GMAT Changed on April 16th - Read about the latest changes here

It is currently 22 Apr 2018, 01:42

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Looking for a Profile Evaluation! :)

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
Looking for a Profile Evaluation! :) [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Apr 2018, 22:34
Hi All -

I would greatly appreciate an evaluation given that I believe I have finally discovered something I would love to develop myself on (product management) given that I work closely with many engineers, but only from a compliance standpoint (so not helping with the top line, so to speak). Would you happen to help recommend schools in the Top 25 that may suit me? Also, which schools would have a higher likelihood of accepting me based on my credentials (and forecasting GMAT?). I feel that I'm pretty average given that my undergrad seems to be conflicting (not a good school, but over performed seems to average out). Also, would any seem to offer some sort of financial package at first glance?

Thanks in advanced, and I definitely do appreciate your time! It's helpful!!

1) Undergrad College -
California State University (Ranked ~#300 US, so pretty bad) in Business Admin: Accounting.
3.9 GPA Major GPA (Top 2% Graduating Class), and received the honor of being the College of Business's Accounting honoree (basically being the MVP of Accounting for my 2014 Class). Also have my CPA. Plenty of extracurrs here in terms of orgs.

2) Work Experience
Advisory in a Big Four primarily dealing with their largest tech 'relationship' clients. I deal a lot with their home grown platforms from a compliance standpoint, so essentially helping companies lock down their tech stack from a financial risk perspective. Lots of collaborative work between finance, business application owners, and engineering teams. 2 Years to senior, and looking to promo to manager in Sept 2019 if I don't leave for b-school before then! High performer, developed my own training curriculum for new hires, and I also facilitate a few trainings.

3) GMAT
Have not taken, but early indication of practice exams look to slot me around 700-720. My goal is 720, but given that I'm cranking some hours + gym, it's a bit difficult to commit to a LOT of hours.

4) Extra Currs
I mentor 1-2 UC Berkeley undergrads a semester - these are students who are usually looking for help on getting into the professional services industry.

5) Nationality, Age, Gender
Chinese, but a part of me is URM based on my heritage (can I play this out? 23andme is taking forever to confirm! lol). Born in America, so no trace of accent (unless California has one :))

6) Post MBA goals - industry, company, desired location
I'd love to work as a PM in the tech industry, preferably at a FANG-type firm before perhaps moving into more of a start-up type company. However, I am open to the consulting aspect that MBA opens up. However, I understand this may not be in the tech industry - regardless, I feel like I'm good at making connections and genuinely enjoy meeting new people and helping them solve their problems (generic BS answer, I know)
Expert Post
Sia Admissions Representative
B
Affiliations: NYU, Yale
Re: Looking for a Profile Evaluation! :) [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Apr 2018, 11:31
Hi wchin24,

Thank you for sharing your profile. While you do not have an Ivy background, I would not describe your profile average. From what you've shared, there are options available. If you take your background, aim slightly higher on the GMAT, and put together a killer personal profile (the qualitative), you may be pleasantly surprised by the doors that may open to you. Elite FANG-type companies hire from top universities; they are not out of reach if you apply effort in the right areas.

I think you would benefit from a free consultation, and welcome discussing your profile further. If interested, please reach out (contact details in signature).

Good luck!

P.S. I recently posted an article on data science and the various types of degrees (https://siaadmissions.com/sia-blog/masters-degree-in-data-science); it might be worth a read.

Sia Admissions
info@siaadmissions.com
+1 (646) 690 - 6696

Contact us for a free consultation
+ 10% off any package

Expert Post
mbaMission Admissions Consultant
S

Show Tags

New post 12 Apr 2018, 09:09
Hey wchin24

Thanks for posting! There is a lot to like here, especially that 3.9. The GMAT though...we need you to get that done! Aim higher than 720 please to make this an easier process. That's the piece of the puzzle that will really help us help you! My recommendation is to take the exam asap so you know what you're dealing with. Then, you can make a plan to study again if need be. What I hate to see happen is candidates who wait til July to take the exam, only to find out they're at the 680 level. Better to know that now so you can study another month or two and try again in June/July!

Regarding the URM angle, I'm intrigued by the mention of 23andme?? That may be a tough way to present this but I am intrigued enough to want to know more!

I think you'd get a lot out of a free consultation and suggest you set one up as soon as you have a GMAT score. Link in signature.

My best,
Krista

mbaMission Admissions Consultant

Blog: http://www.mbamission.com/blog
mbaMission Insiders Guides: http://www.mbamission.com/guides.php?category=insiders
Free Consultation: http://www.mbamission.com/consult.php

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S

Show Tags

New post 13 Apr 2018, 00:24
A few more thoughts and some reaffirmations to ponder on wchin24:
  1. The overall academic profile, with your current GMAT would mean a bit above average scenario for the top league schools. The CPA certification will certainly add some sheen to things though it's relevance in your current work as well as future plans could be a bit suspect. So yes, push really hard on that GMAT and seek professional help if that's what it takes frankly.
  2. Your current experience sounds interesting though not very clear. In general, it can be a bit tricky/tough to show impact in risk/compliance profiles as well as bring out transferable skills. So think really hard on those aspects.
  3. While for reasons mentioned here, we do not speculate on school selection, there is definite overall potential. You will have to sort out the story though - currently, PM sounds more a wish than a real intent (meaning nothing to show you are serious about it).
  4. The minority thing might be a tough sell. The ECs look about ok - so you'd have to rely on past laurels to pull you through some; could be another factor missing for the top league.

Hope this helps some.

Cheers,

MG (Manish Gupta)|The MBA Crystal Ball Team

Email: mcb at mbacrystalball dot com

Expert Post
Admission Consultant
G
Status: Boutique MBA Admissions Consulting from a Wharton graduate - Helping applicants get into top global business schools since 2008
Affiliations: Wharton, MIT
Overall Client Admit Rate: 96%
Re: Looking for a Profile Evaluation! ? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Apr 2018, 05:47
wchin24 wrote:
Hi All -

I would greatly appreciate an evaluation given that I believe I have finally discovered something I would love to develop myself on (product management) given that I work closely with many engineers, but only from a compliance standpoint (so not helping with the top line, so to speak). Would you happen to help recommend schools in the Top 25 that may suit me? Also, which schools would have a higher likelihood of accepting me based on my credentials (and forecasting GMAT?). I feel that I'm pretty average given that my undergrad seems to be conflicting (not a good school, but over performed seems to average out). Also, would any seem to offer some sort of financial package at first glance?

Thanks in advanced, and I definitely do appreciate your time! It's helpful!!

1) Undergrad College -
California State University (Ranked ~#300 US, so pretty bad) in Business Admin: Accounting.
3.9 GPA Major GPA (Top 2% Graduating Class), and received the honor of being the College of Business's Accounting honoree (basically being the MVP of Accounting for my 2014 Class). Also have my CPA. Plenty of extracurrs here in terms of orgs.

2) Work Experience
Advisory in a Big Four primarily dealing with their largest tech 'relationship' clients. I deal a lot with their home grown platforms from a compliance standpoint, so essentially helping companies lock down their tech stack from a financial risk perspective. Lots of collaborative work between finance, business application owners, and engineering teams. 2 Years to senior, and looking to promo to manager in Sept 2019 if I don't leave for b-school before then! High performer, developed my own training curriculum for new hires, and I also facilitate a few trainings.

3) GMAT
Have not taken, but early indication of practice exams look to slot me around 700-720. My goal is 720, but given that I'm cranking some hours + gym, it's a bit difficult to commit to a LOT of hours.

4) Extra Currs
I mentor 1-2 UC Berkeley undergrads a semester - these are students who are usually looking for help on getting into the professional services industry.

5) Nationality, Age, Gender
Chinese, but a part of me is URM based on my heritage (can I play this out? 23andme is taking forever to confirm! lol). Born in America, so no trace of accent (unless California has one :))

6) Post MBA goals - industry, company, desired location
I'd love to work as a PM in the tech industry, preferably at a FANG-type firm before perhaps moving into more of a start-up type company. However, I am open to the consulting aspect that MBA opens up. However, I understand this may not be in the tech industry - regardless, I feel like I'm good at making connections and genuinely enjoy meeting new people and helping them solve their problems (generic BS answer, I know)

Thank you for your detailed post and I hope you are having a great weekend.

Believe it or not you don’t have to worry a lot about your undergrad school. It is true that ranking factors into decisions, but admissions directors also look at overall GPA. You provided your major GPA but what is the overall?

In terms of work ex, big 4 advisory is good! We helped a handful of advisory folks get into top schools this year. As mentioned above, the GMAT is an open yet important item. If you want to overcome the fact that you came from a lower ranked school, you can do so by acing the GMAT!

If you are looking for financial support then you can look at 10-20 ranked schools and possibly a bit higher or lower depending on the GMAT.

Reach out if you want to explore further. I also want to know what group and firm you work at as that can have an impact.

Don’t forget to start interacting with schools as well. https://www.personalmbacoach.com/single ... ss-Schools

Best,
Scott

Personal MBA Coach
Boutique MBA Admissions Consulting
scott@personalmbacoach.com | +1 617 645 2424
http://www.personalmbacoach.com | http://www.personalmbacoach.com/blog

Re: Looking for a Profile Evaluation! ?   [#permalink] 15 Apr 2018, 05:47

Looking for a Profile Evaluation! :)

new topic post reply Update application status  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap