Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 17:58 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 17:58

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 99 [0]
Given Kudos: 57
Concentration: General Management, Finance
WE:General Management (Transportation)
Send PM
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22049 [0]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 396 [0]
Given Kudos: 114
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.15
WE:Accounting (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Re: Need a new approach for preparing. [#permalink]
Go for inline course.
I would suggest Target test prep for Quant and Egmat or Gmatwhiz for Verbal.
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [0]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Expert Reply
Prashanth1305 wrote:
1st mock - Total Score - 500; Q46 V15
2nd Mock - Total Score - 540; Q44 V20
3rd Mock - Total Score - 400; Q18 V25
4th Mock - Total Score - 480; Q40 V18.

I'm unable to recognize the pattern here

The pattern is extremely evident here. While both Quant and Verbal need to be improved, Verbal needs a massive, huge, and significant improvement.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
ScottTargetTestPrep wrote:
Hi Prashanth1305,

I have a very important question. What is your GMAT score goal? Once I have that information, I can provide some additional advice.

Hey ScottTargetTestPrep,

I'm looking for a score around 710.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11665 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi Prashanth1305,

Before I can offer you the specific advice that you’re looking for, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on how you've been studying and your goals:

1) How long have you studied in total? Over the last 3 months, how many hours did you typically study each week?
2) What study materials have you used so far?
3) You listed 4 specific CAT/mock Scores. On what dates did you take EACH of those CATs/mocks?
4) When are you planning to apply to Business School and what Schools are you planning to apply to?

Based on the CAT/mock Scores that you listed, if we assume that you current 'ability level' is right around 500, then you will likely need far more than another 20 days of study before you can consistently score 710+. Statistically-speaking, raising a 500 to the point that you can consistently score 710+ will likely require that you commit to at least another 3 months of consistent, guided study - and you'll have to make significant improvements to how you handle BOTH the Quant and Verbal sections. Thankfully, the GMAT is a consistent, predictable Exam, so you CAN train to score at a higher level.

While there's no harm in taking the GMAT in December, if you are going to keep studying and retesting until you score at that higher level, then you can potentially save some time, money and frustration by pushing back your planned Test Date.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Send PM
Expert Reply
Prashanth1305 wrote:
Hi Prashanth1305,

I have a very important question. What is your GMAT score goal? Once I have that information, I can provide some additional advice.

Hey ScottTargetTestPrep,

I think hitting your score goal in just 20 days will be quite difficult. Can you push ack your GMAT, study longer, and take it once you are ready to do so?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
Prashanth1305 wrote:
Hi Prashanth1305,

Hey ScottTargetTestPrep,

I think hitting your score goal in just 20 days will be quite difficult. Can you push ack your GMAT, study longer, and take it once you are ready to do so?

Hey ScottTargetTestPrep,

Thanks for the responses. I guess I'll have to stick with the current schedule, maybe give another attempt if required.

Also, I gave another mock today, my scores - Q41 and V32. (IR 1) total of 600.
I started practicing IR a couple of days before. Does IR have any impact on the final score or during the application process?

Improved a bit in Verbal comparatively and my quant scores are the same. I still feel I might get a decent score on the test day.

On Verbal, I struggled a lot with Time management, the equation was 23 Q's with 27 min's left. I couldn't answer them with ease. Any suggestions on the time management aspect?

Thanks in Advance,
Prashant
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: CrackVerbal
Own Kudos [?]: 7626 [0]
Given Kudos: 215
Send PM
Top Contributor
Hi Prashanth,
We are happy to help you out with your questions here.

APPROACH:

With around three weeks at hand, you need to complete the concepts of every chapter and understand the nuances behind it. Try understanding a concept by practicing questions related to the concept.

We suggest practicing questions of increasing level of difficulty and focusing on reaching the solutions with multiple thought approaches (like using the options, elimination, back solving, etc. as discussed in our videos), instead of looking at the solutions in case you are unable to solve in the first go. That way, you will improve on your thinking pattern.

We also suggest you to have an integrated approach towards completing the concepts. Instead of treating chapters as solitary topics, try linking them.

(For example, link short cuts of percentage in questions of rates, speed and distance. Look at the area as one whole topic and improve on thinking.)

MOCKS & REAL TEST:

The mocks are designed to fit the real time scenario and if you have invested good time in practicing and thinking through them, the chances of increasing your score on the real test also increases proportionately. It seems you have already reached a 600.So, push it harder and raise the bar for yourself.

OG QUESTIONS:

The questions designed in OG depends on your performance and accuracy. Also, if you have practiced enough, you will find the questions to be doable.

Finally, we suggest you to keep going, put in the effort to cover all the concepts, practice reaching solutions using options and focus more on how many questions you get right by thinking till you reach the solution without giving up.

Keep your thinking on an ACTIVE mode.

Wishing you all the best! :)
GMATWhiz Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 1800 [0]
Given Kudos: 68
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V41
GMAT 2: 760 Q51 V40
Send PM
Expert Reply
Prashanth1305 wrote:
Hello,

I started my preparation a while ago and took the Experts Global Test series - 15 length Full mock tests to help me out with my exams.

Also, for preparation, I used Manhattan Guides, Crack Verbal, and OG for most of the part.

I have my GMAT scheduled for Dec 8th and am super optimistic regarding this ( My mock scores say otherwise, but still super pumped up).

My Scores are as follows.

1st mock - Total Score - 500; Q46 V15
2nd Mock - Total Score - 540; Q44 V20
3rd Mock - Total Score - 400; Q18 V25
4th Mock - Total Score - 480; Q40 V18.

I'm unable to recognize the pattern here, I tried analyzing the previous test before taking a new one, but nothing worked out yet.
I solved both the OG and Manhattan guides completely for Quant and Verbal.

So these are my questions.

1. What kind of approach should I take? given that my test day is almost 20 days from today.
2. How close are these mocks compared to the real test?
3. Are the questions provided in OG very easy compared to the ones in the test?

Waiting for a response.

Thanks in Advance :)

Hi Prashanth,

Looking at your mock scores, I think you have a long way to go. And honestly, that would not be possible in 20 days. I would suggets you to reschedule your test if possible, prepare and then give the test. To answer your questions:
  • I think I have answered your first question. You cannot improve in a month. I can suggest you the right way t approach once you have ample time to prepare.
  • Even though the mocks you not are not very adaptive, 500 is a very low score.
  • OG is a collection of questions from the previous GMAT tests

I suggest we get in touch over a call and discuss your study strategy so that you do not waste any further time. You can use the below link to schedule a free consultation call.

Click here to schedule a call
Send PM
Need a new approach for preparing. [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Prashanth1305 wrote:
Hey ScottTargetTestPrep,

Thanks for the responses. I guess I'll have to stick with the current schedule, maybe give another attempt if required.

Also, I gave another mock today, my scores - Q41 and V32. (IR 1) total of 600.
I started practicing IR a couple of days before. Does IR have any impact on the final score or during the application process?

Improved a bit in Verbal comparatively and my quant scores are the same. I still feel I might get a decent score on the test day.

On Verbal, I struggled a lot with Time management, the equation was 23 Q's with 27 min's left. I couldn't answer them with ease. Any suggestions on the time management aspect?

Thanks in Advance,
Prashant

I actually have two very helpful articles regarding how to improve in SC and RC:

GMAT Reading Comprehension Tips: Top 8 DOs and DON’Ts

GMAT Sentence Correction: 8 Essential Tips
GMAT Club Bot
Need a new approach for preparing. [#permalink]