GMAT Changed on April 16th - Read about the latest changes here

It is currently 24 May 2018, 00:48

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

M14-13

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Math Expert
V
M14-13 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Sep 2014, 00:53
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

95% (hard)

Question Stats:

49% (01:46) correct 51% (01:25) wrong based on 103 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Math Expert
V
Re M14-13 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Sep 2014, 00:53
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Official Solution:

First of all: is \(|x| \gt 1\) means is \(x \lt -1\) \((-2, -3, -4, ...)\) or is \(x \gt 1\) \((2, 3, 4, ...)\), so for YES answer \(x\) can be any integer but -1, 0, and 1.

(1)\((1 - 2x)(1 + x) \lt 0\). Rewrite as \((2x - 1)(x + 1) \gt 0\) (so that the coefficient of \(x^2\) is positive after expanding): roots are \(x=-1\) and \(x=\frac{1}{2}\). \(\gt\)" sign means that the given inequality holds true for: \(x \lt -1\)and \(x \gt \frac{1}{2}\). \(x\) could still equal 1, so not sufficient.

(2) \((1 - x)(1 + 2x) \lt 0\). Rewrite as \((x - 1)(2x + 1) \gt 0\): roots are \(x=-\frac{1}{2}\) and \(x=1\). "\(\gt\)" sign means that the given inequality holds true for: \(x \lt - \frac{1}{2}\) and \(x \gt 1\). \(x\) could still equal -1, so not sufficient.

(1)+(2) Intersection of the ranges from (1) and (2) is \(x \lt -1\) and \(x \gt 1\). Sufficient.

Answer: C

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

Intern
Intern
M14-13 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Dec 2014, 18:34
why do we disregard X< -1/2 for the first solution and X> 1/2 for the second solution? I chose E as although X>1 and X<-1 can be derived from both 1 and 2 respectively, the range of 1/2 < x< -1/2 from the information does not align to solution as x can =0
Expert Post
Math Expert
V
Re: M14-13 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Dec 2014, 05:51
rsamant wrote:
why do we disregard X< -1/2 for the first solution and X> 1/2 for the second solution? I chose E as although X>1 and X<-1 can be derived from both 1 and 2 respectively, the range of 1/2 < x< -1/2 from the information does not align to solution as x can =0

I don't understand what you mean at all...

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Operations, Technology
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V40
WE: Engineering (Aerospace and Defense)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 05 May 2015, 08:09
I did by wavy curve method.....Efficient :)
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 08 Jun 2015, 06:32
Bunuel wrote:
rsamant wrote:

I don't understand what you mean at all...

He means why do we have to consider only extreme ranges in range intersection you explained...while considering (1) and (2), why do we eliminate x>1/2 and x<-1/2... because if we donot do so we get a range possible between x<-1 and x <-1/2 and also x>1/2 and x > 1 so these in bet ranges are confusing.
Intern
Intern
GMAT Date: 12-30-2014
GPA: 3.3
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 19 Jun 2015, 11:08
Bunuel wrote:
Official Solution:

First of all: is \(|x| \gt 1\) means is \(x \lt -1\) \((-2, -3, -4, ...)\) or is \(x \gt 1\) \((2, 3, 4, ...)\), so for YES answer \(x\) can be any integer but -1, 0, and 1.

(1)\((1 - 2x)(1 + x) \lt 0\). Rewrite as \((2x - 1)(x + 1) \gt 0\) (so that the coefficient of \(x^2\) is positive after expanding): roots are \(x=-1\) and \(x=\frac{1}{2}\). \(\gt\)" sign means that the given inequality holds true for: \(x \lt -1\)and \(x \gt \frac{1}{2}\). \(x\) could still equal 1, so not sufficient.

(2) \((1 - x)(1 + 2x) \lt 0\). Rewrite as \((x - 1)(2x + 1) \gt 0\): roots are \(x=-\frac{1}{2}\) and \(x=1\). "\(\gt\)" sign means that the given inequality holds true for: \(x \lt - \frac{1}{2}\) and \(x \gt 1\). \(x\) could still equal -1, so not sufficient.

(1)+(2) Intersection of the ranges from (1) and (2) is \(x \lt -1\) and \(x \gt 1\). Sufficient.

Hello Bunuel,
Is there any other method to solve this quickly ?? In a test environment sometimes it's hard to think like this and get answer timely.

Intern
Intern
M14-13 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Jan 2016, 12:08
I have some confusion about this question. From statement 1 taken x<-1 but not X>1/2 & from statement 2 taken only X<-1/2 but not X>1. Why cannot be considered X<-1/2 & X>1/2? would anyone like to clarify my confusion. Thank you.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
Concentration: General Management, Operations
GMAT 1: 660 Q47 V35
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V38
GPA: 3.81
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
M14-13 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Feb 2016, 02:49
Hi Bunuel,

I know this has to do something with inequalities changing signs when you go beyond extremes. But I needed a refresher on that. In particular I am stuck with how did you come up with this bit:

Quote:
">" sign means that the given inequality holds true for: x<−1x<−1and x>12x>12. xx could still equal 1, so not sufficient.

Is there any post which I can refer to solidify my concept of finding valid extreme values from Roots of the equation?

Thanks in advance.

Vaibhav.

Ok after doing a bit of looking around, I found this:

http://gmatclub.com/forum/inequalities-trick-91482.html#p804990

This serves the purpose.

Bunuel, is there any other slick/intuitive way of doing this such that one saves time without drawing the line graph and plotting roots on it during the exam?

Citius, Altius, Fortius

Expert Post
Math Expert
V

Show Tags

New post 21 Feb 2016, 09:31
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
vabhs192003 wrote:
Hi Bunuel,

I know this has to do something with inequalities changing signs when you go beyond extremes. But I needed a refresher on that. In particular I am stuck with how did you come up with this bit:

Quote:
">" sign means that the given inequality holds true for: x<−1x<−1and x>12x>12. xx could still equal 1, so not sufficient.

Is there any post which I can refer to solidify my concept of finding valid extreme values from Roots of the equation?

Thanks in advance.

Vaibhav.

Ok after doing a bit of looking around, I found this:

http://gmatclub.com/forum/inequalities-trick-91482.html#p804990

This serves the purpose.

Bunuel, is there any other slick/intuitive way of doing this such that one saves time without drawing the line graph and plotting roots on it during the exam?

Check below links:

Inequalities Made Easy!

Solving Quadratic Inequalities - Graphic Approach
Inequality tips

DS Inequalities Problems
PS Inequalities Problems

700+ Inequalities problems

New to the Math Forum?

Resources:

Collection of Questions:

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 05 Mar 2016, 15:35
This post received
KUDOS
Bunuel wrote:
Official Solution:

Hi Experts! I'm confused:

In statement (1) when you get X<-1 and X>1/2, doesn't this show that |X| is not >1?

When you plot the quadratic equation (2X-1)(X+1)>0 ---> 2X^2+X-1 >0, you get the range X<-1 and X>1/2, thus X obviously has a value at 1 -- meaning that X is not greater than 1. Wouldn't this make (1) sufficient?

Similarly in statement (2), the range is X<-1/2 and X>1, thus again X obviously has a value at -1 -- meaning that X is not less than -1. Again wouldn't this make (2) sufficient?

Thank you!

Working towards 25 Kudos for the Gmatclub Exams - help meee I'm poooor

Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Strategy, Economics
GMAT 1: 570 Q40 V28
GMAT 2: 740 Q49 V41
M14-13 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Nov 2016, 07:28
I found that the most efficient way, for me, was to plug in.

The question asks us to determine if \(x>1\) or \(x<-1\), so we just need to test 1,0, and -1 in both statements.

Statement 1 can be satisfied with 1 or any positive integer so it is not sufficient. It is worth noting that it can not be satisfied with -1 or 0.

Statement 2 can be satisfied with -1 or any negative integer, so it is not sufficient. It is with noting that it can not be satisfied with 0 nor with 1.

Combined, we see from stmt 1 that it can not be -1 or 0, and from stmt 2 that It can not be 1 or 0 so x must be either greater than 1 or less than -1.

I tried the curve approach but I did it in over 3 minutes so in this case it's not efficient for me.

Hope this helps.

Send some kudos this way if I was helpful! :)!

Manager
Manager
B
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 25 Dec 2016, 10:47
happyface101 wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
Official Solution:

In statement (1) when you get X<-1 and X>1/2, doesn't this show that |X| is not >1?

When you plot the quadratic equation (2X-1)(X+1)>0 ---> 2X^2+X-1 >0, you get the range X<-1 and X>1/2, thus X obviously has a value at 1 -- meaning that X is not greater than 1. Wouldn't this make (1) sufficient?

Similarly in statement (2), the range is X<-1/2 and X>1, thus again X obviously has a value at -1 -- meaning that X is not less than -1. Again wouldn't this make (2) sufficient?

Thank you!

please help me to understand:

S1: 2x^2+x-1>0 =>2x^2+x>1=>x(2x+1)>1=>x>1 or x>0....how it could be -1>x>1/2???
thnx
Expert Post
Math Expert
V

Show Tags

New post 25 Dec 2016, 10:53
gupta87 wrote:
happyface101 wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
Official Solution:

Thank you!

please help me to understand:

S1: 2x^2+x-1>0 =>2x^2+x>1=>x(2x+1)>1=>x>1 or x>0....how it could be -1>x>1/2???
thnx

This is totally wrong. You don't solve quadratic inequality this way. How/why did you conclude that x>1 or x>0 from x(2x+1)>1? By the way x>1 or x>0 does not make sense at all.

You need to return to basics and study inequalities:
Inequalities Made Easy!

Solving Quadratic Inequalities - Graphic Approach
Inequality tips

DS Inequalities Problems
PS Inequalities Problems

700+ Inequalities problems

Hope it helps.

New to the Math Forum?

Resources:

Collection of Questions:

Manager
Manager
B
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 25 Dec 2016, 11:54
understood. but from S1: 2x^2+x-1>0 => (x+1)(2x-1)>0 => x>-1 0r x>1/2...how do u arrive at x<-1 ??
Expert Post
Math Expert
V

Show Tags

New post 26 Dec 2016, 10:51
gupta87 wrote:
understood. but from S1: 2x^2+x-1>0 => (x+1)(2x-1)>0 => x>-1 0r x>1/2...how do u arrive at x<-1 ??

The red part does not makes sense. What does it means x>-1 or x>1/2? What can be x in this case? (x+1)(2x-1)>0 holds true for x<-1 and x>1/2. You should realy follow and study the links from my previous post.

New to the Math Forum?

Resources:

Collection of Questions:

Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 17 Dec 2017, 04:09
Bunuel wrote:
Official Solution:

Hi Bunuel,

My approach is a bit different from yours but uses the same concept. But I'm getting an incorrect answer. Could you please advise which step I'm following wrong?

As per question Stem -

x >1
X< -1

Choice A ( I didn't multiply by -1 the way you did)

I got equation - -1< X <1/2 - So answer is No for the value of X

Choice B ( I didn't multiply by -1 the way you did)

Equation : -1/2 < X < 1 - So answer is No for the value of X

Hence I marked D in GMAT Club test which is incorrect. Could you please advise how we can solve without multiplying by - 1? And in which step I'm wrong?
2 KUDOS received
PS Forum Moderator
D
GPA: 3.82
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
M14-13 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Dec 2017, 05:00
This post received
KUDOS
NeverGiveUp- Arpit wrote:

Hi Bunuel,

My approach is a bit different from yours but uses the same concept. But I'm getting an incorrect answer. Could you please advise which step I'm following wrong?

As per question Stem -

x >1
X< -1

Equation :-1/2 < X < 1 - So answer is No for the value of X

Hence I marked D in GMAT Club test which is incorrect. Could you please advise how we can solve without multiplying by - 1? And in which step I'm wrong?

Hi @NeverGiveUp- Arpit

The highlighted portion is incorrect. even if you are not multiplying with -1, then you need to realize that co-efficient of x will be negative, so on a number line range will start from negative values. Hence when you plot the roots of the quadratic equation on a number line then the range of x will be in the negative regions because the inequality is negative. Refer below image for clarity -

Attachment:
inequality.jpg

Similarly for statement B

basically as per your range 0 is a possible solution. so when you put x=0 in statement 1, you will get 1<0, which is not possible
>> !!!

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 17 Dec 2017, 05:10
niks18 wrote:
NeverGiveUp- Arpit wrote:

Hi Bunuel,

As per question Stem -

x >1
X< -1

Equation :-1/2 < X < 1 - So answer is No for the value of X

Hi @NeverGiveUp- Arpit

The highlighted portion is incorrect. even if you are not multiplying with -1, then you need to realize that co-efficient of x will be negative, so on a number line range will start from negative values. Hence when you plot the roots of the quadratic equation on a number line then the range of x will be in the negative regions because the inequality is negative. Refer below image for clarity -

Attachment:
inequality.jpg

Similarly for statement B

basically as per your range 0 is a possible solution. so when you put x=0 in statement 1, you will get 1<0, which is not possible

Makes sense. Cheers mate.
Intern
Intern
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 08 Feb 2018, 02:09
Hello all,

how can we just rewrite (1-2x)(1+x) as (2x-1)(x+1) ? How did we turn around the signs for the first braket?

Best
Re: M14-13   [#permalink] 08 Feb 2018, 02:09

Go to page    1   2    Next  [ 23 posts ] 

M14-13

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderators: chetan2u, Bunuel

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap