Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 19:24 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 19:24

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 2900 [72]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [6]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 487 [7]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1209 [4]
Given Kudos: 34
Concentration: Marketing, Technology
Send PM
Re: Many writers of modern English have acquired careless habits that dama [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
spriya wrote:
Many writers of modern English have acquired careless habits that damage the clarity of their prose, but these habits can be broken if they are willing to take the necessary trouble.
(A) but these habits can be broken
(B) but these habits are breakable
(C) but they can break these habits
(D) which can be broken
(E) except that can be broken

Many writers of modern English have acquired ..., but they can break these habits if they are willing .....trouble.
^
|------------------------------------------------------------------|-----------------------------------|

In choice C, the subjects are absolutely parallel and same across the structure, therefore the most perfect choice. I hope the reasoning should be enough. Please let me know, if any flaw in this.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 46 [1]
Given Kudos: 2
WE 1: Deloitte 3 yrs
WE 2: Prok going on
Send PM
Re: Many writers of modern English have acquired careless habits that dama [#permalink]
Kudos
alimad wrote:
3. Many writers of modern English have acquired careless habits that damage the clarity of their prose, but these habits can be broken if they are willing to take the necessary trouble.
(D) which can be broken

C is the best candidate.

Many writers (plural) have acquired habits....but they can break these habits....

According to some previous posts there is ambiguity in they.
but they can break these habits

Now they cannot refer to habits as habits cannot break habits so the only other possibility is they refer to Writers.

Now in the remaining portion:
if they are willing to take the necessary trouble.

Here also they can refer to writers only.

As there is no ambiguity sentence construction seems reasonable. However the better construction would have been:

Many writers of modern English have acquired careless habits that damage the clarity of their prose, but the writers can break these habits if these writers are willing to take the necessary trouble.

I hope it makes sense now. :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 665 [1]
Given Kudos: 258
MISSION : 800
WE:Design (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Kudos
(A) but these habits can be broken > Passive
(B) but these habits are breakable > Passive
(D) which can be broken
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 326 [2]
Given Kudos: 334
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
WE:Information Technology (Other)
Send PM
Kudos
Many writers of modern English have acquired careless habits that damage the clarity of their prose, but these habits can be broken if they are willing to take the necessary trouble.
-----------

In this case it is not clear to what noun does "they" (that comes after underlined part) refer to. Is it "writers" or "habits", we understand that it is "writers", but still. And passive.

Same as in A

Good. The first "they", and the second one refer to "writers". And active.

(D) which can be broken
"which" modifies the last noun ("prose" in our case), but "prose can be broken" makes no sense

No sense at all
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [1]
Given Kudos: 90
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V41
Send PM