GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 18 Sep 2018, 21:07

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Many politicians, business leaders, and scholars discount the role of

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 02 Nov 2009
Posts: 128
Many politicians, business leaders, and scholars discount the role of  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 18 Jun 2018, 00:46
9
29
Question 1
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Question Stats:

63% (02:03) correct 37% (01:45) wrong based on 1072

HideShow timer Statistics

Question 2
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Question Stats:

58% (01:06) correct 42% (01:11) wrong based on 905

HideShow timer Statistics

Question 3
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Question Stats:

41% (00:28) correct 59% (00:26) wrong based on 996

HideShow timer Statistics

Question 4
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Question Stats:

75% (00:38) correct 25% (00:33) wrong based on 906

HideShow timer Statistics

Many politicians, business leaders, and scholars discount the role of public policy and emphasize the role of the labor market when explaining employers’ maternity-leave policies, arguing that prior to the passage of the Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA) of 1993, employers were already providing maternity leave in response to the increase in the number of women workers. Employers did create maternity-leave programs in the 1970’s and 1980’s, but not as a purely voluntary response in the absence of any government mandate. In 1972, the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) ruled that employers who allowed leaves for disabling medical conditions must also allow them for maternity and that failure to do so would constitute sex discrimination under the Civil Rights Act of 1964. As early as 1973, a survey found that 58 percent of large employers had responded with new maternity-leave policies. Because the 1972 EEOC ruling was contested in court, the ruling won press attention that popularized maternity-leave policies. Yet perhaps because the Supreme Court later struck down the ruling, politicians and scholars have failed to recognize its effects, assuming that employers adopted maternity-leave policies in response to the growing feminization of the workforce.

1. It can be inferred that the author of the passage would be most likely to agree with which of the following statements about government policy?

(A) Government policy is generally unaffected by pressures in the labor market.
(B) The impact of a given government policy is generally weakened by sustained press attention.
(C) It is possible for a particular government policy to continue to have an impact after that policy has been eliminated.
(D) A given government policy can be counterproductive when that policy has already unofficially been implemented.
(E) The impact of a given government policy is generally weakened when the ruling is contested in court.



2. The passage suggests that the relationship between the view of the author with respect to maternity leave policy prior to passage of the FMLA and the view of the politicians, business leaders, and scholars mentioned in lines 1-2 can best be characterized by which of the following statements?

(A) They agree that both the 1972 EEOC ruling on maternity-leave policy and the increasing feminization of the workplace had an impact on employers’ creation of maternity-leave programs but disagree about the relative importance of each factor.
(B) They agree that the EEOC ruling on maternity-leave policy had an initial impact on employers’ creation of maternity-leave programs but disagree over whether the Supreme Court’s striking down of the EEOC ruling weakened that impact.
(C) They agree that creating maternity-leave programs was a necessary response to the needs of the increasing number of women workers but disagree about whether maternity should be classified as a disabling medical condition.
(D) They agree that employers created maternity-leave programs prior to passage of the FMLA but disagree about employers’ motivations for doing so.
(E) They agree that employers created maternity-leave programs prior to passage of the FMLA but disagree about how widespread those programs were.



3. The primary purpose of the passage is to

(A) present an alternative to a commonly accepted explanation for a phenomenon
(B) reexamine a previously discredited explanation for a phenomenon in light of new evidence
(C) criticize politicians and scholars for failing to anticipate a phenomenon
(D) correct a common misconception about the impact a phenomenon has had on a government policy
(E) analyze the ways in which a phenomenon has changed over time in response to market forces



4. According to the passage, the 1972 EEOC ruling did which of the following?

(A) It provided a government mandate for maternity-leave policies that employers were already offering voluntarily.
(B) It provoked a controversy among employers regarding the proper implementation of maternity-leave policies.
(C) It required all employers to provide employee leave for pregnant women and people with disabling medical conditions.
(D) It gave pregnant women the same rights to employee leave as people with disabling medical conditions.
(E) It increased pregnant women's awareness of their rights to employee leave.



Originally posted by venmic on 16 Aug 2012, 09:52.
Last edited by hazelnut on 18 Jun 2018, 00:46, edited 2 times in total.
Added Q-3&4 and answers
Most Helpful Expert Reply
Manhattan Prep Instructor
User avatar
Joined: 30 Apr 2012
Posts: 795
Re: Many politicians, business leaders, and scholars discount the role of  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Aug 2012, 20:53
10
2
If you want to get this question right, you have to have a solid understanding of the overall point of the passage. This passage is confusing because the point of the passage is to opposes the "point" made by the politicians. Politicians say that maternity leave is a result of labor market forces because public policy didn't exist until 1993. The author counters the politicians' point by saying that businesses started to change their maternity leave policies in 1972 in response to a ruling from the EEOC even though the ruling was struck down by the Court. Therefore, the driving force behind the change was not the labor market forces, but rather the short-lived public policy.

Answer choice C essentially restates the point of the passage. Public policy (the EEOC ruling) still has an impact (on maternity leave) even after eliminated (by the Court).

KW
_________________


Kyle Widdison | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | Utah


Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile



General Discussion
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 17 Apr 2012
Posts: 57
GMAT Date: 11-02-2012
Re: Many politicians, business leaders, and scholars discount the role of  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Oct 2012, 10:40
KyleWiddison wrote:
If you want to get this question right, you have to have a solid understanding of the overall point of the passage. This passage is confusing because the point of the passage is to opposes the "point" made by the politicians. Politicians say that maternity leave is a result of labor market forces because public policy didn't exist until 1993. The author counters the politicians' point by saying that businesses started to change their maternity leave policies in 1972 in response to a ruling from the EEOC even though the ruling was struck down by the Court. Therefore, the driving force behind the change was not the labor market forces, but rather the short-lived public policy.

Answer choice C essentially restates the point of the passage. Public policy (the EEOC ruling) still has an impact (on maternity leave) even after eliminated (by the Court).

KW


Hi Kyle, can you please explain the reasoning for the below question from the same passage:

The passage suggests that the relationship between the view of the author with respect to maternity leave policy prior to passage of the FMLA and the view of the politicians, business leaders, and scholars mentioned in lines 1-2 can best be characterized by which of the following statements?

A. They agree that both the 1972 EEOC ruling on maternity-leave policy and the increasing feminization of the workplace had an impact on employers’ creation of maternity-leave programs but disagree about the relative importance of each factor.

B. They agree that the EEOC ruling on maternity-leave policy had an initial impact on employers' creation of maternity-leave programs but disagree over whether the Supreme Court's striking down of the EEOC ruling weakened that impact.

C. They agree that creating maternity-leave programs was a necessary response to the needs of the increasing number of women workers but disagree about whether maternity should be classified as a disabling medical condition.

D. They agree that employers created maternity-leave programs prior to passage of the FMLA but disagree about employers' motivations for doing so.

E. They agree that employers created maternity-leave programs prior to passage of the FMLA but disagree about how widespread those programs were.


There is lot of discussion going on between B and D, I chose D over B, although OA is B.
I find Option "B" wrong as it is clearly mentioned in the passage that "perhaps because the Supreme Court later struck down
the ruling, politicians and scholars have failed to
recognize its effects, assuming that employers adopted
maternity-leave policies in response to the growing
feminization of the workforce."
Manhattan Prep Instructor
User avatar
Joined: 30 Apr 2012
Posts: 795
Re: Many politicians, business leaders, and scholars discount the role of  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Oct 2012, 22:42
1
Are you certain the OA is B? I would be willing to bet that the OA is D on this one...

KW
_________________


Kyle Widdison | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | Utah


Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile



Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 16 Mar 2013
Posts: 53
Reviews Badge
Re: Many politicians, business leaders, and scholars discount the role of  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Apr 2013, 06:39
Hey guyzz, the last paragraph especially the last sentence clearly states that the answer choice is C.

Even when the policy is ruled down, its effects are still present as the politicians and the scholars fail to see the effects.

Thanks and regards,
Amit
_________________

'The best way to thank or appreciate efforts on this forum is to give Kudos.'

Manhattan Prep Instructor
User avatar
Joined: 30 Apr 2012
Posts: 795
Re: Many politicians, business leaders, and scholars discount the role of  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 26 Aug 2014, 14:39
My first post in the thread relates to the first question and my second post relates to the second question. This would be my third post (if you are keeping track :) ).

KW
_________________


Kyle Widdison | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | Utah


Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile




Originally posted by KyleWiddison on 27 Apr 2013, 06:51.
Last edited by KyleWiddison on 26 Aug 2014, 14:39, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 08 Apr 2013
Posts: 188
Re: Many politicians, business leaders, and scholars discount the role of  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Jul 2014, 21:50
I think it is C and D'

I like this passage because it is typical of gmat passages. I hope Veritas make more passages like this
_________________

If anyone in this gmat forum is in England,Britain, pls, email to me, (thanghnvn@gmail.com) . I have some questions and need your advise. Thank a lot.

Retired Moderator
avatar
B
Status: On a mountain of skulls, in the castle of pain, I sit on a throne of blood.
Joined: 30 Jul 2013
Posts: 344
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: Many politicians, business leaders, and scholars discount the role of  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Aug 2014, 06:22
Why is the 2nd OA to this passage B? I think it should be D!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 08 Apr 2012
Posts: 387
Re: Many politicians, business leaders, and scholars discount the role of  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Aug 2014, 09:02
I also chose D for Q2.
Can anyone confirm that the OA is B and explain why?
Manhattan Prep Instructor
User avatar
Joined: 30 Apr 2012
Posts: 795
Re: Many politicians, business leaders, and scholars discount the role of  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Aug 2014, 14:38
2
ronr34 wrote:
I also chose D for Q2.
Can anyone confirm that the OA is B and explain why?


I'm going to quote myself as a source here. The answer to question 2 is D - Both groups agree that programs existed before FMLA but differ on the motivations. There are recognized programs before FMLA but the author is suggesting that early public policy did have an impact on those program's creation but politicians (and others) believe that programs resulted from the increasingly feminized workforce.

The answer cannot be B because the politicians (and others) do NOT recognize the EEOC ruling as having an impact because it was struck down but the Supreme Court (see the last few lines of the passage).

KW
_________________


Kyle Widdison | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | Utah


Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile



Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 05 Nov 2012
Posts: 491
Concentration: Technology, Other
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Many politicians, business leaders, and scholars discount the role of  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Jun 2015, 08:18
Total Time: 6 mins. All Correct
_________________

--------------------------------------------------------
Regards :)

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Status: 2 months to go
Joined: 11 Oct 2015
Posts: 121
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.8
Re: Many politicians, business leaders, and scholars discount the role of  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Aug 2016, 02:04

3 new questions from GMATPrep EP2



Image



Image

]C


Image

]D


Divyadisha, thangvietnam as you liked the other passage I'm sure you'll fancy this as well \(;)\)
Verbal Forum Moderator
User avatar
V
Status: Greatness begins beyond your comfort zone
Joined: 08 Dec 2013
Posts: 2114
Location: India
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Kelley '20, ISB '19
GPA: 3.2
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: Many politicians, business leaders, and scholars discount the role of  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Aug 2016, 04:23
Took 6 mins and 40 seconds :? , including 2 mins 10 seconds to read the passage
-The author presents an opinion held by certain politicians, business leaders and scholars
-The author then presents a case on why that opinion is not entirely true

1.
"Yet perhaps because the Supreme Court later struck down the ruling, politicians and scholars have failed to recognize its effects, assuming that employers adopted maternity-leave policies in response to the growing feminization of the workforce"

Since the author believes that public policy dictated the most change in employers’ maternal leave policies it can be inferred that the author believes that a govt polivy can continue to have an impact even after it has been eliminated. Hence option (C ).

2.
" Employers did create maternity-leave programs in the 1970’s and 1980’s, but not as a purely voluntary response in the absence of any government mandate"

Option (D) accurately summarizes the above excerpt and is hence correct.
_________________

When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it. - Henry Ford
The Moment You Think About Giving Up, Think Of The Reason Why You Held On So Long
+1 Kudos if you find this post helpful

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
S
Joined: 07 Sep 2014
Posts: 405
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
Re: Many politicians, business leaders, and scholars discount the role of  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Aug 2016, 22:46
DensetsuNo wrote:

3 new questions from GMATPrep EP2



Image



Image

]C


Image

]D


Divyadisha, thangvietnam as you liked the other passage I'm sure you'll fancy this as well \(;)\)


I don't agree what 1972 EEOc ruling did.
It is clear by the end that court has struck down the deal. (and the deal was the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) ruled that employers who allowed leaves for disabling medical conditions must also allow them for maternity and that failure to do)

so the impact was - Because the 1972 EEOC ruling was contested in court, the ruling won press attention that popularized maternity-leave policies.

So awareness about the maternity policy was what 1972 EEOC ruling did.


The primary purpose of the passage is to analysis this - "ruling, politicians and scholars have failed to recognize its effects". it was not to provide "Alternative explanation" but to "correct a misconception"
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 20 Jul 2014
Posts: 20
Location: India
GMAT 1: 710 Q46 V41
GPA: 3.16
Re: Many politicians, business leaders, and scholars discount the role of  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Aug 2016, 06:30
Hi guys,

I got all the answers right, but to the question "According to the passage, the 1972 ruling did which of the following" question - I spent a lot of time deliberating between C and D.

I finally marked D, but can someone please present an explanation to clearly show why C is incorrect?

Thank you!
Current Student
User avatar
B
Joined: 25 Feb 2014
Posts: 226
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V38
Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Many politicians, business leaders, and scholars discount the role of  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Sep 2016, 13:11
1
Neeraj91 wrote:
Hi guys,

I got all the answers right, but to the question "According to the passage, the 1972 ruling did which of the following" question - I spent a lot of time deliberating between C and D.

I finally marked D, but can someone please present an explanation to clearly show why C is incorrect?

Thank you!

C is wrong because 1972 ruling said that employers who allowed leave for disabilities should also allow leave for maternity. So leave for disabilities was already there and court did not allow leave for that in 1972.
_________________

Consider KUDOS if my post helped :)

I got the eye of the tiger, a fighter, dancing through the fire
'Cause I am a champion and you're gonna hear me roar

Board of Directors
User avatar
V
Status: Stepping into my 10 years long dream
Joined: 18 Jul 2015
Posts: 3676
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: Many politicians, business leaders, and scholars discount the role of  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Oct 2016, 07:27
5 mins. All correct. CD

2nd question is a bit tricky.
_________________

My GMAT Story: From V21 to V40
My MBA Journey: My 10 years long MBA Dream
My Secret Hacks: Best way to use GMATClub | Importance of an Error Log!
Verbal Resources: All SC Resources at one place | All CR Resources at one place
Blog: Subscribe to Question of the Day Blog

GMAT Club Inbuilt Error Log Functionality - View More.
New Visa Forum - Ask all your Visa Related Questions - here.

New! Best Reply Functionality on GMAT Club!



Find a bug in the new email templates and get rewarded with 2 weeks of GMATClub Tests for free

Manager
Manager
avatar
S
Joined: 13 Dec 2013
Posts: 161
Location: United States (NY)
Concentration: Nonprofit, International Business
GMAT 1: 710 Q46 V41
GMAT 2: 720 Q48 V40
GPA: 4
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Reviews Badge
Re: Many politicians, business leaders, and scholars discount the role of  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Apr 2017, 19:16
vivekdixit07 wrote:
KyleWiddison wrote:
If you want to get this question right, you have to have a solid understanding of the overall point of the passage. This passage is confusing because the point of the passage is to opposes the "point" made by the politicians. Politicians say that maternity leave is a result of labor market forces because public policy didn't exist until 1993. The author counters the politicians' point by saying that businesses started to change their maternity leave policies in 1972 in response to a ruling from the EEOC even though the ruling was struck down by the Court. Therefore, the driving force behind the change was not the labor market forces, but rather the short-lived public policy.

Answer choice C essentially restates the point of the passage. Public policy (the EEOC ruling) still has an impact (on maternity leave) even after eliminated (by the Court).

KW


Hi Kyle, can you please explain the reasoning for the below question from the same passage:

The passage suggests that the relationship between the view of the author with respect to maternity leave policy prior to passage of the FMLA and the view of the politicians, business leaders, and scholars mentioned in lines 1-2 can best be characterized by which of the following statements?

A. They agree that both the 1972 EEOC ruling on maternity-leave policy and the increasing feminization of the workplace had an impact on employers’ creation of maternity-leave programs but disagree about the relative importance of each factor.

B. They agree that the EEOC ruling on maternity-leave policy had an initial impact on employers' creation of maternity-leave programs but disagree over whether the Supreme Court's striking down of the EEOC ruling weakened that impact.

C. They agree that creating maternity-leave programs was a necessary response to the needs of the increasing number of women workers but disagree about whether maternity should be classified as a disabling medical condition.

D. They agree that employers created maternity-leave programs prior to passage of the FMLA but disagree about employers' motivations for doing so.

E. They agree that employers created maternity-leave programs prior to passage of the FMLA but disagree about how widespread those programs were.


There is lot of discussion going on between B and D, I chose D over B, although OA is B.
I find Option "B" wrong as it is clearly mentioned in the passage that "perhaps because the Supreme Court later struck down
the ruling, politicians and scholars have failed to
recognize its effects, assuming that employers adopted
maternity-leave policies in response to the growing
feminization of the workforce."


B is incorrect. There is no evidence to suggest that politicians etc. agreed that the "EEOC ruling on maternity-leave policy had an initial impact on employers' creation of maternity-leave programs". In fact, the passage states that they "discount public policy".

Agree?
Director
Director
User avatar
P
Joined: 26 Aug 2016
Posts: 669
Location: India
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V33
GMAT 2: 700 Q50 V33
GMAT 3: 730 Q51 V38
GPA: 4
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Many politicians, business leaders, and scholars discount the role of  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Apr 2017, 08:14
8 min all correct need to Decrease time though.
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 11 Jul 2017
Posts: 11
CAT Tests
Re: Many politicians, business leaders, and scholars discount the role of  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Aug 2017, 11:51
"According to the passage, the 1972 EEOC ruling did which..."

Isn't D wrong for the same reason as C.... The passage says "employers who allowed leaves.." , this implies that not ALL employers necessarily allowed leave.

as such, the generalization in answer D "pregnant women" is incorrect as well. if a pregnant women works at a company who offers no leave to any employees, then she does not have the same rights regarding work leave as "people with disabling conditions" that work for say, a different company. so pregnant women have the same rights as the disabled in the same company, but to generalize that all pregnant have these rights would be incorrect.

answer E on the other hand is irrefutable. Please advise?
Re: Many politicians, business leaders, and scholars discount the role of &nbs [#permalink] 27 Aug 2017, 11:51

Go to page    1   2    Next  [ 28 posts ] 

Display posts from previous: Sort by

Many politicians, business leaders, and scholars discount the role of

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.