Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 04:37 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 04:37

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [20]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
MBA Section Director
Affiliations: GMAT Club
Own Kudos [?]: 10010 [1]
Given Kudos: 4542
Test: Test
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 628 [0]
Given Kudos: 192
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 592 [0]
Given Kudos: 479
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy
Schools: Duke '16 (M)
Send PM
Re: My 4-yr pre-MBA journey finally ends with destination as ISB [#permalink]
Congratulations!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 73 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
saicharantej99 wrote:
4-year pursuit of an MBA..8 admits..More than 15 rejects..This piece is to share the the things I have learned during this roller-coaster ride, which I hope will help others obviate the obstacles I have encountered..
About me : My name is Saicharantej, a typical IIM (Indian IT Male). Work Experience - 5.5 years in a top MNC. Would be commencing my MBA at ISB this April.
2010 - Realized GMAT is not everything
After seeing the score of 750 flash across the screen, I said to myself - "I have arrived bigtime on the MBA scene". This GMAT score made me believe that I just need to formally apply to the top b-schools and I will be offered admission. With this mindset, I applied to the top b-school in the country, Indian School of Business. Got an interview call with just 2.2 years of experience. I went in to the interview room with huge optimism. Within 15 minutes, all the hopes evaporated. I gave a shocking interview and it ended abruptly within 15 minutes. The rejection made me realize that GMAT is just a piece of the bigger picture.
2011 - Went all guns blazing and applied to 10 b-schools
I was determined to set things straight. I decided to apply for ISB again, this time with a stronger application. As a backup plan, I also decided to apply for top b-schools outside India. But there were just so many good schools out there and I was lost for choice as to which school fits my post-mba goals. In order to navigate the tedious process of b-school admission, I reached out to the admission consultancy - "ExpertsGlobal". I took constant feedback from them on the various facets of the admission process (essays, choice of recommendors, mock interviews etc) and short-listed a list of 10 schools. My interactions with them also completely changed my perspective about the world of MBA. Got admits with full tuition-waiver and scholarship to Smeal, Boston University and also got admitted to IESE, HKU,SP Jain Global MBA, Tepper. But my primary choice ISB did not turn out as expected - I was rejected again after another shocking interview. After considering all the options, I deferred my Tepper offer,let go off all the other offers and decided to give one more shot at ISB the following year.
2012 - Made a mistake
I became a bit over-confident, owing to the admits I got the previous year and so went ahead with applying to b-schools without taking feedback from anyone. Applied to a myriad of other b-schools but was rejected by all of them. I just waited for the application window and applied to ISB as a second-time reapplicant. But this time, I did not even get an interview call - which was a shocker to say the least. Then I realized that I put in too much effort towards interview preparation and grew complacent over my essays. I did not even ask anyone for a second-opinion on my essays. I realized that I made a big mistake. Torn between joining Tepper and waiting for one more year, I decided to give one more shot at ISB as it has always been my school of choice.
2013 - Finally, the coveted call arrived
I decided not to repeat the mistake I've done previous year and reached out to ExpertsGlobal again. Worked with them for two months to gain constant feedback over close to 20 versions of my essays. Also reached out to various alums to get different perspectives on my post-mba goals and profile. Rather than waiting to get into Consulting after doing an MBA, I worked as a freelance consultant for various start-ups and NGOs. I also changed my perspective towards my work at my work-place and proactively took on various challenging projects.These experiences brought more clarity to my post-MBA plans and also helped streamline my essays. All these efforts paid off and I got the interview call from ISB during my 4th time of applying. Took close to 15 mock-interviews with my mentors at ExpertsGlobal over three weeks, fine-tuned my responses and got rid of the interview mental blockade. On the D-day, was able to give my best interview in the past four years and finally got accepted by ISB.

All through this journey, the biggest take-away for me is the feedback and support I received from various quarters - my mentors at ExpertsGlobal, the alums, my colleagues. As I came to learn, having someone guiding you during the admission process, is a huge shot in the arm.

If anyone have any queries regarding the admission process pertaining to the schools mentioned above, do feel free to reach out to me.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 30
Send PM
Hi...many congratulations on making it to ISB...a great story of perseverance.

If i am correct, you have a work experience of ~ 6 years and I have learnt from my friends (ISB grads) that recruiters perefer candidates with less than. 5 years of workex. Just wanted to understand your post-MBA goals and why you chose ISB over international schools.

Just to give you context, I am working with a top MNC bank and have ~6 years of experience. Recently took the GMAT ans scored 740...not sure about MBA as people are advising me against an MBA from India and an MBA from abroad seems too expensive. I have long-term plans for India only.

Look forward to your response and congrats once again.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 33
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V41
GPA: 2.96
WE:Engineering (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Hi Saicharantej,
Congratulations for making it to ISB, and hats off to your perseverance.

