there is demand.

Good luck,
Crucial

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 2

Non-Human User

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 0

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 13 Jun 2017, 23:08
Hello from the GMAT Club MBAbot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 0

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 26 Jun 2017, 02:31
Hi, posting here because my profile is similar.

Was wondering if its possible to impress top B-school (H/S/W) admissions as a corporate lawyer (WE at matriculation will be 4 years at a quality M&A/capital markets law firm) from India with a law degree from the best Indian law school? Have clerking experience, law review and leadership roles in law school and also took a certificate course at Wharton during my study-abroad at Penn. I haven't taken the GMAT yet, but assuming I get a 720+ score. I'm happy with the exposure in my current role and though I'm looking to transition to IB/consulting post-MBA, I wouldn't want to attempt that jump pre-MBA. Thanks!

Expert Post
G

Show Tags

New post 26 Jun 2017, 19:47
Hey fearless thanks for sharing your profile. You have a very interesting and unique profile especially coming from India. I think you have a chance, you will want to hit at least 730 on that GMAT and really hone in on why you need another grad degree while sharing some of the unique elements in your profile which you have a few of. Keep in mind you are applying to some of the best schools in the world. So its not just enough to be qualified, you will need to stand out!

Veritas Prep Reviews

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 24 Sep 2017, 13:31
CrucialTaunt wrote:
dajgmat wrote:

Obviously everyone is different, but I can give you some anecdotal evidence from my experience.

Profile: I am a West-coast based lawyer in Biglaw with 7-8 years corporate experience (mostly M&A). I am 34 years old (will be 35 at time of matriculation). Top 5 undergrad with a 3.72 GPA; T14 law school with low GPA (3.0) but significant leadership on a secondary journal. Took GRE with a "GMAT equivalent" score of 710.

Applications: I applied to part-time (not EMBA) programs at Haas, Anderson and Marshall. I applied to full-time programs at HBS, GSB, and Wharton.

Results: I got the love from all the PT programs, plus Wharton.

Happy to provide more details/insights if there is demand.

Good luck,
Crucial

Hey there,

Would love to hear a little bit more about your experience/plans. We've got similar profiles; I'm early 30s, west-coast based, T14 grad, been in Biglaw my whole legal career (two firms; one Vault 20, current firm is Vault 10), practice is private equity (mostly M&A as well). Did you look into EMBA programs at all or trying to get your firm to sponsor (obviously even broaching that subject is a risk), or is your goal a total career change? How did you approach letters of rec? Looks like you settled on the Wharton full time program, congrats!

Happy to exchange personal information somehow to connect directly. I just signed up and found this post via a Google search. There's not a ton of resources out there for folks in our position...

Great username/profile pic by the way.

Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consultant
S

Kudos [?]: 332 [0], given: 2

Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 01 Oct 2017, 01:27
TheWaker wrote:
Hi all -

How do MBA programs view lawyers from "biglaw" and top law schools with 2-4 years work experience? Would like to go into consulting and want to know if it is worth it to start the MBA application process. Legal work is on the corporate side of a niche area (E.g. energy, healthcare, biotech). Particularly interested in top 20 schools.

Thanks in advance.

Yes, I do think that is an attractive profile for top business schools, but I also think it would be even more attractive if you somehow try to find a connection to the niche you are currently active in. The business schools do get lawyer applicants, after all, but lawyer applicants active in a specific niche are much more rare.
I know you wrote that you are striving for a career in consulting in the end but as I am sure you know, there are several very good business schools that are known for both their focus in consulting and some of the niches you mentioned (as you did not say what the niche is, I am just going to choose one of them as an example).

Take a look at some of the top rated business schools for consulting here, for example:
https://aringo.com/mba-corporate-strategy-and-consulting-specialization/

And then cross check that list with schools known for their focus in healthcare, if that is your niche:
https://aringo.com/mba-health-care-management-specialization/

I think the combination of your niche and your wish to go into consulting could really work in your favor if done right, so I highly recommend considering that road. Feel free to contact the ARINGO team if you need more ideas on making the essays cohesive regarding this, we’d love to help of course!

But as a general starting point the above is what I recommend.

How old are you by the way? (Asking as age can play a part at some schools, although not at all of them)

https://ARINGO.com/ – MBA Admissions Consulting

Specializing in candidates with GMATs under 720

Try our free Admissions Chances Calculator - https://aringo.com/mba-admission-chances-calculator/

All statistics verified by Ernst & Young

Kudos [?]: 332 [0], given: 2

Re: Lawyer to MBA   [#permalink] 01 Oct 2017, 01:27

Lawyer to MBA

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap