It is currently 19 Aug 2017, 00:30

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

MBA with least 'Partying'

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 4

GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
GMAT 2: 770 Q51 V44
MBA with least 'Partying' [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Aug 2017, 08:33
Coming up with a list of schools I'm applying to - one of the things I'm not so keen on with the MBA is the party culture (just a personal preference really, not a diss).

I know school cultures vary, and some (Harvard/Wharton etc) are obviously much more party-oriented than others. My question is, which schools are the "others"? Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.

I've heard Booth/MIT/Columbia are generally more academics-focussed. Is that fair to say?

As a side note, I'm not a complete introvert, i don't hate partying and I of course don't expect any MBA courses to have zero/minimal partying. It's just that for me personally, I wouldn't do well in an atmosphere with excessive partying, where it's almost one of the main focuses of the MBA.

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 4

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Founder
Founder
P

Kudos [?]: 27157 [1] , given: 5001

GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 12 Aug 2017, 21:36
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
You just reminded me of a memory trying to fall asleep during the off-site orientation week while my cabin-mates were playing drunken games in the room/cabin next door.... ah, the first few weeks of BSchool. I am not a big partier either, esp when it comes to a large crowd of strangers.

Party culture and concerns about it are usually not a big deal even in schools such as INSEAD where they have a strong work hard/play hard culture. BSchools are diverse for a reason and you will definitely find a comfortable group/spot after just a few weeks in, esp in large programs, which all Top 10 are except Tuck, which being as remote as it is, my guess, is not a big party school (only a guess). You will have a variety of folks in your class - you will see some of the smartest people in your class drunk at night making fools of themselves and you will have party folks who want to include everyone and who will try to do everything they can to include you in a vegas trip or a get together during the first few months of bschool. Reality sets in, hours are long, and to keep partying you have to be either really really hard working or plain stupid. The married folks tend to hang together and they are pretty quiet bunch, frugal, and realistic, usually, esp if they have kids. Their party days are over :-)

Anyway, as with every corporate culture, each school and company is unique and so is every individual. You will, however, find that despite some character flaws, all of your classmates will be pretty amazing people with long lists of accomplishments and once you get to know them, you will see past some of the temporary intoxication side effects, as they will have a lot of redeeming qualities to them....

Founder of GMAT Club

GMAT Club's Special offer for Student Loans only through Aug 31 - New!
Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... or use our Daily Study Plan

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Kudos [?]: 27157 [1] , given: 5001

BSchool Forum Moderator
P

Kudos [?]: 751 [0], given: 595

Show Tags

New post 13 Aug 2017, 09:52
I am not sure if this is helpful -->

Wisconsin and Fisher/Ohio, USC are three names on top of my mind that you definitely want to avoid if you hate parties.

Best
Stone Cold

Give me a hell yeah ...!!!!!

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 64 [0], given: 95

Re: MBA with least 'Partying' [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Aug 2017, 10:56
stonecold wrote:

Wisconsin and Fisher/Ohio, USC are three names on top of my mind that you definitely want to avoid if you hate parties.

Best
Stone Cold

that means you are going there ??? :P

BSchool Forum Moderator
P

Show Tags

New post 13 Aug 2017, 11:08
gmatexam439 wrote:
stonecold wrote:

Best
Stone Cold

Pretty subjective question.But at Wisconsin -> They don't like INDIANS..The acceptance rate is around 26%
For Indians it falls to freaking 6%.
Yeah you read it right. 6%.
There whole diversity thing at Madison is a big joke. At-least for us Indians.

Side note -> USC is probably the most liberal school in the US.But unless you get a scholarship, you are gonna be paying debts the rest your life.

I do like the idea of party schools ingrained into the MBA modules.
At the end of the day its all about networking and nobody can do that sitting in a penthouse and smoking cigars.
You gotta be a bit garrulous.

Plus I feel there are a few hidden gems in the Top40-55 rankings that are soon gonna be in the Top-30 ranking.
I am sure as hell gonna apply to a few this season :)

Best
Stone Cold

Give me a hell yeah ...!!!!!

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S

Show Tags

New post 13 Aug 2017, 11:11
stonecold wrote:
gmatexam439 wrote:
stonecold wrote:

Best
Stone Cold

Pretty subjective question.But at Wisconsin -> They don't like INDIANS..The acceptance rate is around 26%
For Indians it falls to freaking 6%.
Yeah you read it right. 6%.
There whole diversity thing at Madison is a big joke. At-least for us Indians.

Side note -> USC is probably the most liberal school in the US.But unless you get a scholarship, you are gonna be paying debts the rest your life.

I do like the idea of party schools ingrained into the MBA modules.
At the end of the day its all about networking and nobody can do that sitting in a penthouse and smoking a dope cigar.
You gotta be a bit garrulous.

Plus I feel there are a few hidden gems in the Top40-55 rankings that are soon gonna be in the Top-30 ranking.
I am sure as hell gonna apply to a few this season :)

Best
Stone Cold

lets first get a good score else no1 will accept us :-D

VP
VP
G

Kudos [?]: 251 [0], given: 148

Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: MBA with least 'Partying' [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Aug 2017, 20:37
stonecold wrote:

Best
Stone Cold

Hi stonecold

just for clarity

Are you mentioning Fisher based on info from friends there? The video shows 'Ohio university' which is different than 'Ohio state university' where Fisher belongs to.

Kudos [?]: 251 [0], given: 148

Re: MBA with least 'Partying'   [#permalink] 14 Aug 2017, 20:37