Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 18:37 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 18:37

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Tags:
Find Similar Topics  Add a Tag
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.65
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 765 [1]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2012
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
RSM Erasmus Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1360 [1]
Given Kudos: 641
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
Schools: Erasmus (II)
Send PM
Re: LBS / Fuqua / Darden - Consulting [#permalink]
Kudos
rdg15 wrote:
Post MBA I would like to work in strategy consulting, MBB or tier 2, out of a Philadelphia office. No option to relocate, I need to end up in Philly.

Premba I was a Marine for 4 years then internal audit at tech firm then aerospace. 760 GMAT.

I'm most attracted to LBS. Living in London, learning a second language, and getting a truly global education while gaining international contacts are all attractive prospects. I understand LBS places well into MBB but mostly in their London office; however, I'm thinking that's because of pure numbers. Majority of students at LBS are going to have London as their post MBA location so therefore that's where most end up. I'd be curious to know how well students do that are seeking employment back in the states, specifically in Philadelphia (not a glamorous location). I reached out to their consulting club and they said basically the same thing, most end up in London because that's where they want to be but they do place in US offices.

I did a quick LinkedIn search and their are plenty of LBS alum working at MBB offices in the states.

I would also consider utilizing their international exchange program to attend a state side university for 3 months to help with recruiting. Would most likely be Tuck or Booth as I hear they aren't as sought after for exchange and since I'd would be trying to go back to the US i'd need to wait for round 2 exchange apps.

Thoughts?

Posted from my mobile device

Hi,

Although LBS is a big name in Europe and well respected university, ending up in Philly makes you think carefully to make use of the opportunities you have. So choosing a US-based university is a good choice. Both Fuqua and Darden have huge reputation in MBB and strategy. However, I'm leaning towards Fuqua. The big consulting companies recruit from those schools.

I wish you success in your choice
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [1]
Given Kudos: 16
Concentration: Statistics, Economics
Schools: Booth - Class of 2014
WE:Engineering (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Kudos
That's an easy one: Duke. Better recruiting opportunities in the US and more polished program overall.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thanks for all the responses
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [1]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V46
Send PM
Kudos
rdg15........... what did you decide?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 59 [1]
Given Kudos: 8
Concentration: Technology
GMAT Date: 04-25-2015
GPA: 3.15
WE:Analyst (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Kudos
The question is where do you want to work?

US? go to Duke.

Europe go to LBS.

IF you dont care, go to Duke.

Going from duke to europe is easier than going from LBS to usa.

Dont forget to kudos!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Shakandbake wrote:
rdg15........... what did you decide?

So I haven't actually been accepted yet. I have been invited to interview at Yale, Cornell, McCombs, Georgetown, LBS, Duke, and Darden (also applicant initiated interview at Tuck).

All these interviews are wearing me down. I've completed Duke, Darden, and McCombs, have Georgetown tomorrow, Cornell next Monday, LBS probably next Thursday, and Yale the following Tuesday.

I'm hopeful that the decision will be further complicated with some money on the table. I used up most my GI Bill during undergrad
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 59 [2]
Given Kudos: 8
Concentration: Technology
GMAT Date: 04-25-2015
GPA: 3.15
WE:Analyst (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Kudos
I would choose LBS for the life experience. Being abroad at the best school outside USA is pretty good.

You learn new things and new perspectivess.

But for your goals: MBB in usa, the best 'chances' are to go to Duke. the second best 'chances' to go to Durden.

But if you want to work abroad or especially in Europe I say go to LBS so that you can become an overall more interesting person.

Also dont think too much about statistics and chances, Duke and Durden may get you to the interview 'better' than LBS, but once you are doing the interview, you will be a much more interesting person than the person you would have become if you went to duke or durden.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
dontquixote wrote:
I would choose LBS for the life experience. Being abroad at the best school outside USA is pretty good.

But for your goals: MBB in usa, the best 'chances' are to go to Duke. the second best 'chances' to go to Durden.

But if you want to work abroad or especially in Europe I say go to LBS so that you can become an overall more interesting person.

Also dont think too much about statistics and chances, Duke and Durden may get you to the interview 'better' than LBS, but once you are doing the interview, you will be a much more interesting person than the person you would have become if you went to duke or durden.

I agree. Here is my thing with LBS to USA Consulting, its not that its impossible its that not many people try. I feel the same way with enlisted military vs offices at top B-Schools. Its not that B-Schools don't want enlisted Military, there just aren't many of us that even try.

I spoke with 5 current Vets at LBS and a student in their Consulting Club. LBS has 400 students, around 10% are from the US, so we have 40 US students, of those maybe 33% want to get into consulting, so we are down to 13 students, and of those the majority are going to be seeking employment in Europe. As you can see the number whittles down very quickly. The consulting club student told me of at least 2 students who did their internship at McKinsey London Office and received full time offers in San Fran and NYC after requesting to be based in those cities. And a simple linkedin search shows plenty of LBS Alums at offices throughout the country.

Now for Duke - I still think it may be best. Although LBS would be exciting and a fantastic experience (plus I get forced to learn a second language), Duke would give me the opportunity to network in person with Philly office employees, plus the cost of living is significantly lower and I'll be going to B-School with my wife and 3, yes 3, dogs. Finding a pet friendly place in London that I can afford would probably include an hour + commute.

Of course this whole conversation is pointless if I dont get accepted to any of these schools, but maybe it'll be helpful for others in a similar position.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 38 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
Schools: Duke '17 (M)
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V38
Send PM
rdg15 wrote:
dontquixote wrote:

I agree. Here is my thing with LBS to USA Consulting, its not that its impossible its that not many people try. I feel the same way with enlisted military vs offices at top B-Schools. Its not that B-Schools don't want enlisted Military, there just aren't many of us that even try.

I spoke with 5 current Vets at LBS and a student in their Consulting Club. LBS has 400 students, around 10% are from the US, so we have 40 US students, of those maybe 33% want to get into consulting, so we are down to 13 students, and of those the majority are going to be seeking employment in Europe. As you can see the number whittles down very quickly. The consulting club student told me of at least 2 students who did their internship at McKinsey London Office and received full time offers in San Fran and NYC after requesting to be based in those cities. And a simple linkedin search shows plenty of LBS Alums at offices throughout the country.

Now for Duke - I still think it may be best. Although LBS would be exciting and a fantastic experience (plus I get forced to learn a second language), Duke would give me the opportunity to network in person with Philly office employees, plus the cost of living is significantly lower and I'll be going to B-School with my wife and 3, yes 3, dogs. Finding a pet friendly place in London that I can afford would probably include an hour + commute.

Of course this whole conversation is pointless if I dont get accepted to any of these schools, but maybe it'll be helpful for others in a similar position.

What's the second language you'll be forced to learn at LBS-proper English? :-D
Intern
Intern
Send PM
LBS / Fuqua / Darden - Consulting [#permalink]
DLEmba wrote:
rdg15 wrote:
dontquixote wrote:

What's the second language you'll be forced to learn at LBS-proper English? :-D

Touche. Fortunately I was on point during the GMAT.

Originally posted by rdg15 on 25 Feb 2015, 08:29.
Last edited by rdg15 on 25 Feb 2015, 09:05, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [1]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Kudos
Congrats - you are in a great position and can't go wrong. On the US side, Fuqua and Darden are great consulting schools. Fuqua seems to be a bit heavier towards consulting so I would lean that way if you were choosing between those two. Their employment report from the past few years shows some pretty strong consulting numbers in terms of quantity as well as coverage (companies, offices, etc) However, Darden is no slouch. On the flipside, LBS seems like it would be aligned with some of your personal/life aspirations which is always a good thing.

The last thing I would say is that if you're trying to be in the US post-MBA there are some operational/tactical things that might be easier if you went to Fuqua/Darden. For instance, if you're trying to do informational interviews with Alum from your school you won't probably have to deal with the time difference, also, if for some reason you wanted to do some personal carer treks being in the US might be helpful. Again, these are not dealbreakers, but just something to consider.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 38 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
Schools: Duke '17 (M)
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V38
Send PM
rdg15 wrote:

Touche. Fortunately I was on point during the GMAT.

Ha ha. I didn't realize how bad I was at English until the GMAT. But I enjoyed learning while preparing...
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Admitted - Which School Forum Moderator
1131 posts