GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 23 Sep 2018, 11:11

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Mesa College has a long reputation of progressive arts educa

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

SVP
SVP
P
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V33
GPA: 3.64
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Mesa College has a long reputation of progressive arts educa  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Mar 2018, 12:18
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

35% (medium)

Question Stats:

67% (01:29) correct 33% (01:33) wrong based on 286 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Mesa College has a long reputation of progressive arts education. It relies heavily on donations from its alumni for scholarships and campus improvements. Mesa College has never had an athletic program, and many current students and alumni say that they think this had led the college to put more focus and financial resources into developing first-class arts programs. This year, Mesa College instituted a football program, over the objections of many students and alumni.

Based on this passage, which of the following is likely to occur?

A Alumni donations to Mesa College will increase.
B Alumni will become very involved with boosting the football program at Mesa College.
C Alumni donations to Mesa College will decrease.
D The college will start offering more athletic scholarships than art scholarships.
E The football program will fail.

test.guide

[size=80][b][i]Posted from my mobile device[/i][/b][/size]
Intern
Intern
Re: Mesa College has a long reputation of progressive arts educa  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Mar 2018, 20:54
C I think. Since the alumni are objecting, it's likely they'll reduce donations

Sent from my Moto G (4) using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Manager
Manager
B
Concentration: Marketing, Leadership
Schools: LBS '21
GMAT 1: 620 Q46 V33
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 11 Mar 2018, 04:22
Can someone please explain the above answer ?
Manager
Manager
G
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 11 Mar 2018, 05:15
renjana wrote:
Can someone please explain the above answer ?

Mesa College has a long reputation of progressive arts education. It relies heavily on donations from its alumni for scholarships and campus improvements. Mesa College has never had an athletic program, and many current students and alumni say that they think this had led the college to put more focus and financial resources into developing first-class arts programs. This year, Mesa College instituted a football program, over the objections of many students and alumni.

A Alumni donations to Mesa College will increase. Not likely to happen as the arts education leaning alumni were objecting to football program - hence not likely
B Alumni will become very involved with boosting the football program at Mesa College. Same as above, not likely
C Alumni donations to Mesa College will decrease. Since most of the donations come from the alumni of the college who were objecting to the institution of a football program at a progressive arts college : Very likely that some alumni will reduce donations.
D The college will start offering more athletic scholarships than art scholarships. We do not know for sure - likely but not probable
E The football program will fail. We cannot say.

Hence the most apt from the above is C.

Please give Kudos if my explanation was helpful ...
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

Show Tags

New post 11 Mar 2018, 08:30
Aish94 wrote:

Hi Aish94,

The argument does not say that the alumni are against the football program. I think you understood it the other way round. It says that the college has only focused on developing first class art programs, thus, over these objections by students and alumni, the college is hosting the athletic event.

Thus, A is likely the correct answer, according to me.

What do you think.. please reply ?

Sent from my Lenovo K53a48 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Manager
Manager
G

Show Tags

New post 11 Mar 2018, 20:31
SonalSinha803 wrote:
Aish94 wrote:

Hi Aish94,

The argument does not say that the alumni are against the football program. I think you understood it the other way round. It says that the college has only focused on developing first class art programs, thus, over these objections by students and alumni, the college is hosting the athletic event.

SonalSinha803

Why do you propose the donations will increase?

I think your post gives wrong reasoning... The question explicitly mentions that the almuni were "objecting" to the football program.

Please refer to my post above. . . C seems perfect.

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 16 Mar 2018, 22:56
chesstitans wrote:

B Alumni will become very involved with boosting the football program at Mesa College.
D The college will start offering more athletic scholarships than art scholarships.

test.guide

can somebody explain the meaning of the last line?

Does it mean the alumni are objecting to the football program? I am a bit confused
Manager
Manager
G

Show Tags

New post 20 Mar 2018, 23:38
harsh2112 wrote:
chesstitans wrote:

test.guide

can somebody explain the meaning of the last line?

Does it mean the alumni are objecting to the football program? I am a bit confused

Hi harsh2112,

You are absolutely correct. The last line "Mesa College instituted a football program, over the objections of many students and alumni." clearly states the objections of students and alumni to the starting of new football program.

Hope it is clear now.

Best,
Gladi
VP
VP
V
Concentration: International Business, Operations
GMAT 1: 480 Q38 V22
GPA: 3.01
WE: Engineering (Consulting)
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 04 Apr 2018, 11:38
SonalSinha803 wrote:
Aish94 wrote:

Hi Aish94,

Hi,

The passage here is of dual point of view, and what you understood is correct but in the different sense. Actually, the passage says,
"College has had no athletic event ever" and "this" helped the college to move more finances towards arts. Now, it means " staying away from sports has helped the college to focus on art financing.

The way you understood is students and alumni objected "why sports is not happening in the college. It should be a part of routine" as we have this common notion about sports. And in that case, alumni will increase the funds, as you said.

But it's the earlier case.

Hope it helps.

QZ

"Do not watch clock; Do what it does. KEEP GOING."

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Mesa College has a long reputation of progressive arts educa &nbs [#permalink] 04 Apr 2018, 11:38

Mesa College has a long reputation of progressive arts educa

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap