GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 15 Oct 2019, 04:25

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Many Caliovian consumers are committed to using products containing

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Manager
Manager
avatar
S
Joined: 12 Mar 2015
Posts: 52
Location: United States
GMAT 1: 670 Q45 V38
GPA: 2.99
WE: Corporate Finance (Aerospace and Defense)
GMAT ToolKit User
Many Caliovian consumers are committed to using products containing  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 12 Jul 2018, 07:56
2
31
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  45% (medium)

Question Stats:

69% (01:54) correct 31% (02:05) wrong based on 813 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Many Caliovian consumers are committed to using products containing recycled materials. Caliovia's government is about to publish a book that will help consumers identify such products. The book offers a comprehensive listing, by product type and brand, of goods sold in Caliovia that contain recycled materials. However, consumer advocates predict that the book will not lead to a significant increase in Caliovia in the use of products containing recycled materials.

Which of the following, if true, provides the best grounds for the consumer advocates' prediction?

(A) Caliovia does not require product labels to specify whether the product contains recycled materials.

(B) For the most frequently purchased product types listed in the book, all the brands available in Caliovia contain recycled materials.

(C) In many cases, manufacturers that have used recycled materials in their products have done so in order to keep costs low.

(D) New brands of products coming on the market in Caliovia that are made with recycled materials will be at a disadvantage

(E) The book does not specify the exact composition of any of the products it lists.

Originally posted by alandizzle on 29 Jan 2017, 18:58.
Last edited by hazelnut on 12 Jul 2018, 07:56, edited 2 times in total.
Most Helpful Community Reply
VP
VP
avatar
P
Joined: 12 Dec 2016
Posts: 1492
Location: United States
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V33
GPA: 3.64
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Many Caliovian consumers are committed to using products containing  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Jul 2017, 05:20
5
yes, this is a common pattern in gmat. That is, the conclusion is about why a plan may not work. The answer will be something about the result is already achieved before the plan is carried out.

" that contain recycled materials" is the key word -> B wins.
In C, the scope shifts to "low cost"
General Discussion
Retired Moderator
User avatar
S
Joined: 18 Sep 2014
Posts: 1096
Location: India
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: Many Caliovian consumers are committed to using products containing  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Jan 2017, 19:37
1
Top Contributor
alandizzle wrote:
Many Caliovian consumers are committed to using products containing recycled materials. Caliovia's government is about to publish a book that will help consumers identify such products. The book offers a comprehensive listing, by product type and brand, of goods sold in Caliovia that contain recycled materials. However, consumer advocates predict that the book will not lead to a significant increase in Caliovia in the use of products containing recycled materials.

Which of the following, if true, provides the best grounds for the consumer advocates' prediction?

A: Caliovia does not require product labels to specify whether the product contains recycled materials.

B. For the most frequently purchased product types listed in the book, all the brands available in Caliovia contain recycled materials.

C: In many cases, manufacturers that have used recycled materials in their products have done so in order to keep costs low.

D: New brands of products coming on the market in Caliovia that are made with recycled materials will be at a disadvantage

E: The book does not specify the exact composition of any of the products it lists.


The question is pretty simple and I doubt if it is 700 level question.
The question asks for a reason that forms basis for consumer advocates' prediction on why why the book may not lead to a significant increase in use of products containing recycled materials.

simple............why don't you need a new thing or why doesn't new thing help you. The reason can be either it does not share good info or you are choosing the same products mentioned in the book before also.

Only option B accounts for this reason.
Manager
Manager
avatar
S
Joined: 12 Mar 2015
Posts: 52
Location: United States
GMAT 1: 670 Q45 V38
GPA: 2.99
WE: Corporate Finance (Aerospace and Defense)
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Many Caliovian consumers are committed to using products containing  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Jan 2017, 21:25
Nevernevergiveup wrote:
alandizzle wrote:
Many Caliovian consumers are committed to using products containing recycled materials. Caliovia's government is about to publish a book that will help consumers identify such products. The book offers a comprehensive listing, by product type and brand, of goods sold in Caliovia that contain recycled materials. However, consumer advocates predict that the book will not lead to a significant increase in Caliovia in the use of products containing recycled materials.

Which of the following, if true, provides the best grounds for the consumer advocates' prediction?

A: Caliovia does not require product labels to specify whether the product contains recycled materials.

B. For the most frequently purchased product types listed in the book, all the brands available in Caliovia contain recycled materials.

C: In many cases, manufacturers that have used recycled materials in their products have done so in order to keep costs low.

D: New brands of products coming on the market in Caliovia that are made with recycled materials will be at a disadvantage

E: The book does not specify the exact composition of any of the products it lists.


The question is pretty simple and I doubt if it is 700 level question.
The question asks for a reason that forms basis for consumer advocates' prediction on why why the book may not lead to a significant increase in use of products containing recycled materials.

simple............why don't you need a new thing or why doesn't new thing help you. The reason can be either it does not share good info or you are choosing the same products mentioned in the book before also.

Only option B accounts for this reason.


Sorry, I was trying to click 600-700. Must have forgotten to click the correct bubble.
Retired Moderator
User avatar
S
Joined: 18 Sep 2014
Posts: 1096
Location: India
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: Many Caliovian consumers are committed to using products containing  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Jan 2017, 21:32
2
Top Contributor
alandizzle wrote:

Sorry, I was trying to click 600-700. Must have forgotten to click the correct bubble.


Its ok. I have done it.
You can remove the tag by clicking on the X mark at the end of it and selecting the new tag from the Add the tag option above post.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 12 Jan 2019
Posts: 50
Re: Many Caliovian consumers are committed to using products containing  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Jan 2019, 23:15
The question asks for a reason that forms basis for consumer advocates' prediction on why why the book may not lead to a significant increase in use of products containing recycled materials.
The reason could be either people don’t read books or the all the products available are recycled.
Here, nothing has been given about the reading habits of people of Caliovian. So, the possible reason is that all the products available are recycled. Hence, B is the answer.
VP
VP
User avatar
P
Joined: 14 Feb 2017
Posts: 1170
Location: Australia
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
Schools: LBS '22
GMAT 1: 560 Q41 V26
GMAT 2: 550 Q43 V23
GMAT 3: 650 Q47 V33
GMAT 4: 650 Q44 V36
WE: Management Consulting (Consulting)
Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: Many Caliovian consumers are committed to using products containing  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Jul 2019, 01:57
The argument is a prediction made by Consumer Advocates, stating that the book won't increase consumption of products containing recycled materials and we are asked to support this "justify".

The evidence used to support the argument is that:
1. Consumers are committed to using recycled material products
2. The book that is to be published by the Govn't contains a comprehensive listing of products containing such recycled materials.

POE
A is incorrect because the book covers this. Even if the labels don't contain information about whether the recycled materials are inside of them, consumers will still be able to identify goods that contain such recycled materials
B is correct because it indicates that consumers, who are in fact committed to using recycled materials, are already enacting the plan by purchasing goods that already contain recycled materials
C is incorrect because the motives of manufacturer's in producing the recycled materials is not conducive to whether the plan will succeed
D is incorrect because the book does not differentiate between new or existing brands, and the fact that new brands will be at a disadvantage does not indicate why the plan won't be successful per prediction.
E is incorrect because the composition is irrelevant. Unless we are explicitly told "consumers only buy recycled products that list out the composition of each product" then this information is useless.
_________________
Goal: Q49, V41

+1 Kudos if I have helped you
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Many Caliovian consumers are committed to using products containing   [#permalink] 11 Jul 2019, 01:57
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Many Caliovian consumers are committed to using products containing

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  





Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne