GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 18 Feb 2020, 17:06

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Marshall (USC) VS McDonough (Georgetown)

new topic post reply Update application status  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Healthcare
GMAT Date: 08-12-2013
GPA: 3.7
Reviews Badge
Marshall (USC) VS McDonough (Georgetown)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Apr 2014, 20:34
One of the toughest decisions of my life, I've been admitted to both full time programs and really don't know how to choose. I'm thinking of possibly even taking time off and flying across the country to visit Georgetown to see if I like the campus.

Background: 25 years old, ready to dive into my MBA career, I have a background in finance and plan to jump into the medical industry after earning my MBA. My goal is to continue living in California (born and raised here) after earning my MBA so if I go to Georgetown I will be moving back after graduating. I hear lots of good things about both schools, Georgetown is ranked slightly higher but I feel like the name carries a bit more prestige than USC. On the other hand I hear that USC's connections especially in southern california are unbeatable, which is a huge plus for me since I plan on starting a career here. BUT having been living in California my whole life people tell me I should experience the other side of the country while I'm still young (though this isn't a huge concern to me to be honest)

any insight or advice is appreciated, sorry for the long rant but these thoughts are running through my mind like crazy and I just can't decide!
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Operations
GPA: 3.45
Re: Marshall (USC) VS McDonough (Georgetown)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Apr 2014, 05:08
Congrats on your acceptances. I was deciding between both programs myself and will 99% be at SC.

As you said the connections at Marshall will pay dividends in the long run if you want to end up in California as I do. It was clear in visiting that Georgetown's student network is heavily mid-Atlantic, nearly every admit I met was from the area. I think Georgetown at the moment is a slightly better program but that's after SC took a major hit because of transitions in their career services office. They will undoubtedly rebound from it and I think hurdle ahead of Georgetown (just slightly again). Peer assessments (how other universities view the strength of your program) favor SC and I think that's a testament to the history of Marshall.

Let me again say that I like Georgetown a lot. Ultimately my (and it seems your) desire to stay in California sort of made the decision for me. While Georgetown did have a West Coast club, I think it was clear it wasn't substantial enough for me to feel like I'd for sure be employed in California following graduation. When you're battling the West Coast 4 (Stanford, CAL, UCLA, and USC) along with a huge pack of Top 20 schools that actively seek employment in California, it becomes tough.

Connections can make a huge difference, and regardless of its recent dip, I think SC edges out Georgetown if California is where you want to end up. I've mentioned on a few posts that I do strongly believe USC will be on the rise in coming years. They peaked at 19th not long ago and have a HUGE endowment. The university itself has undergone a huge transformation and eclipsed programs like UCLA in the National University US News Rankings. Marshall hasn't caught up to this progress but the university knows it's important that it does and is pushing a lot of resources into doing so. Marshall is its largest professional school.

Regardless of your choice, you're looking at two great programs that numerically are very similar. They're both friendly programs just outside the Top 20 that lack the ego you sometimes find with prestige. You really can't lose.

Good luck!
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology

Show Tags

New post 08 Apr 2014, 05:34
christinemmx86 wrote:
Congrats on your acceptances. I was deciding between both programs myself and will 99% be at SC.

As you said the connections at Marshall will pay dividends in the long run if you want to end up in California as I do. It was clear in visiting that Georgetown's student network is heavily mid-Atlantic, nearly every admit I met was from the area. I think Georgetown at the moment is a slightly better program but that's after SC took a major hit because of transitions in their career services office. They will undoubtedly rebound from it and I think hurdle ahead of Georgetown (just slightly again). Peer assessments (how other universities view the strength of your program) favor SC and I think that's a testament to the history of Marshall.

Let me again say that I like Georgetown a lot. Ultimately my (and it seems your) desire to stay in California sort of made the decision for me. While Georgetown did have a West Coast club, I think it was clear it wasn't substantial enough for me to feel like I'd for sure be employed in California following graduation. When you're battling the West Coast 4 (Stanford, CAL, UCLA, and USC) along with a huge pack of Top 20 schools that actively seek employment in California, it becomes tough.

Connections can make a huge difference, and regardless of its recent dip, I think SC edges out Georgetown if California is where you want to end up. I've mentioned on a few posts that I do strongly believe USC will be on the rise in coming years. They peaked at 19th not long ago and have a HUGE endowment. The university itself has undergone a huge transformation and eclipsed programs like UCLA in the National University US News Rankings. Marshall hasn't caught up to this progress but the university knows it's important that it does and is pushing a lot of resources into doing so. Marshall is its largest professional school.

Regardless of your choice, you're looking at two great programs that numerically are very similar. They're both friendly programs just outside the Top 20 that lack the ego you sometimes find with prestige. You really can't lose.

Good luck!

Both these schools are good schools and seem fairly similar, however I do think they tend to be more regional. If you want to live in California I think USC is the easy choice.
Director
Director
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 08 Apr 2014, 05:38
Both schools are regional, so I'd go with USC if you want to remain in California.
Manager
Manager
B
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 08 Apr 2014, 05:46
mgh234 wrote:
Both schools are regional, so I'd go with USC if you want to remain in California.

The above poster is spot on. If you want to stay in California, this is a no-brainer, go to USC.
Intern
Intern
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 08 Apr 2014, 08:29
thanks for the response everyone, especially christinemmx86's. something else I've been hearing is that Georgetown is better due to the fact that it's at our nation's capital and if I want to go into healthcare it's a better location, do you guys think there's any validity to that?
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology

Show Tags

New post 08 Apr 2014, 08:34
Jting wrote:
thanks for the response everyone, especially christinemmx86's. something else I've been hearing is that Georgetown is better due to the fact that it's at our nation's capital and if I want to go into healthcare it's a better location, do you guys think there's any validity to that?

I could see the validity in that if you wanted to do healthcare in DC, or didnt care about location. There may be more healthcare opportunities in DC post graduation which might make Georgetown better for healthcare. But since you stated you would move back to California anyways I think USC will be better for healthcare in California.
Intern
Intern
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 08 Apr 2014, 08:37
webster11 wrote:
Jting wrote:

I could see the validity in that if you wanted to do healthcare in DC, or didnt care about location. There may be more healthcare opportunities in DC post graduation which might make Georgetown better for healthcare. But since you stated you would move back to California anyways I think USC will be better for healthcare in California.

thanks webster11 :) that's what I wanted to hear. As I mentioned earlier I prefer USC but just want to make sure I'm making the right decision not just the one I want more (if that makes any sense lol)
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Operations
GPA: 3.45

Show Tags

New post 09 Apr 2014, 06:02
Jting wrote:
webster11 wrote:
Jting wrote:

thanks webster11 :) that's what I wanted to hear. As I mentioned earlier I prefer USC but just want to make sure I'm making the right decision not just the one I want more (if that makes any sense lol)

Fight on! :wink:
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Marshall (USC) VS McDonough (Georgetown)   [#permalink] 09 Apr 2014, 06:02

Marshall (USC) VS McDonough (Georgetown)

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderators: billionaire, teleste