Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 19:23 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 19:23

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 404 [85]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Alum
Own Kudos [?]: 51447 [11]
Given Kudos: 2326
Concentration: Leadership, General Management
Schools: Ross '20 (M)
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GMAT 2: 740 Q49 V42 (Online)
GMAT 3: 760 Q50 V42 (Online)
GPA: 3.8
WE:Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 50 [10]
Given Kudos: 79
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 100 [3]
Send PM
Re: Many analysts have recently predicted that democratic institutions wil [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
iamba wrote:
Many analysts have recently predicted that democratic institutions will develop in China, as the growth of democracy has generally followed industrial development in other countries throughout the 20th century.
A) has generally followed industrial development
B) generally followed industrial development
C) had generally followed industrial development
D) generally follows industrial development
E) followed general industrial development

'has' is present perfect that is used for action continuing until now.

C - past perfect - not required here
D - presentence - wrong
E - changing word order changes the meaning

A, B - left

as we are in 21st century - i am going with B. I dont know if that action is still continuing until now.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 171 [0]
Send PM
Re: Many analysts have recently predicted that democratic institutions wil [#permalink]
I think author is stating the second part as a matter of fact like
Sun sets in the west.

It has to be present-simple.

I like D.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 270 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
asaf wrote:
I think author is stating the second part as a matter of fact like
Sun sets in the west.

It has to be present-simple.

I like D.

D would be okay if there was no ' in the 20th century' at the end of the century .

This is a tricky one but A seems the correct one for me.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 49 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT Date: 08-07-2013
GPA: 3.33
WE:Consulting (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Why not A and D?

A - Since it has been a trend, using "Has generally followed" seems good
D - talking about something that happens in general, can't we say "generally follows Industrial development"?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 92 [1]
Given Kudos: 8
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT Date: 08-25-2013
Send PM
Kudos
Aniketa wrote:
Why not A and D?

A - Since it has been a trend, using "Has generally followed" seems good
D - talking about something that happens in general, can't we say "generally follows Industrial development"?

Hi Aniketa,

The reason for eliminating A is that we are referring to an event in the past past with the phrase “throughout the 20th century,” making the use of the present perfect tense incorrect.

Hope it helps.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 50 [3]
Given Kudos: 79
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Indeed when a action starts in the past, and the effect continues we use present perfect.

20th century is Past and the phrase "throughout the 20th century" restricts the meaning.

Consider below sentences.

1. India became an independent country in 1947. Correct

2. India has become a independent country since 1947 . Correct

3. India has become a independent country in 1947. Wrong

Hope It helps !!!!!
(Note Point 2 uses "Since")
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64903 [4]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
iamba wrote:
Many analysts have recently predicted that democratic institutions will develop in China, as the growth of democracy has generally followed industrial development in other countries throughout the 20th century.

Responding to a pm:

Quote:
My question is, how do I know if the action is still continuing? Also how do I eliminate the possibility that we are not dealing with a statement made in the 20th century? I'm asking this because, a few folks on the foum did argue that this is 21st century, but the question talks about 20th century, so it should be in the past. But, how do we know that the sentence was not spoken in the 20th century? Could you please guide me with the logic here?

The use of "throughout the 20th century" shows that we need to use simple past. We are talking about some time span in the past. It is the 21st century now and even if we did not know this, the use of "throughout" shows that the 20th century is over now. So we are talking about the 20th century now when 20th century is over. Analysts have "recently" predicted this. They did not predict this is the 20th century.
Hence option (B) is correct.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Given Kudos: 100
mvictor wrote:
souvik101990 wrote:
This question is part of the GMAT Club Sentence Correction : Verb Tense Revision Project.

A. has generally followed industrial development

B. generally followed industrial development

C. had generally followed industrial development

D. generally follows industrial development

E. followed general industrial development

cracked it in under a minute...
since we have "20 century" - something already happened/past, present perfect is incorrect here.
B - looks good.
C- past perfect - no! past perfect is needed when we have two events in the past, and one happened before the another. what is the other event that happened after "followed"?
D - follows - present simple is not correct here for an event that already happened.
E - followed general industrial development is not the same as generally followed industrial development. general seems to be an adjective which modifies industrial development while it needs to be an adverb...

You say in C: "o! past perfect is needed when we have two events in the past, and one happened before the another. what is the other event that happened after "followed"?"

But what about "recently predicted" ? They predicted (past) and the development in china was before that (namely during the 20th century)

Furthermore, souvik101990

could you (or anyone else) explain to me why we do not have to use has/have followed since the event in the past occurred not at a specific moment but throughout a whole century
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Given Kudos: 100
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
iamba wrote:

Responding to a pm:

Quote:
My question is, how do I know if the action is still continuing? Also how do I eliminate the possibility that we are not dealing with a statement made in the 20th century? I'm asking this because, a few folks on the foum did argue that this is 21st century, but the question talks about 20th century, so it should be in the past. But, how do we know that the sentence was not spoken in the 20th century? Could you please guide me with the logic here?

The use of "throughout the 20th century" shows that we need to use simple past. We are talking about some time span in the past. It is the 21st century now and even if we did not know this, the use of "throughout" shows that the 20th century is over now. So we are talking about the 20th century now when 20th century is over. Analysts have "recently" predicted this. They did not predict this is the 20th century.

I do not understand, why do we have to use simple past for a time span in the past ? https://www.differencebetween.net/langua ... have-been/
I thought we use have/has verb+ed for exactly that purpose ..?
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Expert Reply
asdfghjklasdfghj wrote:
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
iamba wrote:

Responding to a pm:

Quote:

I do not understand, why do we have to use simple past for a time span in the past ? https://www.differencebetween.net/langua ... have-been/
I thought we use have/has verb+ed for exactly that purpose ..?

The action "following" started and completed in the past It is not intended to indicate that there is some effect of that action in the present, hence no present perfect is required- Moreover this action does not occur before another action in the past, hence past perfect is also not required. Simple past is alright.

Also please note that when an event continues for a span of time in the past, past continuous is required, not present perfect or past perfect as you mentioned.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 88 [0]
Given Kudos: 35
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
A) has generally followed industrial development <throughout the 20th century. >
the effect is not present now as we are in 21st century.
precise. correct.
D) generally follows industrial development <throughout the 20th century. >
changes meaning.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 733 [0]
Given Kudos: 362
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 730 Q47 V44
GPA: 3.4
Send PM
I do understand the explanations, however, I am a little surprised that we were asked to bring outside information into an SC question.

Yes, everyone should be aware of the century we live in, however, would the answer have been a different one if the question was posed in 1999?

Regards,
Chris
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 46 [0]
Given Kudos: 139
GPA: 4
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Can you give thorough explanation for this sentence. Thanks.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Hi,
It is still not clear why the past perfect tense is incorrect here. Isn't "predicted that democratic insti. ..." the action/verb in the past that occurs after the growth of democracy following industrial development? So the growth occurred first in the 20th century, and then we predicted.

Thank you for your help!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 47
Send PM
felixduan320 wrote:
Hi,
It is still not clear why the past perfect tense is incorrect here. Isn't "predicted that democratic insti. ..." the action/verb in the past that occurs after the growth of democracy following industrial development? So the growth occurred first in the 20th century, and then we predicted.

Thank you for your help!

Can some please explain why the usage of past perfect is wrong.(predicted and followed both are past)

EducationAisle egmat
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [1]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Many analysts have recently predicted that democratic institutions wil [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
mahi816 wrote:
Can some please explain why the usage of past perfect is wrong.(predicted and followed both are past)

Hi! Believe you are referring to option C.

The sentence does not use predicted, but have predicted. That's present perfect.

For the latter part of the sentence, according to the intended meaning, following is the sequence of the events:
i) industrial development
ii) growth of democracy

So, even if a case is made for use of past perfect, it will be for the earlier of the two events: industrial development

In C however, past perfect (had followed) is used for growth of democracy. That is incorrect.

You can watch our video on Past Perfect Tense here.

p.s. Our book EducationAisle Sentence Correction Nirvana discusses Past perfect tense, its application and examples in significant detail. If you or someone is interested, PM me your email-id; I can mail the corresponding section.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1292 [0]
Given Kudos: 351
Send PM

A) has generally followed industrial development -> As the activity continued, we got hint from "throughout the 20th century", this option is incorrect. "has followed" means, activity ended just now. It is not the intended meaning.

B) generally followed industrial development -> Simple past is better.

C) had generally followed industrial development -> Do we have two actions, to say, "had followed". It is incorrect.

D) generally follows industrial development -> We need past tense.

E) followed general industrial development -> Meaning changed.

So, I think B. :)
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts