GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 20 Aug 2019, 18:34

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

MBA Profile Evaluation

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
Re: MBA Profile Evaluation  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 May 2019, 14:51
23 years old Black African Immigrant, Army Reserves Serviceman (Transportation Corps)
College: Small, private engineering college
GPA: 3.6 (Major GPA 3.8) | College years: Aug 2013- Dec 2017
Major and Minor: Computational Mathematics Major, Aerospace Engineering minor

GMAT: 760

Pertinent Info:

Enlisted in Military Accessions Vital to National Interests (MAVNI) Program for international students. Ship date was delayed 1 week before I was supposed to ship due to Secretary of Defense concerns about the program, and GPA suffered the following semester (penultimate semester ) due to anxiety and other challenges as a result of the sudden delay (lowest only time ever below a 3.2), recovered with a 4.0 in final semester with 21 credits.

Job Experience/Internships:

1) Co-Founded an IT solutions company in home country

2) Interned in Propulsion engineering group of Delta Air Lines (1 year co-op) (Delta for 4 months, school for 4 months on and off between Aug 2015 and April 2017).

3) Interned in Technology Division (Trade Processing) at Goldman Sachs in NY (3 mos): May-Aug 2017

4) 1 year in Securities Division Engineering (Listed Derivates) at Goldman Sachs in NY: April 2018 - May 2019

5) Currently Quantitative Analyst at Fin-tech startup in NY (portfolio and risk optimization for banks and institutional investors)

Why MBA?

I want to start a fin-tech company in my home country, a country plagued with many grassroots issues. I really want to be successful, so I want to learn as much as I can, and gain the skills and credibility I need to succeed from B-School. I also love that I'll be able to leverage an extensive alumni network

Leadership/Research/Awards

1) Research Assistant - Conducted research on mathematical models and how they are taught to new engineering students

2) Founded local chapter of Engineers Without Borders, served as president raised over $30,000 in funding

3) Student Tutor

4) Served in Student Government as a Representative for the College of Engineering and other roles.

5) Worked on various projects and held other leadership roles on campus

6) Lots of awards including Army Certificate of Achievement for Distinguished Leadership (only one per platoon training class of 30-60 people), American Institute of Aeronautics and Aerospace (AIAA) Iridium Scholar

7) Ranked top 25% of analysts in GS analyst class (End of Year Review - Ranking is graded Q1 (top 25%), Q2...Q4)

Positioning

Initially started off studying aerospace engineering as I loved planes and this guided my college choice. I realized even though I love planes, I also love fin-tech and the impact in can especially in my home country, this is what guided my pivot to change majors/career path.

Target Schools: Stanford (Hennessy-Knight Scholar), Harvard HBS - SEAS ( Dual MBA/MS), UChicago Booth, Columbia
mbaMission Admissions Consultant
G

Show Tags

New post 10 May 2019, 14:58
Hi Dalan,
Thanks for sharing your story. You have a lot of strong profile elements that will help you in this process, including GMAT, GPA, relevant professional experience, start-up experience, recognition and awards, successful extracurricular involvements, international experience, quant ability, and being an under-represented minority. The biggest questionable factor to me at the moment seems to be timing... not sure what year you are aiming to apply but if it were this fall for example it would seem a touch too soon... most successful MBA applicants to top schools such as those you mentioned have on average 5 years of full-time work experience after university, and you graduated less than 2 years ago. Schools really appreciate a deeper set of experiences so that classmates can share a lot in classroom discussions and learn from one another, so I would suggest gaining another 1-2 additional years of work experience ideally and then applying if it is top tier schools you are focused on. Hope that helps and good luck to you!

dalan wrote:
23 years old Black African Immigrant, Army Reserves Serviceman (Transportation Corps)
College: Small, private engineering college
GPA: 3.6 (Major GPA 3.8) | College years: Aug 2013- Dec 2017
Major and Minor: Computational Mathematics Major, Aerospace Engineering minor

GMAT: 760

Pertinent Info:

Enlisted in Military Accessions Vital to National Interests (MAVNI) Program for international students. Ship date was delayed 1 week before I was supposed to ship due to Secretary of Defense concerns about the program, and GPA suffered the following semester (penultimate semester ) due to anxiety and other challenges as a result of the sudden delay (lowest only time ever below a 3.2), recovered with a 4.0 in final semester with 21 credits.

Job Experience/Internships:

1) Co-Founded an IT solutions company in home country

2) Interned in Propulsion engineering group of Delta Air Lines (1 year co-op) (Delta for 4 months, school for 4 months on and off between Aug 2015 and April 2017).

3) Interned in Technology Division (Trade Processing) at Goldman Sachs in NY (3 mos): May-Aug 2017

4) 1 year in Securities Division Engineering (Listed Derivates) at Goldman Sachs in NY: April 2018 - May 2019

5) Currently Quantitative Analyst at Fin-tech startup in NY (portfolio and risk optimization for banks and institutional investors)

Why MBA?

I want to start a fin-tech company in my home country, a country plagued with many grassroots issues. I really want to be successful, so I want to learn as much as I can, and gain the skills and credibility I need to succeed from B-School. I also love that I'll be able to leverage an extensive alumni network

Leadership/Research/Awards

1) Research Assistant - Conducted research on mathematical models and how they are taught to new engineering students

2) Founded local chapter of Engineers Without Borders, served as president raised over $30,000 in funding

3) Student Tutor

4) Served in Student Government as a Representative for the College of Engineering and other roles.

5) Worked on various projects and held other leadership roles on campus

6) Lots of awards including Army Certificate of Achievement for Distinguished Leadership (only one per platoon training class of 30-60 people), American Institute of Aeronautics and Aerospace (AIAA) Iridium Scholar

7) Ranked top 25% of analysts in GS analyst class (End of Year Review - Ranking is graded Q1 (top 25%), Q2...Q4)

Positioning

Initially started off studying aerospace engineering as I loved planes and this guided my college choice. I realized even though I love planes, I also love fin-tech and the impact in can especially in my home country, this is what guided my pivot to change majors/career path.

Target Schools: Stanford (Hennessy-Knight Scholar), Harvard HBS - SEAS ( Dual MBA/MS), UChicago Booth, Columbia

B

Show Tags

New post 20 May 2019, 14:28
Hi,
Please Evaluate my profile for University of Chicago Booth Weekend MBA and Executive MBA.
My GPA is 3.45
GMAT:690
I have also been working at Deloitte for a little over 4 years.
Do I have any Chance??
B

Show Tags

New post 22 May 2019, 22:34
Hi and thanks for your post.
Of the two programs you mentioned, the Weekend MBA would be the better fit. While 4 years is a little light in terms of work experience for a part-time program, the Executive MBA is for applicants with closer to 10 years of work experience.
The application process is truly holistic, and admissions will gauge your stats, work experience and extracurriculars. Your stats are about at the average for the Weekend MBA, though without knowing your accomplishments at work as well as your extracurriculars, it is hard to guage your chances. It will also be crucial to clearly convey your story, including what you will add to the classroom despite having fewer than the average number of years of work experience.

I'm happy to to discuss your profile more in depth if you would like to sign up for a free consultation.
Good luck!

Ali1234007 wrote:
Hi,
Please Evaluate my profile for University of Chicago Booth Weekend MBA and Executive MBA.
My GPA is 3.45
GMAT:690
I have also been working at Deloitte for a little over 4 years.
Do I have any Chance??

Free Consultation: http://www.mbamission.com/consult.php
Blog: http://www.mbamission.com/blog
mbaMission Insider's Guides: http://www.mbamission.com/guides.php?category=insiders
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 29 May 2019, 11:00
Hey Guys - Can someone kindly evaluate my Profile :

GMAT : 680
Graduation : 7.1 (Computer Science)

Total Work Ex : ˜4Years
Current Industry - Ecommerce
Domain - Digital Marketing

Age - 26
Sex - Male
Nationality - Indian

Current Role - Mobile Marketing Manager with a Premier Indian Company.
1) Responsible for 30-40% of the Digital Marketing Budget. ( 2MIllion USD Per Annum)
2) Responsible for budget allocation and revenue planning for all channels.
3) Responsible for delivering a portion of the PnL of the company.
4) Generating 50% of all Electronics category on App Month on Month by new installs.
5) Coordinating among several different teams - Tech, Product, Analytics, Retention and Merchandising - To ensure delivery of campaigns, all while maintaining Business ROAS.
6) Top performer of my team.

Special Projects -
1) Part of 4 people team working with the CEO on delivering H1 targets. This is extremely cross functional and given me exposure to functions like Logistics, Brand Maketing, Analytics and helps me understand the PnL structure of an e-commerce company - All while working closely with business Heads and the CEO.
2) Delivered a project which enhances customer information to improve push notification segmentation. This helped in generating additional USD 700K for the year.

Volunteering -
1) Taught under privileged kids for 6 months with the NGO bigger than life.

Activities and societies in College -
1) Debate and Literary Secretary
2) Coordinator of the Anchoring committee
3) Won Creative Writing and Extempore
4) 10 Pointer in Final Semester

Other -
1) Completed a half marathon right after recovering from Pulmonary Tuberculosis (I ran to heal myself, but does this sound too dramatic?)

I 'm targeting the following Colleges -

1) ISB - India
2) NUS - Singapore
3) NTU - Singapore
4) HEC - Paris
5) IE - Spain

I'm not interested in applying to US B-Schools. However, if you guys think I can apply to other top ranked Asian/European B-Schools, please do recommend.

Thanks a lot guys!
B

Show Tags

New post 29 May 2019, 15:49
Akatoch:
Hello and thanks for your detailed post.
The application process is truly holistic, and committees will look at your stats (GPA and GMAT), work experience, and extracurriculars.

Your GPA is strong, so that is a good start. Your GMAT is good too, though compared to others in your demographic, it is below the average for the five schools you listed. If you haven’t already, I suggest taking it up to 3-4 times. You have nothing to lose since schools will only look at your highest score. And even a slight increase can boost your profile. You may still want to illustrate to the schools that you have the academic ability to succeed in the classroom. For example, you could showcase your quant ability in your resume, your recommenders could do the same in their recommendations, or you could even take a supplemental course such as stats or calculus.

Your work experience looks impressive, and it seems like you have been a part of some important accomplishments there. It is nice to see you are a top performer on your team. In your application, make sure to show your impact and all of your leadership and initiatives. Ideally this will be supported by strong recommendation letters as well. It will also be important to explain why you want your MBA, and to also illustrate the skills you already have which are transferable. Be sure your story makes sense, and is realistic and specific.

Regarding extracurriculars, make sure to really emphasize your leadership roles you have taken on. It is great that you have taught underprivileged children. And you can certainly mention – perhaps on your resume – your anecdote on completing the half marathon.

I suggest apply to a few additional schools as well as the competitive schools you listed. In general I recommend applying to reach, target and safety. Hopefully they will see that you have a compelling story.
Good luck!

Akatoch wrote:
Hey Guys - Can someone kindly evaluate my Profile :

GMAT : 680
Graduation : 7.1 (Computer Science)

Total Work Ex : ˜4Years
Current Industry - Ecommerce
Domain - Digital Marketing

Age - 26
Sex - Male
Nationality - Indian

Current Role - Mobile Marketing Manager with a Premier Indian Company.
1) Responsible for 30-40% of the Digital Marketing Budget. ( 2MIllion USD Per Annum)
2) Responsible for budget allocation and revenue planning for all channels.
3) Responsible for delivering a portion of the PnL of the company.
4) Generating 50% of all Electronics category on App Month on Month by new installs.
5) Coordinating among several different teams - Tech, Product, Analytics, Retention and Merchandising - To ensure delivery of campaigns, all while maintaining Business ROAS.
6) Top performer of my team.

Special Projects -
1) Part of 4 people team working with the CEO on delivering H1 targets. This is extremely cross functional and given me exposure to functions like Logistics, Brand Maketing, Analytics and helps me understand the PnL structure of an e-commerce company - All while working closely with business Heads and the CEO.
2) Delivered a project which enhances customer information to improve push notification segmentation. This helped in generating additional USD 700K for the year.

Volunteering -
1) Taught under privileged kids for 6 months with the NGO bigger than life.

Activities and societies in College -
1) Debate and Literary Secretary
2) Coordinator of the Anchoring committee
3) Won Creative Writing and Extempore
4) 10 Pointer in Final Semester

Other -
1) Completed a half marathon right after recovering from Pulmonary Tuberculosis (I ran to heal myself, but does this sound too dramatic?)

1) ISB - India
2) NUS - Singapore
3) NTU - Singapore
4) HEC - Paris
5) IE - Spain

I'm not interested in applying to US B-Schools. However, if you guys think I can apply to other top ranked Asian/European B-Schools, please do recommend.

Thanks a lot guys!

Free Consultation: http://www.mbamission.com/consult.php
Blog: http://www.mbamission.com/blog
mbaMission Insider's Guides: http://www.mbamission.com/guides.php?category=insiders
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 16 Jun 2019, 00:50
Dear team,

it would be great if I could receive some advice/ an assessment of my upcoming B-School application:

Nationality: Indian

Degree:
Bachelors of Commerce (with honours) from Jesus and Mary College, Delhi University. 91% average (4.0 GPA ). Received a merit based scholarship ( For ranking 1 in year 2 of college)

Certifications: Licensed US CPA

GMAT: Took it back in 2016. 680 ( Q48 V35) Planning on taking the GMAT again in 3 months. ( Sep/Oct 2019)

Work Experience:
3 Years experience in External audit with Deloitte in India. Audited majorly power and utilities clients based in USA. Audited both private and public clients with expertise in debt issuance reviews for private american clients. Currently auditing an Infrastructure public company of Toronto.

Extracurricular: VP social service league in high school. In college, Core heading committee member for National Service Scheme ( NSS is an Indian government-sponsored public service program conducted by the Ministry of Youth Affairs and Sports of the Government of India aimed at developing student's personality through community service.

Was involved with organising the annual cultural festival in undergrad as well as member of various clubs such as the marketing club, entrepreneurship club and the commerce society.

Post-MBA goal: Financial Advisory Consultant / Strategy consultant.

Schools:
Columbia
Wharton
Chicago
Insead
Sterstanford
Harvard
UCLA anderson

It would be great to get some advice on chances at these schools and what score of gmat should I be targeting at

Thank you very much!

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Schools: ISB '21
GMAT 1: 720 Q47 V42
GPA: 4

Show Tags

New post 24 Jun 2019, 03:36
Hello People,

Would be really grateful if someone could evaluate my profile-

10th grade (2009)- 88%
12th grade (2011)- 88%
BA Hons English (2011-2014)- Delhi University, BA Hons English- 64.5% (1s division)
MA English, Faculty of Arts, Delhi University- 61% (1st Division)
I'm not sure exactly, how this would be converted into the GPA system, but 1st division is very very decent in Arts.
Work Experience- August 2016-August 2018: Account Analyst and then Account Strategist at Yahoo.
August 2018-Present: Working at an established travel company, I lead content, manage a small team of 3 people and a few freelancers and agencies, and I also lead branding and communication.

I am primarily looking to apply in European colleges. Would be great if I could get some inputs on what my chances are, where I should apply and also whether I can qualify for scholarships since that would be fairly crucial in determining my final decision.

Thanks in advance!

Extra Curricular- Musician, Co-owned a record label. Otherwise not much else.
GMAT Score- 720. Quant- 47, Verbal- 42, AWA- 6, IR- 6
G

Show Tags

New post 30 Jun 2019, 18:24
Hi Youngun,
Without knowing more about your leadership examples and specific accomplishments, your profile looks like it's heading in the right direction, and you have that background in branding, marketing and communication while also did well enough on the GMAT quant given your lack of quant background. In terms of European programs, it depends a lot upon whether you want a 1 or 2 year option (most in Europe are 1 but not all), and if you have country/region preferences... generally speaking INSEAD and LBS are considered the top 2 and most difficult to get into; not impossible but a reach for you. Then Oxford & Cambridge, which could be worth a shot possible. Then programs such as IESE, IE, ESADE, Rotterdam, IMD, Bocconi, HEC, Imperial.... do some research on curriculum, employment reports, and class profiles for these schools and see what you think. Good luck and keep us posted!

youngun wrote:
Hello People,

Would be really grateful if someone could evaluate my profile-

10th grade (2009)- 88%
12th grade (2011)- 88%
BA Hons English (2011-2014)- Delhi University, BA Hons English- 64.5% (1s division)
MA English, Faculty of Arts, Delhi University- 61% (1st Division)
I'm not sure exactly, how this would be converted into the GPA system, but 1st division is very very decent in Arts.
Work Experience- August 2016-August 2018: Account Analyst and then Account Strategist at Yahoo.
August 2018-Present: Working at an established travel company, I lead content, manage a small team of 3 people and a few freelancers and agencies, and I also lead branding and communication.

I am primarily looking to apply in European colleges. Would be great if I could get some inputs on what my chances are, where I should apply and also whether I can qualify for scholarships since that would be fairly crucial in determining my final decision.

Thanks in advance!

Extra Curricular- Musician, Co-owned a record label. Otherwise not much else.
GMAT Score- 720. Quant- 47, Verbal- 42, AWA- 6, IR- 6

Schools: ISB '21
GMAT 1: 640 Q48 V29

Show Tags

New post 09 Aug 2019, 01:24
Hey Guys - Please evaluate my profile :

Nationality - Indian
GMAT: 640 (Q48,V29,IR6)

Work Experience( Total): Full time: 11 years
1) 1 year as a Process Associate at a Business Process Outsourcing company.
2) 5.5 years as a officer at State Bank of India.
3) 3 years experience in handling family business.
4) 2.5 years working for my own company (in the travel and tourism industry) (Most Recent)

Education: Bachelor of Commerce (Lucknow University) (4 -CGPA)
Class XII - ICSE (77.40 %)
Class X - ICSE (77.00%)

ECA - 1) Sports Team at the School and University Level.
2) Involved in assisting the Forest Department for a variety of activities such as census,awareness camps.
3) Best Trainee Award at SBI.

1) ISB - India
2) NUS - Singapore
3) Rotman - Canada.
4) Esade - Spain
5) Mannheim - Germany.
6) IE - Spain.
7) Tepper - USA.
8) Schulich - Canada.
9) Melbourne - Australia.
10) AGSM - Australia.
11) Mcgill - Canada.
12) Rotterdam - Netherlands.

Thanks a lot guys!
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V34
GPA: 3.8
WE: Project Management (Commercial Banking)
MBA Profile Evaluation  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 18 Aug 2019, 07:47
Hi Team. Would like to have your insights on my profile as well.

I plan to apply to the MBA Programs of Cornell, Cambridge, Oxford, Darden, and NUS in 2020, 1st round - hopefully marticulating in 2021.
Could you kindly share your thoughts on how I would stand as an applicant to those schools and if there is any area I should improve to be a stronger applicant?

Background and nationality: Born and raised in Indonesia.

Age and gender: 26, female.

Undergrad Information: I graduated from a local private university in my country, majored in finance, with 3.8 GPA (3rd highest in my batch). Usually got an A for quant subjects.

GMAT: 690 (Q49, V34, IR6) - consistent with all of my mock tests scores

Work experience and leadership:
- Started as an intern in a corporate banking division of a British multinational bank.
- Sponsored and selected as one of the management associates for 1,5 years.
- Deployed and got an early promotion to be an Associate in Custody and Fund Management Services, been almost 1 year now. I am the project manager mostly for:
1) New overseas global banks/fund houses that want to invest in my country.
2) Local fund houses that want to invest both in my country and overseas.
I work intensively with Clients basically to ensure their infrastructures, channels, and all of their requirements are fulfilled in order for them to invest. The arrangements include the securities type, account structure, legal documentations, our service coverage, channels etc.
My role is very Client-facing and involves a lot of working across divisions (e.g. Legal, Product, Operations). Though I don’t have anyone reporting to me yet, my roles require a lot of people management skill because we need to make everyone works together to achieve smooth delivery in every project with tight time frame.
All of these contribute to additional 7 digits annual revenue in USD.

International experience:
- Had a 1-month business trip in Shanghai and just recently 1-week workshop in Vietnam.
- My role involves working with overseas branches and Clients. Majority of my overseas clients are from UK & US. Some of the projects I handled are also related to Brexit.
- I used to study Mandarin for 1 year in Taiwan due to personal interest in Chinese history and culture. As I wanted to visit certain places in China and connect with the people, I thought I needed to be able to speak the language.

Extracurriculars:
- I am a regular facilitator that teaches slum-kids in Jakarta. What I and other facilitators teaches is not school-subjects like math, English, etc, but more about our community, family, daily-life, and future. Our goal is to inspire the kids to dare to dream. I usually do this twice a month.
- Quite-active in church activity. I’m usually in charge for the weekly bulletins or for church-usher role (the one responsible for seating guests and maintaining the order of the services).
- Organised company-wide fund raising by selling clothes, bag, etc. Managed to raise around $7000 in 3 days. The amount is donated to fight blindness in my country.
- Was an MC for company-wide run-for-a-cause event.
- I admit I was more focused in academic during my undergrad, so I didn’t have any meaningful leadership activity during that period. I have been trying to make up for it post-college.

MBA and post-MBA goals:
I want to join a specific Unicorn tech-company in Indonesia that has been expanding its fintech division as a product manager. As I am also in charge to handle partnership among my company, Clients and some fintech companies, overtime I grew stronger interest in fintech.
I figure that to reach my goals, I already possess the certain operational knowledge in terms of transaction flow, however to succeed in fintech, I realized that I need MBA to really build my skills in analytics and strategy because I am not really exposed to those in my current role.

Would really appreciate any feedback from you. Much thanks in advance! ;)

Originally posted by aidyn on 10 Aug 2019, 17:59.
Last edited by aidyn on 18 Aug 2019, 07:47, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 12 Aug 2019, 04:24
Hi Everyone,

I am 28 year old Indian women working as a Senior Quality Analyst in an IT Firm. By the time I matriculate I will have 6+ years of Experience.

GMAT score 630(Q49, V27) IR - 6

Graduation : 81% (B.Tech in Electronics and Communication)
12th : 87% Central board of Secondary Education.
10th : 91.2% Central Board of Secondary Education.

Some of my profile highlights

Academics:
Have received 0.1% certificate in 10th for scoring among top 0.1% students in India CBSE
Was awarded 30% scholarship for retaining top 10 spot in engineering for 4 years

Professional:
Promotion in the first year of joining first company
Awarded in current company twice for suggesting process changes and implementing them for Quality team
Worked at Client location for a year and was awarded star of the quarter there
Have received several spot awards and Young Achiever award in first company

Extra Curricular:
Organised cultural and technical fest during graduation.
Was part of the college blog team to cover events
Actively participated in college events for dance
Was awarded at International Level competition in Art during ICSQCC summit.

Please evaluate my chances of getting through a good college. Open to suggestions.

Also, it would be great if someone could evaluate my chances of getting into the following schools as well.

1. The Paul Merage School of Business (University of California at Irvine)
2. Boston University - Questrom
3. Nanyang Business School
4. University of Washington - Foster
5. William & Mary : Mason
6. Penn State University. : SMEAL

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 32 posts ] 

MBA Profile Evaluation

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderator: mbaMissionKate