Indeed a long journey. I too have the same question as AbhiJ. Why another year's wait for ISB instead of joining CMU-Tepper? Was it because ISB has an 1 year course? That would make sense from an opportunity cost point. This holds great relevance for me since I might find myself in a similar situation next fall, considering that I might apply to both Tepper and ISB.
MBA Blogger
Own Kudos [?]: 123 [0]
Given Kudos: 59
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
Schools: NTU '19
WE:Analyst (Computer Software)
Send PM
saicharantej99 wrote:
4-year pursuit of an MBA..8 admits..More than 15 rejects..This piece is to share the the things I have learned during this roller-coaster ride, which I hope will help others obviate the obstacles I have encountered..
About me : My name is Saicharantej, a typical IIM (Indian IT Male). Work Experience - 5.5 years in a top MNC. Would be commencing my MBA at ISB this April.
After seeing the score of 750 flash across the screen, I said to myself - "I have arrived bigtime on the MBA scene". This GMAT score made me believe that I just need to formally apply to the top b-schools and I will be offered admission. With this mindset, I applied to the top b-school in the country, Indian School of Business. Got an interview call with just 2.2 years of experience. I went in to the interview room with huge optimism. Within 15 minutes, all the hopes evaporated. I gave a shocking interview and it ended abruptly within 15 minutes. The rejection made me realize that GMAT is just a piece of the bigger picture.
I was determined to set things straight. I decided to apply for ISB again, this time with a stronger application. As a backup plan, I also decided to apply for top b-schools outside India. But there were just so many good schools out there and I was lost for choice as to which school fits my post-mba goals. In order to navigate the tedious process of b-school admission, I reached out to the admission consultancy - "ExpertsGlobal". I took constant feedback from them on the various facets of the admission process (essays, choice of recommendors, mock interviews etc) and short-listed a list of 10 schools. My interactions with them also completely changed my perspective about the world of MBA. Got admits with full tuition-waiver and scholarship to Smeal, Boston University and also got admitted to IESE, HKU,SP Jain Global MBA, Tepper. But my primary choice ISB did not turn out as expected - I was rejected again after another shocking interview. After considering all the options, I deferred my Tepper offer,let go off all the other offers and decided to give one more shot at ISB the following year.
2012 - Made a mistake
I became a bit over-confident, owing to the admits I got the previous year and so went ahead with applying to b-schools without taking feedback from anyone. Applied to a myriad of other b-schools but was rejected by all of them. I just waited for the application window and applied to ISB as a second-time reapplicant. But this time, I did not even get an interview call - which was a shocker to say the least. Then I realized that I put in too much effort towards interview preparation and grew complacent over my essays. I did not even ask anyone for a second-opinion on my essays. I realized that I made a big mistake. Torn between joining Tepper and waiting for one more year, I decided to give one more shot at ISB as it has always been my school of choice.
I decided not to repeat the mistake I've done previous year and reached out to ExpertsGlobal again. Worked with them for two months to gain constant feedback over close to 20 versions of my essays. Also reached out to various alums to get different perspectives on my post-mba goals and profile. Rather than waiting to get into Consulting after doing an MBA, I worked as a freelance consultant for various start-ups and NGOs. I also changed my perspective towards my work at my work-place and proactively took on various challenging projects.These experiences brought more clarity to my post-MBA plans and also helped streamline my essays. All these efforts paid off and I got the interview call from ISB during my 4th time of applying. Took close to 15 mock-interviews with my mentors at ExpertsGlobal over three weeks, fine-tuned my responses and got rid of the interview mental blockade. On the D-day, was able to give my best interview in the past four years and finally got accepted by ISB.

All through this journey, the biggest take-away for me is the feedback and support I received from various quarters - my mentors at ExpertsGlobal, the alums, my colleagues. As I came to learn, having someone guiding you during the admission process, is a huge shot in the arm.

If anyone have any queries regarding the admission process pertaining to the schools mentioned above, do feel free to reach out to me.

Congratulations for your admission to ISB. So many people here have a dream to go to ISB (including me)!!
Can you please share some more details regarding the class structure(culture) and their work experience? I am working in MNC and have ~3.5 yrs of work exp. and Looking for a change in career!!

Thanks and Regards.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
WE:Supply Chain Management (Manufacturing)
Send PM
saicharantej99 wrote:
2012 - Made a mistake

Hi Tej,

Congrats for getting an admit from ISB.
I have only 690 in gmat. (Q50, V34, IR-6, AWA-5)

My background :

10th : 94%
12th : 96.92%
UG : B.E. Mechanical (Anna University, chennai)
CGPA : 8.65 / 10
Work : 3.5 yrs (as on 01.01.2016)
Company : Hyundai Motor India Limited

i need your advice on how to give my best shot in ISB essay as they are very competitive. What all should i have to focus on and what i should not miss in ISB essay ?

Your insights will be very valuable.
Regards,
Siva
RSM Erasmus Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1360 [0]
Given Kudos: 641
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
Schools: Erasmus (II)
Send PM
Hi Tej,

Congrats for getting an admit from ISB.
I have only 690 in gmat. (Q50, V34, IR-6, AWA-5)

My background :

10th : 94%
12th : 96.92%
UG : B.E. Mechanical (Anna University, chennai)
CGPA : 8.65 / 10
Work : 3.5 yrs (as on 01.01.2016)
Company : Hyundai Motor India Limited

i need your advice on how to give my best shot in ISB essay as they are very competitive. What all should i have to focus on and what i should not miss in ISB essay ?

Your insights will be very valuable.
Regards,
Siva[/quote]

Hi Siva,

you can get more information and assistance if you direct you question to the the 'Ask Admission Consultants" in the following link:

ask-admission-consultants-124/?fl=menu
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
What an inspiring story, thanks for sharing!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 73 [0]
Given Kudos: 63
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V36
GMAT 2: 730 Q50 V39
Send PM
I don't know why this whole story looks like advertisement of Experts Global ??
GMAT Club Bot