Last visit was: 21 May 2024, 12:15 It is currently 21 May 2024, 12:15
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 235 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
WE:Management Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 589 [0]
Given Kudos: 168
Send PM
Re: MBA Admission for September 2025 Intake [#permalink]
Expert Reply
s_j_2510 wrote:
Hi everyone,

I have a 670 in Classic Gmat (Q-49,V-33).
I am an Indian Engineering Female with 90.8% in Btech and currently am working in a leading Management Consulting Firm. My total work experience currently is around 3.5 years and I am planning for September 2025 Intake.
I have an early promotion, and also a great Social Service and Volunteering profile.
Due to extremely hectic work schedule and some health issues, I am unable to appear for Gmat again. Which Bschools will you suggest based on the information I have provided to you?

Posted from my mobile device

­
Hello there,

The combination of your top academic scores, consulting exerience (MBB?)+ volunteering experience make yours a very compelling profile for b-schools. That said, the average GMAT scores at any top b-school are remarkably higher than your current score (and Indians tend to score on the higher side of this average). Assuming that you'd want to go to a top 30 b-school, I'd say, make another attempt at a higher score, perhaps work with a tutor. 
A forum would not be the right place to discuss the health angle, but it would help to have more clarity on that. Feel free to reach out for a discussion.

Namita Garg,
Founder, MBA Decoder
Email: contact@mbadecoder.com
Reach out to us for a NO-obligation Profile evaluation by filling this form
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 235 [0]
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
WE:Management Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
MBA Admission for September 2025 Intake [#permalink]
s_j_2510 wrote:
­1. What are your goals post MBA i.e. are you looking to transition back to consulting, if not which sector/ functions?
I am currently in Specialty Consulting domain, primarily in analytics for Client Facing sub-function of my firm and I want to move to Traditional Consulting in TMT/IG Sector or else, I want to pivot to Project Management. 
2. Any geographic preferences e.g. US/ EU/ UK/ Asia etc.?
I am specifically looking into European B-schools (EU and UK)
3. Have you worked with teams abroad?
Yes. My work is with Global clients and I have worked with Indian as well as clients based out of Non-Indian countries. I was also part of a Global Secondment program offered by my company (It was a competitive, application based programme that selected a few individuals from the company). 

@s_j_2510 ­- thanks for the update (also responded to your post on the chat). 

Given your consulting/ international exposure and Extracurriculars, I wouldn't completely rule out top European MBA programs. Most, if not all European schools evaluate profiles holistically, for example this candidate got into HEC Paris MBA with scholarships w/ a GMAT 650

The ideal scenario is ofcourse an improvement in score (or taking IELTS/ TOEFL to demonstrate verbal abilities) and I'd suggest that route if possible. Either way, a lot will depend on your overall profile and how well you present your application. This has been true for several (Indian Female) candidates I've worked with who had lower-than-average GMAT/ GRE scores but made it to the top European/ UK MBA programs, some with sizeable scholarships.

Shortlisting schools will require deeper discussions, but broadly, schools like INSEAD, HEC, IESE, IMD and LBS/ Oxbridge place well in Consulting and Project Management roles.

Feel free to reach out with your profile for a deeper chat.

Regards,
Arvind
Founder, admitStreet | Schedule a free chat
W: https://admitstreet.com | E: consultingteam@admitstreet.comLinkedIn­

Originally posted by admitStreet on 30 Apr 2024, 09:39.
Last edited by admitStreet on 30 Apr 2024, 20:41, edited 2 times in total.
MBA Admissions Consultant
Affiliations: MBA Prep Coach
Own Kudos [?]: 1432 [0]
Given Kudos: 573
Farrell Nelson: MBA
Send PM
Expert Reply
Please don’t apply to any schools where your score is below the median. And that’s frankly all the top schools.

I would recommend that you wake up an hour earlier each day with a clear learning objective based on your verbal ESR and strive to get a better test, score, but it absence of that apply to waiver schools.

You just can’t drag down the average as an Indian, so if they’re interested in other elements of your application, and you have other evidence of quantitative skills through your transcripts and work, then you might be someone who could qualify for a waiver.

Or maybe try the executive assessment and apply to schools that take that for full-time programs, and also see what happens with the GRE if that is more straightforward for you. +1 on tutoring- as someone who did this for 18 years I know that it really accelerates peoples progress because they’re unable to see things a different way sometimes. Without the help of someone outside of themselves

I think at this point you might be in contention for some European programs but for US schools not looking good. No matter what your work profile or your actor curricular it’s kind of a situation where it’s necessary, but not sufficient...

if sentence correction is the reason your verbal is what it is, then take the Focus edition.

And one final note, if you’re not able to make time to retake the test when are you going to have time to prepare your applications? You might need to make some structural changes your schedule.

if it’s worth doing It’s worth going to a good school and it’s worth you making time to do what you need to do to make that happen.

s_j_2510 wrote:
Hi everyone,

I am an Indian Engineering Female with 90.8% in Btech and currently am working in a leading Management Consulting Firm. My total work experience currently is around 3.5 years and I am planning for September 2025 Intake.
I have an early promotion, and also a great Social Service and Volunteering profile.
Due to extremely hectic work schedule and some health issues, I am unable to appear for Gmat again. Which Bschools will you suggest based on the information I have provided to you?

VP
VP
Status:Assisting candidates to get admit in to top global business schools
Affiliations: MBA
Own Kudos [?]: 204 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Schools:HEC, Paris
WE 1: 9 Years
Send PM
MBA Admission for September 2025 Intake [#permalink]
s_j_2510

670 GMAT is indeed a good score considering work experience of 3.5 years. Assuming your GPA is above B schools average. But it's just not a numbers game but your over-profile matters. It's a high time where you start working on your application essays as its make or break component.
Showcase the achievements that you have achieved during the tenure of your career, and showcase your leadership qualities which is one of the most important quality that most of the top looks for in the applicant. You have to represent yourself in a very unique way through your application essays.

Considering the provided profile information, below are some schools you stand a chance to apply. 
  1. Rotterdam 
  2. IE
  3. Boston
  4. SDA Bacconi 
  5. HEC Paris
To know the right fit schools, kindly provide missing details like Post MBA goals, target region, EC, certification, etc.
Or try and check our chances of B-schools tool that suits your current profile.­

Originally posted by GeneralEducation on 09 May 2024, 07:15.
Last edited by GeneralEducation on 13 May 2024, 06:44, edited 1 time in total.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 60 [0]
Schools: Stanford '19
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V44
GPA: 3.99
Send PM
Hi SJ,

I've reviewed your situation, and your answer's to Admitstreet's questions.

I hope things are on the mend - healthwise.

If you are looking at European Schools in the top 7 - 8, which includes INSEAD, LBS, Oxbridge, HEC and IMD, you may find it to be a stretch with your current GMAT.

If you are ok to look at the next tier of schools, you may be ok.  Your work experience and ECs are pretty solid.  (ECs based on your self-assessment!)

Feel free to reach out to chat more: https://bit.ly/GM_AugAcd_Profile_Evaluation

Best,
Karthik
s_j_2510 wrote:
Hi everyone,

­
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 289 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Expert Reply

s_j_2510 wrote:
Hi everyone,

­Hello s_j_2510,

Apologies for the delayed response but we hope this finds you in time still.

Your choice of schools will be dependent on your career goals as the sync between the strengths of a school and your aspirations is crucial in determining your chances.

Broadly speaking, you should be targetting schools in Canada and the USA. In the USA, you may look at schools in top ~30 to top ~45.

Further, the following video will prove to be of help:

​​​​​​​

Hope this helps.

All the best!
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 651 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
Send PM

s_j_2510 wrote:
Hi everyone,

­s_j_2510

Well, for a relief, you have a balanced GMAT score. But for the top 20 schools globally, a Q49 for your applicant pool is considered only borderline elite. Therefore, you do not have any strong sectional scores either. On top of this, a V33 would raise concerns regarding your ability to handle meaningful conversations in a class that is diverse and global. Even if the adcoms come to love your profile, they would surely be disappointed in your unwillingness to take the GMAT seriously, which may come across as being unaware and snobbish. Although your profile is seemingly strong, applying to top schools with this score would be a bit of a gamble. I highly recommend that you consider a retake or personally reach out to the adcoms to discuss any issues if your health does not allow you to take the exam again. There might be other ways, such as taking certain courses from prestigious colleges, that can convince the adcoms of your academic capabilities in the current times.

YOU MIGHT FIND SOME OF THESE TIPS FOR COMPENSATING LOW GMAT/GPA USEFUL

Navigating the Challenge of a Low GPA in Your Application : The B-School Applications (gmatclub.com)

Best wishes
Aanchal Sahni (INSEAD MBA alum, former INSEAD MBA admissions interviewer)
Founder, MBAGuideConsulting 
LinkedIn |WEBSITE: https://mbaguideconsulting.com/| Message(WA): +91 9971200927| email- mbaguideconsulting@gmail.com­

GMAT Club Bot