GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 23 Oct 2018, 09:42

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

MIT Sloan vs. London Business School

new topic post reply Update application status  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
MIT Sloan vs. London Business School  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Jan 2018, 07:24
Deal all,

I have applied for the MBA classes of 2020 of several programs and have been lucky enough to receive some offers. From all offers, I was able to select two schools (MIT Sloan and London Business School), but I cannot figure out which one would be best for me. Any thoughts/ help would be great! Thanks!
About me:
• Brazilian, 27 years old
• Business Analytics manager for a leader healthcare provider in the country
• Worked for 3 years in management consulting (Great American firm, but not MBB)
• Want to come back to Brazil after the MBA
• Want to work in the healthcare industry as a senior manager (general manager or Business Development/ Business Analytics) or go back to consulting

MIT Sloan
Pros:
1) MIT and Sloan have a great brand outside and inside the business world
2) I believe (but am not sure) I could focus a bit more on healthcare at Sloan, as it has a Healthcare Certificate. Beyond that there are almost two times more people going to healthcare from Sloan than from LBS.
3) MIT has a great focus on Tech which, although isn’t “my thing”, would be great to learn
Cons:
1) Program is longer and more expensive vs. LBS (even taking into account the costs of living in London).
2) I visited the school and, to be honest, I didn’t feel a great fit to it. It just didn’t feel very exciting to be there (maybe I just got unlucky with that particular experience ).
3) I have the feeling that Sloan students are regarded as being great in operations, tech and entrepreneurship, but I heard very little about their soft skills and how well rounded
they are.

London Business School
Pros:
1) Class is extremely diverse (90% of class made of international), which I really appreciate (vs. being an outsider in a US school).
2) People are a bit older and more experienced than at Sloan (29 vs.28). Also, communications students and staff have been really friendly with me.
3) Brand is not as powerful as MIT Sloan, but in international rankings LBS is almost always ahead of MIT Sloan.
3) London (love the European culture)!
4) Cheaper and I can finish in 15 months if I wish to.
Cons:
1) Little opportunities in healthcare.
2) Less selective than MIT Sloan (~6k applications vs. ~3k applications for 400 seats).
3) The feeling that European MBAs are not as well regarded as American ones.
Manager
Manager
B
Re: MIT Sloan vs. London Business School  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Jan 2018, 10:26
Congrats on having two great schools to choose from! Even though European MBAs might not be as well regarded, I think schools like LBS are the exception to that sentiment.

Since you want to go back to Brazil, what has a stronger brand in Brazil? I'd also look at what school has more Brazilians in the class and which school has a bigger alumni network in Brazil.

From the cost piece and the fact that LBS is more international, I'd lean towards LBS if it has a similar reputation to MIT in Brazil. If you don't know about the reputation, talk to people in the types of the companies you'd want to work for.

Good luck!
SVP
SVP
D
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 01 Jan 2018, 16:06
RicoN wrote:
Deal all,
Cons:
1) Program is longer and more expensive vs. LBS (even taking into account the costs of living in London).
2) I visited the school and, to be honest, I didn’t feel a great fit to it. It just didn’t feel very exciting to be there (maybe I just got unlucky with that particular experience ).
3) I have the feeling that Sloan students are regarded as being great in operations, tech and entrepreneurship, but I heard very little about their soft skills and how well rounded
they are.

London Business School
Pros:
1) Class is extremely diverse (90% of class made of international), which I really appreciate (vs. being an outsider in a US school).
2) People are a bit older and more experienced than at Sloan (29 vs.28). Also, communications students and staff have been really friendly with me.
3) Brand is not as powerful as MIT Sloan, but in international rankings LBS is almost always ahead of MIT Sloan.
3) London (love the European culture)!
4) Cheaper and I can finish in 15 months if I wish to.
Cons:
1) Little opportunities in healthcare.
2) Less selective than MIT Sloan (~6k applications vs. ~3k applications for 400 seats).
3) The feeling that European MBAs are not as well regarded as American ones.

IMHO, if you did not have the 'hook' with MIT, then I advise you not to go there. It is something happens spontaneously. You can trust your gut as you want to enjoy your 2 years.

London and INSEAD are out of comparison with any European university. They have famous reputation across Asia and Europe and Africa. It is likely to be also in Brazil. You can search through LinkedIn profiles to figure out. In case of lacking healthcare courses in LBS, you can have exchange program between LBS and wide universities across the globe. Choose the one with healthcare electives and spend time there. I think it will fit your budget as well.
Manager
Manager
S
Schools: Yale '18 (M)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 03 Jan 2018, 01:31
I usually tell people to attend welcome weekends to get a feel for the vibe of the school & community if they're deciding between two offers that are close in value (e.g. Kellogg vs Booth or a full ride from a top 15 school vs no scholarship from a top 5 school). In my opinion, your first impression of the community should only really be used as a tie-breaker, as every school has all kinds of people.

I've come across jerks from schools touted for its collaborative & friendly environment and some of the nicest people from schools stereotyped for its cutthroat-ness. While I definitely know one or two people who matches the stereotype you mentioned from Sloan, the majority of the Sloanies I know are lively characters who are awesome people I enjoy being around.

tl;dr, don't believe in school stereotypes, you'll find people you like in any school.
Intern
Intern
B
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 03 Jan 2018, 13:37
Rico,
If I had one piece of advice I'd ask that you disregard the cost of the programs- I think getting an MBA will bring you a lot of success in your career no matter what (speaking in the long run). The MIT brand is incredibly powerful internationally, and you might get more out of the program given its length. On the plus side, Boston is legit and is also home to the largest Portuguese-speaking community in the US.

Also, we won the American revolution. Go USA
Founder
Founder
V
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 04 Jan 2018, 00:53
Congrats on your admissions and thanks for the detailed post.

Take your boss's boss for lunch and ask him who he would hire - a Sloan grad or an LBS grad. See what he says - it may not matter and he may offer to pay for some of the program cost.

P.S. You either like the US or Europe or something bugs you about it. I could not do London as i feel it is tight, constrained, and left hand driving bugs me but that's me. Either program will be hard and will have challenges and annoyances. You will also find your own circle and place within about 2 weeks and will forget about the worries and concerns you have had as school starts.

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here...
OG2019 Directory is here! - New!
Verbal OG2019 Directory is here! - New!
Quant OG2019 Directory is here! - New!

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Current Student
B
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 05 Feb 2018, 19:01
Don't believe the stereotypes! From what I've seen Sloanies have excellent soft skills (also Sloan is SUPER selective, so they can afford to pick geniuses with people skills). Sloan is known to have a great culture with friendly down to Earth students. As a poster said before me, got to the admit weekend and don't judge it on a first impression.
I am from South America as well, and I have a friend who went to LBS and people keep confusing it with LSE (or think LSE is better), MIT does not have that problem in Latin America.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 14 Feb 2018, 06:02
Hi guys,

Thank you so much for your answers. They really helped me to make my mind between both schools. I ended up deciding to go to Sloan and I am super happy about it.

Take care.

Rico.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 26 Jun 2018, 13:50
Hi guys... RicoN here...

I was accepted off the HBS WL, so thats where I am going now. As someone said earlier, it was the cherry on the cake (Beyond excited). :)

:)

Thanks again.

Take care.

Rico.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: MIT Sloan vs. London Business School &nbs [#permalink] 26 Jun 2018, 13:50

MIT Sloan vs. London Business School

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderators: billionaire, Wilch, swbluedevil

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap