It is currently 20 Sep 2017, 04:26

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

My Profile evaluation with GMAT-750 and 7.8 years of IT experience

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 8

Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
GMAT 2: 750 Q50 V41
GPA: 3.29
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
My Profile evaluation with GMAT-750 and 7.8 years of IT experience [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Aug 2017, 03:22
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Hi everyone,

This is Bharadwaj from Bangalore, India. I am planning to do MBA in ISB, or in some other reputed B school in US or Europe. I am only interested in one year MBA programs, as I have some personal commitments and can't be without a job for more than a year. I do have considerable IT experience in organizations such as TCS and Capgemini. I worked on the technical side of ERP with experience in SAP Business Warehousing and SAP HANA. I have had the opportunity to work in Germany for a couple of months on Schengen Visa Work permit in 2013 at SAP Client office, Walldorf.

Planning to start MBA in 2018. Programs that start by January 2019 are also fine.
Experience as of Aug 2017:- 7 years 8 months
GMAT score:- 750 Q-50 V-41 IR-8 AWA-5
Class X percentage:- 85.5
Class 12 Percentage:- 88.2
Btech in IT percenatage:- 64.8 ; GPA as per University defined formula - 3.3
Graduation college:- SVEC affiliated to JNTU-A University

I have sent my GMAT reports to the following Programs:-

ISB PGP
Cornell Tech MBA
Emory one year MBA
Kellogg one year MBA
IE International MBA
Insead

I don't have any extra curricular activities/achievements or community service to show-case. I have got 2 recognition awards for my efforts in the team, and I have got certified in organization level certifications related to SAP. I worked for a few months as a back up team lead for a team consisting of 10. Please let me know how much my profile weighs with other applicants aspiring to join in those programs. I am willing to get into Information Technology industry post MBA, as I already have significant experience in the industry. I won't shy away from getting into Consulting roles or roles involving Data analytics.

Advice regarding the above programs and my chances of getting into one of those programs are appreciated. At the same time, I would love to know more about any other programs that suit my goals.

Thanks
Bharadwaj Sangaraju

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 8

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Admissionado
S

Kudos [?]: 955 [1], given: 48

Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School
Re: My Profile evaluation with GMAT-750 and 7.8 years of IT experience [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Aug 2017, 23:54
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
sangarajubharadwaj wrote:
Hi everyone,

This is Bharadwaj from Bangalore, India. I am planning to do MBA in ISB, or in some other reputed B school in US or Europe. I am only interested in one year MBA programs, as I have some personal commitments and can't be without a job for more than a year. I do have considerable IT experience in organizations such as TCS and Capgemini. I worked on the technical side of ERP with experience in SAP Business Warehousing and SAP HANA. I have had the opportunity to work in Germany for a couple of months on Schengen Visa Work permit in 2013 at SAP Client office, Walldorf.

Planning to start MBA in 2018. Programs that start by January 2019 are also fine.

ISB PGP
Cornell Tech MBA
Emory one year MBA
Kellogg one year MBA
IE International MBA
Insead

I don't have any extra curricular activities/achievements or community service to show-case. I have got 2 recognition awards for my efforts in the team, and I have got certified in organization level certifications related to SAP. I worked for a few months as a back up team lead for a team consisting of 10. Please let me know how much my profile weighs with other applicants aspiring to join in those programs. I am willing to get into Information Technology industry post MBA, as I already have significant experience in the industry. I won't shy away from getting into Consulting roles or roles involving Data analytics.

Advice regarding the above programs and my chances of getting into one of those programs are appreciated. At the same time, I would love to know more about any other programs that suit my goals.

Thanks
Bharadwaj Sangaraju

Dear Bharadwaj,
First of all, fantastic GMAT you got there! That will definitely help boost your profile.

Right now the thing is from the way you present yourself, your profile lacks depth and breadth. Now it may be there! And in fact in your application your job will be to bring it out. But if you just tell people "I've been doing IT stuff for 8 years" it is not gonna sound very impressive.

So the first is to rethink how you present yourself. The most important things will be for you to present yourself as a leader and a teammate, and showcase your MBA/Business skills. Secondly, you don't want to give an image of an IT guy who has stagnated, so it will be important for you to show how you have grown and improved over the years, and how this naturally leads to an MBA. finally, you mentioned you don't have much in the way of ECs which is too bad, but it is important at this juncture to make the best of what you DO have.

But first of all, before we get into schools: what are your goals? Short and long term? And why did you choose those schools you chose? Do you only want to attend one-year programs? Do you have a preference of the US or Europe? What is it you want to do, and how is the MBA supposed to get you there?

If you would like a more in-depth profile evaluation, drop us a line, and we will hook you up!
http://bit.ly/mbafcGC

Best,
Jon

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado | Packages | Success Stories | Team

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!

Kudos [?]: 955 [1], given: 48

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
B
Affiliations: 99colleges.com

Kudos [?]: 22 [1], given: 4

Schools: Wharton
Re: My Profile evaluation with GMAT-750 and 7.8 years of IT experience [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Aug 2017, 23:02
This post received
KUDOS
Hi sangarajubharadwaj,

Because there are lots of Indian tech guys applying to B-schools, it’s important for you to differentiate yourself in some way from others. Your odds will also depend on how well-rounded your profile comes across in terms of business/ managerial skills (working with diverse set of people, stepping up during difficult times, disproportionate impact, career progression, mentoring and so on) because your work has largely been tech. On target schools, Stern has launched a tech MBA this year. Downside, it’s new and you can’t see track record.

Anil, MBA (Wharton)| MBA Admissions Consultant

Consulting| Contact at anil@99colleges.com for your queries on MBA Admissions
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

And if you couldn’t make it earlier, get a free ding analysis

Kudos [?]: 22 [1], given: 4

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Experts' Global Representative
B

Kudos [?]: 8 [1], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 22 Aug 2017, 06:58
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
sangarajubharadwaj wrote:
Hi everyone,

ISB PGP
Cornell Tech MBA
Emory one year MBA
Kellogg one year MBA
IE International MBA
Insead

Thanks
Bharadwaj Sangaraju

Hi sangarajubharadwaj,

We are bit late in responding to you but we hope this reaches you in time.

First things first, you have an excellent GMAT score and it will definitely help your case ☺

Now, while you do have extensive work experience, your profile is hardly unconventional. Therefore, it is important that you put together a stellar application that focuses on the person you really are, differentiates you from others, focuses on your growth trajectory, speaks of your managerial experience, and appropriately presents your strengths. Remember, you essays should also portray a logical flow between your work experience and future goals.

If you are able to take care of the above in your essays, you have a very strong chance at making it to your dream school ☺

We would like to take this opportunity to provide you a free profile evaluation. Should you feel the need for the same, please do let us know.

All the best with everything! ☺

Akanksha Baldawa
Experts' Global
Students from 20+ nationalities
Every 10th Indian in US top 50 is our student!
$ 2Mn+ Scholarship Each Year Since 2010!
GMAT Prep | GMAT Practice Tests
MBA Admissions Consulting | MBA Interview Preparation

Kudos [?]: 8 [1], given: 0

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 36 [1], given: 9

Show Tags

New post 25 Aug 2017, 03:21
This post received
KUDOS
Hi Bharadwaj,

I think you have got some excellent responses already.

I just wanted to pick one thing you have mentioned in your write-up: "I don't have any extra curricular activities/achievements or community service to show-case. I have got 2 recognition awards for my efforts in the team, and I have got certified in organization level certifications related to SAP. I worked for a few months as a backup team lead for a team consisting of 10."

You are the hero of your story - so you really, really need to dig deeper and ask yourself HOW will you differentiate yourself from another candidate with similar experience and similar GMAT score? There are plenty of IT engineers with great GMAT scores for the schools you are applying to. So unless you do so - it is going to be hard. Please think about what I am saying here.

Here is evaluation for the schools:

ISB PGP
>> Very high chance. ISB typically accepts people with your kind of profile.

Cornell Tech MBA
>> A lot of competition from other profiles very similar to yours but can be a stretch school.

Emory one year MBA
>> A lot of competition from other profiles very similar to yours but can be a reach school.

Kellogg one year MBA
>> I hope you have checked their requirements of certain pre-enrolment courses:http://www.kellogg.northwestern.edu/programs/full-time-mba/one-year-mba-program.aspx

IE International MBA
>> Very high chance. I assume you are okay coming back to India as getting a job in Spain / Europe is unlikely.

Insead
>> You just have 3 months experience in Germany. INSEAD needs people with an international focus (which translates to more experience/exposure). IMO this would be your biggest challenge.

Arun

PS: Check out my signature for a new video series that I have started for people applying to R1. I give some tips on how to differentiate your profile in the second video.

Access your free trial GMAT course consisting of 15+ videos to Boost your GMAT Scores:

http://gmatonline.crackverbal.com

Kudos [?]: 36 [1], given: 9

Re: My Profile evaluation with GMAT-750 and 7.8 years of IT experience   [#permalink] 25 Aug 2017, 03:21