GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 15 Dec 2019, 22:40

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

MBA in Germany

  new topic post reply Update application status  
Author Message
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 05 Sep 2019
Posts: 9
MBA in Germany  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Oct 2019, 10:06
1
Hello

i've tried to find some information about what makes a candidate to choose among Mannheim, WHU and Frankfurt schools to undertake an MBA programme in Germany; i couldn't find any !

in fact, i intend to settle in Germany, but before i'm applying to the cited schools above for a full time MBA. i have a significant international experience / exposure with 8 years of full time work experience in manufacturing managing mainly projects, expenditures and Assets

I'm looking forward commencing an international career with more exposure to a strategic level mainly based in Germany within an international corporation. So to what extent will one of those business schools support me to achieve that goal !

as far as i'm concerned, i believe that WHU offers a good international exposure with its 3 international modules. Yet, mannheim has a good networking and good location.

could any one please illuminate me, please ?

many thanks
Founder
Founder
User avatar
V
Joined: 04 Dec 2002
Posts: 18523
Location: United States (WA)
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Re: MBA in Germany  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Oct 2019, 22:54
Hoping someone familiar with the German MBA programs could comment on this Topic here.
Good luck!
_________________
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 15 Jul 2010
Posts: 38
CAT Tests
Re: MBA in Germany  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Oct 2019, 00:00
bb wrote:
Hoping someone familiar with the German MBA programs could comment on this Topic here.
Good luck!

Good question,
I have 12 years of work ex and I have a similar dilemma . Do they offer scholarhsips as well?
HEC & IMD School Moderator
User avatar
G
Status: in Rush for R1
Joined: 17 Dec 2018
Posts: 487
Location: Italy
Concentration: Leadership, Operations
Schools: HEC, IMD '22
WE: Engineering (Manufacturing)
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: MBA in Germany  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Oct 2019, 00:55
1
German MBA programs are not considered top in Europe. I know, it's always beneficial to do MBA from a country where one would like to settle. As you plan to settle in Germany, I would highly recommend IESE -Ex.MBA program. Without loosing job, you get a reputed MBA. Just check it and make your own decision or consult someone.

Natnash wrote:
Hello

i've tried to find some information about what makes a candidate to choose among Mannheim, WHU and Frankfurt schools to undertake an MBA programme in Germany; i couldn't find any !

in fact, i intend to settle in Germany, but before i'm applying to the cited schools above for a full time MBA. i have a significant international experience / exposure with 8 years of full time work experience in manufacturing managing mainly projects, expenditures and Assets

I'm looking forward commencing an international career with more exposure to a strategic level mainly based in Germany within an international corporation. So to what extent will one of those business schools support me to achieve that goal !

as far as i'm concerned, i believe that WHU offers a good international exposure with its 3 international modules. Yet, mannheim has a good networking and good location.

could any one please illuminate me, please ?

many thanks

_________________
JaSs
Follow the founder BB and look at Study Plan | Retake Strategy
Rules for Posting - Posting Rules | Verbal Posting Rules
Experts - Bunuel | Chetan2u | GMATNinja | nightblade354 | SajjadAhmad | gmatbusters
Useful forums All you need for Quant | Quant Megathread
Beginners - (SC | CR | RC) | Megathreads - (SC Megathread | CR Megathread | RC Megathread)
HEC & IMD School Moderator
User avatar
G
Status: in Rush for R1
Joined: 17 Dec 2018
Posts: 487
Location: Italy
Concentration: Leadership, Operations
Schools: HEC, IMD '22
WE: Engineering (Manufacturing)
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: MBA in Germany  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Oct 2019, 00:56
aniriddha .. please check my suggestion in above post :)
_________________
JaSs
Follow the founder BB and look at Study Plan | Retake Strategy
Rules for Posting - Posting Rules | Verbal Posting Rules
Experts - Bunuel | Chetan2u | GMATNinja | nightblade354 | SajjadAhmad | gmatbusters
Useful forums All you need for Quant | Quant Megathread
Beginners - (SC | CR | RC) | Megathreads - (SC Megathread | CR Megathread | RC Megathread)
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 15 Jul 2010
Posts: 38
CAT Tests
Re: MBA in Germany  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Oct 2019, 02:20
sjas31 wrote:
aniriddha .. please check my suggestion in above post :)

Thanks Sjas,
I have been an entrepreneur and closed down my operations in my past venture. So i wish to change career paths from mech industry to one in AI or VR
Hence I was looking for an MBA to get through one or the other profile.
ABW
HEC & IMD School Moderator
User avatar
G
Status: in Rush for R1
Joined: 17 Dec 2018
Posts: 487
Location: Italy
Concentration: Leadership, Operations
Schools: HEC, IMD '22
WE: Engineering (Manufacturing)
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: MBA in Germany  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Oct 2019, 03:06
Hi aniriddha ... I am not sure whether the German full time MBA programs can help you much in your goals. Your 12 years of experience is huge and makes you fit generally in Exec. MBA programs or IMD. Do you know someone like you who have graduated from these German schools? I think you should look more options, research and decide accordingly:

1. Exec. MBA from IESE (held in Germany)
2. IMD, Switzerland (MBA / E.MBA)
3. Why not online courses in your desired field of interest ? With your Entrepreneurship experience, you can manage and apply skills in new field

aniriddha wrote:
sjas31 wrote:
aniriddha .. please check my suggestion in above post :)

Thanks Sjas,
I have been an entrepreneur and closed down my operations in my past venture. So i wish to change career paths from mech industry to one in AI or VR
Hence I was looking for an MBA to get through one or the other profile.
ABW

_________________
JaSs
Follow the founder BB and look at Study Plan | Retake Strategy
Rules for Posting - Posting Rules | Verbal Posting Rules
Experts - Bunuel | Chetan2u | GMATNinja | nightblade354 | SajjadAhmad | gmatbusters
Useful forums All you need for Quant | Quant Megathread
Beginners - (SC | CR | RC) | Megathreads - (SC Megathread | CR Megathread | RC Megathread)
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 15 Jul 2010
Posts: 38
CAT Tests
Re: MBA in Germany  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Oct 2019, 03:21
sjas31 wrote:
Hi aniriddha ... I am not sure whether the German full time MBA programs can help you much in your goals. Your 12 years of experience is huge and makes you fit generally in Exec. MBA programs or IMD. Do you know someone like you who have graduated from these German schools? I think you should look more options, research and decide accordingly:

1. Exec. MBA from IESE (held in Germany)
2. IMD, Switzerland (MBA / E.MBA)
3. Why not online courses in your desired field of interest ? With your Entrepreneurship experience, you can manage and apply skills in new field

aniriddha wrote:
sjas31 wrote:
aniriddha .. please check my suggestion in above post :)

Thanks Sjas,
I have been an entrepreneur and closed down my operations in my past venture. So i wish to change career paths from mech industry to one in AI or VR
Hence I was looking for an MBA to get through one or the other profile.
ABW

Hi Sjas,
I wish to work in Europe and thats not possible through these online courses.
I also spoke to a few schools in UK and Germany and most of them have applicants with more than a decade of experience.
Considering that finding work in those countries is also one of the motives, if not the major motive.

What do you think about it?
ABW
HEC & IMD School Moderator
User avatar
G
Status: in Rush for R1
Joined: 17 Dec 2018
Posts: 487
Location: Italy
Concentration: Leadership, Operations
Schools: HEC, IMD '22
WE: Engineering (Manufacturing)
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: MBA in Germany  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Oct 2019, 03:37
1
aniriddha .. I do not agree with the statement "UK and Germany have most of them have applicants with more than a decade of experience' for MBA but it's normal for EMBA. If you take the information from the schools website or other source, MBA schools have an average of 5-7 years of experience. There will be people with more than 10 years of experience but the numbers will be quite less. IMD is a school who looks for 'mature' and professional people and still its avg. exp is 7-7.5 years and avg. age is 31.

As per my suggestion, you can target some Europeans schools such as IMD, HEC, Judge, Said...
Would you like to share your profile? Demographics, GMAT, experience, achievements, languages, international experience...
_________________
JaSs
Follow the founder BB and look at Study Plan | Retake Strategy
Rules for Posting - Posting Rules | Verbal Posting Rules
Experts - Bunuel | Chetan2u | GMATNinja | nightblade354 | SajjadAhmad | gmatbusters
Useful forums All you need for Quant | Quant Megathread
Beginners - (SC | CR | RC) | Megathreads - (SC Megathread | CR Megathread | RC Megathread)
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 15 Jul 2010
Posts: 38
CAT Tests
Re: MBA in Germany  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Oct 2019, 04:16
sjas31 wrote:
aniriddha .. I do not agree with the statement "UK and Germany have most of them have applicants with more than a decade of experience' for MBA but it's normal for EMBA. If you take the information from the schools website or other source, MBA schools have an average of 5-7 years of experience. There will be people with more than 10 years of experience but the numbers will be quite less. IMD is a school who looks for 'mature' and professional people and still its avg. exp is 7-7.5 years and avg. age is 31.

As per my suggestion, you can target some Europeans schools such as IMD, HEC, Judge, Said...
Would you like to share your profile? Demographics, GMAT, experience, achievements, languages, international experience...

Hi Sjas,
I spoke with a few of their admissions committee member. About the GMAT, I will be taking it this month.
Heres my CV attached for your reference.
The schools mentioned by you have been duly noted for my application process.
Attachments

File comment: CV attached
Aniriddha Wakchaure CV_Director.pdf [259.23 KiB]
Downloaded 29 times

To download please login or register as a user

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 15 Jul 2010
Posts: 38
CAT Tests
Re: MBA in Germany  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Oct 2019, 04:18
sjas31 wrote:
aniriddha .. I do not agree with the statement "UK and Germany have most of them have applicants with more than a decade of experience' for MBA but it's normal for EMBA. If you take the information from the schools website or other source, MBA schools have an average of 5-7 years of experience. There will be people with more than 10 years of experience but the numbers will be quite less. IMD is a school who looks for 'mature' and professional people and still its avg. exp is 7-7.5 years and avg. age is 31.

As per my suggestion, you can target some Europeans schools such as IMD, HEC, Judge, Said...
Would you like to share your profile? Demographics, GMAT, experience, achievements, languages, international experience...

Hi Sjas,
I spoke with a few of their admissions committee member. About the GMAT, I will be taking it this month.
Heres my CV attached for your reference.
The schools mentioned by you have been duly noted for my application process.
HEC & IMD School Moderator
User avatar
G
Status: in Rush for R1
Joined: 17 Dec 2018
Posts: 487
Location: Italy
Concentration: Leadership, Operations
Schools: HEC, IMD '22
WE: Engineering (Manufacturing)
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
MBA in Germany  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Oct 2019, 04:34
Thanks. Extra info for IMD and HEC-
IMD: You can apply for Jan 2021 Intake. Avg. GMAT score is 675. First round is in Feb 2020. Complete Application and then Assessment day (full day).
HEC: Applications are going on for Sep 2020 Intake. Avg. GMAT score is 690. You can apply now. Overall application time is 5 weeks. There is a round every month. Application and then 2 Alumni Interview.

aniriddha wrote:
sjas31 wrote:
aniriddha .. I do not agree with the statement "UK and Germany have most of them have applicants with more than a decade of experience' for MBA but it's normal for EMBA. If you take the information from the schools website or other source, MBA schools have an average of 5-7 years of experience. There will be people with more than 10 years of experience but the numbers will be quite less. IMD is a school who looks for 'mature' and professional people and still its avg. exp is 7-7.5 years and avg. age is 31.

As per my suggestion, you can target some Europeans schools such as IMD, HEC, Judge, Said...
Would you like to share your profile? Demographics, GMAT, experience, achievements, languages, international experience...

Hi Sjas,
I spoke with a few of their admissions committee member. About the GMAT, I will be taking it this month.
Heres my CV attached for your reference.
The schools mentioned by you have been duly noted for my application process.

_________________
JaSs
Follow the founder BB and look at Study Plan | Retake Strategy
Rules for Posting - Posting Rules | Verbal Posting Rules
Experts - Bunuel | Chetan2u | GMATNinja | nightblade354 | SajjadAhmad | gmatbusters
Useful forums All you need for Quant | Quant Megathread
Beginners - (SC | CR | RC) | Megathreads - (SC Megathread | CR Megathread | RC Megathread)
LBS Moderator
User avatar
V
Joined: 04 Jun 2018
Posts: 665
Location: Germany
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 730 Q47 V44
GPA: 3.4
WE: Analyst (Transportation)
Reviews Badge
MBA in Germany  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Oct 2019, 07:53
1
Guten Tag,

while I am no expert about German B-Schools, I am somewhat familiar with the country.

As others have already mentioned EMBA options, I´ll go a little more into detail on some of the MBA programs you mentioned.
Just a quick side note; While IESE is a good school, its main facilities are located in Barcelona and even if they offer programs in Germany their alumni network and brand recognition is nowhere near as strong as it would be in Barcelona/Spain.

When it comes to working in Germany in particular, I would take Mannheim and WHU over most European Schools (LBS, INSEAD, Oxbridge, IMD being the main exceptions, one could argue St. Gallen) for the reasons mentioned above (Alumni, Connections to German Businesses, Brand recognition in Germany).

If you have the choice among WHU, Mannheim and Frankfurt (I assume School of Finance as opposed to Frankfurt University?) I´d opt for either WHU or Mannheim.

Pros WHU:
Relativly small, private school, very good connections to German Business especially in the fields of Consulting, Finance & generally strong presence in the Startup Scene.

Contra:
As it is not a public university, it might be less well-known in some industries as compared to Mannheim.

Pros Mannheim:
Large, well known university (in Germany) and considered the premier place for Business & Economics.

Contra:
Very competitive to enter (lower admission rates than Judge, Said, Insead, LBS etc.) according to what I have read online.

That would be my assessments in a nutshell, if you have any additional questions, feel free to reach out.

Viele Grüße,
Chris
_________________
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 05 Sep 2019
Posts: 9
Re: MBA in Germany  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Oct 2019, 09:21
1
Arro44 wrote:
Guten Tag,

while I am no expert about German B-Schools, I am somewhat familiar with the country.

As others have already mentioned EMBA options, I´ll go a little more into detail on some of the MBA programs you mentioned.
Just a quick side note; While IESE is a good school, its main facilities are located in Barcelona and even if they offer programs in Germany their alumni network and brand recognition is nowhere near as strong as it would be in Barcelona/Spain.

When it comes to working in Germany in particular, I would take Mannheim and WHU over most European Schools (LBS, INSEAD, Oxbridge, IMD being the main exceptions, one could argue St. Gallen) for the reasons mentioned above (Alumni, Connections to German Businesses, Brand recognition in Germany).

If you have the choice among WHU, Mannheim and Frankfurt (I assume School of Finance as opposed to Frankfurt University?) I´d opt for either WHU or Mannheim.

Pros WHU:
Relativly small, private school, very good connections to German Business especially in the fields of Consulting, Finance & generally strong presence in the Startup Scene.

Contra:
As it is not a public university, it might be less well-known in some industries as compared to Mannheim.

Pros Mannheim:
Large, well known university (in Germany) and considered the premier place for Business & Economics.

Contra:
Very competitive to enter (lower admission rates than Judge, Said, Insead, LBS etc.) according to what I have read online.

That would be my assessments in a nutshell, if you have any additional questions, feel free to reach out.

Viele Grüße,
Chris


Many thanks Chris for your feedback.
As far as i am concerned, my aim is to target one of the big German companies (Audi , BMW , Volkswagen , Porsche , Adidas , so forth....) post-graduation, and so far i have seen that there are some Alumni of Mannheim and WHU who works within those corporations. Conversely, i think that Warwick can be a good destination too but will not offer a shortcut for the German market. (on the other hand i'm not sure what impact will have the BREXIT....)

best regards
HEC & IMD School Moderator
User avatar
G
Status: in Rush for R1
Joined: 17 Dec 2018
Posts: 487
Location: Italy
Concentration: Leadership, Operations
Schools: HEC, IMD '22
WE: Engineering (Manufacturing)
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: MBA in Germany  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Oct 2019, 20:35
2
Arro44 .. thank you for further details.
Natnash ... I heard that ESMT Berlin is also strong in industries..
_________________
JaSs
Follow the founder BB and look at Study Plan | Retake Strategy
Rules for Posting - Posting Rules | Verbal Posting Rules
Experts - Bunuel | Chetan2u | GMATNinja | nightblade354 | SajjadAhmad | gmatbusters
Useful forums All you need for Quant | Quant Megathread
Beginners - (SC | CR | RC) | Megathreads - (SC Megathread | CR Megathread | RC Megathread)
GMAT Club Bot
Re: MBA in Germany   [#permalink] 30 Oct 2019, 20:35
Display posts from previous: Sort by

MBA in Germany

  new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderators: billionaire, Hatakekakashi






Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne